Kevin Heires
Product and Materials Manager at Case Systems, Inc.
Rapidly creates a visual representation of what I am doing

• "Lucidchart's capabilities for understanding workflows is high. I use a couple of different programs, like MindManager, and what I like about using Lucidchart is that it is all web-based. So, I can quickly go into a web browser, drag and drop a bunch of files, pictures, or notes, draw some flow lines, and rapidly be able to create a visual representation of what I am trying to do. As a product manager, I can quickly organize thoughts that way and show people what we are working on."
  • "It would be nice to have more features that help me visually present information. Since I use it as a canvas, my use case for it is probably very specific. I use it as a way to present information to people visually on a large mind map. So, it would be nice to be able to have more graphical things to clean it up, like a header, banners, or something to help draw attention to certain areas. I would also like more infographic-like features, because I am kind of limited to float chart shapes. This makes the solution a little cumbersome."

What is our primary use case?

I do a lot of strategy stuff with it:

1. Mapping things out that way.
  2. Laying out product plans and roadmaps.
  3. Visually showing people some of that information.

I use it for general mapping, more like a canvas. I'm a single user who uses it for our company for a very specific need.

We are using Lucidchart through the web.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidchart's capabilities for understanding workflows is high. I use a couple of different programs, like MindManager, and what I like about using Lucidchart is that it is all web-based. So, I can quickly go into a web browser, drag and drop a bunch of files, pictures, or notes, draw some flow lines, and rapidly be able to create a visual representation of what I am trying to do. As a product manager, I can quickly organize thoughts that way and show people what we are working on.

I do more show and tell with it. We don't really collaborate too much. We are mostly just sending, "Here is where we are right now with this." We don't really collaborate on the same document, which I know could be a really powerful function. We just don't use it that way yet.

What is most valuable?

I can throw everything into a window, copy and paste images, and then quickly add flow lines. Instead of using a bunch of Word documents or Excel spreadsheets, I often compile a lot of data or images into a single document, then use links in the comments or attach to pictures that help me go to that source. For example, if I am doing a competitor analysis or looking for visual inspirations for new product development, I could say, "Here is where this originally came from. We can research this product or identify what this competitor may be doing," then have a direct link. It is very visual, and that is the best part of it. So, I don't have 20 different Excel sheets on competitor analysis, instead I have one big document showing a bunch of images of a competitor's stuff.

What needs improvement?

A feature that I would love to see on Lucidchart is the ability to collapse information and expand it out. If someone's looking for a reference to what I'm talking about, MindManager is an example of how you can collapse data down. The best part of that solution is I can have very large maps, but simplify it visually for people. Then, if we talk about it during a meeting, I can expand it out with a lot more data that can be provided. Whereas, with Lucidchart, I need to have a big canvas. Oftentimes, it gets really large and it's kind of overwhelming. If I'm in a presentation that I'm sharing, such as phased releases of a product line, it can be overwhelming if I have 100 pictures on there. There is too much going on, as far as comprehending it.

It would be nice to have more features that help me visually present information. Since I use it as a canvas, my use case for it is probably very specific. I use it as a way to present information to people visually on a large mind map. So, it would be nice to be able to have more graphical things to clean it up, like a header, banners, or something to help draw attention to certain areas. I would also like more infographic-like features, because I am kind of limited to float chart shapes. This makes the solution a little cumbersome.

If I have a presentation on a new product line to my board. I wouldn't want to use Lucidchart because it still looks like a real rudimentary flow chart. Whereas, if it gave me a bit more control over the visuals, I would be able to throw a bunch of information in it, rough it in, go back and clean it up visually, and then make everything pop out now that the flow has been laid out. That would be really nice to have. That has always been the downfall for me: It still lacks that visual. Usability is really high, but visually, it is still lacking.

I have been using Lucidchart for about a year.

I am the only one driving it right now in the organization, but I certainly think there is more potential for it. I have been kind of testing it out.

The technical support was good, but I haven't used it for a long time.

Lucidchart is better than keeping a bunch of Excel spreadsheets, which I end up losing or haven't named correctly. This way, I can visually see the work that I have done, the competitors, and quickly attach images.

I came across Lucidchart when I was searching for something like a whiteboard-type system, where I could throw a lot of information on there and present.

I am satisfied with the price and features that I am getting out of it.

The pricing and licensing are fine. It has a lot of features that I prefer over some of the other programs, which is good. Being that it is web-based, I feel that it is acceptable that it's on a monthly pay basis. However, I think I pay on an annual basis, which is fine with me.

