Knowage Overview

Knowage is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Reporting Tools. It is most often compared to Pentaho Business Analytics: Knowage vs Pentaho Business Analytics

What is Knowage?

Knowage (formerly SpagoBI) has a 14-years history. The actual release is the 6.3.

Knowage offers FULL ANALYTICAL CAPABILITIES, with a special focus on big data analytics and comprehensive support to rich and multi-source data analysis. Knowage provides different modules, each one focused on a specific domain but mutually combinable (Big Data, Smart Intelligence, Enterprise Reporting, Location Intelligence, Performance Management, Predictive Analysis). Moreover, Knowage is an OPEN SOURCE solution: the source code is freely accessible, everyone is allowed to join the community and build the own business solution to ensure strategic decision-making and improved productivity.

Knowage suite is supported by Engineering Group, the leading Italian software and services company, with about 10,000 people and more than 50 offices worldwide. Maintenance and support services (such as trainings, migration support, proof-of-concepts, etc) are provided by Engineering Group (KNOWAGE Labs) under subscription.

Knowage is also known as SpagoBI.

Download the Reporting Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Knowage Customers

FIAT Group, Italian air navigation service provider,
Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Telecom Italia, ASL Genovese, San Giovanni Battista University Hospital

Knowage Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Consultant at Delta Beverages Pvt Ltd
User
Allows the user to work with report authoring/provisioning tools of their choice

What is our primary use case?

Building reports and user cockpits/dashboards from data and a MySQL database. Later, it will implement the ad hoc reporting tools to improve the user experience.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows the implementation of an effective reporting system using internal skills at a limited upfront cost.

What is most valuable?

The concept of engines is quite powerful allowing the user to work with report authoring/provisioning tools of their choice.

What needs improvement?

Development of SpagoBI has now been moved to Knowage. Users interested in further developments of the platform will have to look there.

Less than one year.
General Manager Information Technology & Enterprise Applications Manager at OXFORD HOLDING
It improves sales and products, which motivates employees

What is most valuable?

The Mobile Edition, which now they have stopped in the Community Edition.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves sales and products, which motivates employees.

What needs improvement?

Bring back the Mobile Edition in new releases.

Three years using SpagoBI v4.2, v5, v5.2 and Knowage.

Yes, using Mobile and Desktop Editions, we would sometimes need to restart the service.

Find out what your peers are saying about Knowage, Hitachi, Tableau and others in Reporting Tools. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Salesforce Cloud Administrator & Developer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Our customers appreciate the self-service BI functionalities.

What other advice do I have?

The main advantages of adopting SpagoBI are: * The possibility to have lots of features in one product * A chance to save money using an open source solution.
Senior Project Manager at Indra Company
The Studio component permits the developer to design analytical documents.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using it or at least evaluate how it effectively works; there are demo versions that are very well made, and easy to download and to install.
Co Founder at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
Automates report generation. I would like to see improvements in the UI and the widgets.

What other advice do I have?

If you are exploring open source tools and you don't want to invest in any BI tool, then this is a good option.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We can implement user-level auto-refresh for reports and perform database analysis at the client level.

What other advice do I have?

It is great. The application can provide more flexibility.
Software Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We used the visualization and web deployment parts of the suite. We expected the community to be bigger.

What other advice do I have?

The tool requires initial setup built around a couple of developers. It does not have any problems once it is deployed. I would use SpagoBI if a company wants to use a free tool that has enough features. For expert features, it might be prudent to go for a paid tool.
Head of Enterprise IT at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
It delivers reports with scheduled delivery to executives. Documentation for the email feature is lacking.

What other advice do I have?

As such, the product is available for free download and, based on open-source products, has the capability to be enhanced. However, it is not fair to expect to realise its potential merely utilizing in-house skills. I would highly recommend organizations desiring to implement the product to invest in consultancy and training and support. I am satisfied with the product in general given what the company invested in it, which was just our time.
BI-Internship at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It helped us successfully create a dashboard to understand our customers behavior. Improve the intelligence location and geo report; there's no documentation.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a free product, SpagoBI is the best choice, but you will have a lot of difficulties to find documents and tutorials related to this product. For that, I invite you to subscribe to the Mr Ogutu Ochieng YouTube channel. He also has a web site that can be very helpful for you.
Senior Security Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It was a free alternative at the time. It could not handle the demands of our organization.

What other advice do I have?

We changed systems altogether due to the volume and ease of the new product.
Senior Oracle Developer/BI Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is easy to deploy and run BIRT Eclipse reports. It is missing a global report parameters feature.

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, many interesting features do not work when you are using a custom database for storing the metadata. My advice is to use SpagoBI’s internal database.
Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are Integrated Data Visualization, GIS and Big Data Integration.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution we plan to develop more, could be better if more features improved for robustness and stability.
Group Director of Investigations at a tech services company
It provides a unified interface, a lot of tools for BI, easy configuration, and standalone SDK.

Valuable Features:

Unified interface, a lot of tools for BI, easy configuration, standalone SDK.

Improvements to My Organization:

Only useful if the tools is used by the senior managers and planning staff. We use OLAP, cockpits, geoanalytical tools and data mining.

Use of Solution:

3 years, from version 4.0 to version 5

Deployment Issues:

Yes, Tomcat configuration was tricky in earlier versions. Version 5 improved a bit.

Stability Issues:

It requires a good combination of HW resources.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.
CEO with 51-200 employees
Top Reviewer
Users of SpagoBI will need support, training and consulting services, and obviously this is where the revenue model is pitched
SpagoBI is essentially a very large collection of open source software brought together to create a broad business intelligence capability. In fact it goes beyond the traditional notion of BI to embrace domains such as data mining and BPM. This broad capability has encouraged large companies such as Fiat and Gamebay to adopt it as part of their strategic BI solution. SpagoBI is also unique among open source BI solutions in that the free version is the only version. There are no paid for versions with extra functionality. Users can elect to contract into support and training, but the product just comes in one version. The breadth of the offering is impressive, and each area of functionality is often served by a number of engines to deliver all the functionality that might possibly be…
Download our free Reporting Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Knowage, Hitachi, Tableau, and more!