Kemp LoadMaster Overview

Kemp LoadMaster is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Application Delivery Controllers. It is most often compared to F5 BIG-IP: Kemp LoadMaster vs F5 BIG-IP

What is Kemp LoadMaster?

Kemp LoadMaster provides High Availability, Scalability and Security for Application Delivery. Optimized load balancers for Hybrid Cloud and Public Cloud deployments. Available for Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS.

Kemp LoadMaster is also known as LoadMaster Load Balancer.

Kemp LoadMaster Buyer's Guide

Download the Kemp LoadMaster Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Kemp LoadMaster Customers

Kent County Council, KEMP, SMA Solar Technology AG, RT€ Player , Victrix (Quebec, Canada), Texas A&M, Macmillan Cancer Support, Cisco, Austin Bank

Kemp LoadMaster Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Infrastructure Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides load-balancing and adds reverse proxy for further security

What is our primary use case?

I have worked with Kemp products for at least 10 years, as a consultant. In most cases, they are used for load balancing Exchange environments, but also as reverse proxies for other workloads such as Skype for Business, ADFS, etc. The customer environments vary greatly. In most scenarios, it’s up to 2,000 users but in some cases more than 30,000. My last case involving Kemp was an Exchange 2016 site-resilient solution with 12 servers for 35,000 mailboxes.

• "With Kemp 360 Central, our customers get a nice overview of their Kemp products and an easy way to upgrade firmware on all devices from a single interface."
  • "The auth website of ESP is really lacking. It’s not responsive (mobile friendly) and the procedure of changing the website is difficult. We tend to avoid using pre-auth for that reason."
  • "Several elements of the GUI need work. For example, if you have many content switches, it’s difficult to find the ones you need. And where is the search feature?"
  • "If you want logging for SMTP traffic, you have to enable ESP, which requires you to define allowed IP addresses. That’s irritating, to say the least."
  • "It lacks an officially supported, well-written SCOM Management Pack."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at eight out of 10. There are many features that are missing or poorly implemented and things that you simply cannot do. The product is very much “as is”, and people need to be aware of that. If you don’t want these limitations, there are other products on the market, but they are typically a bit more expensive. Kemp products are very good load-balancers but are lacking in features compared to its competitors.
System and Server Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees

What is our primary use case?

We are using Kemp Virtual LoadMaster for Microsoft Exchange load balancing, Skype for Business reverse proxy, and Oracle Forms load balancing.

• "Exchange load balancing and reverse proxy for Skype for Business are key features."
    Learn what your peers think about Kemp LoadMaster. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
    501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Edge Security Pack differentiates between critical infrastructure and public internet

How has it helped my organization?

Having LDAP authentication from the LoadMaster to the AD.

What is most valuable?

Edge Security Pack, because of the way it differentiates between critical infrastructure and the public internet. That, I think, is essential.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the UI environment. Currently, it's hard to navigate and use product.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate tech support at nine out of 10.

This is the first such…
    Chief Consuntant/KEMP VIP at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
    Technical support is very good. They are quick to answer questions and provide online help.

• "​Simple to install with good documentation."
    • "Some documentation is out of date versus the new version, and things have been moved​."

What other advice do I have?

Look into what you need. Do you want to use virtual (VLM running on Hyper-V or VMware) or physical (LM)?
    User
    Simplicity to the setup and configuration

What is our primary use case?

Load balancing to server farms upon response time performances. Usage of Web Application Firewall module.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a simplicity to the setup and configuration. It helps with efficiency and reactivity, in case of assistance needs.

What is most valuable?

The trio: Simplicity (no needs for many days of training) and a very attractive ratio of price/performance.

What needs improvement?

SNMP and/or RESTCONF management, in order to collect many counters, for plotting in a central application need to be improved.

Three to five years.
    CEO | Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Saved a third of the costs without sacrificing needed features

What is our primary use case?

High-availability, reverse proxy and web application firewall (WAF) for IoT devices and back-end web services. We have not fully enabled the web application firewall functionality as of yet, but plan to do so in the coming weeks.

• "We needed a Microsoft Threat Management Gateway server replacement solution for a customer and were impressed with the simplified deployment of the Kemp LoadMasters."
    • "Some of the support documentation seems to make assumptions that the person installing or configuring is experienced with the product or concepts."

What other advice do I have?

My company is an IT Services Consulting company, and when requirements warrant, I plan on recommending Kemp to our other customers. Note: We currently have no financial interest in recommending Kemp.
    Product Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Top Reviewer
    Ease of usage and configuration templates make deployment easy.

What is most valuable?

Ease of usage and configuration templates to make deployment easy.

What needs improvement?

I would say overall improvement of the solution features

We have been proposing it to end customers from last July and have been using the Virtual edition.

Customer Service: nil Technical Support: good

Previously we were proposing Citrix NetScaler or F5. We switched due to cost.

Very straightforward. …
    Messaging Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    We implemented the virtual load balancer and it was a very simple and straightforward installation​

Valuable Features

Most interesting features are like geo-redundancy, support of important Microsoft application like Exchange, Lync, Sharepoint, Skype for business etc. It also integration with Azure make unique about this tool.

Improvements to My Organization

It help to provide efficiently and robust load balance of Exchange servers when one or more server/service failure occurs.

Room for Improvement

It needs to offer support for more business applications.

We had no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

We have had no issues with scaling it for our needs.

Customer Service: They are are very knowledgeable and friendly. Technical Support:…