We have existing solutions, like Visio and MindManager. Lucidchart is way more versatile than Visio or MindManager; it gives me more freedom to do more with it. Lucidchart is a direct replacement for Visio. Lucidchart is easy to just pull up if I'm at home working on my tablet. I don't have to have a direct license, like I would with Visio, which would need to be downloaded. So, if I were to deploy Lucidchart to the rest of my product development team, we don't need to have it downloaded, like Visio, with a Microsoft license. We can just go online and use this web-based program.

I use Lucidchart daily. We originally intended to have this solution transfer to engineering as well as manufacturing for their purposes, but they are continuing to use Visio because it is already deployed.

I don't quite understand how Lucidspark is differentiating other than it looks simplified. I don't understand why I would want to use their other program. Right now, it looks like it is included, but I don't want to use it because it looks like it limits the features that I can have over the regular Lucidchart.

What other advice do I have?

I love the program as it is so far. Being able to link comments and things to images has been fantastic for me. For me, using it as a solution for whiteboard, canvas-type, thought-thinking, mind mapping has been fantastic.

I would rate this solution as an eight (out of 10). Feature and functionality-wise, it is fantastic. I just wish visually that I had a bit more control to polish it up.

Scott Rogers
Director of Strategic Accounts at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
A faster way to do architecture; you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time

• "Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows is excellent. The way that you put together the parts of charts and edit the chart are all very intuitive and easy to use."
  • "Sometimes, I have created charts with a lot of layers, which locks down parts of the chart and hides parts of the chart to edit it. If they have a better way to deal with specific layers when it gets complex, then that would be helpful. I would like to see something like an illustrator program, where they have a pallet of these layers that I want and don't want as well as being able to see each layer individually. That is the one thing that could be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for primarily for two things:

1. Website architecture design.
  2. Process flow diagrams.

Most of our company's designers and I are on Macs along with a few other Mac users, then everybody else is on Windows machines. I also have a Windows machine, so it has to work on both.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for a lot of things. It is the easiest way that we have found to document processes, and we have a lot of those. We do a lot of web architecture. It's also the easiest way to create those charts and work collaboratively, so multiple people can be in making edits. We use it a lot more than I thought we would.

We don't email documents around. Anybody can get in and make changes to the document that they need to. This is one of the key aspects of it, especially now we are all working remote and particularly when you're working on something like website architecture.

It has become a little simple and clearer to finalize things, like website architecture, by clearly sharing them with the client. So, they understand every page and where it fits into the site.

It is a faster way to do architecture. As far as having some project processes documented, you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time and ask a lot of questions about, "How do we do this?" That part of it is much more efficient.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Lucidchart is its flexibility of how you put things together along with its intuitive sense. That makes it really fast to put together, unlike some other platforms. It has a nice balance between being powerful and simple, where some of the other platforms go too far and are too powerful.

It is great for complex process design. There is a balance between power and simplicity. It lets me do everything that I need it to do without it being complex to implement.

Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows is excellent. The way that you put together the parts of charts and edit the chart are all very intuitive and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, I have created charts with a lot of layers, which locks down parts of the chart and hides parts of the chart to edit it. If they have a better way to deal with specific layers when it gets complex, then that would be helpful. I would like to see something like an illustrator program, where they have a pallet of these layers that I want and don't want as well as being able to see each layer individually. That is the one thing that could be helpful.

I have been using it for a couple of years.

I have never run into a problem. I have never had the site crash on me or lose a document or document file. So, stability has never been a question or issue.

We are a relatively small company of 40 people, where 10 to 15 people have used Lucidchart. There are probably eight of us who are real regular users of it, so scalability hasn't been a factor.

Our users' job roles vary. They are mostly account management and development.

I don't know that I have ever really used the formal technical support. I have used the documentation on it, where I had to look up how to do things, but I have never had to reach out to the technical support.

I have had clients send me Visio files. However, most people at the company were using Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Word or PowerPoint.

The main reason why we went with Lucidchart was I don't like the solution in Microsoft Office and PowerPoint. They were very limited in what you can get them to do. They were also very slow to make things look the way you want, so it was not an adequate solution.

It is definitely easy to implement. It will not take a ton of time to get up and running using the tool.

We did not set it up company-wide. If people have a need for it, then we create an account for them, and that's it.

You can create a basic chart in five to six minutes without any problems. 99 percent of the things that you want to do are right there and exceedingly obvious on how to do them.

As far as deployment, the only thing that I would tell people is go use it. They can figure it out without having me train them on it. If they need to use it, it's intuitive enough that I don't provide any training on how to use it. Everyone figures it out pretty easily.

It always saves time if you don't have to email things back and forth, then wonder if you have the latest version.

We are documenting some processes which were not documented before at all. I think that will help make projects go more smoothly in the future.

