Kaminario K2 [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Kaminario K2 [EOL]?

Kaminario K2 is the world’s only storage solution that delivers the predictability needed to handle the highly unpredictable world of modern businesses. This highly flexible all flash storage platform allows customers to cost-effectively scale capacity and performance to support their ever-changing business –seamlessly, on-demand and with no disruptions.

Data Sheet and eBook

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Kaminario K2 [EOL] Customers

Wargaming.net, El Rio Community Health Center, ECN, SpotOption, Ashkelon College, Clearwater Analytics, Intigua, Cobb EMC

Customer Case Study

Archived Kaminario K2 [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

AT
Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A solution with a simple configuration and good stability but it's quite expensive

• "Implementation of the solution is very simple."
  • "Access to technical support should be improved for our region. Technical support is good, but they're very hard to access."

What is most valuable?

The solution has a very simple configuration. It has a good configuration, it's very simple.

What needs improvement?

When we have a problem with this storage, it's usually related to a very bad configuration.

All-Flash Storage is very, very expensive. They are important solutions so I don't really have any ideas about how to rectify this.

The device could use better monitoring tools.

I've been using the solution for three to four years.

The stability of the solution is very good. They're very high-end devices.

It has the best technical support because technical support is very important for this country because their reference is very, very hard to access for this solution. Technical support is very good.

The implementation of the solution is very simple. You just need to create a LAN and mount the host.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

I would rate this solution seven out of ten. If you need about high IOM, I would advise that you buy this device. You need to ensure you really need it for your organization, however, as it is quite expensive.

Director of Engineering at Telefonica
We can now complete all heavy tasks without any impact on the production traffic

• "Inline compression"
  • "Improved scale and budget planning with flexibility of the solution for budget needs and efficiency for growth with the great optimization ratio due to the nature of our use."

What is our primary use case?

production real time environments in 3 data centers

Miami, London and Frankfurt

About 4500 virtual machines

How has it helped my organization?

We used to be work with EMC solutions VNX and VMAX, which were very costly, hard to maintain, and no matter how many upgrades we did every year, it was always a bottleneck and the first place to look during an operational issue.

After we upgraded, I don't remember anyone in the company coming to check if the problem was with the storage and all the DB transactions that caused downtime in the past are now a daily event without anyone noticing.

What is most valuable?

• Inline deduplication
  • Inline compression
  • Scale in and out
  • Easy operation
  • Extremity low latency
  • Stability

I can sleep at night.

What needs improvement?

The change resolved many coding issues that we had which required a long development process to resolve performance which become not critical - clearing time for new product features.

Dramatic operational relief.

More than five years.

I didn't encounter any stability issues. It actually proved to be very stable and robust, even when one of our DC was suffering power issues due to a faulty UPS. After the power was unstable and the K2 nodes shut down using its own batteries. The reviving process was amazing as we were able to power up over 1000 VM servers with running service in less than two minutes. (The process that took two to three hours with the old storage solution.)

Scalability proved to be very easy as when we decided to add more capacity and more drawers. The process was seamless without any impact on the production traffic.

Very high - boutique level with great personal responses and very quick solutions.

Technical support was amazing as they went the extra mile to get us solutions for migration from complex issues that we had on our old systems, providing hardware, software, and ongoing support until process was completely satisfactory to us.

We used to be an EMC end-to-end solution utilizing VNXs and VMAX.

The solutions were very expensive, hard to maintain (not flexible), and the bottom line is that it didn't provide the required service causing many production issues, not holding the needed load.

The initial setup was complex as we install all our HW remotely and started a migration process from old system that needed additional HW and software provided by the Kaminario team with full support. it took two to three days until we were up and running on the new systems without any interruption to the production traffic

We implemented directly with Kaminario's tech team.

The level of expertise was very high.

We have had ROI in a few areas:

• With operational complexity reduced, operational incidents and troubleshooting don't exist anymore.
  • Service benefit is a huge performance boost. Time to complete tasks have reduced dramatically, and now, we can complete all heavy tasks without any impact on the production traffic.
  • Budget planning is very easy as we closed pricing ahead of all needed future upgrades, but we were surprised as the storage efficiency grows, we add more and more machines and we had savings that we didn't plan on.

