Liferay Digital Experience Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Liferay Digital Experience Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Digital Experience Platforms. It is most often compared to Drupal: Liferay Digital Experience Platform vs Drupal

What is Liferay Digital Experience Platform?
Liferay Digital Experience Platform is an enterprise-grade platform that enables companies to create and connect personalized digital experiences across web, mobile, social, in store and other touchpoints. It provides the technical foundation (deep integration, security and modularity) for your digital business to orchestrate unique customer experiences, as well as business value features to support a deeper understanding of your customers.

Liferay Digital Experience Platform is also known as Liferay DXP.

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Liferay Digital Experience Platform Customers
Adidas, Carrefour, Cisco Systems, Danone, Fujitsu, Lufthansa Flight Training, Siemens, Société Générale and the United Nations
Liferay Digital Experience Platform Video

Archived Liferay Digital Experience Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

JL
Owner at Revenue
Leaderboard
Has a straightforward setup

What is most valuable?

I think that it could be interesting to expand the eCommerce capabilities to the B2C sector.

What needs improvement?

Social areas and capabilities need improvement. If you compare this product with Jive or other standard social business platforms, Liferay has room to improve in terms of reusability, functions, and capabilities. Jive and other leading social business company platforms all have a lot of add-ons. Liferay could add some social add-ons.

I have used this solution for one year.

Compared to other platforms the initial setup is not very complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for one year.

Compared to other platforms the initial setup is not very complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

HK
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enables easy incorporation into the portal

What is most valuable?

It allows us to arrange and develop new ideas, then incorporate them into the portal. We can create a one stop information center, so people can access the information from one window. It also allows us to actively receive data from different systems and publish it into the portal.

What needs improvement?

It could be improved in terms of adding filters to some of the rules. Therefore, you can retain how long a document would need to stay in an archive.

It is a bit expensive.

It is a bit expensive.

Find out what your peers are saying about Liferay, Microsoft, Drupal and others in Web Content Management. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FS
Product Manager at Liberty University
User
The web/mobile/portal integration reduced our development time

• "The web/mobile/portal integration was one of the features that we found most valuable, primarily because it reduced our development time."

What is our primary use case?

Student and staff facing self-serve portal with customized relevant data based on user's affiliation with the university.

How has it helped my organization?

Current management decided not to convert our student portal (Liferay 6.1) to Liferay DXP.  Instead, we opted for an in-house developed solution coded with Java and Aurelia with centralized data libraries accessible via APIs, Web Services, etc.  This provided our developers the unlimited ability to customize a lightweight solution which integrates with our SIS and other business/web applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Since we did not implement the product, I do not have a suggestion for improvement.

Trial/evaluations only.

Their pricing model should be modified to include per user options instead of just servers/cores, etc.

it_user556665
    Senior Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Social collaboration and OSGi framework are valuable features. There should be less documentation about the differences.

What is most valuable?

Liferay's social collaboration and the OSGi framework are valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it to create the customer experience platform.

What needs improvement?

There should be less documentation about the differences and migration from the older versions is a must.

I am using Liferay for more than two years and the Liferay Digital Experience Platform(DXP) for around six months.

For fresh installations, no significant issues have been noted. However, there are major issues when migrating from older versions.

There were no scalability issues as of now.

Since Liferay DXP is relatively new, the support is also improving mainly, in terms of helping migration.

Liferay was mainly selected by me due to its collaboration and the digital features that help to make the digital platforms very strong for the customers.

For new installations, the setup is simple; but again migrations for the old version are a nightmare.

Liferay has some good licensing options, i.e., on the user-basis and server-basis. Thus, it works out good options based on your needs.

Before selecting Liferay in 2014, I evaluated the Oracle WebLogic Portal, the JBoss Portal, and the IBM WebSphere Portal.

What other advice do I have?

Identify the business problems due to which you are looking for a digital platform, then compare the product features with those business problems, in order to make a wiser decision.

It is, still, maturing as a platform.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner with Liferay in the UK as well as in the U.S.
    Full Stack Software Developer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has a built-in WCMS and provides the ability to develop complex portlet-based web applications. The documentation could be better.

What is most valuable?

It has a built-in WCMS (web content management system) and provides the ability to develop complex portlet-based web applications. That's valuable because it is Java/Java EE-based and open source.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be better.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Setup was easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Hire developers with a high level of expertise with Liferay Portal.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be better.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Setup was easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Hire developers with a high level of expertise with Liferay Portal.

it_user544041
    Sr. Technology Architect / Senior Mgr at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides OOTB support for SPA. It still has a long way to cover in terms of campaign management, audience targeting, DAM, etc.

What is most valuable?

• Overall modularity in architecture
    • OOTB support for SPA
    • Enhancements in marketing experience: user segmentation, targeting, analytics, single customer view, enhanced UI, and content management capabilities

How has it helped my organization?

Considering the overall drive towards providing a digital experience to clients, to provide a connected experience, federated touchpoints, dynamic personalization, customer context and interactions, the product has evolved very strongly from just being a horizontal portal system into a digital experience platform. Newer modular architecture and in-built SPA experience is rightly following the current trends in the market.

What needs improvement?

Aspects of Campaign management and audience targeting is fast maturing, where the experience tracked in online channels are feeding into the offline journeys and influencing the content promoted from that channel and vice versa the learnings from offline channels like (email) through composite campaign tracking and optimizations cycles gives newer areas of segmentation which can be fed back to online channels for a omni-potent personalization and content targeting approach.

Other competitor product lines are absorbing the complete cycle of this fast changing dynamic offering management coaxed with 360 view of customer to fuel in some of the immersive experience offering, this is a space where Liferay DXP still need to venture and explore the scenarios on how the current great abilities of campaign and audience management can be tied back to such situations and provide a complete online-offline personalization experience which is consistent, trackable and ever evolving with customer view feedback to strike that right winning content user is looking to convert.

On further note to explain DAM and the abilities on the same, it’s again a space which has several flavours of existence. DAM within a Portal or CMS system is just good for the marketers who want to have an integrated platform to manage medium volumes of simplistic assets for web journey authoring, but as we unfold this obvious world of things, there is an abyss of requirements features which can be offered to become an Enterprise DAM offering, to name few will be ability to transform assets (especially media assets) based on bandwidth, renditions, panoramic view generations, mixed media assets, video trackings and recommendations, asset monetization along with further maturing into copyright management spiralling into Information rights management within these systems. (this is just one quick example to pick within the Enterprise DAM abilities)

Other competitors in this space has started to carve out variations of DAM for small to large scale enterprise implementations and have started to offer their product lines as distinctive offerings , small to mid scale DAM (implicit within the portals, CMS platform), large scale standalone variation of the offering as standalone enterprise DAM, Renditions and Transformation Management Advance Media Management Systems and Cloud DAM offering best of breed solutions between features of a DAM and a MAM (Media Asset Management) solutions. These variations helps customer make the right choice from the offerings available and strike the right balancing cord to decide what will be the best fit in their ecosystem. DAM offering from Liferay is still an experience which falls into the first variation of offering (small to mid-scale DAM offering) from within platform which need to scale into larger aspects of Enterprise DAM so as to be competing strongly with similar offerings in market by other niche DAM as well as Enterprise Experience players.

I have used the product for 10 months.

This one is a major release from the previous one with lots of changes at the API level and at the environment level, so a certain level of issues with stability are observed with existing plugins, some APIs, hooks and audience targeting.

We haven’t yet encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 3.5 out of 5.

We switched because of the cost, flexibility with Liferay, and ease of use.