The pricing and licensing are fine, though I wish they didn't require you to buy the licenses in batches of five.

The overall suite is great at helping us to visualize each step of the process, from brainstorming initial ideas to turning those ideas into reality. We looked at a number of brainstorming whiteboard applications and decided to go with Lucidspark. It is the easiest to use. It had all the features that we were looking for. The fact that it integrates with Lucidchart is nice. So, if we're doing a whiteboard session to create architecture, we can immediately translate it into a formal hierarchy document.

What other advice do I have?

It does everything that we want it to do. I would give it a 10 (out of 10). I think it's great.

It is not a huge deal for us that the suite can be centrally managed by a unified administration console, but it is nice.

We use some of the integrations with Microsoft. They're somewhat important, but not a deal breaker. We wish they would incorporate them into Lucidspark. So, if I make a chart and want to put it into a presentation, then it is nice to be able to make a change to the chart and have it automatically update in a presentation without having to reimport it. We are also heavy users of Microsoft Teams, so it's nice that I can share charts within Teams.

We don't really use it for new teams and hierarchy charts.

We really haven't used Lucidchart's ability to compare versions of documents. We probably should because it happens. The client will ask for a change to the architecture and see what it was before. However, we have not utilized this feature a lot.

Learn what your peers think about Lucidchart. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kumud Naugai
Business Support Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Real-time collaboration, with everyone working on the same version of a document, decreased project development time

• "The templates are quite valuable, as is the fact that you can export to PDF, to a Visio document, or as a picture. These are valuable features for me because they give me the ability to make changes in any other product that I'm using. I'm not bound by one platform."
  • "One area for improvement is in the fact that I had to create two sheets. I had to create a process flow diagram, and I had to create a timeline. I wasn't able to do that in one sheet. If they could add that kind of feature, where you could input a timeline and different types of templates into one worksheet, that would be really useful."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it to create a process document showing a process flow with a timeline.

I'm using the web version.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides real-time collaboration so that everyone is accessing and working on the same version of a document and that has made the project development process faster. I've tried it with a few of my team members, and we've all worked on things simultaneously. The application provided good, real-time updates of the changes that were being made. It saved us almost a week getting the final product out.

The ability to look at a diagram, rather than reading through written documents, also saves time and money, absolutely. My manager wanted a visual representation of the process flow, and Lucidchart helped immensely. I was stuck for two to three months when trying to make a visual representation of the process flow and I wasn't able to get it done. Using Lucidchart, I did it in one day. I asked for a week, but I went back with the final process flow and diagram within a day, which was really surprising. They were expecting me to take a week to build it. It has increased efficiency.

What is most valuable?

The templates are quite valuable, as is the fact that you can export to PDF, to a Visio document, or as a picture. These are valuable features for me because they give me the ability to make changes in any other product that I'm using. I'm not bound by one platform.

When it comes to documenting things like processes and systems, it's pretty good. Everything is already created via a template and then you just input your details and make the small changes as necessary. It's quite time-efficient and easy to create charts.

And it is definitely important that it accommodates both Mac and PC users so that you are not bound to one kind of operating system. In organizations there are different users. Somebody will be using a Mac and somebody else will be using a Windows PC. It's essential that the tool is created for both operating systems instead of just one.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement is in the fact that I had to create two sheets. I had to create a process flow diagram, and I had to create a timeline. I wasn't able to do that in one sheet. If they could add that kind of feature, where you could input a timeline and different types of templates into one worksheet, that would be really useful. I had to include two and then cut and paste, and that was an extra step for me.

I've been using Lucidchart for four weeks.

While using it on the web it has been pretty stable. It would be even better if I could use it as an enterprise-wide software as a service, and not on the web.

I believe it is pretty scalable but I can't judge how it would perform if it was deployed on a server, whether that server was Lucidchart's or on-premises. But my initial impression is that it is quite scalable.

It is currently being used within my team only, consisting of three people, and we are all business support analysts or service analysts. I don't have the power to decide if it will be deployed further in my organization, but I would definitely recommend it. We could submit ideas of new, cool applications that would be helpful for our organization. I'm definitely going to do that.

I haven't used tech support because it is fairly simple to use.

I went with it because we couldn't do certain things in Visio. I was Googling my use case and Lucidchart gave me templates and options that could combine to create a single process diagram with a timeline.

Switching from Visio to Lucidchart, the migration, was pretty easy. I was able to import my Visio files into the solution. That was pretty important because we had other process diagrams already created in Visio. We had to bring them over to Lucidchart so that we maintain them in a single platform.

The setup is straightforward. There was no deployment because I'm using the application on the web.

