Laravel PHP Framework OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Laravel PHP Framework is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top PHP Frameworks. It is most often compared to CakePHP: Laravel PHP Framework vs CakePHP

What is Laravel PHP Framework?
Whether you're a solo developer or a 20 person team, Laravel is a breath of fresh air. Keep everyone in sync using Laravel's database agnostic migrations and schema builder. It provides an amazing ORM, painless routing, powerful queue library, and simple authentication give you the tools you need for modern, maintainable PHP. We sweat the small stuff to help you deliver amazing applications.
Laravel PHP Framework Customers
bugsnag, PhpStorm, LaraJobs, Vehikl

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Laravel PHP Framework pricing:
  • "The open-source version of the product is free to use."

Laravel PHP Framework Reviews

Showmik Barua
Engineer at Attrabit
By helping to reduce coding redundancies this product helps save effort but bulks up quickly

• "The product helps minimize writing redundant code and speeds development."
  • "The implementation process is quite complex and needs to be simplified and more automated."

What is our primary use case?

Frameworks are normally made to help people working with a programming languages they are using to work more efficiently. For example, if you want to build your system using Microsoft features, then you should go use a .NET Framework. If you want to build your system by PHP programming language, then you can use a PHP framework like Laravel.

The primary use for Laravel Framework in my case is for my PHP development of software and my web sites.

How has it helped my organization?

Laravel has helped us to more efficiently spread our workload within our development team.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is how the framework minimizes the need to use redundant code. I can reuse blocks of code and this minimizes rewriting or copying and also simplifies troubleshooting reused code.

What needs improvement?

One thing that is not so good about this solution is that the implementation process is quite complex. To get the final output, you have to maintain a lot of extra processes or parts. If you are not careful with the system you can damage it easily.

Because there is some dependency, these dependencies need to be added to the system. If you forget to add in any dependency, then it will not work.

What I would like to see improved to minimize the size of the built-in system's extra processes. There are a lot of default files that bulk up the installation. I would also like the setup to be more intuitive.

I have been using Laravel, all together, for about one and a half years.

More-or-less, I can say that it is stable. It could perform better or more efficiently, but it may only lag and not crash.

Obviously Laravel is scalable because that is what it was meant to be by design. In my company, there are several departments. Some work with networking, some work with software development, et cetera. In my department, there are 20 to 25 employees that are working with Laravel and other software development tools. The product is constantly in use by the entire department, but the projects and their roles in a project may be different.

In this product, there are several features or functions. To develop a system, you do not need to do all the parts of the system by yourself. The tasks can be divided between a team of employees. So one employee will be responsible for one feature and the other on the team is responsible for another feature. In this way, all the features are covered but not by the same person at one time. A specific person is responsible for a specific part of the task. You can make the team larger or smaller to scale with production on a project.

I do not go through support. I do use the community tools on Quora, however. There are a lot of users on the platform who discuss bug-related problems and a lot of users with experience who provide answers. There are buttons to vote for which answers are the best ones so the best answers become the best rated. It makes it easy to find the right answer and to participate in the discussions.

I have used and am sometimes still using Core PHP, Raw PHP, and Laravel. Another thing I use on the database in a server is PHP MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions). I have not used anything else for my PHP development.

The initial setup is not entirely straightforward because there is some dependency. These dependencies need to be added to the system first. You have to be sure this setup is complete.

The amount of time it takes to deploy actually depends on the system you want to build. If you want to build a simple web development system, then it may require less than two to three days to configure a small rack. But if you go for a more complex system, then it will require more effort and time. I cannot accurately say how much because it depends on the scope of the system and other criteria for usage.

But the basic installation may not take any more than two days. If you are an amateur, then it will take more time.

There are some things that you can handle by yourself in the installation by using the documentation they provide. In some extra or exceptional cases, you probably want to use the assistance of an expert.

We took care of the implementation ourselves with some help through available online help resources.

The cost is not an issue because the product we use is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

When you first build something you may create a lot of files to build a working system. If you look closely later, you may see that some files you created were redundant or unnecessary. But because you built the system it will now not support itself without those files and redundancy already created. Instead of doing this type of management, you should let Laravel help create it. It will help you manage and be more consistent and efficient.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Laravel as a seven-point-five out of ten. You can round that up to eight.