Initial setup was very easy. You just unzip the package and you are set to go.

Licensing follows the dual licensing model and the Community edition is completely open source (with LGPL). The Enterprise edition follows EULA licensing. Please read carefully to understand the intellectual property-specific constraints.

Before choosing, we also evaluated Drupal (open source) and Adobe AEM (proprietary).

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product for small- and mid-scale implementations and for the enterprises who are starting on their digital journey. It has a great story to tell right from being horizontal portal development platform to a digital experience platform. However, it is not very strong yet to be used for completely marketing-oriented implementations. It is okay to use for a pre-customer journey and presents a very strong case for a post-customer journey.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Alliance partnership with this vendor
    Head of Liferay Competence Center at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Allows us to extend its CMS, site management, and workflow features.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility to fit our business requirements under many different scenarios, from simple public web sites to customer or distributor portal solutions and intranets.
    • As a J2EE and open source platform, this product allow us to extend its out-of-the-box features such as CMS, sites management, permissions, workflows, security system, mobile framework, etc. We can do this in a well-defined way by using custom plugins developed in Java with standard tools and J2EE specifications.
    • Full support for enterprise systems integrations. Liferay allows us to integrate with our company systems, for instance, IAM, EIP, Web Services. It creates custom plugins or uses the OOTB integrations, like Siteminder, LDAP, CAS, SAML, and Amazon S3.
    • Flexibility about the ecosystem, as you can choose between many configurations and products for Liferay installation. For example, Database (Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL Server), App Servers (Tomcat, JBoss, WebSphere, WebLogic), according to its certificated and supported compatibility matrix.

How has it helped my organization?

A good example in my organization (insurance sector) is that we can implement public, customer, and distributor portals for many countries with different requirements, in many different languages (including Greek or Arabic, flipping the full page reading).

Business people can manage the web content/pages and targeted campaigns including SEO for different user segments. This is possible by implementing custom components to guide the final clients through the purchase funnel to buy insurance policies. It can also provide customer tools, such as accident party reporting, and capture new leads to send them to the CRM system.

In our company, each country can have different backend solutions for CRM, IAM, quotation engines, etc. All these combinations are well supported by Liferay as a front-end solution including responsive design, tracking actions, analytics, etc.

Another good point was the acceleration around the built solutions. We created a reusable internal marketplace to share "Functional Assets" defined by the business, with many countries, adapting a few things like translations.

With this approach, any country is able to launch new features on their web sites with less cost, by just reusing the functional assets from other countries where they want to generate new opportunities.

What needs improvement?

• Business centricity with more tools relating to SEO and content targeting, for instance, cookie management to collect web data, etc.
    • Staging and LARs export/import features. This is always a pain in Liferay with many errors caused mostly by some inconsistent data in the database. It should be improved for sure, because this is a very interesting feature for business people, and currently, it is very hard to use it.
    • Provide official Docker images as a production distributable solution. The trend is to go to PaaS based solutions as container platforms, and Liferay doesn't provide this kind of option OOTB.
    • Architecture based in distributed/remote micro-services with containers. The idea of "break the monolith" at the application layer using OSGi is OK, but it's still running in a unique JVM as a whole. I think it is still a monolithic approach.
    • Liferay Connecting Service (LCS) needs to improve to support the elastic licensing and be ready for container support. It needs some UI improvements, such as server management or subscription to environment options which have certain limitations.
    • Official training should be improved, by creating upgraded short courses for people who already know Liferay technology.
    • The official certification lost interest for me personally, since people can buy the exam answers on the Internet. I think Liferay should fight against this practice, because I cannot trust people who have a Liferay certificate, and it reduces the value of my own efforts to obtain the certification.

I was working with Liferay solutions for 14 years, using all Enterprise versions of the product from older ones, previous Enterprise Edition releases, to the latest DXP version.

As with any product, there are stability issues at times. However, working side by side with the official support, we minimized any risk to reduce the business impact as much as possible.

We haven't yet encountered any scalability issues, except in previous versions, such as v6.2. When we used the search index replication over 6GB of size with two nodes, it was too heavy to move in between the cluster and it failed. It gave us, as a result, a corrupt index and lost results in searches.

I would give the technical support a rating 10/10. It is effective against bugs, with engineers replying to tickets very quickly. In the resolution, they provide you with patches in order to resolve issues as soon as possible.

You can count on different levels of support, according your requirements and budget.

I am not aware of any previous solutions in my current company. I worked with WordPress and Drupal, and I switched to Liferay for the integration capabilities using Java standards and flexibility.

Installation is easy, but preparing it for production mode is a bit more complex. I've found a lot of people in the market who can install Liferay, but the real problem is not the installation itself. The issue is to install it correctly and tune the product well by doing load tests and fine tuning Liferay and the JVM.

Another very important factor is to follow best practices in your development. My experience says that 90% of the performance issues came from the custom developments, where developers do not follow the recommendations and best practices, or use the product in a bad way.

For this reason, my company wrote a Liferay Best Practices book to share with any internal or external developers. We implemented a certification process to ensure stability, best practices, software quality, architecture, and security guidelines in order to avoid production issues.

DXP subscription is cheaper than other products on the market.

The license/subscription is associated to the number of Liferay instances, CPU cores, and level of support (Gold, Platinum).

I recommend that you talk with your Liferay Account Manager and establish a plan according your needs.

We evaluated Oracle Portal, WordPress, and Drupal.

What other advice do I have?

Find professionals with real expertise in Liferay in the different areas of developers and operations to avoid common mistakes. They should have experience in at least two real production implementations.

it_user643905
    Master Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The open API Architecture allows you to maximize aggregation and back-end integration.

What is most valuable?

I headed up the Accenture Global Portal Practice from 2011 to 2016. I led the delivery of enterprise portals for our customers. Customers liked this portal software platform because:

• No VC funding
    • Open Source platform with no stack agenda
    • Can run in any existing infrastructure with low cost of adoption
    • Over 70 OOTB bundled features
    • Open API Architecture allows you to maximize aggregation and back-end integration
    • Multi-channel experiences with Liferay themes
    • Audience targeting
    • In VM Micro-services platform
    • OSGi modularized reusable components
    • Elasticssearch
    • Liferay Experience Language (Lexicon). Fluid, extensible, built on Bootstrap 3, and written in Saas. Keeping is simple, consistent, and efficient
    • Business process enabled forms

How has it helped my organization?

There are multiple examples of how it improved our business. It allows, from the user perspective, a single look and feel, as well as a consistent user experience.

What needs improvement?

• The documentation can be more detailed and better structured. A lot of the information is very often obtained by posting questions to the community or reaching out to Liferay support.
    • It lacks true multi-tenant support.
    • Liferay is missing features that would seamlessly integrate with cloud features such as auto-scaling, the ability to isolate a tenant to a specific instance, and cloud integrated notifications.

I have used this product for five years.

Stability is very dependent on architecture and testing. Proper architecture and testing directly relates to the stability of the product. This includes error handling design.

Scalability is also very dependent on the architecture and proper performance testing. Using portal farms enable linear scalability. Proper performance testing allows the elimination of bottlenecks.

Technical support was excellent.

As a portal practice, we are vendor agnostic.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Pricing and licensing are competitive.

What other advice do I have?

Do a Proof of Concept (PoC).

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Premier Partner Please note that this is a personal review.
    it_user643896
    Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Integrates with other ecosystems. More quality improvement is required.

What is most valuable?

• Scalable
    • Easily integrates with other ecosystems
    • Fast
    • User-friendly
    • Speedy development

What needs improvement?

