Liferay Digital Experience Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Liferay Digital Experience Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Digital Experience Platforms. It is most often compared to Drupal: Liferay Digital Experience Platform vs Drupal

What is Liferay Digital Experience Platform?
Liferay Digital Experience Platform is an enterprise-grade platform that enables companies to create and connect personalized digital experiences across web, mobile, social, in store and other touchpoints. It provides the technical foundation (deep integration, security and modularity) for your digital business to orchestrate unique customer experiences, as well as business value features to support a deeper understanding of your customers.

Liferay Digital Experience Platform is also known as Liferay DXP.

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Liferay Digital Experience Platform Customers
Adidas, Carrefour, Cisco Systems, Danone, Fujitsu, Lufthansa Flight Training, Siemens, Société Générale and the United Nations
Liferay Digital Experience Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Liferay Digital Experience Platform pricing:
  • "It's an open-source structure. Other costs are for professional services to integrate Liferay to other existing systems."
  • "Licensing costs can be very expensive."

Liferay Digital Experience Platform Reviews

GS
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Full-featured unified platform with good scaling options

• "Manageability is very good and probably the most valuable part of a tool of this type. There is a little more of a learning curve than you have with a simple tool, but a business user can learn to manage the system as an administrator very easily."
  • "It could have better built-in integration with a wider variety of extensions out-of-the-box."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is as a portal. This includes B2B portals, B2C portals, and B2E portals. It is good for any of those use cases. We have some solutions which include all three of these portal types in one deployment. It has the capability of providing good functionality for these portal types in a variety of ways. If you just need a marketing website, I'm not sure that you need a solution like Liferay Digital. You can just use WordPress which will serve your purpose in most cases. But if you need a website that has user authentication and you want to have additional functionalities like document storage, processes, forms, and generally more sophistication, you need a solution like Liferay.

It is better to use a portal solution, and not only a content management system. That's my opinion.

What is most valuable?

I think that manageability is very good and probably the most valuable part of a tool of this type. You can manage pages and you can manage the layout of each webpage. You can create templates very easily — content templates or page templates — and you can manage these in one place. It is a page management area. You do not have to go into management areas separately, you do not have to go to secondary pages to manage the system. So it is very easy for the administrative user.

It is very scalable. On one deployment, you can create several solutions. It can be a website, it can be a portal, it can be an internal portal or intranet, and it can be a supplier portal. You can create all these various solutions and more on that one platform.

Customers like it because they do not have separate solutions for all their needs. It is not just for a website, for example. They have a platform that they can use for many use cases at the same time and learn one tool. It is very flexible in that way.

We have done things like putting two user directories in the portal which would allow us to work with several user groups, different user populations, and different kinds of users. One can be an internal user, one can be a supplier, or one can be a business partner. It gave us a good solution for that.

There is a little more of a learning curve than you have with a simple tool, but a business user can learn to manage the system as an administrator very easily. Deployment is not too hard. That is why I think the main advantage of this kind of system is manageability.

What needs improvement?

If you want to do something more lightweight, the effort you need to put in initially might be a bit high for your purposes. The learning curve is too steep if you want to do something simple. It may be better to take something that is more intuitive out-of-the-box like WordPress, or some other very simple content management system. To use Liferay Digital to its potential, you need some skills. For example, you need to know Java to do some more interesting things. I guess that is the main con or disadvantage of this kind of system. If you have those more advanced skills on your staff already, you are in a good position to work with Liferay. If you are a basic web developer or you have a very small organization, I don't think I would work with it. It may be nice if the product were a little easier for the beginner, but not if it is going to dumb-down the product.

I think the marketplace area could be better. Right now it has hundreds of extensions or other third-party solutions. I think if they had thousands of extensions that would be even better in providing more flexibility. I think they should turn more into the field of cognitive solutions. That would mean adding chatbots, adding extensions, adding integration with AI systems like Watson. I would like to see more expansion to make the solution more complete. It could have better built-in integration so users can search for and find things they might want like language analytics, chatbots solution, et cetera. I think they should work on making this possible. I don't see a lot of other platforms with that kind of solution yet. I think the future of content management is going that way. Chatbots is one of the preferred interfaces that customers want rather than web chat or mobile.

