Kerio Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kerio Control is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to pfSense: Kerio Control vs pfSense

What is Kerio Control?

Kerio Control brings together next-generation firewall capabilities -- including a network firewall and router, intrusion detection and prevention (IPS), gateway anti-virus, VPN, and web content and application filtering. These comprehensive capabilities and unmatched deployment flexibility make Kerio Control the ideal choice for small and mid-sized businesses.

Kerio Control Buyer's Guide

Download the Kerio Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Kerio Control Customers

Triton Technical, McDonald's

Kerio Control Video

Archived Kerio Control Reviews (more than two years old)

TO
Chief Information Officer at NETmodel Tech Ltd
The web filter works well, but needs NGFW user-level protection

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses for this solution are to control internet use, filter sites, and manage bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

It prevents people from visiting undesirable sites and ensures that they use the internet for their designated jobs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the web filter.

What needs improvement?

Improvements are needed to the Next Generation Firewall Protection, specifically with user-level protection.

Since 2017.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the web filter.

Since 2017.
Owenmpk
IT Support Professional at Valley IT Support, Inc
Leaderboard
Software appliance allows for quick recovery from hardware failure

• "What I like the most about Kerio is that I can use the software appliance as a solution, so if the hardware fails for any reason then I can quickly replace it with hardware that I have in stock."
  • "Their support is getting better but still needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is a UTM (Unified Threat Management) router.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives me confidence in the ability to quickly recover from hardware failures.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about Kerio is that I can use the software appliance as a solution, so if the hardware fails for any reason then I can quickly replace it with hardware that I have in stock. Typically, I use a Dell OptiPlex i5 desktop or small form factor.

What needs improvement?

Their support is getting better but still needs improvement. I had been using Kerio products for quite a few years before GFI purchased them.  What liked about the support was that the people you contacted were actually using the product in their homes, they played with the product and broke it and fixed so understood it well. GFI support folks at the first level are script readers and point you to documents you can find on the support website. For me, I have gone down that path already when I opened a ticket.

I see they have phone support now, but I have not used it.

I cannot think of any features that are needed at this time.

More than five years.

This solution works. The only issues are hardware failures.

With respect to the scalability, I have it running in five-person offices and in fifty-person offices.

The technical support was very good originally but fell short when GFI took over. It is now getting better.

I switched from SonicWall because, at the time, they did not accurately report the throughput of the router when all of the UTM features were enabled. Also, setting up the traffic rules was not as easy as Kerio Control.

The initial setup for this solution is very easy.

The implementation and deployment is something that I do myself.

I do not worry about the ROI. I just need something that works and protects.

My advice is to use your own hardware and do not use theirs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I use the product and i am partner.
Learn what your peers think about Kerio Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ray Kingdon
Technical Director at EVAK Technologies Limited
Provides a Pre-Filter to Scan Email Messages Before They Get to the Email Servers

• "All of the features of Kerio Control are equally good. Most valuable to us are the firewall rules, the intrusion detection system, and IP address features."
  • "Kerio Control has just improved on their biggest problem, which was to introduce better support for high-availability requirements in production."

What is our primary use case?

We resell Kerio Control to other businesses. We use the virtual appliance model. The device is used for direct management.

How has it helped my organization?

Kerio Control protects our email servers. The product provides a pre-filter to scan the email messages before they get to the email servers.

What is most valuable?

All of the features of Kerio Control are equally good. The most valuable to us are the firewall rules, the intrusion detection system, and IP address features.

More than five years.

Kerio Control is very stable.

The scalability of Kerio Control is limited, but they also market it as such. It's not an enterprise-class product, but they don't claim that it is.

Kerio Control is for small enterprise businesses with various clients. It can support an organization of up to 300 general users, remote developers, and trained workers.

For deployment and maintenance, Kerio Control requires just one person. I tend to increase my usage of the product as time goes by, as well as the number of support clients.

I have never had to use Kerio's customer support services.

I did use other solutions previously. I switched because they suddenly made the Kerio Control license end-of-life.

