LogMeIn Central OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

LogMeIn Central is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Remote Monitoring and Management Software. It is most often compared to LogMeIn Rescue: LogMeIn Central vs LogMeIn Rescue

What is LogMeIn Central?
LogMeIn Central enables you to effectively monitor, manage, and secure your endpoint infrastructure with a robust endpoint management feature set.

Download the Remote Monitoring and Management Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

LogMeIn Central Customers

Au Bon Pain, BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life)

LogMeIn Central Video

Archived LogMeIn Central Reviews (more than two years old)

PS
Associate Director of Information Technology at DVSport, Inc
Secure and reliable access to machines all over the globe

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for access to servers and client desktops/laptops situated all over the globe.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed granular permission access to machines, very consistent and solid most of the time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the grouping of granular and group permissions.

What needs improvement?

It is easy to get locked out, which is something that needs to be improved.

We have been using this solution for three years.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is easy to get locked out, which is something that needs to be improved.

We have been using this solution for three years.
GS
Project Manager at SOLUZIONE SRL
Easy to install, robust and secure

What is our primary use case?

To support unattended PCs and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to install, and it's robust and secure.

What is most valuable?

Unattended connection.

What needs improvement?

Client setup.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

To support unattended PCs and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to install, and it's robust and secure.

What is most valuable?

Unattended connection.

What needs improvement?

Client setup.

More than five years.
Find out what your peers are saying about LogMeIn, ConnectWise, Kaseya and others in Remote Monitoring and Management Software. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DH
IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Enables me to provide unattended remote assistance, but cost is an issue

• "Unattended remote assistance."
  • "The initial load is terribly slow and often has delays with the login page loading."

What is our primary use case?

I support our employees' hardware in ten locations and anywhere they are working that has connectivity.  We use RDS from MS and Logmein allows me to help my employees where ever they are.

How has it helped my organization?

No one needs to wait for assistance, I am a phone call away.  This means less down time and less travel time.

What is most valuable?

Unattended remote assistance is the most valuable for us – I save travel time and money.  As long as an employee leaves their computer on and connected to the Internet I can take care of things and have them all set to go upon their return.

What needs improvement?

The price needs improvement. It is ridiculously expensive now, and no features have really changed.

More than five years.

Yes, the initial load is terribly slow and often has delays with the login page loading.

I'm not sure as the price is too high for us to go above 100 computers so I just remove ones that are resting and add ones currently deployed.

I can’t even get someone to update my billing information. I haven’t needed tech support for this product, but the tech support I get with GTM and OV is very slow and tedious.

WebEx and it was clunky back then and expensive.

Pretty straightforward.

I implemented this without a vendor team.

I've never taken the time to compare the miles I would drive and the time lost traveling, but am sure that our ROI is huge.

It is expensive. You should compare the annual fee to your mileage budget before you purchase.

The CIO before me used WebEx, but it was slow and more expensive back then. I think it is cheaper now but I am used to LogMeIn.

What other advice do I have?

I support POS hardware/software, over 100 desktops and laptops. I use Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud for anti-virus, but LogMeIn Central for OS updates and  fixes. Everything is on-premise.

Check around for other options. If you don’t need unassisted remote access then there are free products that work just as well.

it_user832689
Manager
Provides end-to-end security; the two-step login system is great

• "I like the encryption and security of LogMeIn. I think the end-to-end security on it, in and of itself, is really good. I use the two-point login system and it's great."
  • "The file transfer could be better. They could make it a lot easier to deal with. LogMeIn Central is not that intuitive. It's a lot harder to figure out."
  • "LogMeIn Rescue could be made a lot easier where you could just tell the person where to go and log in, and they could just log in. Or even make it simpler where you could just send a file to a person and they would click on it; just something easier. The way they have it right now, it's not easy."

What is our primary use case?

To remote to other computers. I have a couple of servers that I mainly use it for. Also some computers, desktops.

How has it helped my organization?

It has saved me time because I don't have to go on-site. I can just do it remotely.

What is most valuable?

