Knowage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Knowage is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Reporting Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: Knowage vs Microsoft BI

What is Knowage?

Knowage (formerly SpagoBI) has a 14-years history. The actual release is the 6.3.

Knowage offers FULL ANALYTICAL CAPABILITIES, with a special focus on big data analytics and comprehensive support to rich and multi-source data analysis. Knowage provides different modules, each one focused on a specific domain but mutually combinable (Big Data, Smart Intelligence, Enterprise Reporting, Location Intelligence, Performance Management, Predictive Analysis). Moreover, Knowage is an OPEN SOURCE solution: the source code is freely accessible, everyone is allowed to join the community and build the own business solution to ensure strategic decision-making and improved productivity.

Knowage suite is supported by Engineering Group, the leading Italian software and services company, with about 10,000 people and more than 50 offices worldwide. Maintenance and support services (such as trainings, migration support, proof-of-concepts, etc) are provided by Engineering Group (KNOWAGE Labs) under subscription.

Knowage is also known as SpagoBI.

Download the Reporting Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Knowage Customers

FIAT Group, Italian air navigation service provider,
Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Telecom Italia, ASL Genovese, San Giovanni Battista University Hospital

Knowage Video

Archived Knowage Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user855555
Consultant at Delta Beverages Pvt Ltd
User
Allows the user to work with report authoring/provisioning tools of their choice

What is our primary use case?

Building reports and user cockpits/dashboards from data and a MySQL database. Later, it will implement the ad hoc reporting tools to improve the user experience.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows the implementation of an effective reporting system using internal skills at a limited upfront cost.

What is most valuable?

The concept of engines is quite powerful allowing the user to work with report authoring/provisioning tools of their choice.

What needs improvement?

Development of SpagoBI has now been moved to Knowage. Users interested in further developments of the platform will have to look there.

Less than one year.

What is our primary use case?

Less than one year.
AbdulshukoorMohammed
General Manager Information Technology & Enterprise Applications Manager at OXFORD HOLDING
It improves sales and products, which motivates employees

What is most valuable?

The Mobile Edition, which now they have stopped in the Community Edition.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves sales and products, which motivates employees.

What needs improvement?

Bring back the Mobile Edition in new releases.

Three years using SpagoBI v4.2, v5, v5.2 and Knowage.

Yes, using Mobile and Desktop Editions, we would sometimes need to restart the service.

What is most valuable?

The Mobile Edition, which now they have stopped in the Community Edition.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves sales and products, which motivates employees.

What needs improvement?

Bring back the Mobile Edition in new releases.

Three years using SpagoBI v4.2, v5, v5.2 and Knowage.

Find out what your peers are saying about Knowage, Hitachi, Tableau and others in Reporting Tools. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Salesforce Cloud Administrator & Developer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Our customers appreciate the self-service BI functionalities.

What is most valuable?

• Our customers really appreciate the self-service BI functionalities. For us, this is the most valuable feature. It allows them to work more autonomously without the need to engage us.
  • For example, loading a spreadsheet and being able to make analysis inputs along with the data stored in a DWH without any external support in an easy and guided way.

How has it helped my organization?

SpagoBI helped us to move a lot of analysis activities from our company to the customer side. Moreover, we avoided extending other products we used in order to add BI functionalities.

Because it is an open source product, we were also able to adopt it in our project from the early stages for very simple tasks.

What needs improvement?

Speaking of a very complete suite, I think there is no area that can be considered fully mature. I think there is chance to improve the product in every direction.

• We are not happy with the poor graphic user interface. It looks a bit old and sometimes it is not properly user friendly. I think a global re-styling is a must.
  • Speaking of a BI suite, I think this is an important point. The SpagoBI Studio, which is used by developers to create traditional reports and dashboards, is not fully mature. It is still missing a lot of functionalities.
  • For example, the UI for building charts is not complete and does not allow you to do everything that you need to edit configuration files with a text editor.

I have been using SpagoBI suite since Version 3.6. Right now, I'm using Version 5.1.

I never had stability issues. The product has been designed using quite consolidated technologies.

I never had the chance to use it in very challenging contexts from a performance point of view. But I know it is designed to scale quite well in very demanding scenarios.

SpagoBI Labs, who provide consulting services and actively work to improve the product, can support customers in almost every kind of project.