The Kaminario setup is simple and there are no hidden licensing fees so this area is a relief.

Yes, i have evaluated and tested both XtremIO and 3Par.

Other solutions were examined, but not tested (Pure, Nimble, IBM, and Hitachi).

3Par is technologically behind, while XtremIO was good but missing only a few areas that affect the efficiency and budget.

What other advice do I have?

I started with Kaminario searching for one solution for all our services from the perspective of looking forward to the best of bread, which will support our huge planned growth, allowing both technical and budget to co-exist peacefully. From my perspective, it is a huge success fulfilling everything we needed and more!

Find out what your peers are saying about Silk, Pure Storage, Dell EMC and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user730338
Senior Account Executive at Nordisk systems
It is extremely simple, performant, and scalable due to adaptive block size and scale out

• "Scale out is a differentiator for them, especially in the enterprise market. It's key for a lot of customers."
  • "I would love to see capacity on its DRAM. I know it's not cost effective for them to do it, but I think that it could be a big differentiator and was a big differentiator from the beginning."

What is most valuable?

• Scale out: Scale out is a differentiator for them, especially in the enterprise market. It's key for a lot of customers.
  • There's no forced forklift upgrades. The customer that has a first generation of the product or later of the product knows that they will all work together harmoniously.
  • The data round is not a big deal. There's no hard down points to this stuff, which can be a big differentiator.
  • Adaptive block size is another differentiator. A lot of customers nowadays commoditize their storage. They want it as easy and simple as possible. A lot of storage rates out there, they do different block sizes very well. Where they can change block sizes, or set certain block sizes. You don't worry about any of that with Kaminario. The adaptive block size just moves it around, gets it all figured out, and does it. Where I see this working well with a lot of customers, are those who want something extremely simple, performant, and scalable.

It's very hard to tell what else is super important to customers. Besides, maybe it's obvious stuff like the maintenance program. They have a great maintenance program and as the systems go up, year over year, it stays the same. It can go down, but won't go up, year over year. So coupled with the simplicity, performance, and just absolute ease of use of the management of it, I don't know why anyone wouldn't buy it. I'm kind of confused why people don't buy it, actually. I know there's a lot of political talk where people will buy, an EMC, HP, or IBM. These guys have got some of the best venture capitalists behind them and they've got some of the best numbers quarter over quarter. Otherwise, I don't know why people wouldn't want to even look at this product.

What needs improvement?

They might not like me saying this, but I would love to see capacity on its DRAM. I know it's not cost effective for them to do it, but I think that it could be a big differentiator and was a big differentiator from the beginning. It might make the reseller's jobs easier. Not having to wait for something; just give them the quote for the amount of time, they can have as much as they want. That message resonated very well with customers, as you can imagine, so I wish that came back. I understand why it's not there, financially it doesn't make sense, but I wish it were still around.

I wish they had more ISP or certified partnerships with specific use cases. For instance, epic and health care would be a huge use case that I know they're working on. But there's a few of those, like epic and health care where it might not matter if it's the best technology, the best people, or the best support system. If it's not on a specific list or a conference level, I think if they worked hard at what they're doing at getting these ISPs and specific application awarenesses to these companies that it would be gold mine.

Stability has been great. We have a number of customers on it. We also run it internally in our managed service cloud. It's been spectacular: no issues. In fact, when we demo to our customers who are not going into our managed service environment, we show them how it's functioning in the cloud: our cloud. Then, we let them talk to the customers of ours that are using it, in our cloud. So we don't just rely on it for its reputation to customers, but we rely on it for its reputation for our managed service satchel cloud customers as well. We don't think of it as just a transaction, although it can be, we think of it as a long-term play for the viability of the company as a whole.

It's amazing. I think we're up to 16 nodes now that they can go out, on a scale out. I don't know the exact number on petabytes. But I don't know of anything else that, scale capacity and performance at the same time, at the level that Kaminario can do.

I personally have not used technical support. I have many customers who have used them, and who have had great experiences.

We do sell multiple products. But when Kaminario was brought to our attention, it became the core focus for most of our customers. There are some mid-market SMB customers that it may not fit the best for from a pricing perspective, but for the vast majority of our customers, once we aware of it and learned about the technology which it performed with, it fits a very useful metric.