The setup of Kerio Control is very straightforward. The initial implementation is about three hours, with various points of review. We are a managed service provider, so there are ongoing reviews and adjustments for the clients.

ROI is difficult when you've got a "not for resale" version of Kerio Control. It's a total cost of ownership and further investment. The product is brilliant. I don't know how much value you can add on to it, but the cost point of the Kerio is much lower than the bigger vendors.

The version of Kerio Control that I use is a "not for resale" unit. I get the product for free. There is an additional cost for the annual software licensing which depends on which model you have and the number of users.

The Kerio Control license has a varying cost, but generally, it's around £300 a year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Kerio Control a ten out of ten points overall.

RobertWright
Computer Technician at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Provides users with the ability to log in to the portal page, keep track of their data usage and perform bandwidth management

• "The most valuable feature is to provide users with the ability to log in to the portal page, keep track of their data usage and perform bandwidth management."
  • "I would like to be able to inspect https packets for the purpose of virus scanning."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to provide our customers with a reliable and secure internet service for which they can perform bandwidth management and other operations.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a service that we set up for the yacht owners. They all want to carry the control over the yacht.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is to provide users with the ability to log in to the portal page, keep track of their data usage and perform bandwidth management. It allows the captain to keep a log of everything that is happening and see who is using what bandwidth.

If somebody is using too much bandwidth then they have the option to throttle them back.

What needs improvement?

As of late, it seems that they can't release a version that doesn't have some type of bug. It crashes when it runs out of memory, and fixing this would be great.

I would like to be able to inspect https packets for the purpose of virus scanning.

More than five years.

This solution has been pretty stable overall. That said, there is room for improvement.

For some clients, some of the options cause problems. Filtering, for example, is something that one client does not need at all. Turning this off seems to straighten things out.

I have been awoken at 3 am by emails telling me that things are down, and that has happened within the past couple of updates, but not as much. I keep my eyes on the Kerio forums and watch for other people who say that it is time to upgrade again.

My impression is that it is pretty scalable and it can handle a lot of stuff.

I don't use it to the point where I'm linking multiple sites together, so I can't comment on that aspect.

We have the solution installed on approximately twenty boats now, and we're continuing to install them.

The technical support used to be great. However, it's gone way downhill. I used to speak directly to the person writing the code, and he would walk you through when you need help. Now, I can barely get a hold of him.

Thankfully, now that I know the software inside and out, I don't really need them.

I have used a couple of other solutions.

For me, they are straightforward. However, the reason we chose this solution is because it has to be something that the captain can understand. It has to be a straightforward user interface.

If it were a situation where a client were going to be managing every aspect of it and the captain is not going to be involved, I would probably choose pfSense or something else.

This initial setup is straightforward. It is a no brainer, and anybody can get in there and just do it. They deployment takes maybe half an hour, if that.

It all depends on what they are requesting. It's not just "one size fits all". Some boats have a LAN they need set up, while some boats don't. We set up the unit sources and assign different ports.

These days they have a dedicated internet port, and they've got four or five land ports. We'll take one or two of the land ports and assign them to the Internet port, so that way they'll have a ship-to-shore connection, as well as a VSAT (Very small aperture terminal) connection. We'll also have another device with a cell router coming into the third connection, so that way they can switch between the three Internet connections when they need to.

For example, if they are out at sea they're going to use the VSAT, but if they are in the port then they will either use the ship-to-shore Wi-Fi, or the cellular connection, to save money.

We have eight technicians on site, but it only takes one person to handle the deployment. The maintenance is quick; we can log in remotely and update it if we need to. I prefer to be on site for this in case something goes wrong, but nine times out of ten everything is just fine.

We do the implementation ourselves.

There is a yearly upkeep fee.

We have evaluated WatchGuard and pfSense as well. We basically need something that is easy for the client because they want to have control over everything, and that's what Kerio is going to give them.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is big in our industry because the captains have to have control over everything. If the captain wants to log in and see what his users, his crew members are doing, then Kerio provides that.