People working there are very skilled and professional, so I would give the technical support a rating of 8/10.

We didn't use a previous solution. Since SpagoBI was originally created by my company, and we still support it, the choice was easy.

The initial setup can be quite straightforward, especially in a complex context where stability aspects are the key factors.

To start using SpagoBI in a productive way, I suggest that you ask for support.

SpagoBI suite is free/open source software and can't be identified with a specific vendor.

We created it and we actively support it. At the beginning of this year, we presented its successor http://www.knowage-suite.com.

What other advice do I have?

The main advantages of adopting SpagoBI are:

• The possibility to have lots of features in one product
  • A chance to save money using an open source solution.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: OEM
it_user520557
Senior Project Manager at Indra Company
The Studio component permits the developer to design analytical documents.

What is most valuable?

• SpagoBI Server offers the core and analytical functionalities. It provides the Analytical Model (reports, ETL, OLAP analysis, real-time dashboards, KPI, cockpits, GIS information, etc.), administration tools and cross-platform services.
  • SpagoBI Studio has high productivity in the development phase; it easily permits the developer to design analytical documents such as reports, charts, geo, cockpits.
  • SpagoBI SDK for integration and to use SpagoBI with external applications.

How has it helped my organization?

In other words, the main goal of my project was to create detailed reporting and a dashboard for managing various local departments (ASL) of the ministry to analyze the various performance and geographical distribution (through the use of maps and geo-referenced data) of expenditures, with the purpose of providing support to strategic choices of the senior management. One of the features that attracted us with the choice of SpagoBI was that it offers a simplified query functionality for business users, requiring no technical knowledge.

What needs improvement?

In my project, I used the 2.0 version of product. It had some room for improvement and features that the latest version now has. For example: the new users interface, improved performance of the analytical engines, etc.

Nonetheless, there is room for further improvement. As all software and especially the open-source ones have always something that can work better, in this case, SpagoBI is slightly difficult to implement. However, in my opinion, it is much better than other open-source solutions and otherwise is in line with what the open-­source market has offered over the years. For this reason, one of the rooms for improvement is certainly the user friendliness of product.

Another point of improvement is the robustness, but open-source software has a major advantage over closed-source software, and that is the source code can be reviewed by a large number of highly diverse programmers and developers of the community. Thus, it is easier to find and correct errors than when the code is reviewed only by in-house programmers who are often under pressure to meet deadlines and who might not have strong incentives to find and eliminate all the bugs.

I have used it for six months, in a project for the Italian Department of Health and Human Services ("Ministero della Salute").

With some alpha versions, I did encounter stability issues, but this is normal in the software release process. There was improvement in the versions up to the release candidate of product.

In my case, I have not encountered any scalability issues. It supports scalability, clustering and high availability architectures.

Excellent.

Technical support is very good, both the commercial channels, and the help and support that is offered by the large open-source community spread throughout the world. Moreover, I had the good fortune to have direct access to the excellent technical analysts who develop the product, since they participated in our project because I was working at that time for a company in the Engineering Group, which founded and supported the product.

I did not previously use a different solution; this was the my first BI project.

Well, initial setup was a bit delicate because of some manual customization that you have to do, but it was easy to resolve, or rather this gave us the opportunity to understand it very well and study the architecture and operation of the product. Nonetheless, I think that these issues have been resolved in newer versions.

Yes, I did.

As I have already said before, I had the good fortune to have direct access to the excellent technical analysts who develop the product with excellent results for my project.

SpaboBI is 100% open source and is released under the Mozilla Public License allowing its commercial use.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated MicroStrategy and SAP BusinessObjects. In this case, we chose SpagoBI because of the costs and the opportunity, scalability and customizations that an open source product offers.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using it or at least evaluate how it effectively works; there are demo versions that are very well made, and easy to download and to install.

it_user562701
Co Founder at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
Automates report generation. I would like to see improvements in the UI and the widgets.

What is most valuable?

Dynamic Dashboards & KPI was the most valuable because these provide great insights about the business and sales with a very simple mechanism.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to automate the report generation. Dynamic Dashboards & KPI provides data for stakeholders in real time.

What needs improvement?

