Kemp LoadMaster OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kemp LoadMaster is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Application Delivery Controllers. It is most often compared to HAProxy: Kemp LoadMaster vs HAProxy

What is Kemp LoadMaster?

Kemp LoadMaster provides High Availability, Scalability and Security for Application Delivery. Optimized load balancers for Hybrid Cloud and Public Cloud deployments. Available for Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS.

Kemp LoadMaster is also known as LoadMaster Load Balancer.

Kemp LoadMaster Buyer's Guide

Download the Kemp LoadMaster Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Kemp LoadMaster Customers

Kent County Council, KEMP, SMA Solar Technology AG, RTĀ€ Player , Victrix (Quebec, Canada), Texas A&M, Macmillan Cancer Support, Cisco, Austin Bank

Kemp LoadMaster Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Kemp LoadMaster pricing:
  • "They have multiple tiers of licensing and you can upgrade it easily."
  • "The license varies according to the number of megabits."
  • "It is well-priced and licensing is very flexible."
  • "Pricing for the perpetual licensing was fair to us for the features and ease of use we received."

reviewer1365102
IT Manager at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Intuitive interface and can be used practically with any application in the backend

What is our primary use case?

I used it as a front end to an RDS Farm. Its load-balancing port 80 and port 443 to multiple RDS Gateways. It's deployed as a virtual appliance on an on-prem virtual machine hosted on the Hyper-V server. Kemp LoadMaster is used by more than 1,000 internal users on a daily bases to access the application system at the back end. It's not exposed to the internet, it's used only from internal users inside the corporate LAN. We have daily VM backups setup as well as application backups from inside KEMP.

• "I like that this is a Network Load Balancer that can be used practically with any application in the backend. They have how-to guides on how to set up Kemp NLB with Exchange, but you can use it as well for Sharepoint, RDS, or any other back end server."
  • "The product is really good as-is out of the box. If there is one thing I would change is to have the license file not be coupled with the MAC address of the device. This is actually not really useful in a virtual environment where if you have a single VM with KEMP LoadMaster and you have not set up static MAC Address, if you, for example, recreate the VM and just load the disk file on a new VM it will get new MAC address and the NLB will not work as it will not see a proper license."

What other advice do I have?

Its a nice and easy NLB to set up and operate on a day to day basis. I highly recommend it.
reviewer1442190
Information Technology Manager at Larson Engineering, Inc.
Straightforward configuration, easy to manage, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Previously, we were using the Microsoft TMG server as a proxy to protect our Exchange server. We recently decided to upgrade the Exchange server, but the MS TMG server support had expired. I was looking for a solution that could provide a similar function. While I was talking to a consultant, they recommended the Kemp load balancer. On top of the proxy server, I also configured Exchange with DAG, so we needed load balancing as well. After reviewing the product, we installed it and it's doing a great job.

• "The configuration is really easy and the web portal is self-explanatory."
  • "The only thing that I miss is that the TMG server was giving me live information about who is connected and what is the request about."

What other advice do I have?

I love this product ad definitely recommend it to others. I know that it can do much more than I use it for. So far, I have not looked into other features but I am planning on expanding the usage in near future. I am getting some updates from them about added features to the product. I will be working on a few more projects and planning on using it for these.
Learn what your peers think about Kemp LoadMaster. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,285 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1444170
Systems Engineer at Rochester Regional Health
Reliable with good support, and offers options to block specific ciphers and protocols

What is our primary use case?

We use LoadMaster for load balancing our Exchange, Skype for Business, LDAP, Citrix, and SharePoint solutions. We have virtual services setup for traffic originating from inside and outside our network and can manage them separately. These sites each have certificates and we can update and manage them in one place, which is really helpful with our wildcard certificate that applies to multiple services. We also use the load balancers to manage some security protocols we want to allow or deny per application.

• "One of the most valuable features I like is the ability to block specific cipher suites like RC4, and older protocols like SSL 3.0."
  • "The only thing I have struggled with is setting up automatic backups."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that you use the virtual appliances if you can. We did have a hardware failure twice on our original physical appliances and it is a bit of a vulnerability to go down to one LoadMaster while the other one is in the shop. I can't think of any services I would like to add, as I haven't come across a situation where I wanted it to do something that it couldn't do. It's been a great reliable product for us, and I would recommend it to anyone!
MohamadBadran
Senior Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Robust, scalable, cost-effective, and has many templates for load balancing traffic of different types

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for load balancing traffic for solutions such as Exchange and Skype, as well as for web servers using HTTP and SMTP. Another team is in charge of operating this solution.

