Kerio Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kerio Control is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to pfSense: Kerio Control vs pfSense

What is Kerio Control?

Kerio Control brings together next-generation firewall capabilities -- including a network firewall and router, intrusion detection and prevention (IPS), gateway anti-virus, VPN, and web content and application filtering. These comprehensive capabilities and unmatched deployment flexibility make Kerio Control the ideal choice for small and mid-sized businesses.

Kerio Control Buyer's Guide

Download the Kerio Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Kerio Control Customers

Triton Technical, McDonald's

Kerio Control Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Kerio Control pricing:
  • "It is priced low enough for entry-level, but it has the power to grow with a company without them having to replace it."
  • "The biggest advice that I could probably give people is when you buy the solution be prepared to either buy the unlimited license or buy more licenses than you think. Each user license gives you one employee and each a user gives you five devices. In the world nowadays where everybody has a cellphone, tablet, desktop, and laptop, that's four devices. You still get one more device per person. That covers your servers and back-ends."
  • "It is a good fit for SMBs because of its maintainability. When you want to keep your costs low, then Kerio Control is a very good solution. It's not an expensive product that is well integrated. It has a complete set of features within it that make it a very strong product."
  • "GFI has made a stupid decision regarding small office licensing. For offices where there are only three to five employees and had five years towards a five user product, they now force these customers to a 10-year user license. I really don't understand it. It's a stupid decision for the small offices who want a good solution for security because they'll probably decide to go to another product. Why should they buy something that they don't use?"
  • "I think it is a bit on the pricey side, but it's okay. I've got 50 licenses which I think is $250 a year or something like that."
  • "On the low-end device that I use, it has unlimited IP addresses. So, they have a subscription model where, on the higher models, you pay X dollars for 10 IP addresses. Then, if you want any more, you have to pay more on the model. On the low-end model, it has unlimited IP addresses, because if you have too many users, the thing will just slow you down and stop working. At some point, you need to say, "Okay, I've grown to a point where performance is impacted. I need to get some bigger hardware." If I get to that stage, I will possibly look at using one of the virtual appliances and putting it on some bigger hardware."
  • "It gets expensive pretty quickly if you need to purchase license packs."

Kerio Control Reviews

BrianCook
Senior Technology Specialist - VP at Unified Technology Solutions
Reseller
Through the ease of how quickly we could roll out the VPN to everybody, we had whole companies remotely working overnight

• "It is very comprehensive and simple. It has all the active protections. It's updated. We love that you can set how often it is updated so you can work what is right for you. A large company with a lot of bandwidth can update the virus definitions and security definitions hourly, if they want. A smaller site that's remote, where maybe updating the definitions will eat into the bandwidth, we can schedule those more to go later at night. It's very flexible and works for us in all types of situations. This is great because then we don't have to learn seven different products to be able to work with seven different scenarios."
  • "I would like to see a little improvement in their technical support when you have a problem. I may be a little jaded because I came from Kerio when we could call and get a person on the phone who worked on the product. Every tech had their own demo setup. They had instant messaging capability with the developers. If we found a problem, then we could get a result for it quickly. Now, the product seems to be 24 hours. They have also gone to the model that if you need quicker support, then they now charge you additional for the exact same level of support that they used to give. I am assuming it's the exact same level of support that they say it is. I'm not paying extra for it. That's the biggest flaw with the product."

What is our primary use case?

We use it ourselves and deploy it to our customers, which are small and medium-sized businesses. Our use cases are for both ourselves and our clients, mainly as a frontline protection for their internal networks to filter viruses and threats as well as for web filtering to ensure employees and guest networks don't access material that wouldn't be appropriate to be viewed. It's also used for remote access VPNs so remote users can access internal servers and resources, as well as site-to-site VPNs for multi-site offices to access resources located either at the main HQ headquarters or at an alternate site.

How has it helped my organization?

It does antivirus, malware, and ransomware. We feel the coverage is complete across the entire spectrum of malware, viruses, and most ransomware. It also covers some types of adware, which is an unwanted program that's not necessarily bad, but there's no reason to have it.

We have a lot of other companies that were multi-site companies which had servers at different sites not talking to each other. They had remote workers or maybe they were using open RDP as their access to their internal network. These customers were getting ransomware infections and constantly just getting frustrated not being able to share resources between sites and this gives them the capability. I have a lot of customers, especially in the non-profit market, where we've had a lot of success deploying the solution.

A lot of the non-profits also have open WiFi and the filtering tools have been great for making sure that the WiFi bandwidth isn't drained by somebody sitting there and just surfing videos. We can control the open WiFi and we can control public computers to make sure that they stay just on the sites that we want them to stay on, e.g., employment sites, training, etc. So, it's been really helpful for the non-profits.

If a tech has a basic understanding of firewalls, NATing, and security, it is amazing how quick we can teach them how to use the product to its full capabilities. We can take a half day to a day and a brand new tech who's never seen the product can pretty much understand it enough to set it up, work with a customer, and make changes that a customer requests. There's nothing better than a customer calling and saying, "We need to add this site," and instead of saying, "Well, let me open a ticket and get an engineer to look at the thing," we go, "One second," and, through the MyKerio portal, find their firewall, remote into it, make the change, and say, "Okay, test it now. Works? Perfect." Hang up the phone and we are done.

With COVID-19 and everything that has happened, customers would call us up and say, "We're shutting down. Friday's our last day. Everybody is going to work from home." In 24 hours, we could have them all working remotely. The amount of time and simplicity of getting users set up with the VPN allowed us to get massive numbers of users working remotely at businesses that had never even considered remote work as a possibility. Or, maybe the owner had a little bit of remote capability, but that was it. Just through the ease of and the free VPN client it was amazing how quickly we could roll out VPN to everybody, we had whole companies remotely working overnight.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the ease of use. We don't have to go crazy trying to figure out how to do something. It allows you to make changes, set things up, turn on things for a customer without having to go through 37 different menus, read the manual, and try to remember it. It's pretty straightforward. That's what attracted it to us in the beginning. While we can work with complicated systems, most of our customers don't need them, then we end up just spending more time setting up the solution than we really need to. It's more productive, the customer saves money and at the same time and we make more money off of it. I can set up a whole firewall solution in 30 minutes and that's valuable to me.

We have been very happy with the security features. We find that the keyword filtering is great. Also, the antivirus filtering is excellent. One thing we always tell our customers is that we have never had a client using Kerio Control and the antivirus tools that we suggest who has been infected with any type of ransomware. We have customers who have had ransomware, but they were all ones who chose not to go with Kerio Control. That's always just been a very simple, easy, and powerful fact that we can explain to people, "We've never had a customer who has used this firewall along with our recommended antivirus and had a ransomware infection."

It is very comprehensive. It has all the active protections. It's updated regularly. We love that you can set how often threat definitions updated so you can work what is right for the site. A large company with a lot of bandwidth can update the virus definitions and security definitions hourly, if they want. A smaller site that's remote, where maybe updating the definitions will eat into the bandwidth, we can schedule those more to go later at night. It's very flexible and works for us in all types of situations. This is great because then we don't have to learn seven different products to be able to work with seven different scenarios.

We've been very happy with the solution’s firewall and intrusion detection features. The company has been pretty good when it comes to maintaining it and closing out security holes. For example, when there was a security bug found in the encryption in the VPN, they were very quick about reacting to that and coming out with a new VPN client encryption. At the same time, they made sure that for those cases where maybe you couldn't upgrade right away, there was a bit of overlap of backward capability so you weren't like, "Oh geez. I have to do everybody at once."

We love the VPN feature. That is one of our favorite things. The free client that they have makes it so easy to attach computers to the company network and we can usually set somebody up in like five minutes or so. It's real simple for the users because of the way that it presents the information you don't have all types of weird keys and stuff that users have to remember or write down, which is great because a key lost on a piece of paper is just as bad as a key found by a hacker. So, the computer memorizes it all, stores it, and makes it real simple with a push button to either connect, disconnect, or keep the connection persistent, which we love because then for a company-owned computer it stays connected from the moment the user logs in to logs out. Then, we can actually sync the user's VPN credentials to their Active Directory account and that is really helpful, because if a user leaves, disabling their Active Directory credential also disables their VPN credentials automatically and now when an employee is no longer with the company we don't have to worry about going to a separate system and shutting that VPN down until we can get our hands physically back on the laptop. We don't have security risks hanging out there.

MyKerio is a really neat tool where there's one central website that I can go and see every Kerio firewall that we manage. I don't have to go find specific logins for every firewall because I log into the MyKerio site with my master credentials, and it has two-factor authentication to make sure it's secure. Once I'm in, I can choose any of the Kerio firewalls that we manage: Kerio firewalls, Kerio Operator Phone Systems, or their Kerio Connect mail product. I can find any of them and quickly attach to it, then help the customer. It makes it real nice instead of having to chase down a list of IP addresses and passwords. As a managed service provider, it's nice because if a tech leaves, then I can cut them out of all our customers by simply closing their MyKerio account since they never actually had a direct login to the firewall itself.

What needs improvement?

The one feature that seemed to be missing for a while that they finally just readded was the ability to filter by known IP lists, either specific countries, or lists of IPs know to be hackers. That was in the product awhile ago, but just wasn't maintained for a while, but they recently did start to maintain it again it.

The MyKerio online portal could probably use a little touch up and tweaks, sometimes the backups just fail or you have to log off and back in with a new browser to connect to a device. The site is glitchy every now and then.

The guest network that they had behind a splash screen is the one spot that we're not thrilled with. We believe the guest network could have a more reliable and better customization on the splash screen, and sometimes we have issues with users getting to the splash screen at all. Our solution is just buy unlimited licenses to get around that. Then instead of using the guest WiFi, we create a whole separate VLAN with no splash page or use a splash page through the access points if we need a splash page. Its also not customizable at all so you can't put logos or names on it, make them accept a usage agreement, etc.

It was long before GFI even owned them. It has to be almost 10 years.

We have not had any problems with the stability at all. It's pretty solid once we get them running. Besides reboots for updates, we usually never have to do anything with them. The only ones that I can ever remember failing are caused by physical hardware failures. A lot of times either there is a lightning strike, electrical surge, or something like that. Once or twice, we've had a fail where we can't tell exactly why it failed, but it's always been the hardware that's failed, not the firewall software. I do remember one very old box that had gone through multiple iterations and had copied backups from hardware to hardware to hardware for almost a decade, which started acting a little funny. It stayed up, but we would see weird logs that didn't make sense. For that one, we finally did a backup, wiped it, restored the backup, and all the problems went away. That's the only time where the software was the cause and it was nothing that actually affected end users.

I have it in customers that have four users. The largest site that we've had (with a single box) is probably 150 users, including guests, and it scaled right up and I'm sure I could have pushed it much farther. Again the nice part about the product is they have a software-only version where you could put it on your own hardware, where you can slap it in a Xeon server if you really needed to, and I'd have no fears that the product could actually filter a whole school campus.

In our company, it's mainly our techs who work with this solution. The roles are usually customer-facing techs and support techs. We call them technology specialists, but it would be equal to a tech support type person. Everybody in the company dealing with customers knows how to manage the product because it's so simple. There's no reason to have a firewall engineer. We have a senior person for a really complex setup, but every tech can work on the product and set it up for the average company. Every tech can make changes that the customer requests right then and there when they call.

I would like to see a little improvement in their technical support when you have a problem.  I may be a little jaded because I came from Kerio when we could call and get a person on the phone who worked on product. Every tech had their own demo setup. They had instant messaging capability with the developers. If we found a problem, then we could get a result for it quickly. Now, the product seems to be 24 hours response no matter what the issue. They have also gone to the model that if you need quicker support, then they now charge you additional for the exact same level of support that they used to give for free. I am assuming it's the exact same level of support that they say it is. I'm not paying extra for it. That's the biggest flaw with the product.

We have a mix. A lot of our customers are just building or starting to manage thier network, so this is their first new product that didn't come from an office store. We also have some that were replacing an existing product either because the product got old and it was time to replace it, or sometimes because we've seen issues with other products we know this will fix. For one product in particular, we will see point-to-point VPN instability sometimes that customers have been dealing with years. We'll say, "Hey, let us put this in. Chances are it's going to clear up." Usually, it does. One customer had a point-to-point VPN with a that product that would go down almost every day. Now, the point-to-points have been up for about five months straight. This shows how reliable the solution is.

For other customers, sometimes we'll replace another product because they got oversold. They'll have some very large product that's really expensive, and we're like, "Hey, that's cool. It does a ton of neat things you don't even need. But this product will do pretty much all the same things, especially all the things you currently use as well as give you some capability to grow into." A lot of customers didn't realize they need VPNs until all of a sudden they grow. There is nothing worse than telling a customer, "Remember when you saved a couple hundred bucks a year ago. Well, that's all gone now because the product you chose doesn't support this." That's what we like about this solution. It is priced low enough for entry-level, but it has the power to grow with a company without them having to replace it.