I have definitely seen return on investment in the amount of time it has saved versus the fees I had to pay. If I would have spent a week working on a product and still not have been able to get to the final diagram, that would have wasted a lot of man-hours.

The licensing is pretty cost-effective but I haven't considered it on an enterprise level.

Visio is fine for creating charts but I found it difficult to go through the Help section and find out how to do things in Visio. Lucidchart was easy to navigate and provided an easy way to build a chart. Using Visio was very time-consuming while Lucidchart was intuitive.

Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows are pretty good. With Visio, there's one thing that is missing when creating process flows. If I have to create direction arrows from one box to another, it is easier in Lucidchart to connect them. And it is very intuitive in the sense that it automatically does so if it is a sequential process, and that functionality does not exist in Visio.

I briefly tried another tool from Atlassian but it had the limitation of only working within Atlassian's tools. That was the only other product that I considered before Lucidchart.

What other advice do I have?

Lucidchart is quite interesting and an easy-to-use application. It offers you a range of templates that are ready to use. You can import your previous files from any other platform that you were using. It has various integrations that can be very beneficial if you are using enterprise applications like Slack and Salesforce, for example.

I have not tested the integrations but I expect they are quite useful because we use Atlassian Confluence and it would really be good to directly export from this application to Confluence. We do create process flows and flow charts in Confluence to make our customer base and to keep our Knowledge Base up to date. I haven't used the integrations because they have to go through a security review and be approved for use.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using it is that you need to take a leap of faith and try something new. Read the reviews, read the FAQs, and see the functionality. If you don't try, you won't get to know if it can help with what you are doing.

RR
People Performance & Culture - Generalist at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Makes things simpler and helps us in looking at the processes in a different light

• "The flow chart is most valuable. It is a very user-friendly and simple-to-use product. Quite quickly, I was able to understand how to use it and just get on with my process flow."
  • "It can have more colors or graphics. Currently, it is a little boring. It can have a little bit more fun factor."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for flow charts, organization charts, and process flows. In terms of deployment, we have a subscription for it. It has a login and a password, and we have to log in.

How has it helped my organization?

I joined my new company at the beginning of May. I'm in HR, and it is called the People Performance and Culture (PPC) team. One of the things I was told to do was figure out the process flow for onboarding. Because it is APAC and we have some people in India, Japan, China, and Singapore, it was confusing to understand who comes under which part during onboarding. My manager wanted to make a process flow, so I decided to make a flow chart. I literally just searched for flow chart software or easy-to-use tools on the web, and I came across Lucidchart. I really enjoyed using it. I was quite quickly able to understand how to use it and get on with my process flow. This process flow has really helped all the regions in understanding how onboarding works across all the regions. In the future, we can easily see how the process works rather than thinking it is too complicated, and we don't want to get into it. It just makes things simpler. Now, more people use it, and obviously, I can add more features to it if I want to. I think we have used it for our org chart as well. We've just rolled out a new org chart. I wasn't part of that, but I can see that they've used Lucidchart for that.

It is very useful for documenting things such as processes, systems, new teams, etc. because it has everything. It is very easy to document, and it is very easy to see the date you created or gave access to something.

It provides real-time collaboration among users so that everyone is accessing and working on the same version of a document. This real-time collaboration has affected our project development process. I was able to get someone to look at the org chart while I was working on it. As opposed to making changes at the end, I could make changes as I was working on a document. Its real-time collaboration has saved us time. It has approximately saved an hour worth of work.

The ability for people to look at a diagram rather than reading through written documents has also saved time, and as a result, money. It has saved about an hour.

It has definitely helped us in realizing efficiencies in our projects. It has made everything more visual. Once things are more visual, it becomes easier for me to see whether there are glitches in the process, whether there is a better way of doing things, and whether we have too many steps for one thing. The visual aid has definitely helped us look at the processes in a different light.

We use Microsoft Teams in our company, and one of the reasons for using Lucidchart is that you can integrate it with Microsoft Teams. If I need to send somebody a document through Microsoft Teams, it is very easy. This integration is highly important for our operations because otherwise, we will have to use another solution or way to do the same thing. We are already using Microsoft Teams, so it is much easier to tag it on to Microsoft Teams.

What is most valuable?

Its organizational charts are pretty good for visualizing and understanding team hierarchies and relationships. These organizational charts are very visual. The colors also help. It is also easy to create an organizational chart.

I use it for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows, and I would rate it really high from this aspect because I found it very easy to use. It has some suggested themes, so I can make them look pretty. There was access to videos or tutorials if I got stuck. That was really good as well.

What needs improvement?