Integration might extend to things like Google Drive. We see people working with that a lot. Maybe even more integration with email systems, other Google apps and Office 365. As part of the workplace, we see that users want those systems very tightly integrated. I would also look at integrating with CRM systems like Salesforce or a feature pack that can create a CRM integrated portal. I would look at integrating with cognitive AI services in order to provide the next step of content management systems. That is the way I would expect Liferay to go to from here.

I have been using this solution for about 10 years.

Liferay is not a young solution. It is a very mature product. It has been around since about 2007. Because it is mature it is very stable. From time-to-time, you may need to call support if something does not work as it should. But the company has good support.

This solution is not really suitable for small businesses. Our clients usually are medium-sized and enterprise companies. The smallest company that we are working with that has this kind of solution is about 300 people, and I consider that medium-sized. If you have a company of 50 people who are internal users, I don't think that Liferay Digital is the best solution for you. It is not like taking on a freelancer temporarily so that he builds the website and that is it. You have to maintain the system and you have to know how to manage that.

If they want something more than a simple solution, I think small companies should look something like solutions on the Cloud with built-in functionalities. But, on the other hand, let's say if you are a company of 50 people but you have 50,000 customers. Then you have a significant customer base and you may be able to use Liferay to your advantage. It depends on what you do. If you have extensive work engagement with your customers, that can be a good solution. It has the functionalities to handle more intensive customer relationships.

In any case, it is very scalable both in functionality and the ability to handle a large number of users. It is an enterprise solution.

My experience with the technical support has been very good. I can say for one example we had an issue with the system and we ended up calling them because we were not solving it quickly. Liferay support actually built the same deployment we had in order to reproduce the problem to diagnose it. They actually went all that way in order to understand what the issue was. They managed to give us a solution. It took some time because they really had to do a lot of work around that problem to discover where the issue was. But I don't see that kind of support from other vendors. They went a long way in order to help us. It was a crucial problem and it was not anything standard. If they are willing to do that much they are delivering excellent support.

If you compare Liferay Digital to other portal products, it is really quite simple to set up. Like if you compare it with WebSphere Portal if you compare it to SharePoint if you compare it to other enterprise systems you have in the market, in my experience the setup is fine. You need some skills. But the complexity of the setup comes when you want to build out the solution. Let's say if you are a business user, then it is very easy to work with the system. If you are the tech and you are the one who needs to build out the solution and develop, you need to have skills with Java, you need to understand the J2EE stack, you need to understand working with databases, and all the technical stuff like that. It's not very simple on the development side. But for the normal business user that has to manage the system and not do the development, it is quite easy to do and simple to manage the system.

It usually takes three or four months to deploy this product using three to five technical people on the deployment side. From the client, customer side, usually it would be one or two employees. It depends on the complexity of the solution you need. If the deployment is meant to be a marketing solution, you have to work with the marketing team. If it is going to be something for internal use, you have to work with the appropriate department, like with HR. But the complexity depends on the extent of the deployment, what kind of solution you are going to build. For example, one of the companies we did the deployment for wanted to do B2B, B2C, and B2E. So we had to involve several departments in the deployment. We were working with HR, we had IT, we had the marketing manager, and maybe some other people.

For maintenance after the development — just to maintain the system — if the company has a system administrator, it is really enough. The total amount of time would just be a few dozen hours a month, usually. That is not talking about the stability of the system or disasters and stuff like that. If it is well-built it is usually very stable. Actually some customers do not have to watch their system at all.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people considering this type of solution starts with the fact that we really like this platform and it has worked well for us. If you are a developer, you have a lot of options, services, APIs, and everything is open for your development because it is an open-source product. You can change what you need to. You can put in hooks and actually create the solution your customer would like, or your manager, or whatever the person or the organization you are working for. It provides a very easy way to work and very easy to maintain and manage solutions.

If you need something that is scalable, that needs broader functionality, and you need to develop your own services, then this is an excellent solution. If you just need some simple, dedicated solutions like email, document management, and some web templates, it may be better to use something simple. You should not start working on something like Liferay, or SharePoint, or WebSphere if you only need a dedicated solution. If you need to integrate multiple solutions, that is when something like Liferay is more important.

I think the biggest lesson we learned using Liferay would be not to hesitate to open a support ticket if you have issues. Even if it is not really a product problem and it is more like something in development, you should try contacting support because they can give you a lot of good information about how to really create the solution you need. They have development knowledge on the technical side and, of course, they know the product well.