The initial setup is super straightforward. We can get a basic firewall running in under an hour. That is from opening the box  to getting it working. We tend to take it out of the box and do a little bit of preconfiguring for half an hour, maybe 45 minutes if it's a really complex multi-VLAN setup. Once you have it ready and bring it out to the customer site, then you plug it in and do a couple of final steps. We can get a sealed box to set up in under an hour.

We do have some basic guidelines that we try and use across all of our customers (minimum requirements), but because we deal with a wide range of customers, where some of our customers have four employees and others have 400, there will be minor changes. Everybody usually has a regular network, then a VLAN for guests, but sometimes our larger companies have VLANs for labs and other sections of the business: for example maybe development and admins get more rights. We always make sure the antiviruses, the IPS, filtering are running with a basic number of rules.

Don't over think the implementation. The biggest thing that you can do is start overthinking when you're setting it up, and be like, "Well, what do I have to do next?" You're probably already done. It's real simple. Anybody could take the manual home if they've never seen it before. They have a complete 30-day demo that you can download. Even if you aren't hooked into the Internet, you can log into the web GUI and look through it. It's great because it gives you an opportunity to do that and play with the product. If you're a technical person, you could take the manual home for the night, then the next day set one of these things up.

We always deploy it by ourselves, I think anyone with some IT experience could do it. I mean its not for Grandma but if you understand routing you can do it.

We're rolling out a four location non-profit right now that pretty much had zero network infrastructure. We're bringing our third site on out of four next week. Getting the firewall up is the easy part. It's been more of tying in their computers to the rest of the network and stuff, but eventually we're going to replace this hodgepodge of laptops and emailing files with central shares backed up and secured with the proper permissions all through the VPN.

Once customers get into doing site-to-site, employee remote VPNs, they start seeing savings in travel time and time costs. When everybody talks about savings, a lot of people forget to think about, "If my employees have to individually mail a bunch of files to somebody else, spend time trying to access files, or getting somebody in the office to send the files, that's a lot of time spent," this is where giving VPN capabilities both site-to-site and for end users who usually can't afford them is a giant cost savings, being able to seamlessly work remotely, include roaming employees who are able to go site-to-site and access the same resources at any location.

It's generally inexpensive compared to a lot of other products out there.

We don't use the solution’s high-availability/failover protection. For our market, it just hasn't been something that's been worth it for the cost. Because the software can run on both the Kerio hardware as well as regular off the shelf computer hardware, we've actually just maintained a standard computer with some extra NICs in it or a microcomputer as a backup. So, if a box goes out, we just run out there, pull the backup file off the web (since it is backed up through the MyKerio portal), and push it to the box, then we can have them back up in an hour or two. We can then worry about a permanent replacement once the client is back up.

The biggest advice that I could probably give people is when you buy the solution be prepared to buy a few extra licenses if you want a guest network but you don't need to go crazy. Each user license gives you one employee and five devices. In the world nowadays where everybody has a cellphone, tablet, desktop, and laptop, that's still four devices and you still get one more device per person to cover the company printers, servers, etc.

We do evaluate other products both before we choose Kerio Control and on a regular bases. We do have one or two smaller firewall product that we use for the true entry-level businesses who don't need any capabilities, and we are constantly seeing products as we get new customers and what products they are using currently. We don't like to rip them out right away until we understand the network and its issues, we have to get familiar with a customer before we can make a recommendation.

Vendors are always coming out with new things and there are always new features. True cloud management seems to be the big buzz right now, so we've been looking at those type of products. However, so far we keep going back to Kerio Control.

A lot of times I can do things in one screen of Kerio Control that would take two to three screens. I was just making a firewall rule with NAT forwarding on a different product for a customer a couple of days ago and that took four different screens and four different menus. One of the nice things about Kerio is how it does firewall rules and port forwarding.You do it all-in-one screen called "rules" where It creates the forwarding, the NAT, and the port holes.

With some products I'd have to go into a window to create a firewall rule of VLAN 1 to VLAN 2, then I have to create a firewall rule of VLAN 2 to VLAN 3. Finally, I have to create a firewall rule of VLAN 1 to VLAN 3. That's three separate firewall rules that I have to build. If I want to block one port, then that's three separate firewall rules I have to edit. On Kerio Control, the way it's setup, I can make one rule that encompasses all three of those rules by having my source have multiple sources, multiple destinations, and multiple ports. For example, a security camera system needs three ports forwarded to it. I might have to create three rules and 3 NAT translations, one for each of those ports. Some of them I can group, but others you can't. With Kerio firewall, I can list all those ports in one spot. Therefore, I can create a rule that allows the WAN and VPN 2 to access a camera system on VPN 3 on these two ports and point it all to the Camera System using only one rule.

It is not the most powerful firewall out there, I understand that, but it's a great balancing act between the capabilities. It's as capable as many of my other firewalls, but at the same time, it's not as complicated. You don't need to take a three-month course like you do with some of the other products in order to be able to use it properly. It's all GUI-based, unlike some products. Sure a lot of products have a GUI where you get just so much done, then at a certain point, you have to jump into command line. There is no command line option in Kerio Control because its not needed, there isn't a point where I have to pull out a manual and find obscure commands to type in to get the product to do something I want it to do.

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely well suited for and marketed for SMBs but could some enterprises use it? I believe that they could. I believe that there are some spots in the enterprise market that should be looking at this product. I think that some companies would be pleasantly surprised if they considered it for enterprise market use.

It's inexpensive and secure enough that you could have multiple instances running across a campus, if you needed to do routing. It supports a ton of VLANs, especially if you put it on your own hardware. You can easily have this thing run thousands of users just by scaling up the hardware because it has the ability to run on standard PC or Server hardware so you can pop it right into a computer and boot it up. This is great because you can choose any amount of hardware that you want to put it on to get it to scale to what you need, and you can upgrade it as needed. It's also great when you do have virtual environments.

The company has always been pretty good to work with, which is important. Obviously, GFI's a much bigger company than the original vendor, so some things have changed, but they're a friendly company and want to work with you. They have a nice NFR program. We always like products that have NFR programs, not because we're always looking for free stuff, but because it's nice to be able to use the same equipment inside that we sell to customers, even if it doesn't make sense for us financially (though Kerio Control makes sense for us). Just having that capability to say, "Hey, we use this product ourselves." It's a question that customers ask IT companies a lot, "What do you use?" So, if I can say, "I use Kerio Control." That goes a long way to making the customer understand I really like this product. I trust my business to it. You can trust me when I say, "You can trust your business to it."

I would rate the product as a nine out of 10. I've never heard a customer that went on it be upset. I have never had a customer tell me, "I want to get rid of this thing."

Andy Dibble
IT Manager at Flare Technologies
With VPN, any of our guys can log in to the system and effectively be on board; helps with our customers all over the world

• "One thing we use quite a lot, as well, is the DHCP Server, because we do a lot of work where all our devices need to have static IP addresses. Rather than going around and configuring every box, we do it all through DHCP reservations. It's easier. We've got a record of it. We can manipulate it if we need to change something or change some hardware. It's all easy. Even guys who are not used to using it can pick it up quite quickly."
  • "There's also room for improvement in the Traffic Rules. We define networks to use a specific outgoing interface, say VSAT, shore, or marine WiFi, which is okay. But then all we have is a checkbox that says "Use other internet interfaces if this one is unavailable." What we would prefer would be to have a priority list. So if VSAT is unavailable, try to use 4G, etc. We haven't really found a reliable way of doing that in the current release."

What is our primary use case?

Our main customer base is superyachts, and they have the Kerio for traffic rules and bandwidth management of the various networks on board. They can optimize traffic for crew versus owners and guests, the VIPs that might be on board. They also use it for bandwidth sharing. They usually have a mixture of the VSAT satellite internet and 4G internet access. Sometimes they have WiFi, for example if they connect to a WiFi hotspot in a marina, as well as shoreline or fixed DSL. They use it to manipulate the internet traffic, so they can say the crew uses the slower VSAT and the guest gets the fast 4G or shoreline.

They also use it to see what's going on. If the boss complains that the internet's slow, they can quickly see if someone is downloading a load of updates or streaming Netflix and they can block them. They just want to have control, as the product name suggests, over the internet traffic.

In-house, we use the NG300, but because we are a partner, we use various hardware platforms. At the moment it's nearly all the NG series, the 100, 200, and 500. The most common that we use is the NG500. I'm interested in using the next-generation, which is due out in the next couple of months, but I've also used the virtual Kerio platform on a VMware hypervisor.

There's a virtual appliance, but also software installed on a Windows PC. We build our own virtual "guest" on a host, we've done a couple of those, and then attached it to a switch with VLANs, so we've covered all platforms.

We have these Kerios on anything from a 30-meter Sunseeker, with five or six crew members, four guest cabins, and a couple of master cabins, or a master and a VIP. They might have 20 guests so there would be a total of about 30 users and some 50 devices for those users. There is also all the AV equipment. And we've gone right up to a 120-meter superyacht, with 50 to 100 crew and space for about 200 guests. We've also got a couple of ski chalets, and a private island in Ibiza. A few hundred users is its top end, but as far as network-connected endpoints go, it could be in the few thousands of devices.

How has it helped my organization?

The way it improves the way our company functions is through the VPN, because we offer support services. Normally, we would have to rely on TeamViewer to a computer on board, or to get on the phone and tell somebody to take pictures or press buttons, where we can't see what's going on.

In the last year or two, after setting up the VPN, any of our guys can log straight in to the system and they are effectively on board. That is a big help because our customers are all over the world. They could be in Ibiza one day, but then they're heading to the South of France and then they're going off to Greece or crossing the Atlantic. Sometimes it's difficult to send somebody out to them quickly. They might not want to pay for somebody to come out. It could be two or three days of round-trip travel for a half-hour job. The VPN makes it more efficient. We can jump in and see what's going on. We can mimic our engineer's being on board the vessel via the VPN. That's the biggest benefit. And it's instant. Someone rings me up and I've got a single VPN connection and I can get to their networks.

What is most valuable?

The most common feature is the Traffic Rules, so the users can define which network or which users access which internet interface. But bandwidth management and content filtering are also commonly used.

With the Traffic Rules we define all the different sources, such as various user groups or network interfaces for the crew. And we show them that if they want the guests to access 4G internet, this is how they do it. They're defining who gets what, in the Traffic Rules.

If they've only got a single connection, and everyone's sharing it, then they would jump into bandwidth management and prioritize the boss, but also allow the crew a little bit of internet, just to get by, for WhatsApp messages and emails.

Content filtering is to stop malicious content. They don't want people accessing the various categories in the filter. The default is usually pretty good for them, things like BitTorrent, downloads, and sharing, but also the more "adult" parts of the internet.

It gives our customers pretty much everything they need in one product, in terms of security features. It's a firewall, but generally for what they want, it works.

What our customers like about it is that it has a nice interface. It's been around in the yacht sector for a long time. I was introduced to Kerio by the yacht customers. They were saying they want this firewall and I hadn't really heard of it. They're usually comfortable with it because it's a familiar interface.

By default, the firewall stops everything coming in but allows everything going out. For everything we've needed, it's done the job. If we've needed to open something up or block something we've managed to do it.

We also use the VPN quite a lot. We have an NG500 in our data center and we actually create a VPN tunnel between and our data center and each of our current customers who have a Kerio. Technically, it's one-way because they don't talk to each other via VPN. All the customers are separate, but as a support company, we can VPN from our laptops to our data center and from there we can access all our customers' networks. That is handy for us because we can log on to their IT switches or their AV equipment to offer support. We also use it for delivering email for some customers, whereby because they don't always have a guaranteed fixed IP address, we give them one, in a sense. We have a pool of IPs in our data center. All the mail hits their assigned IP address and is sent over the VPN to their email servers on board.

We also have some third-party subcontractors and we can give them access to specific customers. We can give them an account on our firewall and through our own traffic rules we can allow them or deny them access to specific customers and specific parts of that customer's network. Because they're hitting the central point, we don't necessarily want them to access all our customers. The customers themselves don't often have a big, remote-work environment because the crew is either on board or off. But we have seen a small increase in customers wanting to use VPN to access files on board, and during the COVID outbreak some of the ETOs (electronic technical officers) and the technical guys have not actually been able to get to the yacht, physically. So we've set them up with VPN so they can actually continue to do certain work. When we first started using Kerio we never really used VPN. Now, pretty much every Kerio we supply gets on the VPN.