It can have more colors or graphics. Currently, it is a little boring. It can have a little bit more fun factor.

I have started to use it very recently.

It is quite stable and reliable.

It is quite scalable. We are a small department. Currently, two departments have access to it. We have only about 30 people, and out of them, only four are using it.

I am pretty new here, and we're just figuring out APAC processes and hiring new people. I will be using Lucidchart a lot more in the coming months because we're trying to figure out all the processes and the process flows amongst all the regions.

It is pretty good. They were videos available for any questions that I had while I was using the solution. I'm more of a visual person, so the videos really helped.

It was straightforward. It took just a few minutes.

I did it on my own. I was using the free account because you can use a free account. It turned out that we had a company account with Lucidchart. My manager gave me access to that, and then basically, I uploaded the flow chart that I had created over there.

For its deployment and maintenance, probably only one or two people are required.

I did come across Visio, but I looked at Lucidchart first. Visio wasn't as user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I have definitely told people to use it. It really makes things easier. The visualization is really good, simple, and neat. For me, visuals work much better, and it is easier to spot mistakes when you can see it all in one go rather than in different steps. I would definitely advise people to integrate it and use it as much.

In my organization, we currently only use PCs, but it is good that it is compatible with Mac and PC. I have not used its ability to compare versions of documents. I have also not used any other product from their suite.

I would rate Lucidchart a nine out of 10. It just needs a little bit more fun factor.

Yun Oh
Game Designer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Makes it easy to collaborate and share

• "The best part of Lucidchart is its comfortableness when sharing it with my teammates. Lucidchart provides me a folder for my ERD. I can make a dozen lists of my chart, then share them with my teammates easily through the diagrams of Lucidchart. This is their main comfortableness, which is the reason why I choose Lucidchart rather than some other chart program."
  • "They could provide more documentation or tutorials of ERDs or DDD on the Lucidchart site. That could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I make the domain-driven designs (DDDs) for my teammates as well as ER diagrams (ERDs).

I usually use Lucidchart with my work for some idea improvements or brainstorming.

How has it helped my organization?

Our company has a linking system where we can share hierarchies and general information with our teammates. I use Lucidchart to visualize the main system of our old game systems, like the DDD.

I make the domain-driven design, and through that I make the ERD. Then, through the ERD, I make the database schema. So, all the charts that I make or propose for new systems go through that process.

Lucidchart provides real-time collaboration among users so everyone is accessing and working on the same version of a document. First, I make the proposal or concept of the domain, then I review it with my teammates. If they accept the whole concept of the domain, I make it as a domain model through Lucidchart. So, that loop of feedback makes a better version of the DDD, ERD, or schema.

The concept of a product is something that can always change over time. So, it is good to have a diagram for visualization that makes changes easily. This is the essence of Lucidchart. I fully agree with the concept of Lucidchart because of this reason.

What is most valuable?

The best part of Lucidchart is its comfortableness when sharing it with my teammates. Lucidchart provides me with a folder for my ERD. I can make a dozen lists of my chart, then share them with my teammates easily through the diagrams of Lucidchart. This is their main comfort, which is the reason why I choose Lucidchart rather than some other chart program.

We use Lucidchart for documenting things, such as processes, systems, new teams, etc. I can share these via email to my product team using a Lucidchart shared link. I also declare the main domain of our game as Lucidchart. Then, the majority of my work is the relationship between domains and visualization through Lucidchart.

It is very important that Lucidchart accommodates Mac and PC because of my job. When our designers usually make their presentations to customers or my teammates, we usually use the iPad. Lucidchart also provides an application version that works from PC to iPad. It is very comfortable to use and present to someone with my iPad. Therefore, it's very important to provide versions for both Mac and PC.

What needs improvement?

There are some situations where there is a difference between their iPad, mobile, and PC versions. For example, when I use Lucidchart on a PC, the PC provides a layer system for Lucidchart. When I am using the PC, I can assign or change the layer of my chart. However, when I use Lucidchart on the iPad or mobile, I cannot find any UI or UX that provides a layer system. I am unable to find the shape or other layers on the mobile or iPad.

If there were any charts from Lucidchart that can be shared as real-time collaboration through Slack or DataPal, then that would make it better to use as a software program.

I have used Lucidchart for two months.

It is stable.

There are 50 employees in our company who already use Lucidchart. So, everyone in the company is using Lucidchart.

I have not used the technical support.

In the past, I used draw.io for ERDs.

We switched because Lucidchart has standalone libraries, which makes it comfortable for me to create some draw charts or data flows. draw.io doesn't have anything like standalone libraries. When I use draw.io, I usually have to make my own standalone library for my work. Using Lucidchart, there is no reason to make my own standalone libraries because Lucidchart already has many good standalone libraries for their ERDs.