As it is open source, it has lots of features and it is constantly updating. Therefore, bugs also keep coming. More quality improvement is required.

I have used this product for the last seven years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support was good.

We previously deployed WebLogic, but we moved to Liferay because it offered a range of out-of-box features. It was also faster than WebLogic.

The setup was easy.

Pricing is less expensive and structured in comparison to other paid portals.

As mentioned earlier, we used WebLogic.

What other advice do I have?

It’s fast, easy, scalable, and stable with a competitive price. Go for it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Platinum Partner
    Aritra Ghosh
    Senior Technology Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    The document library, built-in Kaleo Workflow engine, and CMS are very useful features. It could have better stability and performance tuning.

What is most valuable?

The very first and important feature of Liferay is that it is open-source and can be extended as per the requirements.

I would like to mention about the Hooks/Ext plugins that I have extensively used to adapt Liferay as the solution, in order to reach the business requirements.

The document library, built-in Kaleo Workflow engine, and CMS (Content Management System) are very useful features.

They can be modified/extended at any level.

Overall, it provides easy scalability and integration with the third-party system/APIs like OAuth, social media, and Salesforce. In turn, it provides a great benefit by reducing development time and effort.

How has it helped my organization?

As mentioned above, we have done social media integration for SSO (LinkedIn, Facebook) easily. We have integrated with Salesforce CRM and we used the Liferay CMS feature for authoring and publishing content in a flawless way.

The Liferay document library provided a smooth way to manage assets and documents, even for large volumes.

What needs improvement?

It could have better stability and performance tuning.

Support provided for the Enterprise Edition is really poor. The support is poor because of the delayed response and less-technology support provided.

Sometimes, the customer needs more troubleshooting from the vendor, especially in the initial period, i.e., while setting up the development platform or deployment environment.

I have not only used this solution, but I have also done development with Liferay for around three years.

We did encounter stability issues. The initial version of 6.2 had stability issues. Later, with the advance builds, it became better.

There were no scalability issues.

The technical support is really poor. But we did not face many issues, as it is an open-source product.

Initially, we were using the IBM WebSphere Portal. However, we switched over to Liferay because of its lower licensing costs, obviously.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. The setup process is well documented in the official site. But the development curve is steeper and the documentation could be better.

Liferay has both the Community and Enterprise Editions. The Community Edition is free and we have used it too. The Enterprise Edition comes with a few extra features. This should be actually driven by the requirements.

We evaluated Alfresco (open source software) and Adobe Experience Manager, as alternatives. However, we have used the latter as well, for some other project.

What other advice do I have?

It is a wonderful open-source product that has many out-of-the-box features. However, the initial learning is important and the curve is steeper.

Someone has to learn about the Liferay Portlets, Ext, Hooks, Themes, Layout, and make use of the knowledge properly for actual implementation.

It has great support for the different Java frameworks such as the Spring Web MVC framework, Java collections framework (JCF), and the front-end frameworks, namely Angular. Make your choice as you wish.

Victor De Lima Soares, M.S.
    Head Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Gives us the ability to control web content within a structured version system.

What is most valuable?

The ability to control web content within a structured version system and its unique capability to receive extension modules and plugins. The extension power makes this software a great ally for building new systems.

I usually see this platform as a Swiss Army Knife for building new features. I also see it as a starting point for assembling new systems from modules and apps, just like we do when playing with Lego blocks.

Support for Java 8 and OSGi are also extremely attractive capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

Information and content are the key elements. Using Liferay to control our web content allows us to have a centralized information hub.

We can discuss, contribute, and review pieces of content as it evolves with time. All this occurs while the platform enforces the correct workflow, and allows web content, media, and file distribution in a consistent manner.

The content management features are simple to understand and make collaboration easy.

On the development side, the platform acts as a great framework which makes engineering processes and projects faster.

Lots of common features are implemented in Liferay. Implementing new functionality might just be a matter of organizing services provided by the platform.

Building specific logic is also trivial. The ability to receive OSGi modules is natural in this version.

What needs improvement?

Although it has been improving, I cannot shake the feeling that it was released too early. It came with several problems, and new releases came extremely fast to correct the previous ones. Now, in its GA3, the differences are noticeable between the general release and the master source code.

The correction of issues take too long to arrive, unless a license is acquired, which seems a bit odd for an open-source project.

The bottom line is that it is too early for general adoption, as a GA4 is clearly needed.

A second issue would be around documentation. For some time, this has been one of my main complaints around Liferay. The learning curve seems to be high as the platform is immense and extremely flexible. Thus, it is only natural that some complexity is involved in using it to its full potential.

However, the documentation for developers is incomplete and there is a strong reliance on GitHub.

The previous version even had a great book to support developers. We can see that the development documentation in the web site is evolving, but it still has formatting issues and has a long way to go to reflect the greatness of the project.

Any developer familiar with the platform and with its source knows that there is a hidden power that is still to be documented.

I have used this since its release in 2016 (Liferay 7), and for two additional years in its previous versions.

I have ten years of experience as a developer using the frameworks that come with Liferay and several of the supporting libraries.

We had some stability issues, but only in upgrades. However, I would say this is changing as the product matures.

Liferay 7 is changing a lot with time, and they put a lot of effort to avoid breaking code.

The last big change, from Liferay 6 to 7, was properly documented and migration was simple enough. Minor upgrades have caused issues though.

Nevertheless, I need to say that most issues I encountered were already corrected and I have never found stability problems in running servers.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Support definitely takes their time in looking into issues and helping users. Information about bugs is publicly available and engineers can see how the bug fixing process is going. The community is active in several open channels where advice can be found for development and for administration alike.

Liferay brings with it several frameworks that are beautifully organized. (Hibernate, Struts, Spring.) That is why this is tricky to explain.

As an engineer, the ability to use the frameworks you like is a great plus. But after a while, one may notice that using Liferay, as an intermediary for some services, is much simpler. They do a great job in providing extension points and tools like the Blade CLI and Service Builder.

The simplicity of the overall development process is a major advantage that comes with consistency. The learning curve is quite high, but I would say it is definitely worth it.

The setup is pretty simple and it is aligned with practices we see every day in web systems deployment.

There are options around its licenses that are worth some evaluation, especially if you don’t have experts available to provide you with the due support.

Liferay can be quite complicated under all those great features and some projects require extensive customization that demands some degree of expertise.

However, if the project is simple and only composed by assembling and organizing apps, it might not be worth paying for a license, except in those cases when access to restricted apps is needed.

Several content management platforms are available in the market, such as Adobe and, in simpler scenarios, WordPress.

However, being open source is a great advantage if you are looking for extending the existing solution and customizing it for specific scenarios.

Furthermore, the solid stack of frameworks and modern UI technologies is something unique in Liferay.

Being based on OSGi and supporting extension through OSGi is almost too good to be true. With OSGi, we are even able to make hot deployable modules and patches without any significant effort while controlling the dependencies with Gradle in a way that only OSGi can support.

What other advice do I have?

If your goal is to develop a new system, start small and use the knowledge you already have to leverage the frameworks and libraries that come with Liferay.

Modularity is the key with Liferay, and small modules will build big systems. If you come from old versions, with time, start transitioning to OSGi instead of the old Liferay plugins. OSGi offers a greater flexibility with a consistency that is not seen in the old formats.

If you are new to Liferay, I would advise going straight to the modular approach and learn Liferay’s conventions to apply them to your code. They are simple and will help you when you have to compare your solution to some similar functionality in Liferay.