The ease of use of Kerio is very good. Everything's there, once you know where to go or how to find things. One thing we use quite a lot, as well, is the DHCP Server, because we do a lot of work where all our devices need to have static IP addresses. Rather than going around and configuring every box, we do it all through DHCP reservations. It's easier. We've got a record of it. We can manipulate it if we need to change something or change some hardware. It's all easy. Even guys who are not used to using it can pick it up quite quickly.

The learning curve is pretty quick. It helps if someone has a general IT understanding of networking, for certain aspects. What we don't always have on a customer's site is somebody who is familiar with all aspects of the Kerio, such as interfaces, VLANs, and IP subnetting. They don't always understand DHCP, what it is and how it works. They pick it up pretty quickly, but it usually helps if someone has at least some knowledge of IT and networking. Normally, though, we find it's quite a decent balance because they will do what they want to do after a little bit of training. Anything else they'll leave to us or they'll ask us the question, and then we can either do it or go and figure it out and then come back and do it.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it might not be detailed enough, or it might have more details but the customers just don't know where to look. The issue is usually when it comes to specific packets. Sometimes they find it slightly difficult to see exactly what's going on.

For example, we had a customer who was using the content filter. They tried to block Facebook using the web filter categories, and in combination with that they wanted to always require that a user was authenticated before accessing web pages. What would happen was that even though they had the content filter enabled to block social networking — Facebook may even be a category — it still allowed them to get in through mobile apps. If they went to the website, it would prompt them for login and then it would deny it, but they would get into the app and they weren't even logged in. That might have been an HTTPS issue and the way that the app was talking, rather than an actual website or what page. We always managed to find a way around. They'll come to us with a question and then we'll figure it out and usually they're happy enough with that.

There's also room for improvement in the Traffic Rules. We define networks to use a specific outgoing interface, say VSAT, shore, or marine WiFi, which is okay. But then all we have is a checkbox that says "Use other internet interfaces if this one is unavailable." What we would prefer would be to have a priority list. So if VSAT is unavailable, try to use 4G, etc. We haven't really found a reliable way of doing that in the current release.

Finally, the customers sometimes want to use the VPN link for outbound traffic. But at the moment, it appears that there is an all-or-nothing solution, so either everything uses the VPN and breaks out at the remote site or nothing does. The simple example is for the email system we've put in. We can direct traffic in over the VPN, but we'd also like to send that same email traffic out of their server over the VPN to break out on a specific IP address in our data center. We would like to see a little bit of functionality in prioritizing of internet interfaces.

I have been using Kerio Control for about 10 years.

The stability is good.

There have only been a couple of occasions where we've had high RAM usage of the Kerio, where it may be a more complex network. What we found is that over the course of a week or 10 days, the RAM utilization would slowly increase to a point where it would be 100 percent usage and then you couldn't do anything with the box. You would have to physically power it off.

We do have cases open for Kerio with GFI and they're looking into it. Apparently there is going to be quite a big software update coming soon, which will change the backend workings. That's hopefully going to make a big difference, but the problem has only happened in one or two cases. Other than that, it's generally pretty solid.

If you've got a hardware appliance, then you are generally limited to its own specifications, in terms of throughput and power. That's what you've got. If you start hitting that, then it's time for a new box, or you need to look for something else.

On the NG500 you can increase the RAM slightly and you can also increase the storage space.

But there is no way of changing processing power. So you have to specify the right box. You can increase physical network interfaces if you want to. You attach a switch to it and scale it that way if you need more physical interfaces. We haven't needed to do that. Or if you wanted to have fibre connections; you would have to attach it to something else.

It would be nice to see SFP slots in new hardware, which I think is coming in one of the models.

Overall, you'll hit a point with the box where you can't really scale any higher. But if you've got a virtual appliance, if you want to give it more processing power you can. If you want to give it loads of memory or storage, I would find it quite easy to really scale it up in terms of hardware resources.

Technical support is pretty good. They're quick to respond. You get an answer straight away, although it might not be the final answer.

I have learned a few things from contacting support, things that I probably wouldn't have ever found out just researching online or playing with it myself.

At the moment, the particular questions we have are a bit more complicated than just, "How do I configure this traffic rule to do this job?" We've got a problem with RAM being utilized and we don't know why, and I had to send them system logs. I've had to do full system resets, complete erase and recovery. It's a bit tricky. It's more development-type work rather than user support. I think they're holding back from really getting involved with that because they are developing the new system. At the moment, our workaround is just to reboot the box every two weeks, which is inconvenient, but if they're going to solve this, then we just have to wait.

The setup is straight out-of-the-box. Take it out of the box, run through the wizard, configure it with the settings that you should already know, and then it works and you get in online. That's the basic setup, because the Traffic Rules, by default, allow everything out and stop everything coming in. That's enough to just get online.

You then go to start defining your networks and your traffic rules. Putting multiple VLANs in there is easy. Even as it gets to be a more complex configuration, it's easy to do.

Sometimes it's time-consuming if it's a large configuration, but that's just what it is. It takes time to click boxes if it's a large network with lots of different scenarios, and to type in all the IP addresses.

But it's easy out-of-the-box for a basic configuration and still fairly easy if you've got that knowledge of the Kerio and networking. Just a little time-consuming. If there were some kind of import or bulk add, that would be nice, but that's on a wish list. It's really not that necessary.

If a customer just wants something out-of-the-box, we plug it in, make it work, and it probably takes a couple of hours, at the most. If it's a bit more complex, it might take a day. It might take longer if you don't know what you're doing.

I've always told customers that there is no fixed configuration. This thing will work and do what you want it to do. As time progresses, it evolves with the changing requirements. So we can give them a solution. They can give us some key config points telling us "Okay, we want this many networks and we want these users, and these particular rules," etc. We configure all that  in a day and test it the next day. After that, it's ongoing. They might decide, "Oh, we actually want to change the bandwidth allocation," or "We've got a new internet interface," or we want to block Facebook at a specific time. It's ongoing.

We have definitely seen return on investment with Kerio Control because it would take us a lot longer to fix something in a lot of support calls we get. We might be stuck on the phone for four hours just to try and talk someone through something that we could fix in 20 minutes, because they're not looking in the right place or they don't see something that is relevant. Whereas, we've been able to use the VPN through Kerio, so we can sometimes fix a problem before they've even finished describing it. It has definitely helped us a lot.

Kerio's VPN has easily saved us 50 percent, maybe more, in terms of time spent on support. We're connected in seconds. We can see things quickly. We can be connected to five different customers at once through a single connection.

Pricing depends on the requirements. The more powerful boxes, like the NG500, are more expensive on licensing terms, depending on how you license them. At the moment, the NG500 doesn't have an unlimited user option. I believe they took it away, although I might be wrong.

Figure out how many users you're going to need because there's no point in configuring or licensing it for 200 users "just in case," when you might only need 50. It's obviously going to cost you four times as much.

There is an option to have GFI Unlimited, which is their all-in-one licensing model, which includes Kerio Control. It works for hardware boxes as well the software virtual appliances. Depending on the number of users, it might be more beneficial to go for GFI Unlimited. It can work out cheaper.

The other real experience I've had is with Cisco ASA, Palo Alto, and WatchGuard.

The Cisco was more complicated and people didn't really like it because it was a more complicated interface or it seemed more complicated for them.

The WatchGuard and, from what I saw, the Palo Alto are good firewalls; some would say better as firewalls than Kerio. But they don't have all the other features and they didn't seem as easy. They may have more specific options you could set in the actual firewall rules; you could drill it down a bit further. But my experience has been pretty limited, so it might have just been that they looked like they did more, but in fact they just looked more complicated and only gave the impression they would do more. But these devices didn't have all the features of Kerio like the users, the groups, domain logins, bandwidth management, and content filters. They were just firewalls.

Generally, our customers are all small to medium, if you were to compare them with a typical business. They're not "enterprise" technically, even though they do run a lot of enterprise hardware, like full Cisco networks, etc. They just don't really have the same configuration. They've got the budget, but they just don't always want to spend it. I think Kerio could work in an enterprise. A lot of the time, it depends on who is running the security and what they prefer and what is approved by any governing bodies.

Kerio seems to have a reputation, for some people, not to be a true firewall. It's just a feeling that people get, but that's biased towards what they prefer to work with.

On the same price point, you can't compare them. If you're looking at a Kerio box that might be £3,000 a box plus a year's license every year, versus our £100,000 security system, you can't really compare them. But for devices and hardware/software in the same price range, I wouldn't knock it back for something else.

What other advice do I have?

Regardless of whether you get a box or virtual, the interface is nearly always the same. There are very few changes between versions. Research what you think you're going to need. Don't just buy the biggest box or the most expensive box because you think it's going to be better.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is that you don't always have to be onsite to fix something.

The malware and antivirus features are pretty good. We generally have other malware and antivirus protection as well. A lot of the time, things come in via email so we do have services from Symantec, which filters that out beforehand. Very occasionally I have seen a false positive, where it's blocking something that's actually allowed, but then I can usually figure it out and just allow it. When I've seen something has been blocked or someone has reported they're trying to do something and they can't access or download a file, I can quickly see in the logs that something has been blocked because of the antivirus detection. And I've managed to go from there, allow the file.

One feature we haven't used yet is the solution's high availability failover protection. It's something that I've not even tested myself. I was interested in it when it was first announced, but I was reading about it and a few people said that some of the early implementations were a little bit buggy. I have a feeling it's gotten better now. But I've not used it and no one has asked for it either.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Silver Partner with GFI
Learn what your peers think about Kerio Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Frank Raasveld
Owner at Fr@nkonnections
Very easy to view how things are working and protects you from hackers

• "When one of the employees of my customers is using the VPN Client, I have created for them that they will always get a message. When the VPN Client connects to Kerio Control from the outside, they will get an email so they know when they are connected and when they are disconnected what is happening to their network."
  • "After the takeover by GFI, one of the things that Kerio built was MyKerio environment. This has not been very reliable because I get many messages that MyKerio is not functioning. For some reason, there are things that they changed and it is not very reliable at this moment, instead I have to connect to the firewall to see what is happening."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a service for my customers. My primary target is to help my customers in the best way to protect them from the dangerous things from the Internet. As a solution, it's easy to maintain. The product is a good solver that also depends on good support and its availability of engineers.

I am using the latest version of Kerio Control. It is an old type of configuration with VPN connections. I still like the product very much.

It is mostly installed on the Linux software appliance. That's what I mostly use for my customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Most customers are not able to understand the technology behind it. I am always trying to explain it to my customers. When I show my customers the interface of Kerio Control and all the reporting features along with the security features within the logging, they're very impressed. I have a very good relationship with my customers because this is mostly based on trust. I show them, and if they have doubts, I always say, "Just hire somebody to check my work." For example, a year and half ago in the travel industry, there were new rules for travel agencies who give out credit cards that they must comply with PCI DSS standards. There were some things that had to be adjusted and Kerio was able to adjust for that. So, it met the demands of PCI DSS standards.

When one of the employees of my customers was using a VPN Client, I created it so they will always get a message. When the VPN Client connects to Kerio Control from the outside, they will get an email so they know when they are connected and when they are disconnected what is happening to their network. I can, as an administrator, look in the logging and see what's happening. If I really wanted to manage what is happening over a month, then I could go deeply within Kerio Control and make a text file of the logging. I could then order an export to Excel to give the customer an impression of what is happening.

Our customers don't want to worry about their IP. If it's implemented well, Kerio Control is very good product for this.

What is most valuable?

• Security
  • Ease of use
  • Ease of install
  • Ease to recover
  • The load balancing is very easy to maintain.

The login appearances are very strong. In case of problems, you're able to find anything you want. I am always able to help my customers. I really love this product. It's very good. With its many features, there is no comparison. Over the years, I have seen other types of firewalls but they don't have these functionalities within them.

You can create your users, groups, IP addresses, IP groups, and make rules. It can do protocol inspection and load balancing. You can have a backup line where all kinds of scenarios are possible.

It has security features, like an open source Internet protection system. This is well-known and a good solution to protect you from guys who try to hack systems. They have also integrated a fire scanner, a protocol inspection, and web content filter. You can adjust things depending on the types of organizations who are using it. Over the years, it has been very easy to maintain.

I haven't seen anything else that compares to the comprehensiveness of its security features because I'm working mostly with small to mid-range offices. Manageability is very important, and that is possible with it.

Kerio Control's firewall and intrusion detection system, Snort, uses tables that are available on the Internet and loads them automatically. Over the years, I never had problems with my customers. The stability is very important for the product. I use Kerio Control as a central security system for my customers. On the workstation, I mostly use a virus scan. There are also multiple virus detections through your firewall.