Because it is an open source BI tool, there are many areas of improvement:

• The UI is not very profound.
  • The Widgets are not ample enough to showcase data in different formats
  • The support is very meager: We had to break our heads to figure out everything

We have been using this solution for nine months

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

There were some scalability issues. To scale, we needed to build proper ETL models. Due to the lack of support, it was very laborious to find the correct method.

I would give technical support a rating of 2/10.

We used SAS Analytics.

The initial setup is quite easy. However, the process to implement complex reports is not described. You have to struggle to find the steps.

What other advice do I have?

If you are exploring open source tools and you don't want to invest in any BI tool, then this is a good option.

it_user551895
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We can implement user-level auto-refresh for reports and perform database analysis at the client level.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features to us are application implementation, development, and analysis.

It provides implementation of reports for SpagoBI dynamic and static applications.

Allows development according to client needs. We can implement admin/user-level auto-refresh for reports by pulling data from a database according to a specific format. We can also add code for end-to-end SpagoBI applications.

We can perform database analysis at the client level.

How has it helped my organization?

We can get live application status. E.g., machine status on/off at the front end. Also, quarter/half/yearly status of company marketing campaigns. E.g., forecasting and earlier income remedies.

What needs improvement?

SpagoBI could benefit from some improvements in development and analysis.
At the analysis level, we provide forecasting for clients/customers to compare with what was previously seen at the reporting level.

In development, we could do the same as analysis in coding level.

We had stability issues.

We had scalability issues related to team work.

I rate the level of technical support 10/10.

Initial setup was more complex due to team complexity.

I had input in the selection of this solution as I’m in a team leading position.

Should be usable in licensing because helps genuine output.

Before choosing, we did not evaluate other options. However, after choosing this product, I have seen other similar applications.

What other advice do I have?

It is great. The application can provide more flexibility.

it_user520530
Software Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We used the visualization and web deployment parts of the suite. We expected the community to be bigger.

What is most valuable?

We used the visualization part and web deployment part of the suite. It was handy to pump out visualizations needed for our project.

How has it helped my organization?

The project was a medical state government funded one. The stakeholders were both management and researchers. It helped us showcase our data in a meaningful way.

What needs improvement?

SpagoBI is an open-source tool which can be used freely. We expected the community to be bigger than what it currently is. There were geomaps, etc. included with the suite, but we felt they were lacking compared to JavaScript solutions.

We have used it for at least a year and will continue to do so.

There were issues in deploying it at first, and there were errors for which we had to reach out to the community. But in due time and investigation, we were able to smooth it out. Rarely did we have a problem after that.

There were no problems with the scalability of the platform. We did not have a massive deploy but whatever we had deployed worked pretty well.

The technical support was on our end. We did not approach SpagoBI. We tried posting in the SpagoBI community, but didn’t get too far.

This was the first time we were going to use a BI suite.

The initial setup was easy on our local systems. Being a developer for it, I rarely had problems on the local setup. Deploying and communicating between SpagoBI Server and SpagoBI was sometimes finicky after we went live. They were ironed out in due time. Most of the issues were related to security and permission setup, and interfacing with Java.

SpagoBI is an open-source tool, which is free to use and implement. We did not have any problems with using at our department.

Before choosing this product, there were other options we considered; the main one being Pentaho. The only reason we choose SpagoBI was it being open source and free. Pentaho did have more options/features albeit being paid.

What other advice do I have?

The tool requires initial setup built around a couple of developers. It does not have any problems once it is deployed. I would use SpagoBI if a company wants to use a free tool that has enough features. For expert features, it might be prudent to go for a paid tool.

Mushtaq Hussain
Head of Enterprise IT at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
It delivers reports with scheduled delivery to executives. Documentation for the email feature is lacking.

What is most valuable?

It is mainly for reporting a variety of telecom traffic and revenue-related metrics to executives. It is also used to generate invoices (billing).

How has it helped my organization?

The product runs against a datamart for a telecom international gateway, delivering daily, weekly, and monthly traffic; usage; revenue expenses and profitability reports for the business, with scheduled delivery to specified executives. They also perform online queries for the same metrics as and when required.

What needs improvement?

I faced difficulties when using the email feature and documentation was scant. Each recipient had to be added separately in the schedule. Turning the document into PDF, passing parameters (daily, weekly, monthly), etc. The issues could be sorted out mainly but required consulting a variety of resources and reading the logs.