Other than that, I think you should prepare your team when taking on this kind of project. You need them to have the skills, and they may even need training or something. But once they have the skills and some familiarity with the tool, you can go very fast, create a very good custom solution that fits your needs.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Liferay as an eight-and-a-half. Nine would be okay. I really like the product, probably because I am technical. I think this is the best portal and system you can work with.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, Integrator
RM
IT Consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Open source portal platform for multiple user access, but the integration and configuration need to be simplified

• "We chose Liferay because it is open-source and that we can make any number of users apply, register into the system and use the system, as opposed to other solutions where the cost is based on user licenses. This is one of the most attractive features."
  • "The integration and configuration need to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We have two primary use cases for this solution between two installations. One is being used as a national business portal, and the other is used as an archival and preservation system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the content manager, where you can configure events, the archival and preservation feature, and the workflow feature where before the document is scanned and awaiting approval to be archived, the chief archivist can provide an opinion of whether the content is of preservation value or archival value. He puts a comment in the workflow.

We chose Liferay because it is open-source and that we can make any number of users apply, register into the system and use the system, as opposed to other solutions where the cost is based on user licenses.  This is one of the most attractive features.

What needs improvement?

The integration area needs to be improved. It needs to be more user-friendly.

The integration and configuration need to be simplified. If for example, I had to configure the application to a payment module, especially in the business licensing system, it would be better if we could have a feature that would require less code to enable easy integration with other systems.

The end-user requires training, some knowledge transfer is needed. It has been proven to be a challenge, because we don't have any in Tanzania, and we don't have a data center for Liferay.

In the next release, the integration capabilities need to be easier to use by someone who is not as technical. Also, when it comes to troubleshooting, the logs need to be published on a page that's easier to use rather than going to a folder somewhere.

I have been using this solution since 2016.

We are using Enterprise Edition 6 and I know that it is not the latest edition available, but so far, this edition of this solution is stable. We have not experienced any issues. Later, with an increased number of users, there may be some issues. We don't know, but for now, it's good.

Anyone in Tanzania who wants to register for a business license has to log into the system. There are many users. Just to give you some statistics 30,000 people have applied for business licenses and 8,000 have been issued. The remainder 20,000+ are waiting for their applications that are still in the workflow.

The reason Liferay Digital Experience was chosen over other products was the fact that we did not have to pay for user licenses. Liferay supported an infinite number of users.

The business case for the application was the business community in Tanzania to be able to register in the portal and apply for a business license. So however much the users of the system grow we are confident Liferay shall handle the load without any issues

So in terms of scalability, my answer is that Liferay is okay.

In terms of hardware we have multiple servers. The setup we had was for purposes of having improved responsiveness and availability.

We have not received support from Liferay because we have done everything through the integrator. We would prefer to have our people trained than getting support from Liferay itself.

This is something we are working on at the SLA level.

As a national business portal, it is used as a content management solution and we have not used any other solution. For the archival and preservation system, we used an application called Saperion Enterprise Content Management System.

When compared to Saperion Enterprise Content Management System it can support more users without having an impact on the cost. That was favorable for us because we need any researcher anywhere in the world to be able to access the Tanzania  National Archive without having any cost on the software. We chose Liferay mainly because of that.

Based on the document specifications, it was time-consuming because of the nature of the deployment.

Before even looking at Liferay, the system requirements took six months because we use different stakeholders from different government institutions and other stakeholders from the private sector.

The configuration of Liferay took six weeks.

Another task that took a lot of time was deployment because once it was set up, different people had to start testing the application. This took a lot of time because all of the different stakeholders had to be given time to test it.

Overall, it took a year, with ten staff to deploy and maintain.

We haven't had any issues with our deployment of Liferay.

We used Melink to help with the implementation. The experience with them was fair.

It's an open-source structure.

The licensing cost was a one-off. Other costs are for professional services to integrate Liferay to other existing systems. Those are the main costs and also costs related to deployment, setting up the load balancing, and later on having to configure the disaster recovery site. These are all related costs to the deployment of Liferay in different scenarios.