Lucidchart is essential. When I use other charts programs, like draw.io, there are no standard shapes nor standalone libraries. They cannot import my ERD or schema to a secure database. When I found Lucidchart, the program already provided the input system to SQL and MySQL. So, it is very comfortable to use this solution rather than another program.

I also switched from Visio to Lucidchart. Visio does provide some good functions and nice directories, but it is very hard to use on an iPad or mobile that is iOS-based. The major feature which made me decide to use Lucidchart is the compatibility because Visio doesn't provide good compatibility for the mobile or iPad.

draw.io is a free program, but they provide very few standard libraries and no import programs. Visio has good features, but it does not have the compatibility. The reason that I selected Lucidchart was for my chart program.

There were no problems downloading this program to my computer or iPad. Our country has a very good trial on the Internet.

The real-time collaboration saves two hours a day for my team.

The ability for people to look at a diagram, rather than reading through written documents, has saved my organization time, and as a result money. Developers/artists don't want to read the documentation. They want to see the essence and relationship of their concept. They just want some simple diagrams to help them imagine their main concept. So, the visual diagrams are better than the documentation.

Other programs don't provide a print system, which Lucidchart does.

What other advice do I have?

It is not a complex system. It is very easy to use, collaborate, and share. I like it. It is easy to share, easy to learn, and has compatibility with PCs and iPads.

I already learned most of the information on how to make a schema or DDD in other assets. So, I did not use Lucidchart as my starting material.

We plan on exploring the solution’s integrations with Atlassian, Salesforce, Microsoft, Google Workspace, or other solutions.

I would rate this solution as an eight and a half out of 10.

Emilia Maria D'Anzica
CEO at growthmolecules
Easy to use, helpful for mapping out processes, saves time and improves efficiency, promotes collaboration

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of use, and just being able to drag and drop."
  • "The layering is something that can be improved because sometimes, it is confusing for me when I'm trying to get to the layer that I want to edit."

What is our primary use case?

I use Lucidchart for creating journey maps and educating customer success managers on best practices when it comes to managing customers, relationships, and difficult conversations.

People are visual, so I typically try to visualize what I'm trying to say and Lucidchart makes it easy.

As a Mac user, and with most people in the area using a Mac, it is important to me that Lucidchart accommodates both platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidchart is really useful for mapping out processes, even if you're just trying to think about how to write them out or relay an idea to other people. Being able to draw it out is very helpful.

The organizational charts for visualizing and understanding hierarchies and relationships are very simple to draw out, then share and quickly make edits, according to feedback.

Lucid's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows are good, as you can use layering on top of your ideas. There are also so many templates that I can start with, I don't have to start from scratch when trying to visualize the concept. It's very easy and clean to use.

I collaborate with other team members for assessments of clients' customer success teams, playbooks, and education. The ability to do this absolutely makes our process faster, mainly because you can visualize what you're trying to say, so people understand it faster.

I'd say that it cuts the amount of time we spend in half because you don't have to write emails back and forth. You can see what they've changed, even in real-time.

Using this platform has helped me to realize efficiencies because I can visualize what I'm trying to tell the person. Instead of writing it out or taking a long time trying to figure out how to do it in PowerPoint, I can just drag and drop so many different images to convey what I want to say into one page, as opposed to taking multiple pages or wasting time trying to figure out which icon or how to draw something out when they already have templates in there.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use, and just being able to drag and drop. Although it is easy to use, it has so many capabilities that you can make it as complex as you want.

There are many templates that I can start from, which is another valuable feature.

It allows me to look at and compare different versions of my documents, which is something that I do to look at the high-level changes when I'm working with a colleague. When I'm collaborating on work for a client, it's really important to understand what it is that the customer wants to relay to their team. Even if we're on a task like writing a blog, it is important that we're working together to make sure that we're visualizing what we want to convey to the audience.

There is a lot of good training available.

What needs improvement?

When using the interface to maneuver about the axis, I struggle sometimes because I want to move only one line, as opposed to the entire sheet that I've just created.

I have been working with Lucidchart for two years.

This is a very stable product and I've never had an issue with it.

It is very good in terms of scaling because you can save folders and content, and you can share it easily. I'm a small consulting firm and there are just three of us. One is an advisor and the other helps build the assessments and playbooks.

If my company grows and I get more clients, then I will expand my usage of Lucidchart.

I have been in contact with technical support and it was fine. I'm paying the lowest tier and I don't expect them to get back to me right away, which is fine.