The VPN Client for users is a strong feature within Kerio Control. An important thing within the VPN Client is it also has the possibility for two-factor authentication, which I really like. For some customers, this is very important.

I like its malware features.

This is a very robust the product.

What needs improvement?

With Kerio Connect, they blew it. They were not able to pace up with the competition. I am working with a variety of customers: lawyer offices, travel agencies, big shopping mall accounts, and small accountancy offices. They have all kinds of needs. Kerio Connect did a new launch in the Netherlands for the ACG and GDPR, which are very strict for some companies, like lawyer offices. It is important within the mail server product that you're able to encrypt your attachments and have two-factor authentication. All these type of things are not within Kerio Connect. Therefore, this product is not interesting anymore for my customers since the Dutch law is that strict. For example, there was a judgment from a judge this year when a company was hacked. There was a guy who maintained this network gave some advice to the customer, but the customer would not pay for that solution. He was held responsible for about 60 percent loss of this business, because there was a ransomware within in the organization. These are the things we have to deal with in the Netherlands and in Europe. Within the Netherlands, this is a very important thing, so you can probably understand how important it is that the product is okay with the market demands.

After the takeover by GFI, one of the things that Kerio built was MyKerio environment. This is a cloud solution to have an overview of the statuses of all the firewalls that you maintain. When a firewall or primary interface goes down, then you get messages. It also has an app for iPhone or Android. You can then have a quick view about the status of the firewalls for your customers. If there is a problem with the Internet connection, whether it is down or there is an update, then you get a message. So, I can proactively help my customers. However, after the takeover, this has not been very reliable because I get many messages that MyKerio is not functioning. For some reason, there are things that they changed and it is not very reliable at this moment, instead I have to connect to the firewall to see what is happening.

MyKerio is a cloud thing where you can easily see all the firewalls that you maintain for your customers along with the statuses behind them, providing a way to securely connect to your firewall appliances. This is a very strong feature of MyKerio. However, nowadays, I'm not really impressed about things they do with it. That needs improvement in my opinion.

Another thing is that you must be a specialist, like me, when you want to have more specific information, e.g., when there are incidents or things that are happening that need investigation, then you need to go to the shell prompts and logging, where you can perform anything. You can edit anything out of your log files. However, this is not possible within the Kerio Control admin interface. You can only search for one thing, but not for many things.

Kerio Control has a very good future, but it needs good marketing and knowledge around it.

I have been working with it since the beginning (1997). When it started, it was called WinRoute. Now, the name is Kerio Control.

It is a very stable product, which over the years has been very good.

The scalability is good. The VPN connections may need improvement. Because of all the security features within Kerio Control, e.g., it can do a deep packet inspection, this can slow down the traffic. Sometimes that creates a problem. For example, Kerio Control offers protocol inspection for the services that are available, and sometimes that gives problems because people are complaining that it is slow. The VPN connections from remote are not always very fast, so I think the throughputs of the VPN need improvement.

In every software, sometimes there are problems. One of the strong things about Kerio was the support knowledge and the involvement of the employees within the support department. I used to have the impression that the people working there were part of the products. It was almost a pleasure to have contact with people who were really involved with the products. After the take over of Kerio Control and Kerio Connect by GFI, it was really disastrous because a lot of the people involved were gone. When I had a problem and I asked for support, then they are asking me questions that I think help, but they don't understand the product. This is logical, of course, because there was a takeover.

The GFI product support for Kerio Connect has been unacceptable for my customers and me because I had major businesses that were running with this software and very satisfied because of the user-friendliness. Error and problems cannot be cured, but they must be solved. For example, when I perform an update, the next thing will be a ruined email system, but nobody will be available for support. This is also when they know that an update is coming and I am calling after updating it. They promise to support us, but there is no support, which is terrible. This is the thing that I feel is very important when you use business-critical software, and they need to improve on. I want to be able to call their support and reach someone who has knowledge about the product.

It has a very sophisticated logging system. I need to be able to connect to the engineers behind it, who develop it, and tell them, "Okay, that's wrong." If I'm not able to connect to first level engineers and make them understand that they're not able to help me or they need deeper knowledge of the product, then there is a problem. While this is not an issue with Kerio Control because they have proven with the product that they are able to maintain it, the major problem for me with Kerio Connect was they ruined things in the past and I was unable to go back. So, I'm very interested in how they are improving the support to make things work again with MyKerio, as it is very good feature.

I have worked with all the firewall systems, like Cisco. I see how people struggle of with it and also how much effort it takes to maintain it and implement rules. Kerio did a very good job with that. You can also, in a quick way, see inbound and outbound traffic and make your own filters.

A basic initial setup is very simple and straightforward. They offer a straightforward set of rules to make it work, then you can create all the rules you need for the customer depending on their demands. It can do almost anything.

The deployment time frame varies. For example, if I am deploying to a shopping mall, that shopping mall has all kinds of offices. Every office has its own demands regarding the IP system that they use. Every shop has its own software supply and concepts. Sometimes things get complex, then I start from scratch to make sure everything is maintainable, but this is very easy in Kerio Control if you know how to do your job.

Because of the coronavirus, for people who want to work at home, it is very easy to set up VPN Clients because that is a piece of cake.

When you look at Kerio Control, they are able to maintain it in a way that I had no problems because I was always careful with updates. I first test them on-premise before I roll it out to my customers. That's also no guarantee, but we are able to maintain it in a good way.

Implementation strategy changes per customer. Some customers have very strict policies about the sites that they can access via the Internet. Others have limited bandwidth. For example, I had a customer who could not visit some Internet sites because most of my customers have two Internet connections. I found out that connecting through the other interface wasn't a problem. It had to do this with the networks between them. It's very easy in Kerio Control to make another path where another Internet connection is used for that website.

I built a large network of freelancers over the years in the Netherlands and foreign countries to get the best solution for each customers. I am working with all types of people who are trustworthy and have good knowledge of the product. I tell my customers, "The IT world is the same as the medical world. You don't go to a heart specialist for an eye operation, and you don't go to your normal doctor for a heart operation. They're all specialists on their specific terrain." That is the way I operate for my customers.

I handle the deployment and maintenance of Kerio Control myself.

I have seen ROI over the years. It is part of the complete solution that I offer to my customers. Over the years, it has offered me a reliable platform for my customer and allowing me to build trust with my customers. That's the most important thing of Kerio Control.

If the support is not good, then I have a problem with my customers and it will cost me money. That's one of the things that GFI did after the takeover: It cost me a lot of money. Because there were a lot of problems, not with Kerio Control, but with Kerio Connect. It really cost me with unsatisfied customers.

It's not a very expensive solution from my point of view. Because it is not only about buying a product, but how much time does it cost to implement the features that the product offers? I haven't found another product that is able to do the things that Kerio Control can do for the money.

GFI has made a stupid decision regarding small office licensing. For offices where there are only three to five employees and had five years towards a five user product, they now force these customers to a 10-year user license. I really don't understand it. It's a stupid decision for the small offices who want a good solution for security because they'll probably decide to go to another product. Why should they buy something that they don't use?

I don't use the Kerio hardware because they're too expensive and difficult to maintain.

Kerio Control has the ability if you buy it (it's a separate option) to know malware sites. Then, they will be blocked and the user is informed.

I have used Cisco, FortiGate, pfSense, and then more simple router things that have integrated software. However, mostly in business, I don't want to use just a router with integrated software. I don't believe in that concept. My customers are of a size that the stability of the product and the way it is maintained are very important to me. That's one of the strongest things about Kerio Control. It has proven to me over the years, and with my customers as well, that it's a very stable product. I haven't seen another product that compares to it within its price range. However, I also have to help my customers when they are having problems when connecting to a site or when they are having problems in general. When I contact their IT to find out what's happening on their side, it is difficult to get an answer why things are going wrong.

I can't find a comparable product to Kerio Control that offers the same set of features for the same money.

I found another product that can do a lot more than Kerio Connect, and that's IceWarp. IceWarp is a very strong product. IceWarp is a really strong competitor within this market. I was impressed with the software's ease of use because it's completely web-based. It's not only a mail server product, which offers secure attachments with out-of-the-box Office, but offers two-factor authentication. It also has a web-based text editor and Excel sheet, where you can make a basic presentation. With the same interface, there is the possibility to do OneDrive or Google Drive. They built it with the same depth that you need to log in to your IceWarp environment as a user. You can store your documents and sync them with a Mac or Windows PC. However, there is not much to find about this product.

What other advice do I have?

Kerio Control is very good. The way that you can maintain it, it's very easy. I had an employee who built a copy of the product, which was a very basic interface for the open source community. You can find it on the Internet. He was impressed by the way Kerio built this firewall solver, because most firewalls are very difficult to maintain due to their complexity. If you are working in complex environments, it is not easy to maintain firewalls, because things are always changing. This is the part of Kerio that is very good.

Every IT guy that I show the interface of Kerio Control is impressed with the product because it's very easy to view how things are working (when you know what you're doing).

Ransomware is protected only when the system is able to detect, "Okay, this is coming from a link and that link is known, and it is within the protection."

I don't use the solution’s high-availability/failover protection because the hardware is needed as well and I wasn't able to test it. I want to test it first, because it's not only the testing, but what are the costs of ownership for the customer? Over the years, the Internet connections in the Netherlands are very stable. I always tell my customers that if they have an Internet connection that they should have a backup connection. The hardware that I use is mostly recent, stable hardware. So, it's not for my type of customers. This is not a very important feature because the hardware is well-maintained. However, that's a thing that I take care of since most hardware fails because there is not a good cooling environment or a lot of dust is in hardware. I make sure that things are running well as part of my services.

I'm still surprised that sometimes I need something which I thought was not within Kerio Control, and it was within Kerio Control. That's mostly the case.

Biggest lesson learnt: Stick with suppliers for software products who are able to give very good support.

I would rate the product as a nine (out of 10). It is very good.

Hybrid Cloud
Liam Bartlett
IT & Installations Manager at Odyssey Gaming
Good value and I haven't had to reboot one of the devices in the field

• "It has saved a lot of time and it was a secure way of doing it too. We had a whole contact center that worked from home for a period of time and that's a 21 hour a day contact center that we moved, that was spread out across the greater Brisbane region and working on home internet connections. Surprisingly, we didn't have a lot of stability issues anyway on those connections, but Kerio didn't blink, so that was good."
  • "If I would suggest anything, it would be to expand on its multifactor authentication to be a little bit more user-friendly. They should do multifactor authentications for the client itself perhaps, rather than served on a webpage, in a page hijack, that might be more user-friendly, but I don't have a lot of complaints about it. It's doing its job. You have to have a certain amount of skills to configure these things anyway, the ones that we use on-site doing point-to-point, and we've been tricked up a few times with their interfaces."

What is our primary use case?

Kerio Control is the primary firewall for our corporate network to the outside world. We use an IP transit that connects to an IP transit, so all the internet traffic in and out of the corporate network goes through the Kerio Control firewall. We use Kerio Control VPN Clients for our remote workers to dial into that corporate network with two-factor authentication.

We service all areas of Queensland in Australia and we've got clients from Thursday Island down to the border. We have regional sales guys, agents, and technicians throughout the state that require access to the corporate network for various reasons and that's how they get in. They require access for our call logging system and all that sort of stuff. It's the primary gateway for that. Apart from that, we also run Kerio devices in the field to do point to point VPNs.

We've had very few problems with the VPN features. Once we've set it up, it's pretty functionally user-friendly in terms of the firewall functions that we need to open and close ports on. Our users don't have a lot of problems with it. We've had to reboot it occasionally, but nothing extraordinary. Just standard maintenance rebates. Other than that, it just does the job.

We about 60 users that have access. Concurrently, there's probably only 10 concurrent users at only one time. Because of COVID, there's a lot more remote work going on. It would have been busier over that time, but I haven't actually looked at the stats since then. I know that it worked well and we didn't have any issues. Which is a nice thing not to have to worry about when there's a lot of other things on your plate.

There are only two of us that would really get in there and reconfigure the firewall. Most of the time we'll run that past TechPath anyway, just to make sure that we're not going to punch a hole. We don't intend to. In terms of checking problems, checking logs, in terms of people management as well, seeing who's been logged in, who hasn't, it's very easy to get online and get onto the device and do from anywhere. It's very easy and flexible to use.

Prior to Kerio, we couldn't uncover that data. Prior to Kerio, we were using a hardware device but it didn't have remote access or any of those features. It was something we had to do on-site and it wasn't very user-friendly. It wasn't something that management could do if they wanted to and yet this one's pretty easy if they had access.

How has it helped my organization?

