Kaminario K2 [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kaminario K2 [EOL] is the #31 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Kaminario K2 [EOL] vs Pure Storage FlashArray

What is Kaminario K2 [EOL]?

Kaminario K2 is the world’s only storage solution that delivers the predictability needed to handle the highly unpredictable world of modern businesses. This highly flexible all flash storage platform allows customers to cost-effectively scale capacity and performance to support their ever-changing business –seamlessly, on-demand and with no disruptions.

Data Sheet and eBook

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Kaminario K2 [EOL] Customers

Wargaming.net, El Rio Community Health Center, ECN, SpotOption, Ashkelon College, Clearwater Analytics, Intigua, Cobb EMC

Customer Case Study

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Director of Engineering at Telefonica
We can now complete all heavy tasks without any impact on the production traffic

What is our primary use case?

production real time environments in 3 data centers Miami, London and Frankfurt About 4500 virtual machines

• "Inline compression"
  • "Improved scale and budget planning with flexibility of the solution for budget needs and efficiency for growth with the great optimization ratio due to the nature of our use."

What other advice do I have?

I started with Kaminario searching for one solution for all our services from the perspective of looking forward to the best of bread, which will support our huge planned growth, allowing both technical and budget to co-exist peacefully. From my perspective, it is a huge success fulfilling everything we needed and more!
it_user730338
Senior Account Executive at Nordisk systems
It is extremely simple, performant, and scalable due to adaptive block size and scale out

• "Scale out is a differentiator for them, especially in the enterprise market. It's key for a lot of customers."
  • "I would love to see capacity on its DRAM. I know it's not cost effective for them to do it, but I think that it could be a big differentiator and was a big differentiator from the beginning."

What other advice do I have?

I think that the latest government reports are pretty telling. If you look at the latest government reports on how they're ranked in all the different categories, they pretty much blow them all away. The only things that they didn't blow away are the things I just talked about in the previous questions. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Technology is probably number one. They've got to have great technology. They've got to have a great sales and engineering support staff to know that when we're putting our name behind it, that customers trust us. Our name's on it just as much as…
Find out what your peers are saying about Silk, Pure Storage, Dell EMC and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: August 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user683460
IT Manager,DBA at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
​The primary benefit is they actually guarantee performance and capacity.

• "The increased performance is many times above our previous array performance in all metrics. Integration with vSphere features is also a definite plus."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to make a real cost comparison based on performance and ability; don’t just buy from someone because they’re the biggest company.
    it_user509220
    IT Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    We're using it for our continuous-build system. With a lot of the same systems with the same information, data de-dupe is huge.

• "The speed and, for us in particular in what we're doing, the data de-duplication."

What other advice do I have?

If you’re looking for an all-flash-based solution, I would absolutely recommend a Kaminario K2 system.
      it_user597600
      Vice President / Chief Information Officer at a healthcare company
      The logic/software management is one of the most valuable features.

• "Logic/software management"
      • "The interface look and feel could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Spend time with the engineering staff to understand current and future offerings. I was impressed.
      MB
      IT and Facilities Lead at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      Built-in snapshot support gives us SAN-side functionality most other platforms license separately.

• "Built-in snapshot support gives us SAN-side functionality most other platforms would have had us license separately."
      • "The front panel of the drive shelf doesn't always seat firmly."

What other advice do I have?

Make use of the team Kaminario provides in the sales and post-sales processes. They're an invaluable resource in streamlining a deployment.
      it_user592860
      System Administrator at a consumer goods company
      ​Data reduction and snapshot abilities mean a smaller footprint in the datacenter.

• "Data reduction and snapshot abilities: Smaller footprint in the datacenter (lower cost for power, cooling, etc.)."
      • "A single pane of glass to monitor/manage multiple arrays would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product that is continually improving.
      it_user590436
      Security Big Data Analysis Team at a government with 1-10 employees
      Provides deduplication, compression, snapshots, and asynchronous replication without separate licensing.

How has it helped my organization?

The functionality is very good.

What is most valuable?

It provides a full feature set without separate licensing (deduplication, compression, snapshot, asynchronous replication, stable performance, etc.).

What needs improvement?

I would like them to come down in price. It is as expensive as EMC, Hitachi, and other major vendors. I would like them to improve the look of the product’s external casing and shelves.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would rate technical support with an 8 out of 10.

The software part of…
      it_user342342
      Director Of Information Technology at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      All features are provided in the licensing. Provisioning large numbers of virtual desktops has sped up, helping push out necessary updates.

• "The most valuable aspect is the use of solid-state storage drives instead of spinning drives."
      • "The management graphical interface needs more improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Compare the hardware technology of competing solutions and features against the all flash Kaminario with the cost.
      it_user509226
      Network Administrator at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
      It gives us the latency performance that we wanted.

