Liferay Digital Experience Platform Overview

Liferay Digital Experience Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Digital Experience Platforms. It is most often compared to Drupal: Liferay Digital Experience Platform vs Drupal

What is Liferay Digital Experience Platform?
Liferay Digital Experience Platform is an enterprise-grade platform that enables companies to create and connect personalized digital experiences across web, mobile, social, in store and other touchpoints. It provides the technical foundation (deep integration, security and modularity) for your digital business to orchestrate unique customer experiences, as well as business value features to support a deeper understanding of your customers.

Liferay Digital Experience Platform is also known as Liferay DXP.

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Liferay Digital Experience Platform Customers
Adidas, Carrefour, Cisco Systems, Danone, Fujitsu, Lufthansa Flight Training, Siemens, Société Générale and the United Nations
Liferay Digital Experience Platform Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

HK
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enables easy incorporation into the portal

What is most valuable?

It allows us to arrange and develop new ideas, then incorporate them into the portal. We can create a one stop information center, so people can access the information from one window. It also allows us to actively receive data from different systems and publish it into the portal.

What needs improvement?

It could be improved in terms of adding filters to some of the rules. Therefore, you can retain how long a document would need to stay in an archive.

It is a bit expensive.
FS
Product Manager at Liberty University
User
The web/mobile/portal integration reduced our development time

What is our primary use case?

Student and staff facing self-serve portal with customized relevant data based on user's affiliation with the university.

• "The web/mobile/portal integration was one of the features that we found most valuable, primarily because it reduced our development time."
    Find out what your peers are saying about Liferay, Microsoft, Drupal and others in Web Content Management. Updated: May 2021.
    501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Social collaboration and OSGi framework are valuable features. There should be less documentation about the differences.

What other advice do I have?

Identify the business problems due to which you are looking for a digital platform, then compare the product features with those business problems, in order to make a wiser decision. It is, still, maturing as a platform.
    Full Stack Software Developer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has a built-in WCMS and provides the ability to develop complex portlet-based web applications. The documentation could be better.

What is most valuable?

It has a built-in WCMS (web content management system) and provides the ability to develop complex portlet-based web applications. That's valuable because it is Java/Java EE-based and open source.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be better.

I have used Liferay for three years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Setup was easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Hire developers with a high level of expertise with Liferay Portal.
    Sr. Technology Architect / Senior Mgr at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides OOTB support for SPA. It still has a long way to cover in terms of campaign management, audience targeting, DAM, etc.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product for small- and mid-scale implementations and for the enterprises who are starting on their digital journey. It has a great story to tell right from being horizontal portal development platform to a digital experience platform. However, it is not very strong yet to be used for completely marketing-oriented implementations. It is okay to use for a pre-customer journey and presents a very strong case for a post-customer journey.
    Head of Liferay Competence Center at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Allows us to extend its CMS, site management, and workflow features.

What other advice do I have?

Find professionals with real expertise in Liferay in the different areas of developers and operations to avoid common mistakes. They should have experience in at least two real production implementations.
    Master Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The open API Architecture allows you to maximize aggregation and back-end integration.

What other advice do I have?

Do a Proof of Concept (PoC).
    Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Integrates with other ecosystems. More quality improvement is required.

What other advice do I have?

It’s fast, easy, scalable, and stable with a competitive price. Go for it.
    Senior Technology Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    The document library, built-in Kaleo Workflow engine, and CMS are very useful features. It could have better stability and performance tuning.

What other advice do I have?

It is a wonderful open-source product that has many out-of-the-box features. However, the initial learning is important and the curve is steeper. Someone has to learn about the Liferay Portlets, Ext, Hooks, Themes, Layout, and make use of the knowledge properly for actual implementation. It has great support for the different Java frameworks such as the Spring Web MVC framework, Java collections framework (JCF), and the front-end frameworks, namely Angular. Make your choice as you wish.
    Head Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Gives us the ability to control web content within a structured version system.

What other advice do I have?

If your goal is to develop a new system, start small and use the knowledge you already have to leverage the frameworks and libraries that come with Liferay. Modularity is the key with Liferay, and small modules will build big systems. If you come from old versions, with time, start transitioning to OSGi instead of the old Liferay plugins. OSGi offers a greater flexibility with a consistency that is not seen in the old formats. If you are new to Liferay, I would advise going straight to the modular approach and learn Liferay’s conventions to apply them to your code. They are simple and will…
    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The most valuable feature is modularity. The product helps to create websites.

What other advice do I have?

Utilize its modularization feature to its best, to make it an easily extendible and scalable enterprise solution.
    Senior IT Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    API programming and asset publishing are the most important features.

What is most valuable?

API programming and asset publishing are the most important features.

What needs improvement?

Documentation is an issue and needs to be improved. Asset publishing can be a bit complicated, but once you have some running, it gets easier.

I have been using Liferay since 2012, starting with Liferay 6.1.

The earlier version, 6.1, had performance issues. These were solved from 6.2 and up.

I have not had any scalability issues so far. It is easy to cluster, if your application has a heavy load.

I have never used technical support. The documentation online could…
    Technical Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We use this product for site, page, and content creation.

What other advice do I have?

The EE version is much more secure than the CE version. Lately, the CE version has become a little unstable and fixes mostly come quite late in the version cycle. Keeping that in mind, if you are looking for a complete portal solution with security and ease of set-up, then go for it. Even for hosting multiple sites, this could be much better. But make sure that the pricing fits your bill.
    Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Has features for collaboration and social integration. It needs to provide more room for the content contributors.

What other advice do I have?

If you need to build enterprise solutions with digital experience, then this product fulfills all the requirements from customization, custom development, integration, and configuration.
    AEM Solution Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    I value the portlets, OSGi modularity, and the tools for developers.