The main example of how Kerio has improved my organization would be through the COVID shutdown in terms of just being able to scale. It scales very easily to users that weren't normally remote workers. The fact that it scales well at very little trouble to scale with the amount of users on there, and then to have no issues over that period with increased usage, it did the job. The less I know about it, the better it's doing.

It has saved a lot of time and it was a secure way of doing it too. We had a whole contact center that worked from home for a period of time and that's a 21 hour a day contact center that we moved, that was spread out across the greater Brisbane region and working on home internet connections. Surprisingly, we didn't have a lot of stability issues anyway on those connections, but Kerio didn't blink, so that was good.

What is most valuable?

We turned on two-factor authentication just after the shutdown when we knew we were going to get more users using it. That was the only feature that I've used recently that was different and it worked fine. You only have to authenticate once every 30 days, once you've fully authenticated. It was easy. Technically, it's not a full implementation. It's two-factor on every login, but it's certainly more secure than it was.

In terms of the comprehensiveness of the security features, I know that we haven't had any breaches before. We've had security issues before but it hasn't been with the data center implementation. We have a technology partner that we use to consult for configuration and Kerio was their number one recommendation at the time. We've never had an issue since implementing that. While it works, it's not an issue for me. Best to our knowledge, we haven't had any data breaches.

We do a lot of audits in terms of data security. I don't know if that's ever been an issue here because a lot of our production stuff is actually walled off from our corporate network so it's of lesser risk factor. We were regulatory. We're a licensed regulatory body as well. We monitor gaming machines throughout the state. A lot of our security and the production network is a lot higher than our corporate. Not that corporate's not high, but there are a lot more freedoms for the user under the corporate network umbrella anyway. But it does what it needs to do. We haven't had an issue with it. The most we've had to do when we've had an issue is upgrade the VPN Client's software.

Before using Kerio, with another software, we did experience security breaches. Not so much with a firewalling product. We've had issues with breaches of user breaches. So phishing attempts and so forth. Just the general user stuff, but not through the corporate firewall. And honestly, we didn't handle all of that previously. We only took that on board about six or seven years ago when we changed ownership. So a lot of our services are in the cloud these days as well. Office 365 and so forth.

In a roundabout way, its security features played a role in our decision to go with it. We rely on the advice of our consultant and the consultant recommended this configuration, this software, and this appliance. So, it was more about the appliance. It was more about the flexibility than what we needed to do in a data center environment as well, to be able to manage it remotely and securely. It's been very easy to manage.

The consultant was TechPath. TechPath is very good. I have full faith in TechPath. They're an MSP and we've just used them as a consultant when we initially set up our wide area networks and the security around it. They have good guys there. We don't have a lot of network engineers in what we do. That's their job. That's why we use another consultant.

Because it's all ID integrated, it's very easy for a user to get online step by step. And in terms of the actual configuration of the firewall itself, it's an intuitive interface if you know what you're doing, in terms of logging traffic, spanning, and the rest of it. The logging is fine.

Remote work has been increased by 100%. We would have had around 25 - 30 remote users. That's probably increased to 60 over the shutdown, including contact center staff. That'll scale back a little bit as people come back into the office, but overall, people don't stay connected during office hours, it's more of an as-needed basis. We still only have 10 to 15 concurrent users, but in terms of licensing, we have under five concurrent users at any one time before that. There was an increase, but it was not a resource-hungry increase. We said to make sure the licenses were sourced in advance.

What needs improvement?

If I would suggest anything, it would be to expand on its multifactor authentication to be a little bit more user-friendly. They should do multifactor authentications for the client itself perhaps, rather than served on a webpage, in a page hijack, that might be more user-friendly, but I don't have a lot of complaints about it. It's doing its job. You have to have a certain amount of skills to configure these things anyway, the ones that we use on-site doing point-to-point, and we've been tricked up a few times with their interfaces. That's been more of an experience thing as well, you have to have some networking experience to understand what you're trying to do when you set up these things, whereas it could be a little bit more user-friendly, wizard-based.

I've been using Kerio Control for six years. It was introduced to us by a previous sister company. We started some of the systems that we took over that were using Kerio Clients and so forth.

We use it primarily to get into our corporate network through a data center appliance. So our off-site workers use Kerio Control VPN to get into the corporate network. We have a private data center space that we use for our production network as well. It's the primary gateway into our corporate network from remote workers. It's a private cloud. We've got our own rackspace in one of the data centers in Brisbane. And then we've got connectivity that lands in the DC to allow satellite sites.

The stability has been very good. I can only think of one or two occasions where we've had an issue and a restart of the firewall seems to bring it up again. I don't think I've ever had a major issue with it at all.

The high availability and failover protection haven't been that critical for us. The stability of it has been so good that we haven't needed to look at it. Because of the use case, an outage doesn't affect us as much as if it was a production network. And TechPath would be on standby with other hardware if we needed or with assistance. So we never really looked at the high availability stuff.

In terms of scalability, we did not see any limitation for the amount of users that we increased to. We had to add some licensing once we evaluated how many end users are going to be in the end but that was very quick as well. I think that came through in a day or two. We just added in the licensing to it and there we went. It was very easy to do. If there was a huge increase in numbers, as in if the appliance itself might need to be increased, but it's actually a virtual appliance anyway so resourcing is not that big a deal. We can increase the resources pretty easily.

Whether or not we increase usage depends on users. I don't think we'll exceed what we've currently grown in the last six months, based on the fact that everyone's currently working remotely. We don't have real plans to expand at this stage but it's nice to know that we can.

I would consider my company to be an SMB. We have 110 staff. Our company is part of a larger group of companies called the Federal Group. Our business unit is 110 employees, and we're fairly self-sufficient in that respect, but the Federal Group of companies is 1,800 employees and we run a number of different businesses around the country, hospitality businesses, casinos, cape transport, trucking companies, that sort of thing. For our size, definitely, it's worked flawlessly for what we needed it to do.

A lot of the IT is within the Federal Group. We've only actually been part of them for just over a year now. They have their own technical services group and a lot of those guys are hardcore Cisco nuts. They're based in Tasmania, which is the other end of the country for us. It's hard to get anything done when we've got to chase someone on the other side of the country. They've desegregated the business unit, so we can manage our own internal business decisions on that infrastructure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did use Kerio in some form, I know that a lot of those guys are gold plated in what they do.

I haven't contacted their technical support. If there are any issues then I get a network engineer guy first and see if he can take care of it.

We have used SonicWall and I've also used Ubiquiti around the place a little bit, but nothing on a production level. We've played around with Ubiquiti internally. We used to implement SonicWall at our customers to do some deep-end firewalling on their gear but now we're mostly using Kerio devices at the moment in the field as well.

Our systems supplier became our sister company. We got bought and converged in a vertical integration, and then we got divested again. We checked the systems, and the staff from our sister company got taken away to our opposition company. SonicWall was something that we inherited and we weren't really familiar with its use. I was familiar with Kerio's configuration, so we moved to a Kerio device to do the same job.

For our main firewall, the setup was fairly complex at the time because we had multiple internal networks to deal with. We had test environments versus operational environments. We had a lot of rules we wanted to put in place for corporate, so it was complex. It wasn't confusing in terms of how to configure it, but it was fairly complex.

We started off focusing on corporate first. This was the least risk and then we moved our production phases over to that as we were confident in that we were secure and connected up correctly, so to speak, or the data center configuration was the way we needed it to be. Then we did a little post-testing in the configuration, not just with the firewall and stuff, but overall with penetration testing.

The deployment didn't take very long. TechPath took care of most of it. In terms of the site to site stuff, we do that fairly regularly. It might take an hour to configure devices, but it's not onerous. You've just got to make sure you get the settings right. The setup required a few engineers from their end, myself, and another employee.

We do maintenance once a month and it requires one person. It doesn't quite a lot of maintenance because we just give it a courtesy reboot more than anything like we do with a lot of our gear. We just make sure that the updates are up to date, from time to time.

I have definitely seen ROI since the shutdown. Given its stability and its function, it certainly hasn't slowed down our ability to produce in a diverse environment especially with the contact center. A lot of what they do is hybrid Software as a Service, telephony, and all the rest of it, so having corporate access was key to be able to do their jobs. We went from a very secure, regulated on-prem environment to a diverse working from home environment overnight, and Kerio was key to that.

I never had to go out there and try and find an alternate solution because Kerio just did the job. I don't know how long it would've taken or how much it would've cost, but it certainly would have been at best, a minimum of setting up a much more permanent type of secure connection from each user's premises. It would have been a lot harder to do.

I didn't even blink at the price but I can't even remember what it cost. It was pretty reasonable. The cost was very affordable. We just ended up licensing our own because we didn't know who was going to be working remotely at the end of the day. I think anyone that had a chance to work at home, they got the license. It wasn't a factor of having to do to a view and make sure that every user absolutely needed one. It is a very affordable solution.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing that I know of. We maintain the highway that it sits on and obviously the data center space and there might be transit and costs and that sort of thing associated with it, but not with Kerio itself.

We didn't really look into other solutions. We were using MikroTik routers to do some of the work, but not really. Rather than learn SonicWall, we just switched to Kerio, because we we're familiar with the interfacing.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I've learned from using Kerio is that you can quite easily and securely diversify your network security and access without compromising on cost and central control. Since this all comes down to is that it's all centrally controlled, I have confidence that the users were accessing our systems remotely and securely.

We have used the Kerio Control appliances to do point to point VPNs at the customer sites quite a few times now, and that's the one we recommend. Customers have been using Ubiquiti and have issues so we replaced them with Kerio appliances and they seem to work great. They're moderately priced, good value, and I haven't had to reboot one of those devices in the field yet. These things run point to point VPN for some pretty business-critical functions, such as wide-area gaming systems that transfer money between venues. I haven't had any issues.

I would rate Kerio Control a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Freddie Lewis
Solutions Architect at Clockwork Solutions
Geo-blocking enables us to know where our traffic needs to come from but the antivirus is a bit laggy

• "The top features are ones that we're not using yet but we soon will be because we've just had broadband upgraded in Australia. We've got something called the National Broadband Network, which is forced onto you, so you have to take it when it arrives. We'll be trying the high availability out soon. We tried that with some load balancing, it didn't quite work as we expected, but I think that was more of a configuration thing rather than a product thing."
  • "The antivirus seemed to be a bit laggy on the connection so I disconnected that. It's definitely good. The only issue we've had with any sort of cyber attack seemed to be coming from a couple of distinct locations, people trying to get into known ports on remote desktops and stuff like that. The fact that we can block all that traffic is just great. It simplifies it."

What is our primary use case?

It's the Edge firewall for my business. I'm a small business IT consultancy and I'm subcontracted out to a larger organization. It's really just me working from home, which is a bit more permanent now, but we do have a couple of other side projects I work on with a couple of other partners. One of them is a financial trading solution, so we want Kerio to beef up the edge security to make sure that the solution itself was secured nicely because it meant building out a rack of a couple of rack-mounted servers and beefing up the solution.

Being an SMB, we do find that Kerio fits our needs. It fits nicely in that space because any time that I've been to an enterprise it's pretty much dominated by Cisco products. A product like this probably wouldn't get much air time to get in the door of a really big organization, whereas a small to medium-size enterprise where they're big enough to have some sort of IT presence, it would probably fit in nicely. With an enterprise that's my size that doesn't have an IT presence, then they'll probably use some sort of managed service solution.

We wanted to beef up the firewall and not just run off some sort of IoT style firewall that's built into a modem. It didn't seem to be adequate for our needs. So that's where we went into Kerio because at the time, we had some remote desktop services running and we were getting a lot of attempted cyber attacks coming out of China and a few other places. Kerio was one of the few that could actually geo-block, which was really quite handy.

How has it helped my organization?

Its primary job is to protect us and give us a degree of comfort. We're putting a lot of effort into creating a financial trading system. We want some comfort that it's secure behind the quality firewall and that's really what beckoned its purchase. The fact that we've not had any issue indicates that it must be doing that job reasonably well, and the fact that we don't get any of those attempted attacks from the block in China, because of geo-blocking, is probably the strongest feature for us. I wouldn't say it improves what we do because it doesn't affect what we do. It's really just security.  It's a tool to improve our security profile for what we do.

We don't expose our remote desktop connected servers to the internet anymore. But when we did have that, because the security log is a really easy thing to set up, it would show you all the attempted, brute force attacks. That's now down to zero. We don't get any brute force attacks, but at the same time, we don't expose the Port 3389 out to the internet. We could achieve the same result with a domestic firewall in a domestic router. However, this gives us a degree of comfort that we can actually analyze any traffic that looks a bit suspicious, inbound, or outbound. That's a definite step change compared to what we'd have in an out-of-the-box type of router.

Security is there to slow things down and make things a bit tricky. That's its bottom line. If security is easy, it's probably being done wrong.