We knew of applications like Drupal, but we did some research through Google. We settled on Liferay because of it's open-source functionality and our end-user was keen on getting an open-source platform. It was exactly what Liferay offered.

We didn't have extensive comparison tests with other platforms or applications.

What other advice do I have?

With any application, the number one thing is to get the requirements-gathering stage done well, to identify your requirements to do your analysis properly.

The requirements gathering needs to be very thorough and all-inclusive. All stakeholders need to be involved.

Get a good company for the implementation.

You must have the proper hardware sizing.

I would recommend Liferay for any company that is looking at deploying an enterprise-wide content management system. I would recommend Liferay any day, anytime.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Liferay, Microsoft, Drupal and others in Web Content Management. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RinaldoBonazzo
Software Factory Manager at RealT Technology
Easy to install, customize, and use

• "The solution is easy to install."
  • "The documentation provided needs to be more detailed. It's sometimes hard to develop things because the documentation is so sparse."

What is our primary use case?

We have developed some outlets to manage some specific requirements for public administration and we use this solution to assist.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to install.

There's a lot of plugins. It's an enterprise-level solution that is ready to use almost immediately and users can immediately share and collaborate once they've installed the application.

It's one of the best platforms I've used.

What needs improvement?

The documentation provided needs to be more detailed. It's sometimes hard to develop things because the documentation is so sparse.

The forums should have more content and cover more areas of the solution. It's also not so easy to navigate through it.

I like to participate on some of Liferay's symposiums in Italy. We've found the company to be managing the architecture in Italy quite well, and we've been quite satisfied with them.

I've also worked on Tableau, which is a social platform. Tableau is quite lightweight and easy to use, but the community is smaller. Liferay has a big community at the moment.

The initial setup is straightforward. We found it to be quite easy to install, and very quick.

Liferay is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is quite expensive, and, in the Italian market, it may be a barrier to entry for many companies.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a good platform that's easy to install and easy to start to use. It's also easy to customize if you are only going to customize some CSR. Although I've never tested it, I know now that it's possible to have access to more direct APIs.

PreetiS
Leader -Platform Development & Testing at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
I have seen multiple projects where Enterprise portals are implemented using Liferay. The main reasons to choose Liferay as a platform for enterprise portal development are -  1. It is open source and cost effective  2. it has OOTB supplort for many common functionality like File uplaod, MEdia, Loing, User Roles and Authentication, which reduces the development time and effectively results in less time to market the application.  3. It supports JSR industry standards like JSR 168, 286, JSR 283 and other many industry standards which helps the application development as well as integration with any third party spftware very easy.  4. Liferay provides very good framework for customization of the portal. it is very easy to understand and implement.  5. The Overall liferay product…

1. It is open source and cost effective

5. The Overall liferay product is designed to be developer friendly. IT does not have any IDE per say. but anyone can use their existing IDEs to create Liferay projects. There is no need to understand the working of new IDE - which is required if we go for other Industry leading Licensed Portal products like IBM, Oracle Portal.

6. Liferay comes in multiple flavours - community edition, entrprise edition - which can be used by any Small and Medium size organizations.

7. There is ongoing support from Liferay community to fix and troubleshoot any issues.

8. The Administrative UI which comes with Liferay is very intuitve and easy to use. Which reduces the Admin work dramatically.

Hence I feel Liferay has an advantage over other Licensed portal products like IBM/Oracle/SAP portal.

MM
Communications head at a university with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
An open-source enterprise portal that's easy-to-use

• "The look and feel and the user interface are great."
  • "The plugins should be more affordable."

What is most valuable?

We like Likeray because it's a secure platform.

The look and feel and the user interface are great.

What needs improvement?

PHP offers more plugins than Liferay. The plugins should be more affordable.

Liferay needs to offer more in terms of updates and development. WordPress is constantly offering new updates and new features; I hardly see that with Liferay — although, it could be because we don't have an enterprise license.

Also, an e-commerce plugin tool would be a nice feature.

We have been using Liferay for at least three years.

Compared to WordPress, I hardly experience any issues or bugs.

For us, the initial setup was very complex — It's in Java. In Malaysia, there are not a lot of Java writers or developers.

Licensing costs can be very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Liferay to another company, but the price cannot be overlooked. Maintaining a license can be a hefty investment.

Due to the licensing and plugin costs, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Private Cloud