The Remote Control feature and file transfer feature. The Remote Control and the Rescue feature are the main ones that I use.

What needs improvement?

The file transfer could be better. They could make it a lot easier to deal with. If you use the TeamViewer file transfer, you click on the file here that you want to transfer, and you say where you want to transfer it on the desktop, and you hit "receive" or "send." If you hit "send," it just sends it right over to the desktop, whereas LogMeIn Central is not that intuitive. It's a lot harder to figure out.

The LogMeIn Rescue could be made a lot easier where you could just tell the person where to go and log in, and they could just log in. Or even make it simpler where you could just send a file to a person and they would click on it; just something easier. The way they have it right now, it's not easy. If they could make it easier for the desktops, that would be great.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

I think it's fine in terms of scalability. I think the end-to-end security on it, in and of itself, is really good. I use the two-step login system and it's great.

I used UltraVNC. I switched because I liked the encryption and the security of LogMeIn.

It's pretty straightforward.

The only thing I found is that they've gotten very, very expensive over the years. I started out with about about 100 users on it. Two years ago it was about $600 for 100 users. Now, it's that price for 25 users.

The price is crazy. Now, I just use it for the servers that I work on and I don't use it for desktops anymore. I use TeamViewer for the desktops.

I think they're ridiculously expensive. I am now looking at other options.

I'm looking into TeamViewer and UltraVNC, now.

What other advice do I have?

I don't use Central to keep my end-points secure. All the infrastructure is private. I don't do any cloud.

It's worked well for me except for the cost. That's the only thing that's deterring me now.

it_user831870
Integral Color Specialist
We provide a quicker response when supporting our customers. However, do not use this product's technical support.

• "Using the product, we provide a quicker response when supporting customers.​"
  • "​The initial setup was simple."
  • "​File transfer on the free version needs improvement. Allow file transfer with drag and drop to and from Remote Desktop. ​"
  • "Do not use the technical support."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is customer support. We manage servers, computers (laptop or desktop), and POS hardware/software.

We are also leveraging Central to keep our endpoints secure.

How has it helped my organization?

Using the product, we provide a quicker response when supporting customers.

What is most valuable?

We support a large geographic area across the West Coast. We install our PCs at customer locations throughout the country and are able to support them remotely rather than having to travel to those locations.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Do not use the technical support.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was simple.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

It is a solid solution for a remote desktop.

JJ
Medical Biller
My workers are able to work from home, so it is convenient for both of us

• "I have called for help to their technical support, and they have been extremely helpful."
  • "​The initial setup was pretty straightforward."
  • "It is convenient for my workers to be at home. Therefore, it is easier for them as their second job to do the work. That is a plus, and I improve productivity."
  • "I have had issues where LogMeIn has not been useful, then we have not been able to work that day. This happens probably two or three times a year."

What is our primary use case?

Remote management. I have remote workers who work from home.

It is the main thing I use.

How has it helped my organization?

My workers are able to work from home, so they are not here. It is convenient for both of us.

What is most valuable?

I want to make sure the remote control is as up-to-date as possible, so they do not have any lag time when they are working on the computers in my office.

What needs improvement?

As long as it continues to update with the current browser users, because sometimes we run into trouble where it is laggy, where the browser has updated, but LogMeIn has not.

Not something I use.

I have called for help, and they have been extremely helpful.

I have not used a different solution.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

It is a little pricey. I have more than five seats, so I pay a $1000/year.

It was my IT guy at the time that just did it. It was mainly so he could remote into the system and do any changes that he needed to do at the time. This was 10 plus years ago. Because it worked pretty well, if it is not broke, don't fix it.

What other advice do I have?

It is something I do not have to worry about. It works pretty well most of the time, but I know there are many other products out there now that people use.

it_user826314
Technology Director
Provides remote access, allows me to get inside our network to fix problems

• "Provides remote access, allows me to get inside our network to be able to fix problems."

What is our primary use case?

Remote access.

How has it helped my organization?

If I need to make a change on a server that’s not accessible to the internet, then I can connect to my LogMeIn account, then from our console into the server, or I can use LogMeIn directly to the server, if it’s on there.