I'm an account executive. So, I'm not smart enough to set one up. Although, they say I can because it's so simple, but I don't want to try. I'll leave that to the smart guys.

What other advice do I have?

I think that the latest government reports are pretty telling. If you look at the latest government reports on how they're ranked in all the different categories, they pretty much blow them all away. The only things that they didn't blow away are the things I just talked about in the previous questions.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Technology is probably number one. They've got to have great technology. They've got to have a great sales and engineering support staff to know that when we're putting our name behind it, that customers trust us. Our name's on it just as much as Kaminario's name is on it. So, we have to pick manufacturers or vendors whom we truly believe will be there from a technology standpoint but also from a business standpoint. Just a general hopefulness standpoint, that if we have an issue that's big or small, we know there's people at Kaminario who we can call, who care, and who will help. That means a lot to us.

it_user683460
IT Manager,DBA at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
​The primary benefit is they actually guarantee performance and capacity.

• "The increased performance is many times above our previous array performance in all metrics. Integration with vSphere features is also a definite plus."

How has it helped my organization?

Image backups of our production servers that used to take hours now take minutes. This has greatly increased performance of our database and business systems, and eliminated periods of sluggish performance.

What is most valuable?

The primary benefit is they actually guarantee performance and capacity. I don’t know of any other firm that backs this up with a commitment to add hardware until the performance guarantee is satisfied.

What needs improvement?

They are continuing to improve the product and support new features in virtualization, including Vmware.

Not at all. It has run without incident since installation.

No. We remain in a position to be able to scale up & out as much as we will need in the conceivable future for our company.

The technical support from Kaminario during two recoveries from power outages has also been outstanding. In both cases they had checked in and made sure the hardware was in good working order before I had time to arrive on scene.

Yes, our legacy storage array was a traditional (hard drive) array that needed to be replaced due to age and lack of technological advancement by the vendor over the years.

Setup was very straightforward, well planned in advance by the installation team, and executed without incident & on time at the agreed installation date.

As with any hardware purchase, be clear with the vendors on what your expectations are and get their commitments in writing. There were other vendors that were not as willing to guarantee their product as Kaminario.

EMC, Compellent

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to make a real cost comparison based on performance and ability; don’t just buy from someone because they’re the biggest company.

it_user509220
    IT Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    We're using it for our continuous-build system. With a lot of the same systems with the same information, data de-dupe is huge.

• "The speed and, for us in particular in what we're doing, the data de-duplication."

What is most valuable?

The speed is the most valuable feature; the speed and, for us in particular in what we're doing, the data de-duplication. We're using this for our continuous-build system. We just have a lot of the same systems that have the same information on them; while they get built, de-dup's huge.

We trialed POCs starting in November of last year (2015). We purchased in January of this year. We've been going now for nine months in production, and three months prior to that as a trial of the hardware.

It has been absolutely and consistently stable. I don't believe we've had any down time since installing it.

It will meet our needs going forward. We haven't scaled past a single unit yet, but based off of everything I hear, I can get another one and just plug it in the back and it scales as much as we want to do.

Technical support is absolutely great. We ran into an issue due to some improper network configuration on our side when we PoC'd it. We actually had an engineer come on line, write up a little bit of firmware to fix it in Kaminario, and push it out to our box, which allowed us to use our badly configured network at the time. It's been great.

The setup was extremely straightforward. A tech came out and racked the box, but we could have handled racking it as well. The tech came out, racked the box, plugged it in, and we were up and running in about 15 minutes.

We absolutely were considering other solutions at the time. We trialed a couple different options from EMC and NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

If you’re looking for an all-flash-based solution, I would absolutely recommend a Kaminario K2 system.

it_user597600
      Vice President / Chief Information Officer at a healthcare company
      The logic/software management is one of the most valuable features.

• "Logic/software management"
      • "The interface look and feel could be improved."

How has it helped my organization?

• Ability to deploy large numbers of virtual desktops
      • Enables quick updates to virtual desktops

We thought we could only afford a hybrid solutions.

Kaminario allowed us a solid state solution with marginal incremental cost.

More important was the software/logic of how Kaminario de-dups and manages the data sets.

What is most valuable?

• Solid-state storage drives
      • Price per gigabyte
      • Logic/software management

What needs improvement?