I have used other similar products but I have given up. I feel this one is just very simple to use. For example, I have used Visio, PowerPoint, and I've dabbled with Bizagi but I really disliked it and it's super expensive. I quickly dropped that one. I've also played around with MURAL.

Specifically, with Visio, I used it years ago but I hated it. I found it complicated to use and also, they may not have had an Apple version at the time for the Mac. I was very happy when the company that I was working for introduced this to me.

What I really liked about Lucidchart is the ease of use. I went to their conference and I thought that it was well put together. I really liked the content, and it's stuff like that that matters.

The company that I used to work for performed the initial setup for me. Then, once I started my own company, I just kept using it.

I have seen a return on investment with respect to time, although I don't have enough clients yet to be using it as much as I wish I could. My return comes from creating playbooks and assessments and visualizing.

The pricing is very reasonable, and they have a free trial available that you can play with.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to take advantage of the free trial. Use the templates and they have a lot of good training available, so take advantage of it.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Lucidchart is that there are a lot of templates and ways to be efficient by using a platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

LD
Change Analyst at a leisure / travel company with 501-1,000 employees
Documents processes and systems and has good visuals

• "The most valuable features are the different templates that they have already created, as well as all the different shapes you can use in the process charts because each shape stands for a different element or thing that's being done. It's easy to distinguish between different steps using the already set-out shapes."
  • "In terms of improvement, they should make it very clear, whether it's a single A4 page or two A4 pages, it should be mapped out. Either I don't know how to use it, or it's not there, but having to stick to margins so I can see what's going to be on different pages when I print it or move it to a PDF has been my only challenge so far."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to document processes in the business organization.

How has it helped my organization?

One way we benefit from it is that multiple different people can be working on a single document and they can also make comments from different points of the process. My manager will comment that something needs to change or be moved. Then I can edit that really easily, see exactly what they're referring to, and understand the changes. It's really collaborative as well.

For me, the biggest thing is that it has a really good visual representation of what's happening. It also easily exports to things like PDF and Microsoft Word so that you can send them easily. The collaborative element and how good the visuals are the best parts for me. I am referring to real-time collaboration among users and also comparing versions of documents.

Real-time collaboration has definitely saved us time. I haven't had to call people back and forth and make changes like that. Whereas we're both just editing in a single document. It saves around an hour or two a day.

The version comparison features are very important. I'll often analyze what the initial process is, and then how it's going to be in a new business situation. It's important to be able to see those changes because they need to be mapped in a different way for the original process. It's very useful.

Lucidchart has helped us to realize inefficiencies. You can see what seems like taking too long or what step in the process doesn't need to be there. It has definitely helped me to identify those and remove steps from a process, make recommendations to the client, and what doesn't need to be done or different areas that can be automated.

What is most valuable?

Their ability to document things like processes and systems is a ten out of ten. It's very easy to use and very user-friendly. You don't need a lot of training. I didn't get any training and I could use it from the get-go because everything's very clear. They have the tools you need to make all the changes you need, which are very clear, and a lot of the things just automatically fix up for you. If you drop an arrow, it will automatically connect it to another box, make sure it's straight, and adjust all those sorts of things. It's a massive time saver.

It's great for process flows and workflows because they use swimlane diagrams, which is really helpful. You can see who's responsible for different tasks, and at what different stages in the process they need to do different things. Visually, it's a really good tool to provide to clients and customers. I can clearly see what is happening and it has good use of the different shapes and colors. It's a really good graphic representation.

It's definitely important that Lucidchart accommodates both Mac and PC users. I am a PC user, but occasionally I'll be on a Mac and it's really important to be able to do it on both as well, just because people have their own preferences.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, they should make it very clear, whether it's a single A4 page or two A4 pages, it should be mapped out. Either I don't know how to use it, or it's not there, but having to stick to margins so I can see what's going to be on different pages when I print it or move it to a PDF has been my only challenge so far.

In the next release, I would like to have good roles and responsibilities-type diagrams, like a table that's as a template. Because they have really good templates, but nothing for something like that.

I have been using Lucidchart for a few months.

I've never had a problem accessing it and it always updates quickly and works well.

It could definitely grow. It has been used in lots of different industries and areas. It's a really fantastic platform that, until this company, I didn't know about. I'd definitely use it for other areas of roles at different points in my life, I'm sure.

At this point, Lucidchart is being used all day, every day. I'm probably the main person using it, but there's someone who's a transformation specialist who uses it as well, who's above me. And anyone else who is a team specialist would use it as well.

Lucidchart is easy to use so I haven't needed to contact technical support yet.

The initial setup was super easy, it took me two minutes. I had a username and login, it was all there. My company shared the folders they needed to with me and I had instant access. They just have to give me permission. It really was a very quick process.