What is most valuable?

The biggest thing is remote access, to be able to get inside our network to be able to fix problems.

What needs improvement?

It does what I need it to do. We are an educational institution, so anything to make it cheaper would be better because we don’t grow money on trees.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability. It's always there when I need it.

We don’t use it that often, but when we have it works.

I don’t think I’ve ever called the tech support.

This is our first of its kind that we've used.

It was straightforward.

It would be nice to have educational pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We’ve got 30 servers and 600 employees, so each one of them has a desktop. But they don’t use LogMeIn. We don’t do any asset management through LogMeIn. Everything is on-premise.

It works. We don’t use it as an enterprise solution, we’ve only got a couple people that use it. I don’t know the capability of it if you were to have 300 people using it. We just use it every now and then when we’ve got to connect to a certain machine, when we’re not on site.

CM
    Technology Coordinator at a government with 51-200 employees
    Enables unattended access so I can provide support during non-work hours

• "One of the improvements they made was a LogMeIn Central client - that was a couple years ago - and that has been great. You no longer have to use their web interface. There's actually a client that you can install, which lists all of the machines and servers that you can access. That works really well."
    • "Unattended Access, allows me to do support on machines that people are having trouble with, during non-working hours."

What is our primary use case?

IT support for about 200 work stations and 50 servers.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Unattended Access, because I do a lot of support on machines that people are having trouble with, and sometimes I need to do that during non-working hours.

I do not use it for remote printing. I do not use it for file transfers.

More than five years.

Very stable. It works really well.

In terms of scalability, it's very much so. They have different plans. One computer to 250 computers. They used to have 1 to 100, and then 100 to 250, then 250 to 500 devices. If you hit 251, the price doubles because you went over the 250 max. It's very scalable, other than the price.

Good tech support. They're excellent.

We used Remote Desktop, VNC, pcAnywhere. They were okay to use, but each machine had to have a separate port on it to connect to that machine, because they were all trying to port to the external world, the public internet, from the private network.

Then LogMeIn came out and didn't need any of that because it's cloud-managed, so it actually creates its own port for each machine, which is not a problem. And it works great.

Very straightforward. All you need is a general understanding of how things work through a web-based management system. Anybody's who really good with browser-based software, it's real easy.

The price. I complain about it all the time. It's gone up from relatively inexpensively to, right now, about $2000 a year for me, based upon the number of machines I have. You say $2000 is not that bad, but the price has jumped up significantly over the past few years.

They went three or four years without any price increases, and then they did a dramatic increase, three or four times the annual fee, two years in a row. But last year and this year it has been pretty stable. But they jumped significantly a couple years ago.

I'm not sure it's worth the money, but I haven't found anything as good or better.

It depends on what you need. If you need unattended access, then LogMeIn; I haven't found anyting better. If you can get away with having attended access, there's another product that I use as well called TeamViewer.

There is a free and also a paid version of TeamViewer, and the paid version will allow limited remote access, but you still need access to the remote machine to start with. On that, I always need to have someone at the remote machine when I'm trying to get into it, although sometimes that's good. But there are a lot of times when it's not good for me because I do a lot of things after hours, when people have gone home.

For example, say you're working in Seattle, Washington and you're having a problem with your workstation, but it's something I need to address that's going to take me a couple of hours, and I don't want to interrupt your work. I will sit down and say, "Fine, I'll tell you what. Leave your computer running tonight, and I will hook into it tonight after you've gone home, and I'll work on it. And you'll come in the morning and everything will be fixed." With TeamViewer, I can't do that one. With LogMeIn, I can.

What other advice do I have?

I don't use LogMeIn Central to keep my endpoints secure? I use a Fortinet gateway and a Juniper gateway, firewalls. I just use LogMeIn for remote access.

What we manage is all on-premise, but it's not all in one central location. We're a town. There are 11 different buildings that I have stuff in. It's all there, as opposed to out in the cloud someplace. I'm not using public or private clouds.