The interface look and feel could be improved.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I rate technical support 3/5. There have been some inconsistencies.

We used both EMC Clarion and Dell Compellent. We wanted a solid-state solution, better software management capabilities, and to future-proof costs.

Initial setup was easy. The technical installation team for Kaminario was excellent.

The licensing is all-inclusive.

We evaluated 3PAR, Nimble, Cisco, Dell Compellent, Pure Storage and EMC.

What other advice do I have?

Spend time with the engineering staff to understand current and future offerings. I was impressed.

MB
      IT and Facilities Lead at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      Built-in snapshot support gives us SAN-side functionality most other platforms license separately.

• "Built-in snapshot support gives us SAN-side functionality most other platforms would have had us license separately."
      • "The front panel of the drive shelf doesn't always seat firmly."

How has it helped my organization?

We no longer have to consider the performance penalties associated with different application profiles in our cloud stack. Having a high-performance SAN core gives us instant resources, with capacity on demand.

What is most valuable?

Standard-based monitoring means we aren't locked in to using platform-specific or proprietary tooling to track and monitor our device performance.

Unexpectedly high compression ratios give us more capacity for our investment; again without a nickel-and-dime licensing model.

Rocketing IOPS results in performance we don't have to fixate on. We can instead focus efforts on other layers in the stack, knowing that our SAN layer is lightning fast, with capacity to spare.

What needs improvement?

The front panel of the drive shelf doesn't always seat firmly. Aside from that, we haven't found any shortcomings in their platform to date.

The solution has behaved seamlessly since installation.

We haven’t had scalability issues.

We have not had cause to engage with their technical support.

I didn't use a different solution in this installation, but did previous deployments with NetApp, EMC, EquaLogic and the Dell MD family. Kaminario presents a more feature-rich experience, with a highly compelling performance factor.

Setup was extremely straightforward. As opposed to other management interfaces, the Kaminario tooling is platform-agnostic, and provides a high degree of flexibility, without being complicated.

Consider the total investment in each suite being considered. The "extra" costs associated with features and options that are available off the shelf with Kaminario, make their value proposition extremely competitive.

In this case, we did not actively evaluate anything else. We had a very limited window in which to execute our implementation and the Kaminario team made that happen.

What other advice do I have?

Make use of the team Kaminario provides in the sales and post-sales processes. They're an invaluable resource in streamlining a deployment.

it_user592860
      System Administrator at a consumer goods company
      ​Data reduction and snapshot abilities mean a smaller footprint in the datacenter.

• "Data reduction and snapshot abilities: Smaller footprint in the datacenter (lower cost for power, cooling, etc.)."
      • "A single pane of glass to monitor/manage multiple arrays would be helpful."

How has it helped my organization?

Using snapshots allows us to automate production database refreshes to development environments in minutes, rather than in hours.

What is most valuable?

• Data reduction and snapshot abilities: Smaller footprint in the datacenter (lower cost for power, cooling, etc.).

What needs improvement?

A single pane of glass to monitor/manage multiple arrays would be helpful.

Having a single management console to monitor / manage multiple K2 arrays would make Kaminario even more efficient.  We have four arrays and each have to be monitored and managed individually.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Past solutions consisted of spinning disks without deduplication and compression. Database refreshes took much longer and required multiple clones.

Setting up the array was simple. The GUI is very intuitive and easy to maneuver.

Licensing is very straightforward. The cost was considerably lower than other products we looked at.

We evaluated Pure Storage and Dell EMC XtremIO.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product that is continually improving.

it_user590436
      Security Big Data Analysis Team at a government with 1-10 employees
      Provides deduplication, compression, snapshots, and asynchronous replication without separate licensing.

How has it helped my organization?

The functionality is very good.

What is most valuable?

It provides a full feature set without separate licensing (deduplication, compression, snapshot, asynchronous replication, stable performance, etc.).

What needs improvement?

I would like them to come down in price. It is as expensive as EMC, Hitachi, and other major vendors. I would like them to improve the look of the product’s external casing and shelves.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would rate technical support with an 8 out of 10.

The software part of…

How has it helped my organization?

The functionality is very good.

What needs improvement?

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would rate technical support with an 8 out of 10.

The software part of the installation was easy. The hardware piece was more complex due to a lot of cables.

