LogicMonitor Overview

LogicMonitor is the #4 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to SolarWinds NPM: LogicMonitor vs SolarWinds NPM

What is LogicMonitor?

LogicMonitor is the only fully automated, cloud-based infrastructure monitoring platform for enterprise IT and managed service providers. Gain full-stack visibility for networks, cloud, servers, and more within one unified view. Our monitoring technology enables businesses to see what’s coming before it happens. We collaborate closely with our customers to understand their risks and anticipate their needs, providing insights that unlock their vision.

LogicMonitor Buyer's Guide

Download the LogicMonitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

LogicMonitor Customers

Kayak, Zendesk, Ted Baker, Trulia, Sophos, iVision, TekLinks, Siemens

LogicMonitor Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

reviewer1017426
User
The dashboards are great. I would like to be better able to monitor Oracle processes.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for monitoring servers in our datacenter. It performs pretty well and affords us in-depth troubleshooting capabilities.
reviewer1010436
Service & Concept Developer at Retune AB
Easy to scale up and down based on the customer's needs

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP, and we use it for our customers' environments: on-premise, hybrid or cloud. LogicMonitor is our backbone regarding proactivity and reporting.

What other advice do I have?

Try it, and you will love it, integrations via JSON/XML and the pre built-in solutions for integrations are great.
Learn what your peers think about LogicMonitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Patrik Nordlund
User at Retune AB
The ability to easily create custom data sources/monitored instances is the most valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring our customers' infrastructure, servers, network equipment, UPS, websites, etc., and integrating this with our ITSM to generate tickets.

What other advice do I have?

Do consider LogicMonitor as an alternative for your monitoring.
MattyM121
Technical Consultant at a reseller with 51-200 employees
Fast and easy setup and gives us the ability to use custom monitoring solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use this product internally for monitoring our on-premise infrastructure and soon to monitor our Azure infrastructure. We also use it as a service provider and we offer monitoring as a service to our customers.
PM
Senior Consultant at Retune AB
User

What is our primary use case?

We monitor Windows Servers, Linux Servers, firewalls, a variety of network devices, Active Directory, websites, etc.

• "The dashboards are great."
  • "We can give our customers a good overview of their environment and the services they use."
  • "It would be nice to have better looking charts."

What other advice do I have?

Drop your on-premise solutions for monitoring your environment and choose LogicMonitor instead.
JA
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to add a device and there are already templates of what elements to monitor in a device

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP. The product is for our managed customers to monitor their equipment and network servers. It does what it is supposed to do.

• "They already have templates of what elements to monitor in a device."
  • "It is easy to add a device."
  • "In terms of support, we are more proactive compared to having no monitoring at all. We are also able to identify quickly what sort of issues have happened or are about to happen, and act on them accordingly."
  • "The current user reporting module is terrible. There is a lot of room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to dive into it and just get started, eventually you will get it. Once you get used to it, it will be easy to use it. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Ease of use * Stability * Availability.
it_user506310
Principle Systems Engineer at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
The real strength of this product for me is the infrastructure device support.

• "Integration with a wide variety of infrastructure systems is the most valuable feature; most critical to us was VMware integration and Citrix NetScaler integration."
  • "I much prefer the older UI for managing devices and dashboards. They gave assurances that they would not retire the old UI before making it feature parity with the new UI, but they did not follow through with that."

What other advice do I have?

The real strength of this product for me is the infrastructure device support (https://www.logicmonitor.com/technologies/). LM is a great tool if you have a lot of things and want to be able to create dashboards to get status into many devices at once without a lot of work and without vendor-specific tools (going to one app for network stuff, another app for storage stuff, another app for virtualization stuff). If you use products that are NOT on their list, it is still a good tool; it just takes some more work to integrate. I have written custom integrations for Varnish and Memcache…
JB
VP Engineering at Impulse
We've been able to extend our in-house tools through the use of LogicMonitor's API capabilities.

• "Through the use of LogicMonitor's expansive monitoring library and host detection technologies, we are able to monitor hosts without the complexities traditional NMS systems have."
  • "The new/beta web portal and its REST API are a work-in-progress. This transformation for LogicMonitor is an exciting refresh, and is enabling customers like Impulse to provide feedback along the way."

What other advice do I have?

* Sign up for the evaluation, then discuss "The Problem You're Trying to Solve" with LogicMonitor staff. The staff are very helpful showing how the platform can solve a variety of needs. * Ask for help. LogicMonitor Support can advise on how to monitor devices, tuning alert-thresholds, alert-routing and more. * Ask for a reference. Talk to another LogicMonitor customer that has signed up.
it_user163623
NOC Manager with 51-200 employees
We find the dashboards, alerts, escalation change and API integration to be valuable for us.

• "The escalation change and API integration are also huge for us, making alerting seamless."
  • "I'd like to see the NetFlow reporting get better and the new UI needs some work."

What other advice do I have?

I'd say, why haven't you bought it already? Compare it to what you have now and what you're doing, and you'll see how much more you can get out of LogicMonitor. It's a set price per device, and the price is amazing considering uptime and other factors that would otherwise require a lot of man hours. The scalability is amazing and very graceful. I'd be surprised it you found something better.
it_user458007
Infrastructure Manager(APAC) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Our support desk only reacts to the ticket created for the respective device or service failure.

What other advice do I have?

LogicMonitor can be pretty simple to implement but it’s a complex, robust platform that can pretty much do “everything”. You have to make sure you have a thorough understanding of what and how you want to monitor. Also, you need to think about how you want to do it and who should be alerted for what and on which stream. There are also KPI’s to be decided, and you need to know what platforms you are trying to integrate, especially your ticketing systems.
SS
CTO, Partner at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It simplified Windows monitoring at new sites, and is easy to set up. I'd like improved SNMP support.

