Katalon Studio Overview

Katalon Studio is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Test Automation Tools. It is most often compared to SmartBear TestComplete: Katalon Studio vs SmartBear TestComplete

What is Katalon Studio?

Katalon Studio is a simple and powerful automation solution built by KMS Technology for testers everywhere. The tool provides features comparable to popular commercial solutions while eliminating the hassle of building an automation framework from open sources. Best of all, we are committed to keeping Katalon Studio free.

Katalon Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Katalon Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Katalon Studio Customers
  • Sony
Katalon Studio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Katalon Studio pricing:
  • "We were using the free version of this tool."
  • "This product is freeware, so there is no charge for using it."
  • "The price is not high it's good."
  • "There is a free version of the tool to use and support is available through the community forums, but there is a licensed version as well."
  • "We are using the free version of Katalon Studio at this point."
  • "The tool is free to use."

Katalon Studio Reviews

reviewer977307
Lecturer and Researcher at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 22, 2020
Powerful yet easy-to-use and focuses on the end-user as well as interface testing

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product as a tool to teach students about testing. We are not teaching them how to use this specific tool. We are helping the students to understand how to find the right tools to do the testing on what they develop.

• "This is a product that is well ahead of its immediate competition in features and functionality."
  • "They need to work on documentation to make it more centralized and easier to find what you are looking for."

What other advice do I have?

In looking at Katalon Studio and comparing it with Selenium, I think Katalon is better. The capture and replay functionality for sure sets Katalon ahead. As far as the API testing, we have not tried to explore that part. I have only heard that Katalon is very powerful in that capacity. Katalon is easier to work with and to integrate. Those are the main strengths and the differences we have found between the products. I would rate Katalon Studio as an eight-of-ten overall on a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. It should be considered that we are not very…
Khurram Jamil Khan
Head of SQA, Project Manager at Vroozi
Dec 9, 2020
Great record and playback functionality but isn't user-friendly and needs better technical support

What is our primary use case?

We have an application that's for secure point management. There are different values on it, starting from PR creation to PO, etc. We log into the application and then create a PR and then a PO, and from there we can run functional test cases. We use it to identify important areas for regression testing.

• "The best thing about the solution is that there is a record and playback functionality."
  • "The free version of the solution is not user friendly at all."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the solution as a customer and don't have any sort of relationship or contract with Katalon. The company gave us a demo to try that includes approximately seven or eight sessions of training to all 15 resources. However, Katalon also has lesson fees associated with the solution. That means we have to spend money, and we need to be strategic and careful now when considering which tool we need to invest in. That's why we are basically working on different tools, including UFT and TestComplete. We are working with the 4.0 and 5.0 versions, however versions 7.0 and 8.0 have also…
Learn what your peers think about Katalon Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Deepanshu Joshi
Software QA Test Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Mar 15, 2020
Good reporting as well as integration with Jenkins and Slack, but it crashes often

What is our primary use case?

We evaluated Katalon Studio along with Postman and SoapUI to be part of our testing framework. We used it mainly for microservices, API automation, and testing API endpoints. We click one button to have it run all of the tests and generate a report.

• "The most important feature is the Jenkins integration; it is pretty straight forward and allows us to run nightly builds."
  • "It would be helpful to have an automatic save feature."

What other advice do I have?

Products such as this one are a byproduct of artificial intelligence. It comes up with very nice code snippets that we can use, and it is good to see the industry moving forward in this aspect. The future is AI and Katalon is a part of that. When it comes to testing RESTful APIs, this is a good solution but in the alternative, Postman is out there. That is the one that we ultimately chose to implement. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Phil Ward
Senior Test Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 31, 2019
Provides cost-effective functional testing for web-based GUIs

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for functional testing on some backends, APIs, the ServiceNow GUI, and other web GUIs. We have it running on a few machines, in-house. Each developer downloads it to their machine, and we also have it running on a test server.

• "We can write code in Java and it is easy to link to other JARs that we find on the internet, which is very handy."
  • "The Object Spy is rather frustrating to work with, so I tend not to use it."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this project to have some familiarity with Groovy and Java. If you don't like coding then it will not be the product for you. Otherwise, in our experience, it's a good product. It is well thought through and continues to improve. This solution semi-automatically updates to the latest version, so it is always up to date. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Faranak Adinehzadeh
Software Test Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 25, 2020
User-friendly with good object recognition, and priced well

• "One of the features that I like is Object Recognition. It worked very well, and it allowed me to create a dynamic expert based on my requirements."
  • "Now we are having difficulties in using it and had to limit our automation experts to the features that Katalon allows us to use for free. It was free access and they claimed that it would be free for all time."

What other advice do I have?

Once we developed a new solution, Katalon was no longer free, and we had to pay for all of the features. Katalon has provided me with a solution to the issues and limitations that I was experiencing. I have many limitations and issues with automating their application. I did not use the mobile features offered by Katalon Studio. I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to be involved in developing a lot. some people want to use some resources to automate the application of their data system. I think that if you have some knowledge of development and using Python in addition to Robot…
reviewer1258533
Test Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 17, 2020
Good end-to-end UA, Web,API, and mobile app testing capability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for user acceptance testing, web testing, regression testing, and mobile app testing.

• "The basic framework and project organization is very good."
  • "We have had some issues when it comes to stability, which is something that needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would recommend it because they are promoting that they will update it for free, for life. We have had issues with stability but it might be better with the licensed version. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
reviewer1389921
Testing Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 30, 2020
Flexible and cost-effective, but should include support for more frameworks

What is our primary use case?

This is a product that I have been using personally, rather than professionally. Katalon Studio is basically used for automation. One of the use cases is to automate products that my company is offering to our clients. Another use case is internal automation used to make our own development more efficient.

• "The most valuable feature is that the browser and the API testing is available in a single tool, and I don't have to look at other options."
  • "There is not much support offered for the free version, which is something that could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

With respect to the free version, it is a product that I would recommend. However, at the enterprise level, I would have to evaluate the support and see what they have to offer with the licensed version. Overall, this is a good tool but at this time, the support is something that I would like to see improved. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Oussama Ben Taher
Étudiant at Ensibs
Aug 28, 2019
A free tool with good functionality and reporting features

• "The functionality of the data is very good. You can upload and disperse data using the solution."
  • "Katalon doesn't support testing of hybrid applications. It's a limitation."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the cloud deployment model. I would recommend the tool. For a free solution, it's very good. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
See 3 more Katalon Studio Reviews