If you are looking for information, I would recommend having a copy of the book "Liferay in Action". It is definitely outdated, but the concepts are needed to understand Liferay.

If you are new to modularity, I would recommend the book "Java Application Architecture: Modularity Patterns with Examples Using OSGi".

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The most valuable feature is modularity. The product helps to create websites.

What is most valuable?

The most loved Liferay DXP feature launched is modularity. The modular approach to implementation helps to add enhancements easily.

The collaboration feature of Liferay is a very nice feature that can help to create a website quickly and easily, even by a non-technical person.

Apart from these, I also like the security features provided by Liferay.

How has it helped my organization?

Liferay can be used by a non-technical person with minimal training. A content publisher can easily update and add the content. This makes updates available faster for users.

What needs improvement?

Documentation for the newly launched version is not up to the mark. It would really be a great help for developers if they were to get proper documentation of the features.

I have used Liferay since 2007.

Stability is very well maintained by Liferay. Whenever they fix any issues, they publish it to the community, so we can apply a patch to make it more stable.

Liferay has provided proper guidance for making scalable enterprise solutions. One node of Liferay offers support for an extensive number of users. If the load is growing, we can easily add a node by making cluster environments.

Liferay provides multiple levels of support for their users. When we raise any support ticket, we get a prompt and quick response from their support staff.

I have used Plone, but went ahead with Liferay due to the availability of vast out-of-the-box features.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

Liferay provides a vast range of features with minimal license costs, which makes it better than the others.

What other advice do I have?

Utilize its modularization feature to its best, to make it an easily extendible and scalable enterprise solution.

Søren Norman Pedersen
    Senior IT Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    API programming and asset publishing are the most important features.

What is most valuable?

API programming and asset publishing are the most important features.

What needs improvement?

Documentation is an issue and needs to be improved. Asset publishing can be a bit complicated, but once you have some running, it gets easier.

I have been using Liferay since 2012, starting with Liferay 6.1.

The earlier version, 6.1, had performance issues. These were solved from 6.2 and up.

I have not had any scalability issues so far. It is easy to cluster, if your application has a heavy load.

I have never used technical support. The documentation online could…

What is most valuable?

API programming and asset publishing are the most important features.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Liferay since 2012, starting with Liferay 6.1.

I have never used technical support. The documentation online could be improved (https://dev.liferay.com/). The Liferay developer community is very active, useful, and responsive.

Liferay is very quick and easy to set up, whether you are using the built-in database or an external database.

What other advice do I have?

I just say "go ahead" and try it out. It is very easy to install and you can have it running in a few minutes after downloading and extracting.

Prakash Khanchandani
    Technical Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    We use this product for site, page, and content creation.

What is most valuable?

• Security: Authentication is just plug-and-play. Almost all types of mechanisms under the sun seem to be supported and a few could be used from a marketplace app.
    • Authorization: With roles and permission, it is very fine grained to the data-level. The best part is that it provides easy APIs to use for custom apps, the way we want it.
    • Themes: We can change practically anything of the look and feel of the portal. Customization is also pretty easy. The framework helps us to keep things separate from Liferay’s code base and yet achieve the desired results.
    • Sites, Page and Content Creation: This was a breeze. This was as if I were creating a Word file on my file system and writing content to the Word file. We used it heavily. Not only that, we could bring our content live with ease by embedding JavaScript.
    • Collaboration Features: Sharing and collaborating on Wikis and documents became much better by version 6.2, much to our relief.
    • Hooks: We did some heavy customizations. Most of the customizations were plug-and-play with hooks. This is a really handy feature for developers.
    • I have used other portals, but they don’t let you meddle with the portal. Liferay is different because it lets you do what you want to do with the portal.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Liferay, we had a lot of different sites. These included local setups for different purposes, and for same purposes, but with different locations.

We were having a hard time collaborating through external services like email, network-drives, and Google Drive.

Most of the time, the content history could not be tracked. This meant that we would have to check emails for approvals for a specific content and notifications etc.

But with Liferay, not only was collaboration streamlined, all audits are now in place, thanks to an easy Kaleo workflow.

The site-feature also makes it easier for bringing up another site within a day for a demo or other collaborations. Permissions can be set location wise and themes can be customized according to the user logged-in and by location.

What needs improvement?

• Theme for mobile
    • Loading less files on mobile with rules
    • Accessing Liferay as an app on mobile: The Liferay mobile SDK might solve this.
    • Pricing
    • Modularization of apps would help: Even if we don't need a particular feature, it still gets deployed with Liferay. Liferay 7.0 will solve it, hopefully.

I have used this solution for five years.

Issues were encountered with version 6.1 EE and the start of version 6.2 EE.

We did not encounter any scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10.

The initial setup was quite straightforward with the bundled application. Just deploy and restart the server. For cloud, there were some extra settings, but it still was quite straightforward.

There are different licenses for production, development, and backup. Pricing has gone up after version 6.2. The development license might be too costly for small to medium-sized businesses.

We evaluated SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

The EE version is much more secure than the CE version.

Lately, the CE version has become a little unstable and fixes mostly come quite late in the version cycle.

Keeping that in mind, if you are looking for a complete portal solution with security and ease of set-up, then go for it.

Even for hosting multiple sites, this could be much better. But make sure that the pricing fits your bill.

it_user657780
    Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Has features for collaboration and social integration. It needs to provide more room for the content contributors.

What is most valuable?

This product has large a number of out-of-the-box features for collaboration, social integration, audience targeting, and personalization.

How has it helped my organization?

This product built a capability to provide enterprise based solution to the client with more agility and flexibility.

What needs improvement?

Liferay requires more room to provide ease of use for the content contributors.

I have used this product for over seven years.

Stability was an issue at some point of time when the higher versions were released. However, Liferay rectified it quickly and provided the patch releases to make it more stable.

We had no scalability issues.

I rarely required any technical support apart from the patch releases.

The setup was straightforward. It comes with a bundle and provides a setup wizard for the initial setup.

Choose the best option for your business.

We looked at Joomla!, Drupal, and Adobe CQ5. We felt that they covered more in the content management area, instead of in the enterprise solutions.

What other advice do I have?

If you need to build enterprise solutions with digital experience, then this product fulfills all the requirements from customization, custom development, integration, and configuration.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Global Partner.
    it_user635466
    AEM Solution Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    I value the portlets, OSGi modularity, and the tools for developers.

What is most valuable?

I really value the out-of-the-box features (portlets/application), OSGi modularity (in the last version), and tools for developers.

How has it helped my organization?

We needed to rewrite a legacy application written from scratch with much less developer resources. Liferay was a great choice. It had a big learning curve in advance, but it had great results in the end.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better documentation. Updates in the documentation do not follow updates in the code and functionality.

I have used it since version 5.2, in 2008.

There were some scalability issues. Finding a good infrastructure setup is not an easy task. Some scalability issues can arise when changing database engines, since Liferay supports different databases.

I didn't use technical support.

What other advice do I have?

It might sound trivial, but plan all the project phases, in terms of infrastructure and performance testing, well.

Liferay starting from DXP redesign the full software architecture using OSGI (actually since 6.2 is integrated but just for small integration points). With this new design, they gain the possibility to updates released version more frequently and also "components by components." From a point of view of a developer this is a great improvement by the way after first general available release. Liferay also released public documentation, allowing developers build custom plugin and general customization. This documentation gets outdated in different parts after some new release (GA2 ,etc).

Ravi Kumar Gupta
    Technical Architect at Azilen Technologies Pvt Ltd
    I like the method of customization and the security it offers.

What is most valuable?

