Looker Overview

What is Looker?

Looker is a data platform that brings data and business teams together by making it easy for everyone to explore and understand the data that drives business.

Download the Embedded BI Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Looker Customers

Yahoo!, Etsy, Kohler, Hipcamp, Hubspot, Kickstarter, Venmo, Dollar Shave Club, 600+ customer

Looker Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Head of Data & Analytics at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to centralize and normalize data for end users.

What other advice do I have?

Looker can do anything SQL can do. If you are a SQL shop, you want to centralize data definitions, and you want programmable flexibility, then Looker is a wonderful choice.
CEO at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
We can embed professional dashboards directly into our multi-tenant SaaS with row-level access filtering out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

When implementing the product, make sure you already understand your data and your use cases very well. Involve a data architect from the start; and definitely take advantage of Looker's amazing customer success team.
Find out what your peers are saying about Looker, ThoughtSpot, Sisense and others in Embedded BI Tools. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Business Analyst at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Business users can create graphs, reports, and so on using Explore. Each analysis can be added to a dashboard to provide KPI reports.

What other advice do I have?

You should know what it's good for. It's great for enabling business insights via its data visualization tools. Scheduled reports are fantastic for keeping teams updated on progress towards accomplishing goals or identifying issues before they become critical. Having someone who is experienced with SQL and intuition in UX write the LookML, so that it is easy for the familiar business user to explore the data to answer their questions. Looker's discourse offers deeper analysis opportunities that can guide analysts in better utilizing LookML as well.
Business Operations Associate at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It greatly reduced the strain on the few SQL-proficient people in our organization. I would like them to spend more time on making the interface user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

Looker is an extremely valuable product that can really transform your company's ability to use data to answer challenging questions. It does require a significant investment, both of money and time, to use it successfully, so it shouldn't be purchased if there's not a willingness to devote resources to it both for the initial setup and on an ongoing basis.
Digital Product Manager at a retailer with 51-200 employees
I use the SQL runner instead of having to connect to a slave DB. We needed to build customization ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

You must have a strong engineering team and a team member dedicated to set-up and customization of product.
Data Analyst (Data Engineering) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Our BI team designs and schedules their own reports. Maintaining the schemas and files behind the scenes can become a chore.

What other advice do I have?

While Looker is great for simple visualizations and is a great start in terms of providing a framework for dynamically generating graphics, don't expect it to do any heavy lifting. It struggles with large data sets, and the syntax will often require you to feed refactored data into Looker.
Head Of Data Warehouse at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
LookML modeling and its extension abilities allow Knewton to use one code base for multi-data center data warehousing.

What other advice do I have?

Start small. Don't try to build a whole complex warehouse. Pick an important and simple business problem and solve that first. Get clear on how LookML works in your company before building a lot of explorable tables.
Data Solutions Manager at a recruiting/HR firm with 501-1,000 employees
Non-technical people without significant SQL experience use it to explore data.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to build too much too fast. What I mean by that is that it's really easy to "build stuff" in Looker. If I had it to do over again, I might take a more measured approach to determine exactly what I build, and document it better. Looker opens up the data world to a lot of new people, and it's so easy to spin up a quick dashboard, it's easy to forget what you've done (or somebody else did) six months down the road. Also, make sure you truly understand all your data. Once you open it up, people will use it. Sometimes, users make assumptions about the data that might not be true. We LOVEā€¦
Product Categories
Embedded BI Tools
Download our free Embedded BI Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Looker, ThoughtSpot, Sisense, and more!
Quick Links