If you need remote desktop assistance, I would recommend LogMeIn. If you just need to help out friends, I would actually go with TeamViewer.

PF
      President at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      We can remotely access our clients' workstation servers, but speed and screen resolution are drawbacks

• "The screen. Make it clearer. The screen resolutions don't always line up. So clarity of the screen, and speed."

What is most valuable?

Remote access, we can remote access our clients, the workstation servers. We also use the reporting.

Everything we use in there is for remote access. That's really it. There are some other features, but I don't particularly use them. There's file transfer, I use that occasionally. Event logs, I'll use that occasionally. But mostly, I would say 90%, is remote access.

More than five years.

Occasionally, we encounter issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

We haven't really used the tech support.

It may have been pcAnywhere or Carbon Copy. It was so long ago that I don't remember.

It's simple.

It's getting more expensive and we are starting to evaluate other products. It's starting to become unaffordable.

We didn't really evaluate other products at the time.

What other advice do I have?

We don't leverage LogMeIn Central to keep end-points secure, we have our own, a different anti-virus that we use. There is some of our infrastructure in there, but it's mostly our clients'. And we're using Azure.

My advice is, be careful. At first it was free. Just be careful about the escalation.

I rank it as a seven out of 10. It would be a 10 if it was faster and the screen resolutions were clearer.

it_user809931
        IT Director
        Combines central security console with a central point for user administration

• "For me, it's convenience because I cover three different offices, and I need to be able to remotely access any of those three offices from anywhere, anytime. With LogMeIn Central, I can do that."
        • "I like the security aspect, that I can glance down and see quickly who's up to date on patches, and who has virus concerns."
        • "It needs backwards compatibility for non-Microsoft-supported operating systems, for example, XP and 2003. In situations where I have no options but to run older operating systems, I would like for it to be backwards compatible."

What is our primary use case?

Systems administration, servers and desktops; I am using it for security, although there is no public or private cloud involved.

It is also used for remote access for users.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The security, that I can glance down and see quickly who's up to date on patches, and who has virus concerns.

Also, that I have a solution for users to have remote access to their personal computers.

What needs improvement?

Cost. It's probably worth the value, but the price increases over the last five years are getting harder to justify.

Also, backwards compatibility for non-Microsoft-supported operating systems, for example, XP and 2003. In situations where I have no options but to run older operating systems, I would like for it to be backwards compatible.

It is a stable product.

My account covers 100 computers, and I use 98-99% of it most of the time.

I have not had much need to contact technical support, but the times I have, it's usually been for authentication, and it's been resolved quickly.

When I came to the company, it was five years ago, and a lot of the users were already using the free version, when it was free. The pricing was good enough that it was an easy answer.

It was straightforward.

It has a low learning curve, and once people get familiar with the web interface, it doesn't take very long at all to acclimate to performing functions administratively there.

I did evaluate other options. We went with it for pricing reasons, that it was the biggest bang for our buck, by combining the ability to have a central security console, as well as a central point for user administration.

I think we looked at a Bomgar solution. I think Citrix had a solution that we reviewed. It's been five years since I really got into it. GoToMyPC, I think, was a vendor we looked at. But it was cost prohibitive.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a small footprint in the IT department, it's a very efficient tool to give a very well-rounded perspective of remote access and security control on devices, and in an environment where it's geographically disbursed.

I rate it a nine out of 10. I think it's nearly impossible for anybody to ever reach the level of 10, in my book. I don't think that you're adequately evaluating software if you're giving 10s out to everyone. I would like to see continued progress and development.

it_user809928
        Director of Information Technologies at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
        It saves us drive time, we don't have to go to clients; we can just use remote access

• "It saves us drive time, we don't have to go to clients. We can just use remote access."
        • "The alerts are helpful."
        • "It's not really a true RMM product but more of just a remote access."

What is our primary use case?

Accessing customers' servers. We're managing servers, PCs, printers, monitors.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The ease of remoting into a server, to be able to have remote access. And also alerts.

What needs improvement?

It's not really a true RMM product but more of just a remote access.