We evaluated Violin Memory, Hitachi, Pure Storage, EMC, and XtremIO.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is very easy to use and helped me technically.

it_user342342
      Director Of Information Technology at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      All features are provided in the licensing. Provisioning large numbers of virtual desktops has sped up, helping push out necessary updates.

• "The most valuable aspect is the use of solid-state storage drives instead of spinning drives."
      • "The management graphical interface needs more improvement."

How has it helped my organization?

Provisioning large numbers of virtual desktops has sped up considerably. This helps to push out necessary updates on our virtual desktops. Turning on desktop refresh after logoff becomes more viable on a larger scale.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect is the use of solid-state storage drives instead of spinning drives. As solid-state drives' price per gigabyte narrows with spinning drives, it seems to make sense to move to the solid-state technology.

What needs improvement?

The management graphical interface needs more improvement.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I would rate technical support as 3/5.

We previously were using EMC CLARiiON and Dell Compellent. We switched to take advantage of all solid-state technology.

Initial setup was very straightforward. Kaminario sent a technician to set up the array. It took the technician about 2-3 hours.

All features are provided in the licensing. The cost of Kaminario was less than the cost of a hybrid array.

We evaluated 3PAR, Compellent, Nimble, Pure Storage and Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

Compare the hardware technology of competing solutions and features against the all flash Kaminario with the cost.

it_user509226
      Network Administrator at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
      It gives us the latency performance that we wanted.

• "Latency is definitely the big key for us."
      • "Some of the nice to haves for us, in terms of today, would be VVols but again, it’s not a critical feature."

What is most valuable?

Latency is definitely the big key for us. Obviously all flash with the IOPS was also important, but I think latency was the bigger key to give us the performance that we wanted.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what we're looking for, I don’t see anything critical at the moment. Some of the nice to haves for us, in terms of today, would be VVols but again, it’s not a critical feature. We can continue to use what we use now.

I'd give it a perfect rating if I could push it to 300,000 IOPS like they promote; we just haven't been able to push that many IOPS out of our system.

It's been absolutely stable and consistent. We have not run into any issues at all. We try to push it. We can't push it as far as we need, I guess, or our applications can't push it. We know it's capable.

Scalability was one of the key factors for us on our purchase. We haven't needed to scale yet but in the future, if we do need to, it's certainly a consideration we're going to play a part in.

The couple of technical support calls we've made, they've been proactive, very good about that; so that's been good. I have no qualms about the support either.

Part of the reason my company started using it was that we had an older SAN that was going end of life, so we had to research and buy a new SAN to replace the SAN that was going end of life. The current marketplace was kind of in between hybrids and all flash, so we decided to go all flash. Kaminario came up in regard to the research.

Initial setup was straightforward; it was easy. The installer, the technician that came in, he was very straightforward and very easy going. It was incredibly fast compared to the past installs we've done before.

What other advice do I have?

When we start working with a vendor like Kaminario, we look for longevity. We look for a company that has a good report. We look for compatibility with the software that we use. Those are big keys for us.

I think this product hits all the big features of all the SANs that are out there, all the storage vendors that are out there and more. In terms of performance, scalability, scaling out, scaling up, it's all there.

it_user509229
      Senior DevOps Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
      We were looking for a solution that offers block-level deduplication.

• "The capacity that we're saving by using Kaminario's K2 is giving us a four-to-one ratio for our deduplication."
      • "I would like to see LDAP for the management panel; I've been notified they might be currently working on it."

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest thing for us, second to the performance, is that we were looking for a solution that offers block-level deduplication. Right now, the capacity that we're saving by using Kaminario's K2 is giving us a four-to-one ratio for our deduplication. We're using it specifically and exclusively for block level; we probably have about 300 VMs just in our studio alone and of that, I believe that we probably have half of that or more running on the K2. It's saving us a lot of storage.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see LDAP for the management panel; I've been notified they might be currently working on it. That is probably the biggest feature that we wanted; otherwise, everything has been just a champion with it, we've been really happy with it.

It’s been extremely stable. The last time we brought Kaminario down was to do a firmware upgrade, so our uptime before that was months, and months, and months.