There are different angles to this question.

• As a developer, I like the simple and easy method of customization and development of new modules (portlets).
    • As a business owner, I like the security it offers along with ready-to-use features it provides.
    • Liferay is shipped with more than 50 portlets that include forum, wiki, blogs, and calendar-like modules that make collaboration very easy. It has a very organized, clean, and ‘usable’ control (admin) panel.
    • Liferay’s UI, along with the control panel, is very powerful and helps to manage the content on the portal.
    • Liferay is a product that has been released with beautiful thinking behind it. When there was no portal to support drag and drop for content placement on pages, Liferay had its head held high with such features that made the user experience better.

How has it helped my organization?

With Liferay, setting up an enterprise portal is very quick and easy. Its faster development methodology helps us to customize Liferay to our needs.

For our organization, we have designed modules which help us with employee information, trainings, meeting room booking, performance evaluation, exit process, on-boarding, recruitment, and 360 feedback.

What needs improvement?

Technology trends change so quickly that a product has to continuously evolve and improve what it offers. There was a time when Liferay’s documentation was not up to the mark. However, the release of new versions and the setup of dev.liferay.com brought fantastic documentation for developers, administrators, and business stakeholders.

There are still some parts where Liferay can improve:

• Document library: Allow you to view and preview all popular types of files
    • Auditing capability

I have used Liferay for more than seven years.

Liferay Enterprise Edition releases are very stable. They keep a list of known issues just like any other software. There were very rare incidents when my team faced a bug in the product and we had to approach Liferay for a resolution.

We have not had any scalability issues so far. One Liferay node is capable of handling a large number of users and a document base.

When it comes to very heavy loads, Liferay nodes can be clustered using simple configurations. With the configurations, we can do many other optimizations to make Liferay quicker, lightweight, and secure.

There is a huge list of case studies that support Liferay’s scalability. We can understand how much Liferay can scale by looking at the Tata Sky portal which is a Liferay deployment and handles massive traffic daily.

There are multiple levels of technical support depending on your client or whether you have purchased a package. I find them very responsive and prompt in resolving the queries.

Apart from the technical support from Liferay, the developer community is also very active and responsive. Users can also put their issues/requests/suggestions to Liferay JIRA as well.

Previous to Liferay, I knew of WordPress and Joomla!, which people use to write their websites with little content.

When I came across Liferay, I got to see the out-of-the-box portlets and the way I can just put things in the deploy folder.

I can use the hot-deploy feature to create a site with very little configuration and place it on as many sites as I wanted.

I immediately switched to Liferay because of what it offered.

I got a chance to compare Liferay with other portals and tools like IBM WebSphere, SharePoint, GateIn, etc. I found Liferay’s development and deployment faster, along with its capability and offerings of the in-built portlets.

For new users, Liferay has very simple steps: Download the bundle and extract it.

If you don’t have Java, install Java and run bundled Tomcat. In a minute or two, you will have your server ready to be used.

Of course, no production level deployment will be using these steps. But Liferay provides a very comprehensive configuration file named "portal-ext.properties". It allows configurations for almost everything, such as database, sharing, sites, and clustering.

Liferay releases its portal as Community and Enterprise Edition. Like any other open source software, Liferay has a pricing model with levels of support for the Enterprise Edition. There are two levels of support with minor differences: Gold and Platinum.

For most of my proposals, I provided a separate sheet that includes other recommended tools. These recommendations were sometimes from the client based on their previous implementations.

For most of the client’s requirements, Liferay was a clear win because of its out-of-the-box features, portlets, and the depth and type of customization it can do.

What other advice do I have?

From enterprise intranet website requirements to a public facing website that receives heavy traffic, Liferay passes all tests and checks off your requirements.

Using Liferay Portal, you do not just get open source and bring down the cost of software, but you also get total implementation time decreased as well.

Liferay has a large and responsible community to support you throughout your implementation.

it_user627057
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    I like the control panel features. The front-end technologies need improvement.

What is most valuable?

I like most of out-of-the-box features, especially the control panel features.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no need to develop from scratch. The framework is ready for development. It provides multi-tenancy and is easy to integrate with other applications.

What needs improvement?

The front-end technologies need improvement.

I have used Liferay for eight years.

We did not encounter many problems with stability.

We did not need to make any changes to support our work for a long time.

I would give technical support a rating of 3.5-4/5.

We traditionally build applications from scratch. This makes basic setup, such as user management, organization, roles, and permissions easier. It is easy to extend or customize out-of-the-box features.

It is easy to set up for any environment. Instructions are available over the internet.

I did not get a chance to work with sales.

We did not really evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Liferay, Version 7, gives OSGI implementation. This is the future of Java technologies. Liferay enables you to stay with latest technologies with each version release.

it_user622749
    Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Does asset publishing and page management. I would like to see better documentation.

What is most valuable?

Definitely CMS. Tons of features are available for content management:

• Structures
    • Templates
    • Application display templates
    • Asset publisher
    • Staging
    • Page management

These features have become well evolved over time.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very easy to pitch Liferay to any client. This is due to the wide array of functionalities it has and in terms of what it has to offer.

Liferay always delivers as follows:

• Setting up an intranet portal
    • Making some public facing website
    • Creating a collaboration platform

What needs improvement?

Documentation needs improvement. But this too has evolved over time and is still a work in progress.

I have been using Liferay for more than eight years.

Every major version has some stability issues, but that is the case in every product. Liferay has undergone a major overhaul in its DXP release, which has introduced some stability issues. From my experience, these issues will cease to exist after one or two minor releases.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Support is fair enough. I have seen that the technical support varies based on the region where you purchased the product.

For example, technical support in Europe and the Americas is very, very good. These regions have very good technical folks.

We didn’t have anything before Liferay. I had analyzed JBoss Portal in 2008, but I then went ahead with Liferay and I have never turned back.

The setup is fairly simple. You can set it up by the time your coffee is brewed.

Compared to other big players in portal platforms, Liferay's pricing is very competitive. And remember, the latest version of Liferay is not just a portal framework, but it is a digital experience platform which offers way more.

I evaluated JBoss Portal in 2008, but I then went ahead with Liferay

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead with Liferay DXP. There is a lot of expertise in the market with this product. It is arguably the best Java-based portal platform out there.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are implementation partners with Liferay.
    it_user618144
    EA to the President/Office Manager at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    We only use it for internal, departmental websites. We found it difficult to upload documents.

What is most valuable?

We only use it for internal, departmental websites. It helped us migrate our company’s EA website from SharePoint to Liferay.

How has it helped my organization?

It has increased communication between the departments and their employees.

What needs improvement?

We found it difficult to upload documents. It seemed unnecessarily complex.

I have used this solution for three years.

There were no stability issues.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has increased communication between the departments and their employees.

What needs improvement?

We found it difficult to upload documents. It seemed unnecessarily complex.

I have used this solution for three years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Unfortunately, our company only allowed certain individuals to access Liferay technical support. For any kind of technical issue or training, we had to go through our fellow employees.

I would recommend that more employees get access to Liferay technical support. I would have found that very helpful.

My company was using SharePoint. I am not sure why the switch was made.

The setup was complex. Most people didn’t understand how to convert their SharePoint site to the Liferay platform. Many of them still hadn’t been converted when I left the company.

What other advice do I have?

Line up technical support from Liferay with your company employees from the beginning of the implementation.

it_user541170
    Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Portlet development technology promotes re-usability of code. Theme development is tough for UI guys.

What is most valuable?