More than five years.

It's pretty good, it's fairly stable.

No issues with scalability.

I haven't used tech support too much, but the times I have it's been fine.

I can't remember what we used before, but it's been awhile.

Straightforward.

Pricing is a little high. They require for LogMeIn Central to go into brackets. If you go over a certain amount of PCs or servers to access, going up to the next bracket is a big jump.

The price is a little high but it's competitive.

The licensing process is fairly easy.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't leveraging Central to keep end-points secure. We're actually using a product called Sophos for antivirus. All the IT infrastructure is with our customers, everything is on-premise for them, although there is some Office 365.

It's a good product, it's pretty solid. For what it is, the price is good. To make it a 10 out of 10 it needs to be cheaper.

John-Robinson
        Network Administrator
        I'm able to remotely update servers and workstations in off-hours

• "It’s enabled me to remotely do updates to servers and workstations in off-hours – without needing to travel into the office. Makes my life much easier."
        • "The ability to remotely access machines with no user intervention required at the remote terminal. Other software we used needed someone to click a link and do a download for me to provide support. Now, with LogMeIn Central, I can get in and fix things while they are away from their desks."
        • "No issues with stability. It has worked on every platform I’ve tried it on, and not interfered with anything."

What is our primary use case?

Remote access to servers when off-site, and remote access to users' PCs in remote offices.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The client could have a bit more functionality, as some changes can only be made through the web interface.  (Name and group changes for machines, for example).

Three to five years.

Honestly, no issues with stability. It has worked on every platform I’ve tried it on, and not interfered with anything.

No issues with scalability.

I have never needed to use tech support.

GoToAssist used previously, and still do in some cases. It was awkward, required user intervention, and often got stuck on admin things.

Straightforward. Click the installer, click "Next" a few times, finished.

It used to be a lot cheaper but then the price shot up (doubled over the span of two years), but it's hard to switch, and most competing products are similarly priced anyway.

A few, I don’t recall which ones. It was a number of years ago.

What other advice do I have?

With this software I am managing about 90 desktops/laptops in various states around the country, plus several of my servers in the main office in DC; all Windows, of various versions.

We are not leveraging LogMeIn Central to keep our endpoints secure. We use a combination of Trend Micro XGen and Malwarebytes Enterprise.

Currently we are about 99% onsite, with minimal cloud usage.

I give it eight out of 10 because it does the job exactly the way I need it to. It's lacking a few features, but as we are using the free client, that’s to be expected.

My advice would be, make sure you get enough licenses!

David Putz
          President
          Enables me to solve problems or do software upgrades without having to go onsite

• "I like being able to dial in and transfer files for updates."
          • "Sometimes it just fails to load."

What is our primary use case?

I support POS systems and security systems. Our primary software is MicroSale. I manage POS hardware/software, printers, and servers. I use it for solving Windows, software, and network issues that are solvable when dialing in. I also use it to monitor the systems, to see if the computers are up to date on everything.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest improvement is being able to solve problems or do upgrades of software without having to go onsite.

What is most valuable?

Being able to dial in and transfer files for updates.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it just fails to load.

More than five years.

Support has been very good when I have used it.

A few, and still use TeamViewer in some instances.

Straightforward.

Pricing is a little on the expensive side, compared to what TeamViewer has offered.

I had used others like VNC Connect, but I really didn't review any others.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding leveraging LogMeIn Central to keep endpoints secure, I haven't really looked at that.

Our IT infrastructure is on-premise.

I would tell others it is a great product, and will help your IT department a lot.

it_user801678
          Owner
          Remote access is the most valuable feature; allows me to support my clients from wherever I am

• "The ability to manipulate and do things to the computer and file manager, then boot to safe mode, and see what is going on and track alerts. I use it all."
          • "Remote access is really the biggest one, because in order to be able to support my clients from wherever I am, that is the biggest feature."
          • "I would not want to tell other companies about it because it is so powerful, it does so much, and it makes me look so good."
          • "I do not like the antivirus."
          • "The update issues are an absolute pain. It says it is updating things, but the updates do not go through, and you try your hardest to get the updates to go through and they don't. You go to the PC, but there is no update there, then you go back and it says there are updates."
          • "There are some screens that are just ugly and difficult to manipulate."