I believe it will scale to meet your company's needs going forward. I like the way that they have designed it to scale up and out. We're looking at eventually adding some more capacity to it, because I believe that we're using probably about 85% at the moment.

Support's amazing. When it came time for the flash upgrade, our rep contacted us, and put us in touch with their engineering team. I had a guy on the phone with a remote session, running through the firmware upgrade; everything went flawlessly. And it was a live upgrade too, we didn't even have to bring the array down.

The main reason we started using it was our continuous integration environment. We had a product before that was 15,000 RPM SAS spinning discs; build times were at about two hours. Our holdup was disk I/O, so we did a PoC with Kaminario and we reduced build times down to fifteen minutes for a full build from two hours. That was the best part about it.

What other advice do I have?

When I decide to work with a vendor like Kaminario, I look for, honestly, cost effectiveness. I like the most bang for our buck. I definitely look at performance metrics. I'm not so much interested in whether they're a big power player like EMC or Dell or anything like that. To me, the truth is in the numbers.

As far as advice, I'd recommend, if they're looking for a flash-based solution for high throughput, low latency, and high IOPS, check out Kaminario's K2, because so far it's worked for us; we've provided a testimony for them. Honestly, for us to stretch ourselves out there and do that, it's been amazing for us.

it_user509223
      System Engineer - R&D at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      MSP
      The ratio between the physical storage and the storage we use is high.

Valuable Features

It has a very good duplication rate; very, very good. The ratio between the physical storage and the storage we use is very high. Good performance.

Room for Improvement

I think it should have better performance with small files. With big data, its performance is top notch, but it is difficult to load small files.

We had problems before. It crashed a couple of times, but we had good support from Kaminario. They gave us another storage app and we could replicate between the two, so if the crashes continued, we had another app. They fixed the crashing problem and since then, it's been okay.

I think it is scalable. You can buy another shelf any time you need one.

Technical support is…

Room for Improvement

I think it is scalable. You can buy another shelf any time you need one.

Technical support is very good. We had quick response for anything we needed.

Initial setup is straight forward; very simple, web administration.

Other Advice

It's a good solution. I think it’s a bit expensive. As a technical guy, I don't look at that side very much. It's a good solution overall.

it_user509214
      IT Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      It gave us a better dedupe rate on our mixed workload, including SQL backend infrastructure.

• "The most valuable feature is definitely the always-on data deduplication."
      • "I'm hoping to see Active Directory integration. Right now, you still have to use a local admin account to log in and manage everything."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is definitely the always-on data deduplication.

What needs improvement?

On the road map, I'm hoping to see Active Directory integration. Right now, you still have to use a local admin account to log in and manage everything. That's really the only downfall as of the moment. I'd like to be able to have all of my Active Directory users support this infrastructure and be able to audit who logged in and did what. Right now, it's limited to local account access, so AD integration has to happen.

It is consistently stable; haven't had a single issue with it. We performed a live firmware upgrade during production, 9 AM Monday morning, failed everything over from one control to the next. Nobody even noticed.

It is going to meet our scalability needs. With the K-block architecture, we have the ability to expand two more full shelves if we need to. We got the dual controllers; a single shelf now with 20 TB raw in each location, and we're getting about 65 TB out of the array. It's amazing.

We needed to get off our old VNX, so we did a test pilot against Kaminario, Pure Storage, and Nimble Storage. We got a device and racked them all together in the data center and for 90 days, we shifted application workloads from each array and did performance benchmark testing. Kaminario won. Putting those spreadsheets side by side, Kaminario came on top. Nimble was just gone; they just couldn't perform compared to Pure and Kaminario.

For the second half of the POC, it was down to Kaminario and Pure. It was head to head. It really was, but Kaminario gave us a better dedupe rate on our mixed workload, including SQL back end infrastructure, so we went ahead and went with Kaminario.

I have to add also that Kaminario's engineering team is customer oriented all the way. Pure Storage had more of an attitude that they’re the best, and they brought that attitude with them and treated us more like a customer instead of a partner. That's where Kaminario really shines.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend giving it a shot. Kaminario will let you try it for free. They'll let you run your production workload on it. They pretty much hold your hand the whole way. There's nothing really bad that could happen that I could see. The dashboard's too easy. The engineering team is too easy.

it_user509217
      IT Manager Of Infrastructure Services at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Speed has been the most valuable feature. We like how it is easy to spin up a LUN and get going.