• Portlet development technology promotes re-usability of code (one portlet can be used in many portals).
    • Very powerful product for Intranet solutions.
    • Multi-instance capability.
    • Document management and its permission system is very powerful.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps develop intranet solutions with code re-usability; once you develop a portlet, you can use it for any number of different solutions.

Its marketplace provides many out-of-the-box functionalities.

Architecture is so good that you can fit many organizational structures into Liferay.

What needs improvement?

• Documentation
    • Mobility
    • Theme development is tough for UI guys. A UI guy needs to learn to work with Liferay.

I have been using Liferay 6.2 for the last two years and Liferay Digital Experience Platform for the last three to four months.

As for now, Liferay DXP was just released, so there are many issues. Things don't work as mentioned in the documentation. It will get stable in the next releases. Liferay 6.2 was quite a stable version.

We haven’t had any scalability issues.

I rate technical support 8/10.

I was not previously using any other solutions.

Initial setup is not very complex, but you need to follow the exact steps they suggest and it’s not that easy.

No advice as of now.

What other advice do I have?

Check your requirements and license costs. If you are going with a licensed version, try to map your functionalities with Liferay. Then decide whether you need Liferay or not.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are platinum partners of Liferay.
    it_user538218
    Senior Liferay Portal/Web Developer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    With the roles and permissions management, developers have the ability to build persona- and preference-based functionality​.

What is most valuable?

• CMS lets business users to create and manage web content by business users, while maintaining revisions. Liferay enables users to be independent of developers and to be able to manage content within the portal.
    • Roles and permissions management gives developers the ability to build persona- and preference-based functionality within the portal.
    • Document library
    • Plugins, workflows and rules provide flexibility to customize the portal.

How has it helped my organization?

• A self-service portal for customers
    • An online community to share and get knowledge
    • A portal for distributing manuals.

What needs improvement?

• Ability to create content
    • A cloud offering

I have used Liferay for approximately five years.

Liferay is a very stable product (except for version 7, as it is relatively new).

We have no issues with scalability.

Technical support is very good.

We started using Liferay directly. There was no previous solution.

Setup was straightforward.

It is very affordable and licensing is similar to Red Hat Linux, where we pay only for the support.

We evaluated Adobe Experience Manager and WebSphere Portal v6.

What other advice do I have?

Have a complete understanding of out-of-the-box features as Liferay makes most of the functionality required available without any customization.

it_user517980
    IT Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We get better communication between team members and faster access to documents.

What is most valuable?

• Social networking
    • Document sharing

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

There is always is something to improve. I welcome improving the DMS camp and more easy collaboration with Microsoft Active Directory.

I have used Liferay for three years.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

I didn’t use technical support.

I used more Microsoft solutions and Liferay is a more complex, “all in one” solution.

Setup was not straightforward. The Community Edition was a bit complicated and they should fix the code.

I use the GNU license.

I chose between Liferay, Drupal and Microsoft products.

What other advice do I have?

Liferay is highly scalable and more complex than Drupal. For the same quality, you need more Microsoft solutions, so more servers and more capacity.

Managing Director with 51-200 employees
    Solution for project implementations including documentation management.

What is most valuable?

Liferay is a good product and can reduce time and cost on project implementation. Liferay opens the door for most problems of our customers. If you have digital problems in your organizations, Liferay already solves more than 80% of them.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of my Liferay experience is working on projects to solve other organizations’ problems and meet their requirements. With one of our projects, I used Liferay as a document management solution. With Liferay, users are happy with its ability to manage digital documents.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement on the Ecommerce platform.

We have used this solution for over five years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I have experience on enterprise and community versions with HA implementations for less than five servers. So far, I did not face any scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

We used Microsoft SharePoint and IBM WebSphere. They are not straightforward and have a complex user experience as a developer.

The setup is straightforward.

The solution has a good ROI.

The solution is inexpensive.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest getting this product. It is easy to use and has a big impact to reduce implementation time. It is not just a product solution. It also has excellent features as a development platform.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a solution provider and support Liferay products to our customers.
    it_user536244
    Liferay Solution Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides content aggregation and personalization. Only the simple, straightforward cases are documented.

What is most valuable?

Aggregation and personalization (think dashboards) are the really unique selling points of a portal. If you don't need those, you don't need a portal and there will be other libraries or frameworks that are better suited to solve your problem.

How has it helped my organization?

We are not really using it ourselves.

What needs improvement?

The easy, straightforward cases are usually the only ones that are documented. Once you need to do something a little more advanced, you usually won't find any examples and will have to resort to looking through the code to find a place where they do something similar and figure out how it works by stepping through that in a debugger.

They also really like to create new libraries to do stuff (AlloyUI, Metal.js, Senna.js, etc.) instead of seeing what is already available and trying to adapt that for portal use (and possibly committing that back). And lastly, we've run in to a lot of bugs that tend to come back in every version. Things get fixed in one version and after upgrading you run into the same bug again.

I have about 8 years of experience with the product. I've worked with late 5.x versions up until the 7/DXP version now. I'm also a Liferay Highlighted blogger (https://web.liferay.com/web/fimez/blog) and I presented at Liferay Devcon last year.

We didn't encounter any real stability issues, only regressions and bugs.

We didn't encounter any real scalability issues, only regressions and bugs.

Technical support is better than most.

We previously used Sun Java System Portal Server. We switched because Sun Portal just plain sucked.

Initial setup is as easy as downloading, unpacking and starting. No hassle.

Always use the Enterprise Edition, as it isn't worth your own time to try and hunt down bugs in the Community Edition, and there are lots of bugs/regressions.

We looked at JBoss Portal and Pluto.

What other advice do I have?

Only use it when you really need a portal and don't use it as an application framework. In that case, it only complicates your development and performance needlessly.

We tried the 'eat your own dog food' approach and used Liferay for our company's website, but Liferay just isn't meant to build websites. It wasn't easy/simple enough for normal web content editors to add or change content. It is also hard for our designers to create cutting edge designs that can be easily integrated into Liferay as a theme.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Official partner
    it_user533085
    Senior Technical Specialist at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    nables non-technical staff to add/update content that is approved by content approvers in a workflow. I wish it would stop scanning for each language.

What is most valuable?

• Web content management system: Enables non-technical staff to add/update content that is approved by content approvers in a workflow. Staff is trained to create new sites.
    • Integration platform: Integrates existing applications so that users are able to access content in one place.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our client to quickly set up websites for their external clients.

What needs improvement?

I am having a hard time getting through the security scans. I wish there were documentation to create some settings that would prevent scanning for each language when you are using a particular language.

I have used this solution for three years.

We have not yet had stability issues.

We have not yet had scalability issues.

We are a consulting company. Based on our clients' requirements, we have used various CMS products, such as Mura CMS, Drupal, and SharePoint.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We are using the Community Edition, so I cannot say anything about this subject.

For content management, we have used Mura which is a ColdFusion based CMS, Drupal, and SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

If possible, go for the enterprise version as they will have more support.

it_user517965
    Liferay Portals Technical Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    We can extend its functionality and customize it to meet our customers' requirements.

What is most valuable?

All the features that are provided by Liferay are very useful, such as Web Content, Document Library and Media, Roles, Permissioning, Resources, Organizations, Users, Sites, Custom Fields, Plugins, and so on. These features enable us to extend Liferay functionality and allow us to customize the out-of-the-box features of Portal to meet our customers’ requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it for projects to provide quick turnaround for our clients' requests. Liferay has a powerful feature for the hot deployment of plugins, and service builders for easily creating tables using Sprint, Hibernate, JPA, etc.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them arrange more symposiums in India, because most of the resources who work on Liferay are from India, more than any other country.