My company definitely thinks it's worthwhile. It's reasonably priced and they use it very easily and quickly. They recognize how much of a time-saver it is. Whereas, if we would have had to do this manually, in PowerPoint, or something like that, it would take around five times the time, or even more.

If you consider what you pay someone an hour, you've pretty much paid for the annual subscription probably within a week.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise purchasing it straight away. You will not regret it.

I would rate Lucidchart a ten out of ten.

C
Software Developer Engineer at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up and work with, with good visuals that save me time and improve my coding

• "Lucidchart's ability to create a visualization that people prefer to look at, over reading written documents, has definitely saved me a lot of time. Moreover, it has helped to make my code bug-free because I no longer have broken endpoints."
  • "The flowcharting feature would be improved if it had some kind of prediction capability that helped to create the diagrams, such as the ability to automatically join components with my database."

What is our primary use case?

I used Lucidchart to design flowcharts for my APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidchart was able to help me design the flow of my APIs. They are quite complicated with many conditional flows and many multiple-table interactions. It would have been difficult for me to jump to the code directly, without having the clarity given me by using Lucidchart.

The problem is that it can be difficult to think about exactly what needs to be done, which is why I started using Lucidchart. I thought that it would be better if I have a pictorial representation of the flow that I wanted to implement in my system. After I had this visual, I went on to start coding it.

I have definitely realized efficiencies in the projects that I have used Lucidchart for, and it has had a major impact. As I am designing the flow of data through an API, I sometimes forget to handle some of the base cases or some of the edge cases. More importantly, there could remain some endpoints that are unfinished, or there could be some endpoints that are broken. However, if I am using a pictorial representation, such as with Lucidchart, I always know that at each particular point, I have not missed an aspect of the design that would explain what happens when a particular condition occurs.

Lucidchart's ability to create a visualization that people prefer to look at, over reading written documents, has definitely saved me a lot of time. Moreover, it has helped to make my code bug-free because I no longer have broken endpoints. For example, the system that I am working on now is pseudo-transactional, which is the model for the flows. This means that I should have a rollback mechanism if some particular condition doesn't succeed.

It is easy to check for a particular condition using a standard If and Else combination in code, but there are some scenarios in which there are nested conditions. Solutions need to implement these as well, which is more difficult. However, this is where Lucidchart helps a lot. On every particular flow, it asks me to design a new system that includes an endpoint.

I have experienced a 40% reduction in development time because I don't have to search for the use cases during the coding phase. Specifically, I don't have to search for the edge cases or the base cases because they are designed in a pictorial representation that is easy to follow. I just have to look at the diagram and write the code.

I may write a best-case scenario when I get the data, but the nested decisions or the conditional statements remain unhandled sometimes. There is always a question of what will happen to the flow if something specific occurs, or in some cases, does not occur. For example, if something is missing from the database or one of the tables, it can be difficult to forecast what the consequence will be. In cases such as this, how you react is something that needs to be defined. You should know what will happen, even when conditions result in the worst case. This is why it is best to have a pictorial representation. It will allow you to easily design fallbacks for the system.

It is important to me that Lucidchart accommodates both Mac and PC users because sometimes when you switch companies, they use a different operating system. At this point, I'm using Linux and Lucidchart is compatible. At some point in time, I may change to another organization or even just change laptops, so I need the functionality to work properly on the other operating system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the charting, which allows me to visualize the workflows that I will be coding.

What needs improvement?

The flowcharting feature would be improved if it had some kind of prediction capability that helped to create the diagrams, such as the ability to automatically join components with my database. Another example would be having it smartly or automatically add or join conditionals.

I only used Lucidchart for two or three days before my trial subscription expired.

I did not experience any issues with stability or performance.

This product is highly scalable. I didn't have the opportunity to use the presentation feature or collaborate on designing a flowchart or UML diagram or database schema, otherwise, I could have compared it and looked at the behavior.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to Lucidchart, I did not use a similar product for this task.

The initial setup is not complex. I just used the website.

This is not a time-consuming process and I was able to start using it in just a few minutes.

I have only used the trial version and have not yet paid for it, or explored the pricing options.

After performing a simple Google search of some flow design tools, Lucidchart was the first result. I tried it and found that it was easy to work with. I've yet to explore the pricing and have not looked at other products.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that if you have business-related documents that you use to implement a solution, it generally takes a lot of time to build. But, if you're using Lucidchart and you have already designed the flow, including a diagrammatic or pictorial representation of what the flow would be like, then it will reduce the time required to build it. Also, the system will be better.

I would rate Lucidchart an eight out of ten.

Other