Certainly in the first few months of using it, it was quite time-consuming to get a configuration working that was reliable. Because I work from home, I originally had it protecting everything coming in and out of the home which didn't work well at all. It's protecting the home office and the server environment. Everything else just goes straight out of the domestic router out to the internet because we've got IPTV, with kids on devices. They don't need such a high level of protection. It would be nice to give them that because if you've got this perimeter that's protected by a really good quality product, you want to protect everything.  But when we tried that, it seemed to struggle with the high volume of traffic that was being generated by the IP cameras, the IPTV service, and the myriad of devices and iPads that we have in the house. So we stopped using it for that purpose.

What is most valuable?

The top features are ones that we're not using yet but we soon will be because we've just had broadband upgraded in Australia. We've got something called the National Broadband Network, which is forced onto you, so you have to take it when it arrives. We'll be trying the high availability out soon. We tried that with some load balancing, it didn't quite work as we expected, but I think that was more of a configuration thing rather than a product thing.

The geo-blocking is essential because the partners we deal with are typically either in the US or Australia. We know where our traffic needs to come from and we don't post anything publicly that the general world needs to see. It's just a few discreet services that need to be hosted on this financial trading stuff.

The integration of Active Directory is very good as well. We don't use the VPN service. We use VNC. We get mixed results from the QoS, but that's another good feature. Really, dashboarding, track, and monitoring are the most important features for us as well.

We are about to test the high availability and failover protection because one of the issues we have is the device or the Hyper-V host seems to need a regular rebooting, which isn't an issue directly in itself, but it would be nice if it could do that on its own. We can't find a feature to do that. That's the complaint I'd have of that and the HA might solve that problem for us. So we'll give that a go.

Out-of-the-box, the overall comprehensiveness of the security features is pretty good. It's not just a firewall, it's kind of a firewall proxy, reverse proxy, everything out-of-the-box sort of solution. It's pretty comprehensive. I can't imagine wanting anything else, because for me as a consultant, it's not just about protecting the environment. It's also about having something that's commercial-grade because when you go in as a consultant, you need to be exposed to these tools and you need a lab environment to test these tools out. This is as close to a good commercial tool that you could possibly ask for.

In terms of the availability issue, I've considered that there are hardware options as well, which is nice. We're not sure if that will be an improvement over using Hyper-V, but that's to be decided.

What needs improvement?

The antivirus seemed to be a bit laggy on the connection so I disconnected that. It's definitely good. The only issue we've had with any sort of cyber attack seemed to be coming from a couple of distinct locations, people trying to get into known ports on remote desktops and stuff like that. The fact that we can block all that traffic is just great. It simplifies it.

The last time we used the antivirus, it seemed to slow down some of the connections. I didn't dig too deep into it, we just turned it off and it seemed to rectify the problems. It's hard to say whether it was that directly but it seemed to be creating a bit of overhead on the connections.

The reliability is its biggest downfall. I don't expect to be rebooting a product like this every couple of days. In fact, it's become a start of day thing just to reboot so it doesn't let me down in the middle of a team's call or something like that. It's quite slow as well. I could be on a team call and it would drop the connection. Then we'll get a warning that we've got poor call quality and as soon as you restart the device all the problems go away. There's clearly maybe some sort of memory leak problem or something in there that's affecting its reliability.

We've just had our national broadband network connection today, which is a high throughput connection. We will be reconnecting the entire household through the device, to see how it copes and we'll see if it improves anything.

I have been using Kerio Control for two and a half years.

If I came across a client that was a small to medium enterprise, I'd probably recommend it, but a lot of them have a solution in place now anyway. It's hard to get those opportunities for new business in that regard, but I reckon it would probably scale quite well. I'm at 25 licenses, but that's only because we have so many devices in this house. It looks like it probably would scale. As I said, with that level of reliability, that probably would be an issue if you wanted to scale 100 to 200 licenses.

We did try the proxy feature, but once again, that failed miserably. It ran well for a few weeks and then it died on us, and it was really quite hard to diagnose what had gone wrong. We turned it off and went back to a previous configuration which was a bit disappointing. It comes back to that reliability, whatever it is that makes it conk out is clearly a problem.

I used support once or twice when I hit the first license ceiling. I did log a support ticket in. They were fine. There were no complaints from that. They offer 24/7 support, via email. I don't think I actually phoned them up. It's pretty good. There are no real issues there.

We tried a few different Windows-based products. That's how we found Kerio because it offered a Hyper-V solution and it also offered a hardware solution if you wanted. I'll try the software one first and see where we go. There were a couple of other products we used before. Originally, we used to use Microsoft, the ISA server back in the day because that got swallowed up by Fortinet and we didn't touch that.

There was another Windows product, WinGate. That has a really bad reliability problem. It would stay up but the connections were very slow going through that thing. Maybe it was poorly configured on my part, but it just seemed to be incredibly slow at managing the connections. We'd notice a very latent response from web pages and it never, even though it had a massive caching there for caching pages, it just seemed to never be as quick as bypassing the WinGate software. That wasn't virtualized. That was running on a native Windows server at the time so that was really quite poor in terms of performance.

Given that it's a Linux deployment, the support it offered, like giving you a Hyper-V client out-of-the-box, is fantastic. It's a really clever idea because you're not then left with a painful configuration of spinning up some sort of Linux host and then trying to do an installation. The fact that it comes pre-packaged with Hyper-V images was a very smart and clever move because that made it a lot easier to get it going if you like. Getting that up and running was quick, it was just a configuration, and finding the right configuration was the hardest part.

The deployment was less than half an hour. It was very quick to get it up and running and get it operational. It was just fine-tuning that configuration to suit my environment that took the time, which I would expect of any device, no device is going to come out-of-the-box and just work like magic unless you've got a really simple environment. Whereas I've got a home environment, where it's just me as a small business, but I've got that many servers and hosts running.

Our strategy was to take it out-of-the-box and get it working.

The setup was pretty easy. The external remote control was really good and simple. It gave extra manageability on the road which was good. It was pretty straightforward.

In terms of maintenance, it's just me. In terms of my time, it doesn't take much time at all. I'll hardly make any changes to it. Now it's running fine. The only next thing I'll be doing is trying out the HOA.

With security, I don't think you can calculate ROI. It's not easy to call a return on investment with security products because anything security that's done properly is going to be a cost overhead. That's by its very nature. If security is quick or cheap it's probably wrong. I don't look at it as a return on investment, I see it as security. A bit like saying if I bought a new car and they said, "I can save you $500 if you say no to the airbags." For 99.9% of the time, you'd be saving $500, until one day it costs you lots of money and maybe your life. I see it the same way.

It's not an optional extra, it is an overhead that you have to pay if you want to secure an important asset. You've got to weigh up how important that asset is against how well you want to secure it, and that's where you say, "Well, it's going to cost you the price of a Kerio license, the price of a VNC license, sort of remote management. And that's what it costs to manage and secure properly those services." I'd say we've achieved that. It's hard to really put a return on investment with security.

I think it is a bit on the pricey side, but it's okay. I've got 50 licenses which I think is $250 a year or something like that. It's not terrible. It's actually cheaper than what we pay for VNC. We probably could save money thereby utilizing the Kerio VPN and not VNC. For a firewall proxy solution, it's probably a bit on the higher side price-wise.

We have to provide our own Hyper-V host to spin it up or buy the Kerio hardware, but otherwise, there are no other costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'm experienced in networking, but I'm not a network engineer per se, I'm more software development. The fact that I was able to get it set up and going with minimal fuss was definitely a plus for the product. I've seen products before where you can get them running, you make the slightest configuration change, and the whole thing comes crashing down. It's quite a stable product in that respect and it does look after itself quite well. For example, risk proxying solution and buying a GoDaddy certificate to secure a couple of APIs was a piece of cake. It really didn't hurt us at all. I think the important lesson there is, if we had tried to do the same thing with a NETGEAR sort of a firewall with a built-in firewall product, I think we would have had a hard time. Kerio definitely has made it easier.

I'd say give it a look for sure. I'd totally recommend it.

I would rate Kerio Control a seven out of ten. If I didn't have to reboot it so often, then it would probably score a nine.

It's not a cheap product and it's not a particularly reliable product at the same time which tends not to be a good mix. Something like this should be able to cope with my entire household, every device I throw at it, and it should be able to cope with that fine. It clearly didn't two years ago. We'll try it again in about 24 hours and we have to hook up this high-speed connection to it and we'll see how well it performs there. Reliability is about the only qualm I have with the product.

Matt Gerken
VP Engineering & Admin at E3 Systems
Has saved time for the members of our team who manage security but it's not optimized or set up for satellite communication

• "The interface control manager where we can allocate LAN connections to certain VLANs is the most valuable feature. The other feature that's important for us is because obviously everything is remote with MyKerio, as long as the boat has an internet connection, we can log onto the Kerio and get statistics, as well as provide support."
  • "It has a VPN back to our data center but I don't think it has increased the number of VPN clients extended to those outside our environment"

What is our primary use case?

Our client base is private yachts and on private yachts, we have different LAN connections, as well as different VLANs. Kerio Control allows us to maximize and control the different LAN connections, both from a performance and a financial standpoint.

How has it helped my organization?

The single largest component was the introduction of MyKerio and the ability to be able to remotely connect the challenge that we have with MyKerio. By yacht, I'm referring to the 1% of the 1% of the people that are out there with $50 million to $60 million yachts. They have satellite systems on board so one of the challenges that we have with MyKerio is the sensitivity to latency. What that means is that if you're on a landline like a DSL or a cellular connection, your ping time may be 20 milliseconds, but with satellite, because of the distances involved, those ping times could be 700 to even 1,100 milliseconds. This is a challenge that we have because just about any application or hardware device that is out in the market is not really designed to take that into account.

In this particular case, if we have a boat that is traveling from South Florida down to the Caribbean and the entire boat is on satellite and we need to be able to log into MyKerio for the boat, it's not optimized or set up for satellite communication. It sometimes becomes problematic in trying to connect to the vessel. Where if the entire boat, like on 4G or landline, then it's no big deal because MyKerio is optimized for that.

That would be an area for improvement, but the benefit of it is that we can handle issues remotely. The other benefit is through a minimal amount of instruction to the boat, they can complete what I would refer to as basic tasks.

For example, if a boat is down in the Bahamas and the owner is on board, we typically have these in cellular and a landline connection and then on top of that, we'll have an owner, the crew, and guests. So in this particular case, we would want the owner on the fastest 4G connection. Then we would want to put the crew on the satellite connection, which may not be as fast. So it's just about optimizing the experience for the owner and being able to control the bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The interface control manager where we can allocate LAN connections to certain VLANs is the most valuable feature. The other feature that's important for us is because everything is remote with MyKerio, as long as the boat has an internet connection, we can log onto the Kerio and get statistics, as well as provide support.

It's important because unlike a company where a company has an IT person on-site because these are yachts, they have a boat crew that is not necessarily "IT," so they rely upon us to provide them with their IT services. This is a platform that allows us to control and troubleshoot as necessary.

I would say about 95% to 97% of all of our support is managed remotely because of the nature of superyachts, where they're located, and the importance of the people that own them.

I have not run into any issues or complaints with regard to the firewall and intrusion detection features. I find that in this industry, the fact that those are services that are included is important. But I can't speak to the operability of it.

Because I interface the most with the boats and the crews, I've never run into an issue with the comprehensiveness of the security features.

In terms of the ease of use, if you took 15 different network professionals and told them to configure a Kerio Control, you would get 15 different configurations. Having said that, within our specific business segment, we have learned the configuration that works best for us and works best for our customers. The way that we have set it up is to not put the onus on the boat to make any changes, but if they need to make any changes they allow us to go in there and make changes.

From my experience, I don't necessarily do the configuration on them, but I do manage them. If there's a boat that has a problem, I'm the first phone call. Most of the time I can figure it out, but what we provide as a service is that we refer to it as a virtual ETO which is an electronics and technology officer. That would be an actual IT person, but for the most part, we just encourage our customers to defer their technical queries to us and allow us to manage it for them.

It has saved time for the members of our team who manage security based on how they're using it. It has saved time in the sense that they have an integrated security solution. I think the maritime industry is moving towards a standardized security initiative because the problem is that everything within the maritime industry is based on international, not national standards. So where and how the Kerio Control will fit into that is undetermined because the IMO, International Maritime Organization, has not yet determined what those standards are going to be. It's still a work in process.

It has a VPN back to our data center but I don't think it has increased the number of VPN clients extended to those outside our environment

I have been using Kerio Control for four years.

It is deployed in our office, as well as at our customer sites. Our customer sites are private superyachts.