Another issue was connection pooling, which I know is not specifically Spago’s domain. The system ran out of database connections after a few weeks, after our staff used it to generate 50 or so invoices one by one, delivered blank reports and needed a restart to release connections.

I have used it for two years.

I did not avail myself of any technical support; I just used Google for support on various issues.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was a learning curve because our executives collated multiple reports into a single report and needed email delivery.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated Microsoft SSRS.

What other advice do I have?

As such, the product is available for free download and, based on open-source products, has the capability to be enhanced. However, it is not fair to expect to realise its potential merely utilizing in-house skills.

I would highly recommend organizations desiring to implement the product to invest in consultancy and training and support.

I am satisfied with the product in general given what the company invested in it, which was just our time.

BI-Internship at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It helped us successfully create a dashboard to understand our customers behavior. Improve the intelligence location and geo report; there's no documentation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of SpagoBI is that it is open source and 100% free without limits.

How has it helped my organization?

The goal of the project that I was working in, is the realization of KPIs and a dashboard in order to understand the customers’ behavior and by using SpagoBI, this task was successfully done.

What needs improvement?

Improve the intelligence location and geo report, because it's very difficult to implement this part and there's not a lot of documentation.

I also suggest to provide help for the developer in writing his query in QBE; it would be very helpful.

I have used SpagoBI for three months.

I encountered a lot of issues when I tried to integrate the map in order to realize Intelligent Location Dashboards.

I have never tried to contact technical support.

I previously used Tableau, Qlik, and Power BI. SpagoBi was a choice imposed by the company (financial reasons).

For the initial setup, there were some difficulties; you need to configure the Java runtime and change the global variable location and name, configure the Apache server, establish a connection between the studio and the server, and so on...

My advice about the licence: It is 100% free.

For me, Tableau is the most powerful and the easiest reporting tool. It is created for all user categories; you don't need to be a business intelligence engineer or have a SQL background.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a free product, SpagoBI is the best choice, but you will have a lot of difficulties to find documents and tutorials related to this product.

For that, I invite you to subscribe to the Mr Ogutu Ochieng YouTube channel. He also has a web site that can be very helpful for you.

it_user515766
Senior Security Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It was a free alternative at the time. It could not handle the demands of our organization.

Valuable Features

• Being able to schedule necessary jobs needed for production jobs and programming run times

Improvements to My Organization

It was a free alternative at the time, but it could not handle the demands of our organization.

Room for Improvement

At the time the organization I worked for scheduled over a thousand jobs at any given time, and some were very complex. The demands of some jobs (IT special formatted) would slow Spago and lock the site, preventing any other job from processing. On the backend, one of the technicians would have to go in and kill the job that stopped, to resume functioning. There was no active visibility into processing as the dashboard was often behind, and confirmation emails would overlap, or wouldn’t generate.

Use of Solution

I used it for 2.5 years.

There was an issue with the capacity at which it could process our jobs, and volume. We had a saying that, “Spago was down for the count,” or “Who broke Spago?”

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support was handled internally.

Other Advice

We changed systems altogether due to the volume and ease of the new product.

it_user514305
Senior Oracle Developer/BI Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is easy to deploy and run BIRT Eclipse reports. It is missing a global report parameters feature.

What is most valuable?

• Deploying and running BIRT Eclipse reports: We only use BIRT reports, and we couldn't find any satisfying solution for deploying them, except SpagoBI. None of the other open-source report servers we have tested had this feature or it was difficult to implement. In SpagoBI, it is very easy to create a new report, define the report parameters and upload the report template file.
  • Open source and free.
  • Web application.
  • Parameterized data source
  • It can use Oracle database for storing metadata.
  • Parameter GUI components with great features (tree, combo, correlations, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

SpagoBI makes delivering reports to our clients very easy.

What needs improvement?

• User interface

It is also missing a global report parameters feature. A report user needs to specify report parameters separately for each report. The parameter values can't be shared across other reports, which can be a little frustrating for the end users.