I suggest watching the Kerio forums for what the community is saying in terms of upgrades and support.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

MarcoVivaldelli
IT Director CEO at MARVIV SRLS
User-friendly, flexible, can be used on different kinds of infrastructure, and you don't need a high level of skill to use it

• "The flexibility of the system, the capacity to provide the right level of security, and the ability to be integrated into different kinds of infrastructures are the most valuable features."
  • "The improvement that we are looking for is for when decide to move some part of our application to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the security of the entire network. There are more than 10 companies that are distributors in the territory and for this region, we have to manage and to guarantee that all the companies can interchange data between them, but also with the outside in a safe way. Kerio is the right solution to achieve our objectives because each client and each server that is distributed in the different companies can be maintained and can be controlled in the correct way.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The improvement that we are looking for is for when decide to move some part of our application to the cloud. This is one of the projects that we have in progress. Mainly to distribute some services on the cloud and to make that a possibility not only for our company, but also for the customer to have access to this application. To guarantee a correct level of security, not only for our application but also for all customers that access our system. This is one item that we are now considering.

More than five years.

Stability is good. We are satisfied with the performance of the system.

We have more than 300 users that are distributed in more than 10 different units. There is one production unit that is around 170 people, and the other 130 are distributed in the other nine companies.

Some of the users are administrators, the other users are in the technical department, R&D, sales, and the production department.

Their technical support is very good. We haven't had any problems with them.

We have used Sophos in the past.

The initial setup was complex. The system itself isn't complex in terms of actually using it. It is user-friendly. It is complex in terms of the capacity to control the situation.

We didn't spend a lot of time on the deployment. In the beginning, we did need to dedicate some time to implement the infrastructure internally. In terms of the operations and maintenance, we don't spend a lot of time on it.

It requires two people for maintenance.

At the beginning, we did need a consultant to set up the system but now we have our own resources in our company who manage the system.

The pricing is in-line with our expectations in terms of the quality that we get for it.

What other advice do I have?

Kerio is user-friendly, it's flexible, and can be used on different kinds of infrastructure. You don't need a high level of skill to use it. It monitors, identifies potential problems and it takes actions on a problem. The system is quite easy to use, and we don't have any kinds of problems with it, compared to other solutions that are not easy to understand and are complex.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Right now, we are really satisfied with the product. Of course, we are open to seeing other improvements, but from our side, we don't need any other improvements because what we have right now complies with our needs.

DH
General Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

• "The statistic feature enables us to better use bandwidth management. We monitored the use by mobile, type of application, department, and by users. The bandwidth was solid. Our internet speed is optimized for our research."
  • "I would like for them to add more security features."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as the primary UTM for the whole company.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The statistics feature is the most valuable feature. The active host feature, "Live," enables you to monitor every host and every connection. The statistics show you a full brief of every user, every type of connection used, and the total bandwidth used. It is a very powerful feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like for them to add more security features.

It's very stable, and updates are frequent.

In terms of scalability, it's actually more for a small to medium-sized business. It's not very scalable.

We currently have over 50 users. The users are in different departments. It's a whole network; we have the admin department, accounting department, finance, technical department, and support department. Everyone is using it. It's the main UTM of the network.

It's the main UTM of the network so it's the internet firewall. We use it every day, every minute.

We've never had to use their technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's the most user-friendly UTM out there. The deployment was very fast, less than half a day.

We did the implementation ourselves. It required just one person.

We see ROI on the internet bandwidth optimization levels.

It's very affordable.

Every year we evaluate other options like Sophos and Kaspersky.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to somebody researching this solution is to check all the features. Some of the most important features of this program don't exist anywhere else. Especially the statistics.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

BM
Technical Coordinator / Pointe-Noire Branch, BUROTOP IRIS SA at BUROTOP IRIS SA
Improved my organization's security, good technical support, and inexpensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security purposes, web filtering, and firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

Kerio has improved my organization's security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the security.

What needs improvement?

They should add wireless features.

Three to five years.

It's very stable.