The only stability issue that we have is with regard to the latency and using MyKerio. A potential deficiency I've encountered has had to do with the actual physical ethernet ports on the device. They seem to be very susceptive to shock. We have had to replace a few units due to that. Especially if there are devices that are POE devices. Part of it has a POE that goes out to the antenna and then there's an ethernet connection that goes back to the Kerio. We've noticed that for whatever reason, that particular device or combination don't play well together.

The way it works now, we can take an NG300 with four ports, and then we can create ports on additional switches. So the only instance that we really use an NG500 is for two reasons. One of them is processing power, and then the other one is if they actually have the requirement for different or more connections than the Kerio has.

Three people in the company, more from a customer interface perspective, and about six people in the company from a technical support perspective use Kerio Control.

We have it deployed somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 to 75 remotes. We will increase usage if we can increase customers.

I would say that we're a medium-sized business. We're certainly an established entity within the superyacht communications industry. Besides our office here in Florida, we have offices in France as well, and we're headquartered in Majorca, the point being is that we cover all of the Mediterranean, the US, as well as The Bahamas and Caribbean. So it has not been unheard of based upon an issue to helicopter somebody out to a boat kind of thing.

I have not used the technical support. My experience initially with Kerio was dealing directly with Kerio and then at a certain point, they offloaded their distribution to a company called Lifeboat and GFI, and that has been a bit difficult. In my opinion, it's made things a bit harder.

If I need to get an answer to a question, I have to go through Lifeboat or GFI, and then ultimately they in turn have to get with Kerio. So it's created a middleman process. The case in point is that we have an order and the order just kind of kept going and there were no updates, there was no tracking, there was no nothing. I would go to Lifeboat and Lifeboat would say, "Well, we're trying to get a hold of Kerio and there was just a breakdown in communication."

Kerio Control is something that's being added to most of the network of the boats that we deal with. We deal with a lot of boats that look fantastic on the outside, but on the inside as far as the nuts and bolts go, they are not well maintained or they have really old equipment. That's one of the things that we always deal with. One of the things I always talk to captains about when I go on a boat is I ask them, "What are the chances that the owner's going to come on board with a 10-year-old computer and a 10-year-old phone?" And he answers, "Zip to zilch." So I say "Well, your network's 10 years old." It's going to work based on what you have in the technology of anywhere from even five years ago compared to today. It's not just a matter of throwing a Kerio in and saying, "Everything's going to be fine." Typically, it's a component of a network upgrade to include switches and access points.

The initial setup is straightforward for us now because we've done it for so long. The other side of it is that there haven't been a lot of changes per se. There have been tweaks. The consistency of the platform has pretty much stayed the same. So while they have optimized certain components of it, it's kind of like Microsoft Word. You could go back to a version of Microsoft Word 10 years ago and know exactly how to use it because everything's going to be in the same place. It's just an evolution of the platform.

It takes around an hour and a half to license and configure.

We have a uniform deployment process and then that's followed by adjustments based on the client's specific requirements. They may have more LAN connections than somebody else, or they may have less of a need for additional VLANs. It's on a case by case basis. But I would say 95% of everything that we do is standardized.

I'm not the one that actually implements it. Full disclosure, I order the device, I get the device, I license the device, I update the device and then at that point in time, I have one of the engineers come remotely into the unit and then they do the final configuration.

On the licensing side, the way Kerio works, and this is what we have to tell boats, is that if you think that you're going to save some money one year by not licensing it and then next year, you're going to license it, you're going to end up paying for that back year. You're better off just keeping it up to date.

Boats are really like life. People want to spend money on things that are sexy, and software licensing isn't sexy. So that's one of the things that we have to go back and let them know that it's going to work as far as the basic functions go, but the features are not going to work and their security will be vulnerable.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing.

Evaluating other solutions would be the responsibility of the CIO because everything that we do has to be agreed-upon on a standardized platform as we are the ones that are going to have to support it. We let any customers that we deal with that are possibly dealing with other brands know where our demarcation point of responsibility is because it's very much so once you touch it, you own it. If you go onto a boat and you touch one thing, you'll be getting a call for the next three weeks about it. It's an industry that you have to be very specific about what it is that you're doing and what it is that you're providing and supporting.

We have been made aware of boats that have had security breaches, but we were not engaged to support their network at that time. We may have just been only the satellite solution provider. It wasn't specifically Kerio Control, but the situation necessitated them to reevaluate their network and invest in their network rather than just have it as a passive source.

What other advice do I have?

We don't necessarily use failover protection. If you have a failover seamlessly set, the boat or the customer won't know that there's been a failure. We don't use the failover because we want the boat to understand if there's an issue with one of their LAN connections.

For example, if you have a cellular and a satellite connection, and you have both of them set to failover to one or the other, if the satellite connection fails over to the cellular connection, nobody on the boat is going to know that it's failed over. Without the failover, they can identify that there's a problem and then that can be addressed. But if it fails over, nobody is going to be aware that there was an issue and then there's nobody working on solving or trying to figure out what that issue is.

My advice would be to have a plan. Have a plan in place and make sure that you document everything that you do. Certainly, if you're talking about multiple deployments, you don't want to run into a situation, for instance, where you have three different IT people and each one of them is doing a different type of configuration. You want to have a policy in place for a standardized configuration. From a support perspective, as well as a usability perspective, make sure those are being addressed.

I would rate it about a seven out of ten. The only reason why I would give it that rating is because MyKerio can be a complicated tool if you don't know how to use it.

I was at the Monaco Yacht Show and I got a phone call from an engineer on a boat. They were very angry with the service speed of their satellite. We have customers that pay anywhere from $2,500 to $40,000 a month for satellite service. In this particular case, they actually had to send a tender in. They had to take me out to the yacht and I got out to the yacht and I figured out exactly what happened.

As I was getting off the yacht, they were explaining to me how one of the crew members had worked with Kerio in the past. When I got onto the boat, somebody had set a QoS monitor to limit the crew network for the satellite connection to only 5% of the allotted bandwidth, but it wasn't just the crew, it was the entire vessel. So the entire vessel was limited through Kerio to 5% of the speed of their satellite. That problem or that issue did not arise as a Kerio issue. They said, "This is a satellite issue. We're having a problem with our satellite." So that's an example of, if somebody doesn't know what they're doing, they can have a pretty detrimental effect on the network.

The thing about Kerio is that there's not going to be a dummies book for how to use a Kerio Control. It's really designed to be operated and certainly configured by somebody who is in the IT industry. From the perspective of users, if you're the administrator, you can log into this and you have full access to everything. Whereas if you're "just the user," we're going to hide all of this other stuff from you and the only thing that you're going to be able to do is say that the owner network can use the satellite connection and the crew network can use the connection.

I would like to see a very limited or dumbed down version for the average user. You could literally just do a couple of checkboxes and throttle everything on the entire network and nobody would necessarily be the wiser.

GR
ICT Consultant at D-R Consulting Pty Ltd
Users on the network are confident that they are in a safe and secure network. You can't assign WiFi channels to the VLAN on the low-end device.

• "One very good thing about the Kerio device is its authentication. I don't have a Windows domain for authentication. Instead, I use the Kerio product because it can separate users by Mac addresses and give them IP addresses based on their usernames, automatically logging them in. This makes for a very simple authentication system."
  • "One area that confused me a bit when I was building my current network. I use VLANs to have separate functionality on the network, and the appliance I got was the WiFi model, but I discovered that you can't assign WiFi channels to the VLAN. So, you can have WiFi, but its own subnet. You can't run that over the VLAN. Effectively, I can't use the WiFi facility in the appliance and had to purchase a separate web that supports VLANs. In the end, I had to go to GFI support. They confirmed this is just a limited functionality of that device, as it is a low-end device. I don't know if any of their high-end models have a better facility or not."

What is our primary use case?

For a small office, I'm using it for a firewall. This is the most obvious primary use, along with:

• The Web Filter subscription for content that gives a bit of protection to users on the network when going to sites with known malware and so on.
  • The Antivirus module, which is good at scanning anything coming through, giving us a first line of defense.
  • Some other features in there, like VLAN. I have quite a few VLANs setup for keeping things separate for a build network and so on.

I have the hardware appliance on-premise. However, I do use some of the features, like MyKerio cloud, for remote administration and backups. These are hosted on the Kerio site.

How has it helped my organization?

Knowing users on the network are confident that they are in a safe and secure network and can't really hurt themselves.

What is most valuable?

It's a combination of authentication, internal network DNS, filtering, and antivirus. It is a standalone product which has a lot of the features that a Windows domain might have. However, I don't need to have a whole lot of Windows or Mac infrastructure, as I can do all my network management from Kerio.

One very good thing about the Kerio device is its authentication. I don't have a Windows domain for authentication. Instead, I use the Kerio product because it can separate users by Mac addresses and give them IP addresses based on their usernames, automatically logging them in. This makes for a very simple authentication system.

The solution’s firewall and intrusion detection features are pretty good. I have, at different times, connected directly to the Internet in bridge modes with the modem, and the noise in the logs is phenomenal. So, it does a good job. I can see that the intrusion prevention catches everything that is coming at it. I tend to not use it in that mode. I have it connect to a port on my modem router, so I let the modem router take all the initial intrusion noise, then not much gets through to Kerio. That just gives me a lot of confidence that I have a secure network.

For the content filter, I am pretty much running their default. I haven't added any rules to that myself. The default does a pretty good job at picking up things. I might have whitelisted one or two things that I use which it tends to pick up, but I know they are okay.

Kerio Control gives us everything we need in one product.

The feature that I'm relying on: If the appliance died and I had to get another one, Kerio has a configuration backup. Therefore, it's pretty easy to restore to a new appliance.

What needs improvement?

There are some pros and cons to its performance when dealing with malware and antivirus features. Maybe once a month, I have gone to a website and it's being blocked. This is because it's a known malware site. So, I feel confident that those filters are doing their job. On the down side, occasionally when iOS devices go to the App Store to do their application updates, it will pick that up as a possible virus in a file: a false positive. This only happens on the iOS updates and the antivirus signatures.

One area that confused me a bit when I was building my current network. I use VLANs to have separate functionality on the network, and the appliance I got was the WiFi model, but I discovered that you can't assign WiFi channels to the VLAN. So, you can have WiFi, but its own subnet. You can't run that over the VLAN. Effectively, I can't use the WiFi facility in the appliance and had to purchase a separate web that supports VLANs. In the end, I had to go to GFI support. They confirmed this is just a limited functionality of that device, as it is a low-end device. I don't know if any of their high-end models have a better facility or not.

I first used this solution when it was a piece of software called WinRoute. That would have been around the year 2000. I've been using the product in its various forms for quite a long time.

The stability is pretty good. It ticks along nicely. I occasionally have to reboot it. It starts throwing strange errors on different clients. There was a period where Kerio was releasing software updates at least once a month, which would force the reboot, but I think kept it pretty tidy. Over the last year, their updates haven't been very regular. When it gets to running for about 60 days or so, it does get a little funny and the reboot sorts it out. I don't know what's going on there and why their updates have slowed down.

A good thing with the Antivirus module is there are probably six or seven dozen updates every 24 hours to the antivirus signatures. Therefore, they do a pretty good job of keeping at the head of the game.

It is a very low-end device. I am using their base model appliance, so it's a very small piece of hardware with fairly low-end specs. Given the broadband connectivity that we have in Australia, which is pretty poor to start with, that's not really an impediment to me. Moving data around across the land and subnets seems to work fine.

I have about three users most of the time and each of those users can have three devices. Then I have various servers and audio visual equipment. I'm probably up to about 20 or so IPs that could be used, but not everyone and everything is running at the same time. It seems to cope with the traffic I'm hitting it with.

Our users are mainly doing email, web browsing, a little bit of streaming, and a little bit of Zoom. There is not anything terribly intensive.

I probably utilize 70 percent of the features. I don't do things like VPN. I don't do anything with quotas, forcing people to log in, or bandwidth management. However, these are good features that would help some people.

I am not looking to increase usage at this stage. I know that if I did, it has those extra features that I could use. If I started pushing the performance, then I would need to upgrade to get some bigger hardware. I probably can't increase my usage too much at the moment because the hardware would max out.

To get one little unit and configure your whole network is good. It's also good too for a bigger business where you have a network and a small office somewhere. You could drop one of these in that office to run everything, as it's set and forget. You also have the remote administration of the appliance, which would be quite handy to a lot of businesses.

I found the technical support pretty good. They are very responsive and come back with an answer on things pretty quickly.

I have been using Kerio Control for quite a long time. I didn't use anything else previously.

It has a wizard to sort of get it up and running very quickly. I think I did start with that, then went into the manual configuration for setting up VLANs and DHCP scopes. They were fairly straightforward to set up.