• "Latency is definitely the big key for us."
      • "Some of the nice to haves for us, in terms of today, would be VVols but again, it’s not a critical feature."

What other advice do I have?

When we start working with a vendor like Kaminario, we look for longevity. We look for a company that has a good report. We look for compatibility with the software that we use. Those are big keys for us. I think this product hits all the big features of all the SANs that are out there, all the storage vendors that are out there and more. In terms of performance, scalability, scaling out, scaling up, it's all there.
      it_user509229
      Senior DevOps Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
      We were looking for a solution that offers block-level deduplication.

• "The capacity that we're saving by using Kaminario's K2 is giving us a four-to-one ratio for our deduplication."
      • "I would like to see LDAP for the management panel; I've been notified they might be currently working on it."

What other advice do I have?

When I decide to work with a vendor like Kaminario, I look for, honestly, cost effectiveness. I like the most bang for our buck. I definitely look at performance metrics. I'm not so much interested in whether they're a big power player like EMC or Dell or anything like that. To me, the truth is in the numbers. As far as advice, I'd recommend, if they're looking for a flash-based solution for high throughput, low latency, and high IOPS, check out Kaminario's K2, because so far it's worked for us; we've provided a testimony for them. Honestly, for us to stretch ourselves out there and do that…
      it_user509223
      System Engineer - R&D at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      MSP
      The ratio between the physical storage and the storage we use is high.

Valuable Features

It has a very good duplication rate; very, very good. The ratio between the physical storage and the storage we use is very high. Good performance.

Room for Improvement

I think it should have better performance with small files. With big data, its performance is top notch, but it is difficult to load small files.

We had problems before. It crashed a couple of times, but we had good support from Kaminario. They gave us another storage app and we could replicate between the two, so if the crashes continued, we had another app. They fixed the crashing problem and since then, it's been okay.

I think it is scalable. You can buy another shelf any time you need one.

Technical support is…
      it_user509214
      IT Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      It gave us a better dedupe rate on our mixed workload, including SQL backend infrastructure.

• "The most valuable feature is definitely the always-on data deduplication."
      • "I'm hoping to see Active Directory integration. Right now, you still have to use a local admin account to log in and manage everything."

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend giving it a shot. Kaminario will let you try it for free. They'll let you run your production workload on it. They pretty much hold your hand the whole way. There's nothing really bad that could happen that I could see. The dashboard's too easy. The engineering team is too easy.
      it_user509217
      IT Manager Of Infrastructure Services at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Speed has been the most valuable feature. We like how it is easy to spin up a LUN and get going.

• "Ease of use: My installers - my administrators over the system - they love how easy and fast it is to install and spin up a LUN and get going."
      • "I would like to see them work with Cisco, so it comes off the FIs, instead of having to go through my 10-gig network."

What other advice do I have?

Go with it. I tell people all the time they need to take a serious look at it. If they're looking for speed, reliability, and the deduplication that they'll be getting out of it, this is definitely a great product to look at. My rating mainly reflects that I'm not using its full potential. I want to see what it can do. But it's up there. It's a really good product.
      it_user448698
      Senior Systems Engineer in the Storage & Systems Practice at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Straightforward GUI, no issues with performance and it is easy to use.

• "The GUI is very straightforward and easy to use."
      • "The system currently has a 15TB LUN size limit and that snapshots need to be scheduled through script API instead of the GUI."

What other advice do I have?

As with any all flash array, deduplication and compression rates are important factors in calculating usable capacity. A dedupe assessment will help a lot.
      Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Knowing it can scale up and out, that would mean that it could hold around 154 TB of Flash.
      Originally posted at https://www.vdicloud.nl/2015/09/09/kaminario-7-months-after-storage-field-day-7/  All Flash Arrays (AFA) are hot for a couple of years now, and for a good reason! During Storage Field Day 1 we had 3 AFA vendors presenting with Kaminario, NimbusData and PureStorage. Although they have a different go-to-market strategies, as well as a different technology strategies, all three are still standing (allthough 1 of them seems to be struggling…) At Storage Field Day 7 we had the privilege to get another Kaminario presentation and in this post I would like to take some time to see what Kaminario offers, and what new features they presented the last couple of months. The K2 All-Flash Array There are couple of features provided by Kaminario that I find…
      VR
      Storage Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      ​Improved performance by more than 50x on our application but replication and de-duplication could be better.

What is most valuable?

Performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved performance by more than 50x on our application.

What needs improvement?

Replication and de-duplication could be better.

1.5 yrs.

No issues with deployment.

One time, there was a node failure and host lost connectivity.

Yes, need to halt the system in order to scale it out (but I guess in the later version, they can scale on the fly - not sure).

Customer Service: Good Customer Service. Technical Support: Good Technical Support. …