• "Ease of use: My installers - my administrators over the system - they love how easy and fast it is to install and spin up a LUN and get going."
      • "I would like to see them work with Cisco, so it comes off the FIs, instead of having to go through my 10-gig network."

Valuable Features

For us, the valuable feature has really been the speed. We moved from a Fusion IO card right on the PCI bus. We moved a 2 TB one over, and we didn't lose any speed, no degradation; everything just ran great. That's been one of our biggest features.

Room for Improvement

As of right now, I haven't done a whole lot of work on it. I would like to see them work with Cisco, so it comes off the FIs, instead of having to go through my 10-gig network. One extra hop is not a big deal, but it’d be a little bit faster if we can get it right to the back point of my FIs. I think that's the biggest feature I would like to see come down the line.

It has been one of the most stable solutions so far that I've seen. Obviously, we're 10 months into it. We have not had any problems with it.

When we've had minor issues, we've had calls with support and they were able to resolve them fast, easy. Everybody was straightforward. It's been a very transparent company with us, so we're very happy in that aspect.

Based on everything I have read and seen, it's a very scalable solution; it can scale out, scale up. That's one of the reasons we chose to go with it, because we felt like in the future we could move forward with it.

Support has been great. While I have never had to personally call, I've had my administrators call. Every time we called and had an issue, they are on it. They are fast. They are timely. They are clear and precise on their answers, and generally willing to help out. Sometimes when you call tech support, or a support company, you just don't get that feeling they want to be there. On the other hand, these guys are excited about the technology and want to help out.

Initial setup was really straight forward. It was very easy. They did send out two people including my sales engineer at the time to install it, but the install was great. They were very thorough. They walked my engineer through every last little step, what needed done. Ever since then, we've managed it ourselves.

Other Advice

Go with it. I tell people all the time they need to take a serious look at it. If they're looking for speed, reliability, and the deduplication that they'll be getting out of it, this is definitely a great product to look at.

My rating mainly reflects that I'm not using its full potential. I want to see what it can do. But it's up there. It's a really good product.

it_user448698
      Senior Systems Engineer in the Storage & Systems Practice at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Straightforward GUI, no issues with performance and it is easy to use.

• "The GUI is very straightforward and easy to use."
      • "The system currently has a 15TB LUN size limit and that snapshots need to be scheduled through script API instead of the GUI."

How has it helped my organization?

The K2 has basically removed storage as a bottleneck in our datacenter. Everything comes off the K2 at sub-millisecond speed.

What is most valuable?

Speed and ease of use. The system is very quick to get installed and up and running. The GUI is very straightforward and easy to use. Performance is exceptional.

What needs improvement?

There are a few areas where the system could be improved. Examples would be that the system currently has a 15TB LUN size limit and that snapshots need to be scheduled through script API instead of the GUI. These are items that will be addressed in future firmware releases.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

We haven't needed to scale it yet.

Have not had any components fail yet. Customer service emails me when they have new firmware and they upgrade it for me.

We have used several different storage solutions. We like the K2 because of its speed and simplicity.

Deployment time from the box to LUNs presented to VMware was four hours.

We are a Kaminario VAR but Kaminario still did the implementation.

Kaminario is very competitive on price. They also have a pay per TB model.

What other advice do I have?

As with any all flash array, deduplication and compression rates are important factors in calculating usable capacity. A dedupe assessment will help a lot.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller for Kaminario as well as several other storage vendors.
      Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Knowing it can scale up and out, that would mean that it could hold around 154 TB of Flash.
      Originally posted at https://www.vdicloud.nl/2015/09/09/kaminario-7-months-after-storage-field-day-7/  All Flash Arrays (AFA) are hot for a couple of years now, and for a good reason! During Storage Field Day 1 we had 3 AFA vendors presenting with Kaminario, NimbusData and PureStorage. Although they have a different go-to-market strategies, as well as a different technology strategies, all three are still standing (allthough 1 of them seems to be struggling…) At Storage Field Day 7 we had the privilege to get another Kaminario presentation and in this post I would like to take some time to see what Kaminario offers, and what new features they presented the last couple of months. The K2 All-Flash Array There are couple of features provided by Kaminario that I find…