I'd like for them to have more interactive sessions, training or face-to-face meetings with the Liferay core team for Developers, so that we can have our questions/clarifications clarified directly with them, rather than asking over a webinar session, through forums, through support tickets, etc.

I have been using Liferay for the past 10+ years now and I love to work with it.

I have not encountered any serious stability issues, but if we come across anything, we get great support from Liferay as a patch.

The portal is very easy in terms of adding more nodes to a cluster.

Technical support is 9/10.

I have used two other portal servers. I really did not like the way they allowed admins to do administrative actions. Liferay is easy to understand and complete the admin actions through the control panel with meaningful names and a short description about what each module does.

Initial setup is straightforward and I did not find it difficult. Liferay has great online documentation, which gives us more confidence in achieving anything with it.

It is a budget-friendly solution and less expensive than any other portal servers available on the market.

What other advice do I have?

Go with this product, because there is great support from the company, rich forum support and online documentation, and the source code allows you to make changes on your own with an LGPL license from vendor.

it_user535347
    Java EE Developer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Management and permissions according to user, role, and group. The core code base needs refactoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is management and permissions according to user, role, and group.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas that need improvement:

• The core code base needs refactoring. It’s very hard to understand it when trying to do customizations.
    • They could remove the business logic from the UI (JSPs) and stop using scriptlets in JSPs.
    • Data integrity should be at the database level (normalization/foreign keys) and not at the application level.
    • Also, they need to upgrade third party libraries (e.g., Spring) to the newest versions. Liferay is stuck on Spring 3.2, while Spring 4.3.x is the last version and they are working on a 5.0 framework.
    • Use Java Config instead of XML config.
    • Add support for JBoss EAP domain mode
    • Source code sharing in SVN/git still needs to be revisited

I’ve used Liferay for more than 1 year.

Yes, we did have issues with stability.

Yes, we encountered scalability issues.

Initial setup was complex compared to IBM WebSphere.

I recommend going with the CE version.

We evaluated IBM WebSphere portal, but found WebSphere to be overkill for our project.

What other advice do I have?

I would emphasize using Liferay’s OOTB features so you don’t build something that already exists.

Also, make sure you actually need the features it provides.

it_user535350
    LifeRay Functional Lead at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    You can create your own secure service bus for information. We always have issues with Social Office.

What is most valuable?

The features I find valuable are its integration points with other systems and scalability. This is important because the portal (Liferay) is an addition to the current J2EE Framework. That being said, it lends itself to roll all processing (Spring batch) into the Liferay Tomcat bundle. This process can be done in reverse order to ensure performance.

For integration points using simple plugins with SAP, you can create your own secure service bus for information. If you would like to convert your Liferay platform to a presentation layer for CRM, you can leverage Dynamic MS CRM or SugarCRM with ease using plugins or a Java framework.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization benefited by the automated client setup and an easy CMS setup.

What needs improvement?

Major upgrades switch the Liferay framework core structure dramatically in EVERY occasion. However, there were only subtle changes from the last minor upgrade to the major upgrade.

I used this product for two years where I currently work. In my former job, I used it for six years.

I have encountered stability issues during the upgrade process from 5.2 EE to 6.1.XX EE. There are always issues with Social Office.

We had no scalability issues.

The technical support need was moderate as the tool lends itself to be customized away from the (out-of-the box) OOB portal product. Liferay does not always support these custom components.

We used ColdFusion for a previous project for a CMS portal.

The installation was simple on a Linux-based operating system. It was complex with Windows Servers, but we still managed.

We recommend never leveraging static components when developing licensing requirements because the operating system layer and its environment will always change to fit support costs.

We did not evaluate alternative solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand what you want the product to do. If your company has an overall future for growth, then Liferay is a good choice as it is an enterprise solution.

Liferay Portal Expert at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides audience targeting tools and the Screens feature is interesting.

What is most valuable?

For me, the most important features are scalability, architecture, the fact that it's Java-based, includes a CMS, and provides audience targeting tools. The newest Liferay "Screens" feature is very interesting too.

How has it helped my organization?

We develop advanced web solutions based on Liferay with lower development costs and fewer team members.

What needs improvement?

Liferay needs a better web content search engine.

I've been using Liferay since 5.2.x version in 2009.

We have stability issues only when the developers don't follow the Liferay guidelines and best practices.

I didn't have any issues with scalability.

Liferay has good technical support with a high level of product knowledge.

I’ve tested several options over the years: PHPnuke, PostNuke, Joomla, WordPress, Drupal. But none of them have as many built-in features as Liferay.

Liferay bundles make the initial setup is very easy. Just execute a bundled Tomcat package with a Liferay installation within.

It’s a good idea to subscribe to Liferay support. They have good product knowledge and solve problems quickly.

We tried Drupal, but it doesn't have as many built-in features as Liferay.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you want to extend the product, don't recreate existing functionalities or libraries. Just follow the guidelines and best practices.

it_user535320
    Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It offers a CMS, role-based permissions, and hierarchy-of-organization community management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are role-based permissions, organization management, and the scalability of many third-party integrations.

How has it helped my organization?

Liferay has a CMS, role-based permissions, and hierarchy-of-organization community management which provides lots of features for intranet and enterprise applications. It also provides tools for mobile development.

What needs improvement?

The API documentation could be improved, as well as the debugging tools.

I’ve used Liferay for more than 6 years.

We had a number of issues with stability, but we found solutions from the community or in patches for the enterprise edition.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

We didn’t use any other solutions.

The initial setup was quite easy.

We evaluated WebSphere before choosing Liferay.

What other advice do I have?

For normal sites, we can use other available options, such as PHP. But Liferay is good for enterprise and large-scale systems, especially role and hierarchy management systems, or when you have multi-site requirements.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're business partners
    Jignesh Vachhani
    Lead Software Professional at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Administration functions are available from the control panel.

What is most valuable?

• Support OSGi Framework
    • Excellent Content management system
    • Administrative functions through the control panel
    • Elastic search

These features are valuable because they all are basic requirements for all portals and have been achieved easily with the Liferay DXP portal.

You

How has it helped my organization?

Very important changes are OSGi modularization for existing portlets and new modules. It change the way of development and make life easy for developers

I have been playing liferay from last 9 years and palyed almost all the version and have seen many pros and cons across versions.

Yes we faced many issues during production deployment and specially performance tuning and best suppoprt architecture.

Yes as this is open source so don't see its big hurdle here.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

10/10

Technical support is very nice for the EE customers.

I did not previously use a different solution.

If its first time then you will definatly struggle but later on it would be very easy if you understand the structure.

It should maintain a competitive price in the open source market.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

It is just awesome; you should experience DXP. I am blogging many useful solution on www.liferaysolution.com

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Liferay platinum partner.
    it_user531648
    CEO & Co-Founder at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Our customers demand features such as Workflow Engine and Content Management System. They are more robust than the competition.

What is most valuable?

All of the following features are important to us:

• Content Management System
    • Document Management System
    • Workflow Engine
    • Roles and permissions for authorization and authentication
    • Forums, blogs, and chat
    • Responsive UI

They are all in high demand, and we have implemented them for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the Workflow Engine for managing the approval process. We have used blogs and discussion forums for information exchange between the employees, and as a chatting platform within the organization.

What needs improvement?

The loading speed could be improved.

I have been using Liferay Digital Experience Platform for about 10 years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

We received very good technical support. For the Enterprise Edition versions, there is exclusive support. For the Community Edition versions, there are a lot of forums available.

