Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Overview

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to HPE ProLiant DL Servers: Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers vs HPE ProLiant DL Servers

What is Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers?

From growing small businesses to enterprise workloads, Lenovo rack servers offer the unmatched value, flexibility and industry-leading efficiency to meet mission-critical demands with legendary quality and reliability.

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers is also known as SR Series, Lenovo SR Series, ThinkSystem Rack Servers, IBM Rack Servers, ThinkSystem SR Series, Lenovo Rack Servers, .

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Customers

immixGroup, Komsomolskaya Pravda, SRG Global, Seekr, Infiniti Red Bull Racing, jKool, Tennis Australia, VEKA, Netpoints, Gamma Powersports

Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers pricing:
  • "Your budget determines the scalability."
  • "The licensing cost is the same as HP. It doesn't have any additional cost. However, the price, for example, for the memory option, does not match other vendors such as HP or Dell. They should work on the pricing of Lenovo. It is a great competitor, and it should compete with the price."
  • "It costs around $8,000. There is an additional cost for the support for a year."
  • "It is too expensive. Because we are a university and we have to look for our money, many times we buy some refurbished machines or equipment at reasonable prices from IBM or Lenovo. We are a little bit limited in terms of money, and we buy as much as we can. If they were cheaper, we would buy more."
  • "Its pricing is very competitive."
  • "The price of the solution is very expensive when compared to other solution like HP or Dell."

Oleksandr Meleshchuk
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 3, 2020
Provides the power and versatility needed to tackle demanding workloads

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization purposes. We are running a huge amount of different VM's on them.

• "I would say the stability of the system itself would be the biggest advantage."

What other advice do I have?

The general usage of the hardware itself is a level of education that you get during the process of the initial setup and further maintenance of the servers. That alone is very valuable. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. I cannot give it a higher rating because the perfect solution does not exist.
    Farrokh Farrokh
    CEO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Nov 24, 2020
    It is easy to set up and has a single dashboard for upgrading different views and devices

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution without any errors on the main boards or other systems. We are also using the storage of Lenovo, that is, V7000. We have 30 VM machines on the servers here, and we are using SP1 scalable processors. We are buying all the things to use from Lenovo. Everything comes from Lenovo, that is, hard drives, racks, memory, and processors.

• "The IMM tool is great because we can upgrade different views and device versions very quickly. We can upgrade everything from a single point through a single dashboard, which is great for us because we also have Lenovo storage. Lenovo ThinkSystem also has Xclarity built into the system."
    • "HP has a riser inside, but Lenovo does not have a riser. It would be good to have a riser with Lenovo. The GUI of the system is really bad. HP has a very good UI for smart memories and everything inside, but in Lenovo, we have a black-and-white UI. HP right now manufactures a server with scalable SP1 and SP2 on a single machine, which is not the case with Lenovo. They are changing the machine. For SP 1, there is one server, and for SP2, there is another server, which is really bad. In HP, we can use two models of processors in a single case. Lenovo should also be improved to have SP1 and SP2 scalable processors simultaneously on a single machine. They should not release another machine. This issue is also there in H3650 severs. They are all inside, but only V3 CPU or only v4 CPU can work, whereas, in HBG9, we can deploy V3 and V4 simultaneously. Lenovo also needs to advertise more because I can't see advertisements anywhere."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a nine out of ten.
    Learn what your peers think about Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
    475,705 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Markus Waldmann
    Lecturer at HSLU
    Nov 28, 2020
    Stable, easy to install, and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

It's a large virtualization environment where our students and our researchers have all the machines running and it's realized with VMware.

• "The solution is very simple to install."
    • "From our side, our budgets are really not there. The availability of cash is a little bit limited. We buy as much as we can, If it was less expensive, we could buy more."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Lenovo. Normally, we are not using the latest version of the solution due to the fact that they are too expensive. We are a university and we have to look for how much money we use. Therefore, often we end up buying some refurbished machines or some equipment from IBM, from Lenovo, etc., which we get at reasonable prices. Everything is on-premises and we have our own private cloud with these machines. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine.
    Aldo Abril
    CTO at Caja Paita
    Jan 16, 2021
    Good integration, good support, and easy to use and scale

What is our primary use case?

We use it for microservices. It is for the main applications and growth of the business.

• "It has good integration. You have VMware for connecting many machines, and you can support microservices. You can also easily connect the networks. It is also very easy to use and implement, and it comes with good support."
    • "It should have tools for integration with the cloud. We should be able to transmit data from our on-premises server to the servers in the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. It is very easy to implement, and you can scale it easily. It is useful for us, and we plan to keep using it. When the company grows, we would add more servers. I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers an eight out of ten.
    Markus Waldmann
    Lecturer at HSLU
    Nov 29, 2020
    Good stability, easy mounting, and good support

What is our primary use case?

It is a large VMware virtualization environment on which our students and researchers are running all the machines.

• "We appreciate the stability and easy mountings of all the machines. We have some direct connections with IBM, Lenovo, and other companies, and we get close support from them."
    • "It is quite an expensive product. Its price can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a nine out of ten. It is just the price that lowers it to nine.
    SR
    reviewer1278084
    Data Center Solutions Specialist Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Feb 22, 2021
    A perfect solution with good stability, good local support, and best performance

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it for server virtualization.

• "Its performance and the local support of Lenovo in my city are the most valuable features. Its performance is the best, and its user interface is also very easy."
    • "Its price could be better. Its price is sometimes an issue for our clients. XClarity Controller is a very good feature, and Lenovo should include the XClarity Controller license without any additional cost. It should be integrated within the product."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Lenovo ThinkSystem Rack Servers a ten out of ten.
    Getachew Zeleke
    Senior Custormer Engineer at Afcor PLC
    Mar 26, 2021
    High availability, good technical support, and easy setup

What is most valuable?

I like everything about this solution. It is a very good server, with excellent availability. The size of the power is adequate and the low heating is beneficial.

What needs improvement?

I would like the solution to be improved by having more advanced utilities.

I have used the solution for approximately six years.

The solution is scalable.

We have had the chance to contact technical support and it was good.

The initial setup of the solution was straightforward, it was very easy.

The price of the solution is…