The K2 All-Flash Array

There are couple of features provided by Kaminario that I find interesting (based on what was included 6 months ago):

• Choice of FC or ISCSI
      • VMware integration (VAAI, vvols (not yet))
      • Non-disruptive upgrades
      • Great GUI
      • Inline deduplication and compression
      • Scale Up and Out
      • K-Raid protection
      • Industry standard SSD warranty (7 years now)

But there are/were still a couple of things missing, but it might be even better and go back a couple of years and see what the Kaminario solution looked like back then. A great post to look at the Kaminario solution back 2012 is the one of Hans De Leenheer:

Kaminario – a Solid State startup worth following

As you can see, there is so much innovation done by Kaminario, and in the last 6 months a lot more has been done.

What’s new in Kaminario K2 v5.5?

In the last couple of weeks Kaminario released the 5.5 version of their K2 product. In this release a couple of new (awesome) features were introduced that we’ll investigate a little deeper:

• Use of 3D TLC NAND
      • Replication (asynchronous)
      • Perpetual Array (Mix and match SSD/Controller)

Let’s start with the use of 3D TLC NAND. In earlier versions of their products Kaminario always used MLC NAND and a customer could choose between 400 and 800 GB MLC SSD’s. Knowing Kaminario can scale up and out that would mean that it could hold around 154 TB of Flash (with dedupe and compression this would go up to around 720+ TB according to kaminario documents). With the new 3D flash technology the size of the drives changed to 480, 960 GB MLC and a 1,92 TB TLC SSD which doubles the capacity:

The next new feature is Replication, although the documentation found on the Kaminario site on replication goes back to 2014, but it still mentioned in the what’s new in v5.5 documents. Something that is new with replication is the fact that Kaminario now integrates with VMware SRM to meet customer needs. This is great news for customers already using SRM or thinking about using. The way Kaminario does replication is based on their snapshot (application consistent).

Last but not least is Perpetual Array, which gives a customer the possibilty to mix and match SSD’s as well as Controller’s. This feature gives the customer the freedom to start building their storage system and continue growing even if Kaminario will change controller hardware or SSD technology.

Final thoughts

Looking at what changed at Kaminario the last couple of months (and the last couple of years, for that matter) I’m certain we’ll see a lot of great innovation from Kaminario in their upcoming releases. 3D NAND will get Kaminario to much bigger scale (ever heard of Samsung showing a 16 TB 3D TLC SSD), and with their Scale Up and Scale out technology Kaminario has the right solution for each and every business. What I think would be a great idea for Kaminario is more visibilty outside the US, when my customers start talking about AFA I notice they almost never talk about Kaminario, mainly because they jut don’t know about them, and there are no local sales team to tell them about the Kaminario offering. That’s just to bad, as I still think Kaminario is a very cool AFA vendor. It was also great to see them as a sponsor at TechUnplugged Amsterdam, which is a start :D.

Disclaimer: I was invited to this meeting by TechFieldDay to attend SFD7 and they paid for travel and accommodation, I have not been compensated for my time and am not obliged to blog. Furthermore, the content is not reviewed, approved or edited by any other person than the me.

VR
      Storage Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      ​Improved performance by more than 50x on our application but replication and de-duplication could be better.

What is most valuable?

Performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved performance by more than 50x on our application.

What needs improvement?

Replication and de-duplication could be better.

1.5 yrs.

No issues with deployment.

One time, there was a node failure and host lost connectivity.

Yes, need to halt the system in order to scale it out (but I guess in the later version, they can scale on the fly - not sure).

Customer Service: Good Customer Service. Technical Support: Good Technical Support. …

What is most valuable?

Performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved performance by more than 50x on our application.

What needs improvement?

Replication and de-duplication could be better.

1.5 yrs.

No issues with deployment.

One time, there was a node failure and host lost connectivity.

Good Customer Service.

Good Technical Support.

No, no other flash solution, we moved from spinning disks to flash.

It was pretty much straightforward, vendor came in and installed the array.

We implemented thru a vendor team. The vendor team was knowledgeable.

Positive ROI.

Yes, we did POC with bunch of other Flash vendors and choose K2 over them.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a perf, K2 is the one. But it still lags behind the replication and de-duplication of other vendors.