Scalability is okay.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took one week.

I implemented it myself.…

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security purposes, web filtering, and firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

Kerio has improved my organization's security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the security.

What needs improvement?

They should add wireless features.

Three to five years.

It's very stable.

Scalability is okay.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took one week.

I implemented it myself.

The price is inexpensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell someone considering this solution to go for it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

TB
Owner at LOTUSCONCEPT
Enables the ability to remotely control systems to be installed in multiple areas

• "Technical support is good. They respond right away."
  • "I would like to see them develop a bit more flexibility creating VLANs."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for general network security and VLANs. It's in use 24/7, all the time.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved my organization because we can access remotely. With Kerio Control, we can remotely control systems to be installed in multiple areas. The remote connection is valuable for us.

What is most valuable?

The firewall feature is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them develop a bit more flexibility creating VLANs.

It's a real good product. This version has many features for creating VLANs and also for traffic rules, firewall rules, etc.

Scalability is more than enough. There are over 50 users. Ten of them are management on the business side and about 20 or 30 are part of the crews.

Technical support is good. They respond right away.

The initial setup is a bit complex, but it was fine for our IT department. Deployment took around one month and it only required one person. One person works on it, and it takes him about two or three weeks. Maintenance requires two people.

We did use an integrator. We have an IT manager.

Pricing is good, but the licensing took a lot of time. It was with a company in Europe and we got it with 50 users and wanted to upgrade to unlimited users. They first make it 250 users, then one or two weeks later unlimited. It took two weeks to get an unlimited license. It was strange but if you purchase with unlimited then it's no problem. You get it right away. The upgrade took a lot of time.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to someone considering it.

RA
User at GVC
User
The remote connectivity feature for users needs improvement. It has helped our organization with testing.

What is our primary use case?

I use Kerio Control for user statistics, intrusion detection and prevention (IPS), web filtering, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization with testing.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the remote connectivity feature for users.

Trial/evaluations only.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization with testing.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the remote connectivity feature for users.

Trial/evaluations only.
Chief of Technical Department at IIA Ltda
The solution is easy to use and provides the ability to deliver customized solutions

• "Kerio Control is easy to use and provides the ability to deliver customized solutions."
  • "Support responses need improvement."
  • "I would like for there to be a difference between international and national links."

What is our primary use case?

It is for local use in our company of about one hundred users. It is also deployed to different clients, which are from twenty to two hundred users.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides security to the internal network and implements solutions through VPN to access specific internal services, without the need to open the network completely. The usage capacity of Kerio Control is enormous.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use and the ability to deliver customized solutions is incredible. When updating from version 9.2.4 to version 9.2.5, support services was able to remove 5 patches from version 9.2.5 in a very short amount of time to normalize the system.

What needs improvement?

Support responses. The response time was very good, but not excellent, because they were worried about their system normalization solution. They slightly delayed in answering direct queries.

I am evaluating version 9.2.6. I would like for there to be a difference between international and national links, something I can find in other firewalls.

More than five years.

Yes, in version 9.2.5, but we solved it quickly.

None

In general, I have not used it, except in version 9.2.5. The response was very good.

None

Simple initial setup.

An internal team implemented the solution.

In 2 years 80% of the investment was returned.

Initial implementation costs are comparable to a similar product due to the ease of performing basic operations.

The cost of the product has optional additions with very good prices. The product update is 25% of its value which is very good.

Yes, FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

Setting up a small laboratory is simple and fast, so you can see a small portion of the solution's benefits and what it will do to improve a business's security.

Chief of Technical Department at IIA Ltda
Helps our organization better control internal and external communications

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us better control internal and external communications.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use. The clear handling of the reports. The information that it delivers.

What needs improvement?

Filtering of pages and greater personalization in services, among others.

More than five years.

I have not had stability problems.

No issues.

The technical support is good.

We switched from our previous solution to Kerio Control, due to it administration and scalability.

How was

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us better control internal and external communications.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of use.
  • The clear handling of the reports.
  • The information that it delivers.

