Kognitio WX2 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Kognitio WX2?

Kognitio WX2 is an analytical Relational Database Management System (RDBMS), often referred to as a data warehouse database or in some cases a data warehouse appliance. WX2 is a software only product; it does not use a proprietary hardware platform or proprietary additions to achieve its very high performance. Instead, WX2 uses scalable arrays of low-cost industry-standard servers.

Although WX2 can scale down to very small systems, its very high performance and scalability makes it ideally suited for applications that involve very large data volumes and complex analysis.

Kognitio WX2 was previously known as WX2.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Kognitio WX2 Customers

Aimia, Bed Bath & Beyond, bet365, Blueberry Wave, British Telecom, Ellerines, Everyclick, Nectar Italia, PlaceIQ, ScottishPower, Segmetrix, Tattershall Castle Group, Vocal Planet, VivaKi, Willard Bishop

Kognitio WX2 Video

Archived Kognitio WX2 Reviews (more than two years old)

ETL Developer at a music company with 501-1,000 employees
the most useful feature of the product is object imaging. It is the champion in the world of RDBMS.

What is most valuable?

• Slabs and memory management
  • Users' privileges management
  • Real time monitor: performance charts and graphs
  • WX2 Console's "Analyse Problem Queries"
  • Multi Parallel Processing capability: able to specify number of threads to use, number of cores, etc., depending on the size of a job.

I have especially found the feature of being able to create tables entirely on disk, entirely on RAM, or both, useful; a mixed storage architecture. However, the most useful feature of the WX2/KAP product is object imaging; the heart of the product with respect to superb database-query performance. In the world of RDBMS, WX2/KAP is, I believe, the champion, or should be if not already!

How has it helped my organization?

Analysts were able to develop complex queries and analyse huge amounts of data returned, in the same breath, as how one would define big data; within minutes if not seconds.

What needs improvement?

Although they already have patches to address the instability of CORV (Create or Replace Views) CASCADE, I believe this is the area that should receive most attention. I am, however, still not sure if the patch has officially been recognised and deployed as part of their version updates.

There are a few critical issues/bugs that we have experienced on our production environment, which required intervention from Kognitio. As one of Kognitio's biggest clients, their response times were quick and patches were also quick to be released to address production issues.

Also, slabs management seems to be, or can be, a very hands-on tasks especially when reaching its capacity. It will be every WX2/KAP developer’s or DBA’s paradise if the product can be configured in this area to be fully/semi-automated.

I have used the WX2/ KAP for one year.

We had no problems with deployment. We have access to direct support function from Kognitio. All deployment of the product, including version upgrades, patching jobs, major scheduled maintenances, etc., were handled by Kognito.

We did have some stability issues. On a high-level perspective, high performance databases like Teradata and Oracle, sending in a SELECT statement against a view object, which is part of a nested views-on-views, that is not already there (may be dropped by accident) will not break the entire database. WX2/KAP will break as this has caused it to become unstable. Having said this, we received a memo from Kognitio saying that this behavior is fixed in version 8.x. As with every new version, there will be new problems; only time and long term development/use can expose the flaws/bugs.

The WX2/KAP database, I believe, is still rather young in the world of databases, albeit it has been around for 15 odd years. It does not have the robustness or stability like of Oracle or Teradata; the upper right quadrant. But it is getting there!

Another example with stability, if Kognitio has not addressed this yet, is leap second. See the following link -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33313347. This will definitely break the WX2 database, even for version 8.x.

We have had scalability issues. We initially had one rack where the product was installed. It has reached its capacity over time, and at the same time the user base increased. There was no way to scale the rack up. The business had to purchase another rack with more blades.

A project that intends to use the product *must* be absolutely clear and understand the current requirements of the business and a calculated growth of the database. This will determine the required size of HDD (which will determine number of blades, and how slabs should be allocated), and of RAM. Once the pre-configuration is set for slabs, it cannot be altered. More RAM can be purchased and added. Rigorous house-keeping tasks must also be adhered to if there are no plans to scale up, to prolong and improve use and efficiency.

Customer service is excellent! I give them 10/10.

Technical support is absolutely excellent! I give them 10/10. Really pleased! We have direct access to Mark, Deborah, Andrew, and Leroy.

We did not have a previous solution.

Setup was straightforward.

All I can say is it is good. And the evidence of this, although unable to quantify, is that we have expanded from a handful of WX2/KAP racks to at least another fifteen.

I don't know much about pricing and licensing. But I'd recommend getting the tech support functions. Although KAP version 8.x has received more love and are better, one never knows when it will break. And when it breaks, you will need one or a few of Kognitio's WX2/KAP genies to grant you your wishes on your production environment problems.

I have no information on this.

What other advice do I have?

It is extremely fast! And, one does not have to utilise the columnal approach when building a data warehouse.

Product Categories
Data Warehouse
Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Kognitio, Teradata, Snowflake Computing, and more!