Valuable Features

Easy setup Easy for customers to understand

Improvements to My Organization

It simplified Windows monitoring at new sites.

Room for Improvement

Web experience slow Improved SNMP support

Use of Solution

I have used it for 1.5 years.

Stability of collectors is poor on Windows.

Technical support is 5/10; needs improvement; incomplete and poor documentation.

Setup is easy. Pruning to the desired monitors is a tedious operation.

Implementation Team

An internal team implemented it. Don't use Windows collectors for anything other than Windows collection.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Paid on a monthly basis per device, this solution can be pricey at the low volume…
it_user514809
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It found several snapshots that had not been managed and we were able to remove.

What other advice do I have?

LogicMonitor is a very robust monitoring solution and allows for customization to any environment. If you don’t want to deploy a solution on-prem, this is a very good alternative.
it_user511356
Executive Director of Technology Infrastructure Services at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leveraging its service monitoring tools, we established remote monitoring for external web services. I'd like the portfolio of pre-packaged services to expand quicker.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization has traditionally relied heavily on on-premise monitoring solutions like Nagios or Zabbix, but our technology needs were growing faster than our payroll. We evaluated moving to a packaged monitoring solution such as SolarWinds or Foglight, but we didn’t want to sacrifice the flexibility that FOSS monitoring tools afforded us. Using LogicMonitor as a platform to augment and enhance our Nagios deployment eased the growing pains we experience and allowed me to focus the team’s energy towards effective analysis of performance data and proactive decision making. Before making the…
Troy Muncy
Engineering Manager at Xceptional Networks, Inc.
The dashboard display provides at-a-glance problem detection.

What other advice do I have?

Dedicate time and a resource to it, have them do the training and take the LMCP certification test (online). It helps to know SNMP and SNMP traps.
it_user489108
Sr Systems Engineer at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It knows what kind of device you are adding, and auto-discovers the monitors for it.

What other advice do I have?

Do not be afraid to contact LogicMonitor support. They are very knowledgeable and can quickly help you with issues.
it_user458031
Principal Hosting Engineer and Team Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
It comes with broad built-in support for a wide variety of devices, OSs, applications and platforms.

What other advice do I have?

A trial takes around an hour to set up and start collecting useful data.
it_user457965
Director, Platform Operations at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides richer and consistent monitoring. There are more users engaged in monitoring our environment, across the organization.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a plan. LogicMonitor won't do much here, but getting up to speed is pretty easy. Still, especially if you're moving from one monitoring system to another, have a well defined plan with a timeline to help transition you over.
it_user457953
IT Infrastructure Manager at Barfoot & Thompson
Monitors our network from both within and without. 3rd Party integration and the granular alerting methods are good.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try, it won't disappoint you. I would encourage you to run a Proof of Concept or a small lab test if possible.
it_user378480
Senior Systems Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It reduces the amount of time that needs to be devoted to the administrative overhead of monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that LogicMonitor matched our use-case nearly perfectly, and was the best at meeting the functionality that we prioritized most highly. Take full advantage of the regularly scheduled training webinars and the library of other instructional materials. Good monitoring is very difficult and requires constant engagement. If you believe in "set it and forget it", "there's an app for that" or the "easy button" you probably should have a different role in your organization.
it_user449484
Production Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
We were able to configure the relevant alerts to be sent to the relevant engineers via email and SMS.

What other advice do I have?

Highly recommended.
it_user410301
IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The realtime monitoring of our clients, especially the ESXi hosts and their virtual machines, has been the most valuable feature for us.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time with alert tuning, but this would be the case with any monitoring solution.
it_user388302
Director of Managed Services/Service Owner at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
It provides a centralized, single-pane-of-glass ability to pull all of our performance monitoring and alerting into one platform.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a robust understanding of what you want to achieve first. Understand your own environment. Understand what your key points of measurements are for success, or what you are looking for, to make sure you identify those in your own environment before picking out tools is critical. If you know that you have tons of technology across multiple vendors and want flexibility to do your own thing, this is a good tool. You are probably going to want to make sure you have someone on staff who understands all the different combinations about how technology works together, to make the…
vCTO - Network Engineer & IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
One of the big values is the ability to dive into a client's network super quick and to able to see exactly what's going on.

What other advice do I have?

Spend some time and dedicate practice with it from the very beginning. It can do as little or as much as you want it to. It's so easy just to add a device. You put in an IP address, you put in credentials, and that's it. Then from there you're monitoring seventy different measures, but there's a lot more that you can do to it. This is actually something we've been doing in the last three months. Whenever we first started LogicMonitor, we added the basic stuff -- clients, servers, switches, routers, stuff like that, and as time went on, we discovered that "Hey, there's a lot more stuff that we…
it_user383856
IT Engineer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are the way it scales, and the fact that I can monitor anything that I can get to without having to worry about agents.

What other advice do I have?

When evaluating it, make sure you give them a clear idea of what devices you want to monitor because they have a lot of additional monitoring endpoints that they haven't publicly released yet that are as stable. And make sure you have the ability to analyze, because unlike most modern tools, you have to worry about the client being the bottleneck for the collector in this case. Make sure you understand how to monitor collectors to see if you need to scale back, especially if you use a lot of scripts.
it_user381633
NOC Technician at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides graphing of historical data as well as alerting of possible outages/issues.​​
Network Administrator at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
One of the most valuable features is the ability to easily add additional systems to be monitored.