What needs improvement?

Filtering of pages and greater personalization in services, among others.

More than five years.

I have not had stability problems.

No issues.

The technical support is good.

Setup is simple. The Kerio interface is very intuitive.

Search and compare.

Yes, we evaluated Cisco, Fortinet, and Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

Only trust in the product. Its support is very good, and it is stable product.

IT Infrastucture - Cloud Admin at Primary S.A.
Now we have a better overview of all our internet connections and LAN-to-LAN connections.

What is most valuable?

Navigation through options and configure them is just two mouse clicks away. Lots of information without need of an external tool.

• Site-to-Site VPN
  • Easy configuration
  • Really easy and user friendly GUI
  • Stability
  • AD integration
  • Traffic shaping options
  • QoS management is great
  • VLAN options per interface
  • Proxy and Reverse proxy with SSL options
  • Two step authentication
  • The real-time built-in monitoring applications
  • Intrusion prevention system
  • DNS redirection
  • Easy monitoring and configuration of the routing table
  • Guest interface feature

How has it helped my organization?

We had several routers in our environment, including Linux firewalls and Cisco PIX for user and site-to-site VPN connections, all of them were replaced by Kerio Control. The improvement was instant as now we have a better overview of all our internet connections and LAN-to-LAN connections. We even have a better control of our site-to-site VPN tunnels.

What needs improvement?

The VPN configuration because if you need specific VPN parameters you have to configure them through the CLI of the appliance. These options are not available in the GUI. The intrusion prevention system is good, but it could be better and you cannot configure per IP exceptions. Some diagnostic tools can be improved too, however they are good enough to the everyday usage. Last,lu the Ubuntu/Debian VPN client can be improved a lot.

It does not offer high availability option yet, however you can do that through VMware's fault-tolerance feature.

Guest Interface has a built-in web site for access to the internet (like a hotspot). In some cases, guest users cannot see this interface and then they cannot navigate/use the internet, however this only happens on rare occasions.

I have used this for four years in several locations, and all of them are happy with it.

We had no issues deploying it.

Kerio Control can be used with three internet connection modes:

• Single internet connection
  • Fail-Over
  • Load-Balancig.

If you put the appliance in Fail-Over mode it will simply FAIL, and will bypass your routing rules. It will start balancing connections (even when you have not configure it) and the stability will be annoyingly poor. However, the user manual says that you have to put it on Load-Balancing mode if you want to use routing policies which is contradictory, but that's how it works. When you put the appliance in Load-Balancing mode it i will work great.

Once again you have to double-check licenses, remembering the licences count the IP that is passing through the firewall to the internet, and site-to-site connections will not count.

Here in Argentina they are terrible, as they will not answer emails and will not reurn the phone calls. Otherwise Kerio support is great.

We had a mix of Linux IPtables and Cisco appliances. We switched because the business needs a quicker and more precise response from IT.. Now, with a clicks, we can see everything.

It's not complex at all, however I have to modify the virtual appliance because it came with the E1000 virtual network adapter. I removed them and put VMXNet3 in instead. I also had to change the amount of default configured RAM. It's now working great.

I implemented it myself as it's really easy to setup and use.

To test it, you can setup a mini-lab inside of a VMware hypervisor. The major problem that you will find with this is the licensing, as it´s confusing and you have to remember that they licence the appliance per IP basis. The basic licence includes five users and 25 IPs for every device that pases through the firewall which counts as a used licence. If you have one user connected to the VPN and 24 devices using the internet (Tablets, Phones, VoIP phones, computers) then you are using 25 of the available IPs so no-one else would be allowed to use the VPN or navigate through the firewall until the VPN user disconnects, or one of the devices is not being used to connect to the internet. So you have to double-check how many IP address/users you will need before buy and deploy it. Luckily for us, Kerio offered a 30 day free trial for testing. Also, they sell the product with Sophos AV and a really good content filter.

What other advice do I have?

Connection Monitor

Debug Area

The Main Dashboard

Traffic Rules

Download our free Kerio Control Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.