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT Consultant, and this is my life. This is how I access all the machines that I take care of. I administer all of the stuff for the network.

How has it helped my organization?

I function through LogMeIn, because it gives me everything I need. I spend all my days working in LogMeIn.

It is pretty invaluable, especially if you are an IT support person.

What is most valuable?

• Remote access is really the biggest one, because in order to be able to support my clients from wherever I am, that is the biggest feature.
          • The ability to manipulate and do things to the computer and file manager, then boot to safe mode, and see what is going on and track alerts. I use it all.

What needs improvement?

The antivirus. I do not like the antivirus, and the update issues are an absolute pain. It says it is updating things, but the updates do not go through, and you try your hardest to get the updates to go through and they don't. You go to the PC, but there is no update there, then you go back and it says there are updates.

It is a very vicious circle/cycle with it.

I manage 160 machines and it says there are updates. I run the updates. They do not run. Well, what happened?

I will go into the machine and I will run all the updates, then it says they are done. I come back, check the LogMeIn screen, and it says there are four updates. Well no, there is not. I can't clear the updates. I can't make it go away. The computer says there are no more updates and my screen is lit up like a Christmas tree because there is a bunch of yellow (updates that haven't run) on it due to the updates and patches.

I ran them, but they are not there, they won't run, and I don't know how to clear them. It's very frustrating, especially when you're trying to do that. If I have to manually open every single box, click updates and patches, and log in and log off, it defeats the purpose. The LogMeIn is supposed to allow me to push updates to all my machines. It is not doing that, so that is a very big frustration.

I have spent hours and weekends going through and correcting buttons, and it does not make a difference. I have not changed many of them. I could show you screens of them now and it is the same thing. Intel updates Intel patches, this won't run, etc. It just doesn't clear and drives you nuts. Plus, you can't tell if you spent time on the machine or not because it has not gone away.

Also, there are some screens that are just ugly and difficult to manipulate.

More than five years.

A long time ago, I had issues with the stability. I have not issues in sometime.

It is able to handle everything that I have got. I am by no means a large size organization, but I have not come anywhere close to any maxing out anything.

I have not had to call them many times. I have called a few times, but most times I have not really had to, so when I have everything has been all right.

No complaints here.

I have used many. I chose LogMeIn because it gives me everything I need.

I have used SolarWinds, BeAnywhere, Bomgar, and all kinds of different things over the years.

It just took some work configuring around. I did have a little help when I first set it all up, but I have not really needed anything ever since.

It sucks that I am paying for LogMeIn Central, LogMeIn Pro, and LogMeIn Rescue, plus LogMeIn Ignition, which is the mobile app. It costs me a lot of money every month at LogMeIn.

It really is an expensive product for me.

I still run SolarWinds. I have TeamViewer, I have other products that I still run as well. It is just I have LogMeIn on absolutely everything I support, because it is the most flexible tool. I can even access it from my phone.

It is a big deal to have it on mobile. Here is a good example. I just had a network in a building recently with issues and 45 machines in there that went offline. Therefore, I simply went to my phone, then went to each PC, and as they came back online, I could see on my phone as I went from place to place which machines still needed to be reset.

I did not have to follow up and log into a computer. I did not have to run around doing whatever. I could just access it right from my phone and tell what was going on.

I have even supported PCs with just my phone. It is not pretty, mind you, but I have done it.

I remember ages ago having stability issues (though now it has been very good since). But because of this, I ended up working with so many third-party people, and they would go, "Well, we have this for a product." Then, I would show them what I can do with LogMeIn, and there was no comparison. I can do so much more than they can with their remote control programs.

What other advice do I have?

I would not want to tell other companies about it because it is so powerful, it does so much, and it makes me look so good. If somebody is looking at it seriously, or everything that it allows them to do, it is a very good product.