What other advice do I have?

It might sound trivial, but plan all the project phases, in terms of infrastructure and performance testing, well. Liferay starting from DXP redesign the full software architecture using OSGI (actually since 6.2 is integrated but just for small integration points). With this new design, they gain the possibility to updates released version more frequently and also "components by components." From a point of view of a developer this is a great improvement by the way after first general available release. Liferay also released public documentation, allowing developers build custom plugin and…
    Technical Architect at Azilen Technologies Pvt Ltd
    I like the method of customization and the security it offers.

What other advice do I have?

From enterprise intranet website requirements to a public facing website that receives heavy traffic, Liferay passes all tests and checks off your requirements. Using Liferay Portal, you do not just get open source and bring down the cost of software, but you also get total implementation time decreased as well. Liferay has a large and responsible community to support you throughout your implementation.
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    I like the control panel features. The front-end technologies need improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Liferay, Version 7, gives OSGI implementation. This is the future of Java technologies. Liferay enables you to stay with latest technologies with each version release.
    Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Does asset publishing and page management. I would like to see better documentation.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead with Liferay DXP. There is a lot of expertise in the market with this product. It is arguably the best Java-based portal platform out there.
    EA to the President/Office Manager at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    We only use it for internal, departmental websites. We found it difficult to upload documents.

What is most valuable?

We only use it for internal, departmental websites. It helped us migrate our company’s EA website from SharePoint to Liferay.

How has it helped my organization?

It has increased communication between the departments and their employees.

What needs improvement?

We found it difficult to upload documents. It seemed unnecessarily complex.

I have used this solution for three years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Unfortunately, our company only allowed certain individuals to access Liferay technical support. For any kind…
    Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Portlet development technology promotes re-usability of code. Theme development is tough for UI guys.

What other advice do I have?

Check your requirements and license costs. If you are going with a licensed version, try to map your functionalities with Liferay. Then decide whether you need Liferay or not.
    Senior Liferay Portal/Web Developer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    With the roles and permissions management, developers have the ability to build persona- and preference-based functionality​.

What other advice do I have?

Have a complete understanding of out-of-the-box features as Liferay makes most of the functionality required available without any customization.
    IT Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We get better communication between team members and faster access to documents.

What other advice do I have?

Liferay is highly scalable and more complex than Drupal. For the same quality, you need more Microsoft solutions, so more servers and more capacity.
    Managing Director with 51-200 employees
    Solution for project implementations including documentation management.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest getting this product. It is easy to use and has a big impact to reduce implementation time. It is not just a product solution. It also has excellent features as a development platform.
    Liferay Solution Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides content aggregation and personalization. Only the simple, straightforward cases are documented.

What other advice do I have?

Only use it when you really need a portal and don't use it as an application framework. In that case, it only complicates your development and performance needlessly. We tried the 'eat your own dog food' approach and used Liferay for our company's website, but Liferay just isn't meant to build websites. It wasn't easy/simple enough for normal web content editors to add or change content. It is also hard for our designers to create cutting edge designs that can be easily integrated into Liferay as a theme.
    Senior Technical Specialist at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    nables non-technical staff to add/update content that is approved by content approvers in a workflow. I wish it would stop scanning for each language.

What other advice do I have?

If possible, go for the enterprise version as they will have more support.
    Liferay Portals Technical Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    We can extend its functionality and customize it to meet our customers' requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Go with this product, because there is great support from the company, rich forum support and online documentation, and the source code allows you to make changes on your own with an LGPL license from vendor.
    Java EE Developer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Management and permissions according to user, role, and group. The core code base needs refactoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would emphasize using Liferay’s OOTB features so you don’t build something that already exists. Also, make sure you actually need the features it provides.
    LifeRay Functional Lead at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    You can create your own secure service bus for information. We always have issues with Social Office.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand what you want the product to do. If your company has an overall future for growth, then Liferay is a good choice as it is an enterprise solution.
    Liferay Portal Expert at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides audience targeting tools and the Screens feature is interesting.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you want to extend the product, don't recreate existing functionalities or libraries. Just follow the guidelines and best practices.
    Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It offers a CMS, role-based permissions, and hierarchy-of-organization community management.

What other advice do I have?

For normal sites, we can use other available options, such as PHP. But Liferay is good for enterprise and large-scale systems, especially role and hierarchy management systems, or when you have multi-site requirements.
    Lead Software Professional at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Administration functions are available from the control panel.

What other advice do I have?

It is just awesome; you should experience DXP. I am blogging many useful solution on www.liferaysolution.com
    CEO & Co-Founder at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Our customers demand features such as Workflow Engine and Content Management System. They are more robust than the competition.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very secure, robust, and highly scalable. It can also be customized to almost any extent.
    Liferay/Java Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It can create multiple sites from a single installation and supports multiple-file upload to the document library.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product wisely. The Liferay team has made this product to the mark. As of now, the technology is up-to-date and fulfills all essential requirements.
    Senior Application Developer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    It provides web content and user management.

What other advice do I have?

100% go for it.
    Chief Executive Officer at a government with 51-200 employees
    The product has helped our members and communities to freely connect, share knowledge, develop initiatives and share expertise in a secure environment.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time, Liferay can do so many different things and can be very complex. So be clear on what you are building.
    Information Systems Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    You can create and manage dozens of sites with a single installation of Liferay, without a single line of Java code.
    IT – Consultant / Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Big benefit is in relation to cost but there are a lot of areas which could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features is Java based platform and JSR portlet for development.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided one place for integration.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of possibilities for improvement in several areas.

I have been using Liferay since 2007

Yes, a wide range of issues.

Yes, in most of our big projects.

Yes, both horizontal and vertical.

Customer Service: Customer service is very high. Technical Support: Technical support depends on the…