Before using Liferay Digital Experience Platform, we used WordPress. Liferay is far more secure and robust.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

The Community Edition versions are open source and freely available.

Pricing for Enterprise Edition versions can be obtained by requesting a quote from Liferay.

We evaluated both WordPress and Drupal before deciding on Liferay.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very secure, robust, and highly scalable. It can also be customized to almost any extent.

it_user520707
    Liferay/Java Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It can create multiple sites from a single installation and supports multiple-file upload to the document library.

What is most valuable?

• Check in: lets you update a document that you have edited. Its version number will be increased and the previous version document will be saved for reference.
    • Check out: lets you check out a document for editing. This prevents anyone else from accessing the file while someone is working on the checked out document.
    • Document library (repository): Liferay provides a document management system (CMS). It not only keeps the document but also manages the document with proper versioning and permissions for accessing the document.
    • Multiple-file upload: allows uploading multiple file at one time to the document library.
    • Workflow: allows using Keleo for workflow, which manages a module’s flow within specific roles of the hierarchy.
    • Document conversion tool (file format conversion): allows document conversion for common extensions such as Word to PDF and vice versa, with OpenOffice.
    • Multiple sites in one Liferay portal: One can create multiple sites with a single Liferay installation.
    • User-role management: Liferay manages its own users and roles with its control panel that consists of a rich UI that is very user friendly.
    • LDAP Support: Helps with single sign on in Liferay.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces development time as well as requires less maintenance.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it require fewer configurations from the properties file, and provide more GUI options to configure changes.

I’d also like to maybe see virus scanning for file uploads.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I have never taken technical support from the vendor.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial step is way too easy.

Before choosing this product, I also evaluated BackBase.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product wisely.

The Liferay team has made this product to the mark. As of now, the technology is up-to-date and fulfills all essential requirements.

Santosh Kumar Bharatha
    Senior Application Developer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    It provides web content and user management.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We utilize this product in multiple ways: for Web content management, inter-portlet communication, user management. LDAP is the most advantageous. All the portlets and widgets are plugins, which provides flexibility to add/modify in multiple ways. It’s user friendly and hence requires minimal knowledge to understand and operate it.

What needs improvement?

Its SSL-based client authentication support needs to be improved.

SSL and proxy configuration in Liferay: Basically, the visitors connect to the site with HTTP and for a few secured apps, the request is automatically routed as HTTPS. Liferay provides a good amount of support for Apache servers.

Example:
    SSLCertificateFile="/etc/ssl/tomcat/cpcert.crt"
    SSLCertificateKeyFile="/etc/ssl/tomcat/devevn.pem"
    SSLPass="

I have used it for eight years.

It’s highly scalable and gives excellent performance.

Technical support is 10/10.

I was using IBM WCM but switched to Liferay, as it is open source and has a lot of support.

Setup is straightforward; Ext is a little complex.

It’s open source, unless you want to go for the enterprise version; except for support, you have everything in the non-enterprise version of the product.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Adobe AEM, Alfresco, etc.

What other advice do I have?

100% go for it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a platinum partner.
    Chief Executive Officer at a government with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

The community and collaboration features such as forums, library, wikis, event and ideas.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organisation is set up to support other organisations working in Public Sector Improvement. The product has helped our members and communities to freely connect, share knowledge, develop initiatives and share expertise in a secure environment. This has enabled organisations to save both time and money, generated and incubated ideas to drive improvement, and helped members discover knowledge to help in their job and connect with people and experts.

What needs improvement?

Liferay does currently lack a good integrated analytics package, automation, and filtering.

I've been using it for years.

We had no material issues during deployment.

We did, at different stages, have performance issues, but this was resolved by moving to the recommend infrastructure.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

8/10

9/10

We previously used an IBM WebSphere product. We moved to an open source product to support the concept being promoted in the UK Government and expected scalability without scaled cost.

A bit of both. Learning what a new platform can and can’t do can take a while especially if you are moving from an established platform that was bespoke built to a portal based platform. Showcasing the benefits of moving to the members and migrations was tough to start with but has proved to be beneficial.

We implemented it through a vendor team, PFI Knowledge Solutions Limited (PFIKS). They are the only UK platinum partner of Liferay and have a great level of expertise - 8/10, even though it is a relatively small organisation

Check out the community (free) version first. Go with Enterprise Edition for the great Liferay support.

A number of alternative products were evaluated, including staying with the original IBM platform. We selected Liferay due to its flexibility and scalability.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time, Liferay can do so many different things and can be very complex. So be clear on what you are building.

Information Systems Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

You can create and manage dozens of sites with a single installation of Liferay, without a single line of Java code. Liferay has an excellent website concepts model, with a clear separation between content, applications, users, themes, layouts, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Liferay on our modern-look, mobile-ready website and we also use it on out intranet. We use it on our customers projects, and they love Liferay's flexibility

What needs improvement?

Liferay is a phenomenal product with deficient marketing. More OOTB examples are needed to allow the user to faster realize it's full potential. We also need better translations. Some of the multi-lingual functionality can be improved.

We are using Liferay on and off since 2007, but we've chosen to standardize on this product around 2012.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability since 6.1

We've had no issues with scalability but we never had any project with more than 500 users (up to 2015). The benchmarks published by Liferay, however, look very promising on this matter.

I've been using mostly the Community Edition, but for customers with critical apps/sites I think the Enterprise Edition is good value.

I'm currently not a user of the official tech support but the forums and the web is full of useful information. When that fails, we can always look into the source code t understand what might be going wrong.

Yes, we used several PHP site management products but, when comparing to Liferay, they lack coherence and simplicity in the content management functions. As for integration and scalability, Liferay beats them all easily.

The initial setup is very easy but the OOTB themes are poor, when comparedto modern web design. If you register on the Marketplace you can download some very moderns themes and use them in your websites.

We have in-house expertise.

We have been using Liferay for our websites and intranet, and its difficult to calculate the ROI for that. But, since we adopted Liferay we have the ability to change contents and apps much faster, and that is invaluable , nowadays.

While we're not using the subscription services, we are aware that Liferay has very competitive pricing, when compared to the competition.

We had experience with Drupal, Joomla and other PHP platforms and we evaluated Sharepoint also.

We also evaluated Alfresco, but we decided that Alfresco and Liferay are not competitors. Instead, they both play very well together, for complex situations involving ECM, BPM and Web apps.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company sells Liferay Community Edition based solutions, not supported by Liferay Inc. We have a good relationship with the vendor, participating on community events and activities.
    IT – Consultant / Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Big benefit is in relation to cost but there are a lot of areas which could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features is Java based platform and JSR portlet for development.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided one place for integration.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of possibilities for improvement in several areas.

I have been using Liferay since 2007

Yes, a wide range of issues.

Yes, in most of our big projects.

Yes, both horizontal and vertical.

Customer Service: Customer service is very high. Technical Support: Technical support depends on the…

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided one place for integration.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of possibilities for improvement in several areas.

I have been using Liferay since 2007

Yes, a wide range of issues.

Yes, in most of our big projects.

Yes, both horizontal and vertical.

Customer service is very high.

Technical support depends on the subscription, but it is good.

No previous solution used.

The platform is independent of the environment and first setup is very easy. Just click.

We used a vendor team who I met and they have great expertise.

Big benefit is in relation to cost. There are a lot of out of box things and on the other side is has got elastic platform for further improvements.

Just the subscription, which is one year for us.

Yes, we also looked at SharePoint and WebSphere.

What other advice do I have?

High cost.