• "We really like the performance of this solution."
  • "The GUI is rather technical and complex, so it could be improved by making it simpler and more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

This product does what is advertised. In terms of the value you get for the amount of money you pay, this is the number one solution. For anybody who is implementing this solution, there is nothing to worry about. This product is mature, the documentation is there, and the support is very good. My recommendation is to get the virtual appliance instead of the hardware because it is easy, and that's what we have experience with. You get the same features and it is easy to scale and add more resources. I would also suggest taking a backup of the configuration just in case they misconfigureā€¦
reviewer1446381
Network Administrator 2 at Public School and Education Employee Retirement System
Allows for the growth of other virtual services with no issues at all

What is our primary use case?

We use it to load balance our ADFS serves. We also have it set up at our DR location when we need to switch over to DR. We have it set up and just flip the server over and since we have it set up at DR, once the IPs are swapped to the new DR IP range it picks up and starts working in our DR location. We also use it for our main application. We have multiple app servers that people log on to which allows us to keep the logins spread out among the servers. And if we need to take one down we can force the user to one server.

• "The feature that allows us to easily disconnect a server when we need and bring back online is the most valuable. It's a click of a button. This allows us to keep all systems up. We can then run updates, perform reboots whatever we need to one of the servers without taking production down."
  • "If I had to change something it would maybe be to have a little better reporting graphics that show more details in the reporting. It seems to be a little small in the graphic, and I'm not sure if possible but maybe a GUI page that one can use to monitor if any server goes down."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Kemp to all, product works great and makes jobs easier.
reviewer1446387
System Administrator at Routeware, Inc.
Enabled us to become more reliable and have less downtime

What is our primary use case?

We use Kemp to balance the load of connections to various places. We have IIS, RDP, API, gateway servers, and objects that get over 5000 connections that are balanced with Kemp. We have had very good success at getting this working properly and doing exactly what we need. We need to balance resources and utilize the Kemp Loadmaster to organize the servers and resources to keep them operating at an optimal level. RDP and Gateway servers are 99.99% uptime so having Kemp in the middle makes that an easy transition if there is an outage or server error.

• "Persistence is very valuable. This holds the connection information of the source and that connection is important to RDP and our APO calls. The connection has to be persisted to the original source to operate properly. We also use the subsections for sub-services to create services inside our services for our API resources, this is most awesome. We would not be able to do this without Kemp and offer this type of sub-service to route based on an API instance. It routes the traffic properly based on the sub-service type."
  • "I would like to see more automation and control of overactive and inactive resources. If I could schedule these around our updates then it would be all automated. I would like to set up an automated script to coincide with the scripts I use to update resources and servers."

What other advice do I have?

Go with Kemp, you will thank me later.
FV
Manager of Technology Architecture and Information Security at J.F. Shea Co., Inc.
Easy to deploy, configure, and manage, with responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use the Kemp Loadmaster to load-balance enterprise-wide applications that require high-availability. We also wanted to make sure the performance and throughput meet the needs of the usage of our applications. These applications include Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS), Microsoft SharePoint (2010, 2013), file sharing servers, multiple public-facing websites, multiple internal websites, on-premise IT Service Management applications, and others. The LoadMaster handles both production and development environments for these applications.

• "When the templates are used, there is not much left to configure and they just work!"
  • "It would be nice if the historical metrics were easily exportable from the interface."

What other advice do I have?

The LoadMaster is very easy to set up, configure, and manage. We have been using it for almost 10 years and are still very happy with this solution.
reviewer1441854
Senior Systems Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good high availability options, stability, licensing, and technical support

What is our primary use case?

We currently utilize the Kemp LoadMaster VLM-500 series virtual appliances in our VMware environment. Initially, we were running with only a single appliance, but recently added a second to allow for High Availability pairing between them. Our primary use for the LoadMaster appliances is to provide load balancing between our two Microsoft Exchange servers in our Office 365 hybrid environment. This has allowed us to obtain redundancy between them, rather than having a single point of failure for our email environment.

• "The most valuable feature so far has been the high-availability options that allowed us to add an additional Kemp LoadMaster VLM virtual appliance into our VMware vSphere environment, to provide failover for our existing LoadMaster."
  • "So far, the only hitch we have run into is that would have been nice to have an easier method to add allow/whitelist entries into the Access Control lists for virtual services."

What other advice do I have?

The VLM appliances boot insanely quickly, which is really impressive. During power cycles, we only drop between two and three pings to the devices.
See 24 more Kemp LoadMaster Reviews
Download our free Kemp LoadMaster Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.