Let's say you have 10 reports with the same two parameters: Start and End Date. If the client wants to execute all 10 reports for a specific period of time, he needs to go to each report, one by one, and enter those two parameters. If he wants to change the period of time and execute all reports, he needs to repeat all of that again, which can be time consuming and prone to errors. With a global parameters feature, you can have those two parameters in one place and the user can enter the start and end dates only once and execute all of the reports with the same parameter values. Unfortunately, SpagoBi doesn't have such a feature.

We have been using SpagoBI for one year.

We are very satisfied with stability of SpagoBI. No memory leaking and no crashing.

We haven’t encountered any issues with scalability.

We haven’t used technical support.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was very straightforward and easy.

We have evaluated two report servers. The first one was Tableau server, which was too expensive, and the second one was Pentaho, which didn’t have support for BIRT reports.

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, many interesting features do not work when you are using a custom database for storing the metadata. My advice is to use SpagoBI’s internal database.

Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are Integrated Data Visualization, GIS and Big Data Integration.

What is most valuable?

Integrated Data Visualization, GIS and Big Data Integration.

How has it helped my organization?

Since it was an full open source business model, it was easy to customized on general features

What needs improvement?

Many things need to be improved, most of all..robustness. the idea to combines many features in single point of view still became a stronger point. Keep improve in solution robustness and this solution could be one of the leaders

Six months

Yes, and most problematic when we deploy on manual deployment in Jboss or even Tomcat. Less documentation when more information needed.

Yes, when you deal with template creation in SpagoBI Studio, but it happened only when documentation was less and forum support was not so quick in response.

Yes, in terms of deployment in "real" application server when documentation was not so complete

Not so good, but since it was an open source and have no supporting deals, then it was a normal business case.

Not so good when relying much on forumsbut we have no supporting contract so, this is normal.

Yes I did, to try new and improved version of SpagoBI.

Yes in all-in-one deployment but tricky in application server for production

Individually implemented and self supported

In terms of ROI, much better than any other solution when it offer full fledged features in open source, planned to have direct contact with SpagoBI for better support.

Still have no firm opinion for now but will be shared after real contact and dealt with SpagoBI

Yes, I did

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution we plan to develop more, could be better if more features improved for robustness and stability.

Group Director of Investigations at a tech services company
It provides a unified interface, a lot of tools for BI, easy configuration, and standalone SDK.

Valuable Features:

Unified interface, a lot of tools for BI, easy configuration, standalone SDK.

Improvements to My Organization:

Only useful if the tools is used by the senior managers and planning staff. We use OLAP, cockpits, geoanalytical tools and data mining.

Use of Solution:

3 years, from version 4.0 to version 5

Deployment Issues:

Yes, Tomcat configuration was tricky in earlier versions. Version 5 improved a bit.

Stability Issues:

It requires a good combination of HW resources.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Valuable Features:

Unified interface, a lot of tools for BI, easy configuration, standalone SDK.

Improvements to My Organization:

Use of Solution:

3 years, from version 4.0 to version 5

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

It requires a good combination of HW resources.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

it_user6855
CEO with 51-200 employees
SpagoBI is essentially a very large collection of open source software brought together to create a broad business intelligence capability. In fact it goes beyond the traditional notion of BI to embrace domains such as data mining and BPM. This broad capability has encouraged large companies such as Fiat and Gamebay to adopt it as part of their strategic BI solution. SpagoBI is also unique among open source BI solutions in that the free version is the only version. There are no paid for versions with extra functionality. Users can elect to contract into support and training, but the product just comes in one version. The breadth of the offering is impressive, and each area of functionality is often served by a number of engines to deliver all the functionality that might possibly be…

The breadth of the offering is impressive, and each area of functionality is often served by a number of engines to deliver all the functionality that might possibly be needed. The main areas of functionality include:

• Reporting
  • Multidimensional analysis
  • Charts
  • KPI
  • Interactive Cockpits
  • Ad-Hoc Reporting
  • Location Intelligence
  • Free Inquiry (Query by Example)
  • Data Mining
  • Real Time Dashboards and Console
  • Collaboration
  • Office Automation
  • ETL
  • Mobile
  • Master Data Management

If you want the full run-down on these areas of functionality go here.

Users of SpagoBI will need support, training and consulting services, and obviously this is where the revenue model is pitched.

Download our free Reporting Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Knowage, Hitachi, Tableau, and more!