It's a product that you can get up and running pretty quickly. Then, if you want to get into advanced configuration, that's what takes a bit more time.

Out-of-the-box, I had something running in an hour or two, but that's probably because I've been using the product for quite a few years. I know what to look for. But as for the advanced configuration, that's days of work. It's ongoing with the administration and tuning the network. I spend maybe a couple of hours a month just making sure everything is configured and working correctly. The logs are pretty good too. It's good to keep an eye on the logs as it gives you an indication if anything's wrong or if things are going haywire.

You need to have a pretty good idea of how you want to structure unit work and what you want your network to do, especially when you want to set up things like authentication. You need to preplan your subnets and IP address ranges for different users so you can then map them to the user accounts. If you're going to a new organization and setting this up, then there is a bit of work in planning all that and what you want the device to do.

For deployment and maintenance, it takes me few hours here and there.

I have definitely seen ROI. It has saved in client software acquisitions, such as, antivirus or any dedicated security software. In my configuration, I haven't needed any Windows infrastructure because this device does all the network management for me. So, it has saved me from buying software and some amount of hardware. It gives three or four people antivirus, which is probably about $500 AUS a year just in client security software that I've saved. Plus, there are servers I haven't had to buy, which gets pretty expensive, especially with Windows licenses.

Kerio Control saves us time when it comes to managing security. Otherwise, I would have to invest in software running on clients, which get frustrating.

It gets expensive pretty quickly if you need to purchase license packs. In the previous model, I was buying packs of five. It was concurrent: If you had 10 address licenses, then you can have as many devices as you want, but if you hit 10 devices, you hit your license limit. People will get frustrated. They do appear to be expensive, but I don't have anything to really compare that against. I've not done any market evaluation for quite some time, because my model has unlimited addresses, so I haven't had to think about that.

The comprehensiveness of the security features this solution provides is the reason why I have stuck with them for so long. It has all the features that I need, and I haven't had to go and buy separate products. However, there are competing products that have a lot of these features in them. I did toy with the SonicWall product for a little while. SonicWall, who is a subsidiary of Dell EMC, offered an appliance, but it didn't do the internal network DNS nor was it good at authentication. I think the Kerio products are more rounded for running a small network out of a single appliance and not needing other infrastructure. SonicWall was frustrating because it didn't have a lot of the features that Kerio had.

SonicWall was my first foray into appliances. Up until that point I had been using the Kerio Control software edition. I liked the idea of appliances. If you're running something on a PC, you need to have a PC running, along with fans and hard drives spinning. Your appliances, even though they're lower spec hardware, are small and quiet. At the time, SonicWall was a fair bit cheaper, but that was how I discovered it was a false economy. It just didn't have the pool of features in it that Kerio had, so I would have needed to have a number of work arounds.

Looking at Cisco's documentation, they look a bit more complex to set up than Kerio Control.

What other advice do I have?

The overall ease of use depends on your skill set. I have a networking background, so I find it okay. As you get into more advanced features, it's probably a bit technical, but I managed to find my way around it through the documentation to get things working. It has some good features in there, like you can create a firewall rule and the console lets you test that rule, which is helpful when you're trying to build a firewall rule.

One of the features that I haven't used yet is Kerio Control's high-availability/failover protection. However, it is something I would be interested in setting up in the future. We have started using it yet because we are small scale with a very small number of users.

Provides the simplicity of having a small appliance that you can rely on to configure. If someone wants a network that can be structured to keep things segregated and safe from each other, then it's a cost-effective device, which is easy enough to set up and configure.

I haven't had any security issues. However, back then, I would have been relying on an antivirus, running on clients, hoping that it would catch things.

I would rate it as a seven out of 10, but then I don't have a lot of experience with other products to compare it against. Though, from what I see and read, it's as good as anything out there. Everything is good. However, I'm a little bit concerned that I'm not getting a lot of updates. Probably if I needed more performance, it would get expensive fairly quickly.

BC
CEO at a computer software company with 1-10 employees

• "The most valuable feature is the reliability of VPN capabilities. The VPN has been very reliable and secure. The security has been very good and the VPN connections are reliable in that they stay up. We don't have a lot of problems with downtime and that type of thing."
  • "One of the problems we do have causes problems with the VPN. The software slows the throughput down too much. You could have a one-gigabit connection from the internet, and it slows it down to the area of upload and download is extremely slow. There's too much content filtering at that point."

What is our primary use case?

We have our server in our head office, so we have offices that log into it from various other cities and run their accounting software on it.

How has it helped my organization?

We have several offices in different provinces across Canada and because of that, the connection has been very secure and reliable. We haven't had any downtime with it other than when we had the NG100 fail. Other than that, it's made the connection to our websites, our office, and our eCommerce sites all very reliable. That's been very important.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reliability of VPN capabilities. The VPN has been very reliable and secure. The security has been very good and the VPN connections are reliable in that they stay up. We don't have a lot of problems with downtime and that type of thing.

The comprehensiveness of the security features is extremely good.

Kerio offers everything I need in one product.

The firewall and intrusion detection features are good. We've had some intrusion attempts that were stopped. The firewall has been doing extremely well for attempted hacks, as well as working well with the intrusion protection.

The VPN features are good They have a solid VPN client, which we found to be extremely good and reliable on various operating systems. Other than that, the VPN has been good.

Kerio is extremely easy to use. They're easy to install and pre-configure. If you have to do any maintenance it's well handled through the system. Remote connection, logging in, and doing changes on the system is extremely well handled.

We do use the failover in our head office. The failover is working extremely well. The last test on that was May of 2000 and 2020. The failover seems to be working well and the security has been good, so they've felt very confident in having it up and working as it's supposed to be. It's configured as per the instructions and it's working really well.

Kerio has enabled us to double the number of VPN clients extended to those outside of our environment. It started a little bit before the pandemic but just because some of the companies started to work more from home to cut down on costs. But since COVID that's where it shows it's doubled.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems we do have causes problems with the VPN. The software slows the throughput down too much. You could have a one-gigabit connection from the internet, and it slows it down to where the area of upload and download is extremely slow. There's too much content filtering at that point.

Quality control is another problem that needs to be handled better, particularly in the NG100 series. We have had to replace a couple of those. Other than that, the throttling down of the speed is too much. It is too heavy.

Other than that, I think they're good.

We first started with Kerio back in 2003.

We have an NG300, NG100, NG300W, and we still have a couple of 1120s.

Other than the quality of the NG100, stability has been extremely good.

The scalability has been extremely well handled. We can very quickly figure out what size of a machine a customer needs and put it into position.

We have four people that do them, but usually, when we're shipping out, one person sets it up and then they deploy it remotely and have the customer follow their instructions remotely.

We don't have plans to increase usage because of the problems we have encountered with the company and the follow-up. We would have. We had quite a few of them, I don't know an exact count anymore because it's changed over but even now we've still got about 32 of them in use right now. But we've switched over probably triple that away from it.

GFI's technical support is improving but at the very beginning, it was very bad. There was no way to contact them. When you did call, you didn't get returned messages. It is improving, but it's still not at a level where we're happy with it.

We previously used SonicWall. We were looking for something that was really rock solid. We had a very bad experience with SonicWall and their support was very bad. We had a client that was down and they couldn't and didn't help us. We had to find something else in a hurry.

One of our technicians had been reading up on Kerio so we brought one of their machines in and configured it. That's one of the first ones he did and he said that the setup was really good. He installed it and got the client back up and running, and then we started looking into it and found it was much better. Strangely enough, shortly after that, the sales rep we were dealing with at SonicWall left and he went to Kerio also.

Something that really bothers us about GFI, is that as a partner or a reseller, they believe that the customers belong to them. As a reseller, we take a lot of time building trust and confidence with our clients. We've been in business 30 odd years, and we still have clients with us that we took on back 30, 32, 37 years ago. They're still our clients, they deal with us, and they trust us. SonicWall did it and now GFI does it. They insist on all of the contact information for our customers if we sell them a machine. Then they start direct emailing them and our clients start saying, "I hired you to take care of this, why are these people sending me all this junk?"

Plus, we're in Canada and they send out this information and emails and it has U.S. pricing on it. They make a big deal about that it's only $100 or something, and then by the time we convert it to Canadian, we're looking at $135 and the clients forget that very quickly. It's very misleading to clients. Our customers don't like it. That's one of the other reasons that we're moving everybody from Kerio, because of what GFI's policy is of insisting on having all of our customer's names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, and everything else.

The initial setup is pretty good. The guys are used to it now. They've done a fair number of machines and they're very used to it.

It has become familiar and they're consistent from one model to another. The instructions are straightforward and a good tech should have no problem with it at all. The thing is that they're not a home machine, they're for business. If it has a tech working on it is no problem at all. It's quite simple.

An average deployment takes two and a half hours.

Network engineers set it up. Even one of our web developers has set up some of them. They have been very happy with training other people to do them. They don't have any problems. It's quite simple. The engineer was the first one to start working with Kerio back when we took them on, and he found that even in the beginning, from learning on his own, it only took him about four to eight machines to feel confident that he could do it without having to follow the instructions every time.

The size of the companies we work with vary. We call them medium-size, but some of them are only one location with 5 to 20 employees. We host a lot of our e-commerce systems and clients have those on their machines so that when the e-commerce inquiries come in, they go through that router. They become a medium-sized business very quickly because of the amount of business they're doing.

Kerio is a good solution for companies of this size. It comes down to the same thing, reliable, cost-effective, the VPN connections are good for the security between the e-commerce sites. Our eCommerce site is dynamic, so it's connected between the customers' inventory, warehousing, shipping, and billing system, directly to the e-commerce site. It makes it a lot tighter and more security is required because they are connecting directly to the customers' business machines, as well as just e-commerce hosted sites. Reliability and security are very highly needed because it does run their e-commerce sites.

We see ROI through the ease of setup. We have a flat fee for configuring one, we charge for one before we ship it out for installation or go and install it. A customer pays the retail price, converted to Canadian at the current exchange rate, and that's what we charge the customer for the machine based on Kerio's MSRP. Then we charge them a flat rate for configuring it, which is two hours and we charge them for two hours labor. Then we charge them for whatever time it takes to do it remotely on-site, or if we're going on-site and having to install it, we charge for that time. If you charge for your time and the value, then you're going to make a good return on it.

But if you go in undercutting prices, something has to suffer. We have never had a customer say to us that they're upset because we haven't taken care of them if they have a problem with one of the Kerio devices. There have been issues, they're machines, they're going to break down. But we've never had a customer say that it wasn't taken care of properly by us. When we had SonicWall that was a problem, we took care of the customer, we couldn't get the machine that he should have had properly under warranty, so we just went and got him a different machine, put it in and got him up and going.

That's where we have to charge for it. We did charge the customer for that, but he felt that we provided the service he needed. It just gave him a very bad taste in his mouth because he couldn't get it under warranty. Undercutting prices, either in your services or your pricing of the hardware is what's happening now on the internet, we see that people are buying Kerio cheaper. We say to them "If you insist on buying it and want us to install it, we're going to charge you to install it, and if there's a problem with DOA or anything like that, dead on arrival, that's up to you." We hand it back to them and say this machine's got a problem, you have to get it fixed.

The pricing is good. Our businesses have been around a long time and we've done that by not being the cheapest, but trying to be the best or one of the best. There's a lot of very good software and hardware companies out there, but a lot of them try to just undercut pricing and try to get the deal. We do not do that. We have a feeling we know what the value of our product is, if it's our own product. In a case where we have a router system, we know the value of it, we know what the value of the software licensing is for renewal and for the initial startup. We look at those things at the beginning, and we felt that Kerio was well in line. The price seems to be going up now, it hasn't gone up as bad as some of its competitors yet, but we'll keep an eye on that. Right now the pricing is valid for the product and the service they get.

We did look at and we're also an authorized Cisco reseller, but they're doing the same thing as SonicWall now. These big companies forget who puts all the work in. What they're trying to do, in my opinion, is get the little reseller to go out and hire the right people and go out and move their product, get them installed, and then they want to start going to them directly. I understand that smaller companies come and go but we've been here 37 years in total. They shouldn't go to our customers and start trying to direct sell to them and that type of thing.

We were also a Dell reseller and we quit because we had to register every sale with them, and then they were going direct to the customers. It's not fair to the company that's gone out and done all the work.

What other advice do I have?

The machine is a good value for the price and the software is extremely good value for the price. It's proven out to be good, but we're just disappointed in the company that now owns it and took over from it. They're improving, but it took too long to improve and it cost us a lot of money in that way. But I can't blame it on Kerio, I have to blame it on GFS.

I would rate Kerio Control a nine out of ten.

Download our free Kerio Control Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.