MZ
Executive Assistant with self employed
Made my operations simpler, clearer, and easier to do. Learning curve for advance features needs to be more intuitive.

• "I really liked the sticky notes. They made it easy to change the colors, just click and add ideas, move those ideas around, and then connect them. I felt like they were very intuitive and easy to use."
  • "There are still some things that are a little confusing or too advanced, which is why it's not easy to use and hop on. There could be some other features that could be added, like other templates."

What is our primary use case?

I was developing mostly personal charts. I was using the brainstorming function and mapping my thoughts. I was using the sticky notes and organizing different ideas into categories. I was just manually using all the different tools and functions, drawing arrows. Later, I saw that they also have templates, which I thought was really cool. However, I was just manually using it for creating charts for personal organization and organizational development as well as doing organization for my nonprofit.

I was mostly working on organization, like categorizing, where I would list different projects, as my team had so many different projects that we were working on. I was just listing, then categorizing them, like color coding the different projects. That was the main thing that I was using Lucidspark for.

I was using a web version. I didn't download anything.

How has it helped my organization?

It made my operations simpler, clearer, and easier to do what I had to do.

Lucidspark enabled us to spend less time creating charts. I feel like that is the biggest thing: Less time having to create the objects/charts and write stuff. That allows you to discuss topics with your team more easily, if you are working with the solution. It saved us about 20 minutes in time.

What is most valuable?

I really liked the sticky notes. They made it easy to change the colors, just click and add ideas, move those ideas around, and then connect them. I felt like they were very intuitive and easy to use.

I really liked how the virtual whiteboard can expand, then you can just move around. It is just one whiteboard, but you can make multiple ones. One whiteboard seems infinite; it seems like I could just keep scrolling and using the space however I want. So, I really liked that feature. I also liked zooming in and out, which is really helpful.

You can easily move things around. It's hassle-free. You can expand the whiteboard as much as you want and create more space. You don't have to manually alter the pixels of how big the canvas is. You can just keep scrolling if you want more whiteboard. It made my life so much easier. Zooming in and out of the whiteboard is an awesome feature that stuck out.

What needs improvement?

There are some things which are kind of complicated to know how to use. I would have to get used to them a bit more, or learn how to use them more, because I feel like there are a lot of features and I don't really know about all of them. I would need more tutorials, and that's one of the biggest things.

It's so nice when you're able to just hop onto a program and intuitively know how to use it. Also, it is so tedious to have to teach new team members how to use the program, especially if they don't collaborate consistently but are hopping on for one meeting. The easier that they could make it for people to learn, like improving the learning curve, the better that Lucidspark could be.

What drew me to Lucidspark was that I hopped on and it was easy and intuitive. It was very nice to look at and use. That caught me. However, there are advanced features that I would have to learn how to use, and if I want my other team members to use them, then I would have to be able to quickly and easily explain them. So, if they could make pop-up tutorials for new team collaborators, e.g., click here to do this and that as a very brief intro tutorial, then that would be helpful. I don't know if they have that already, but that would be helpful for collaborators.

There are still some things that are a little confusing or too advanced, which is why it's not easy to use and hop on. There could be some other features that could be added, like other templates. What I really liked was how there were templates that gave you examples of how you could use Lucidspark. I feel like that is helpful for people to see.

Adding more variety would be helpful for people.

The easier it is to use, the faster someone can just pick it up and start using it. I feel like that will improve the platform and get more people to join it. A lot of small organizations need these sorts of tools, but they don't have time to spend learning about what is good about this solution and how it can help them. I would recommend making it as easy as possible, especially for small organizations.

Today, I attended a Lucidspark tutorial, but it was probably a few weeks ago when I was actually using the solution.

I used it a year ago for a few months. Each time that I was using it, I used it for about an hour, then I would go back to it and use it again for about an hour. I was using it to make some charts. I used it like 10 times.

The stability was pretty good. It didn't glitch or freeze.

I showed my charts to other people, but no one else used Lucidspark.

I feel like Lucidspark would be more useful for smaller teams, like five to seven people, because if there were a lot of team members, then that would get very complicated.

I did not contact their technical support.

Previously, I was just trying to make charts on my own using various software, even Photoshop, where it is kind of ridiculous to make shapes. I felt like it was so tedious and time consuming. Then, Lucidspark made it so easy to make charts. That was just so helpful. Lucidspark is so fun and eye-catching because of the different colors. Also, you can zoom in and out. Even with the dotted background (the whiteboard), it's easy and fun for the eyes, rather than some boring software that's so tedious where you have to manually draw all the shapes for the charts. It has a fresh user interface that is very modern.

I just Googled "online chart maker", or something like that. That is what I needed at first: To make charts easily. I was using Photoshop, and it was just a ridiculous, tedious process. Manually making circles and adding text was kind of crazy for me, so I thought, "Maybe there's an easier way to do this?" I was searching for a program on Google, then I found Lucidspark. I signed up, and I thought, "Wow, this is perfect. It's better than I expected."

I created an account, saw the whiteboard, and then just started using it. It took a minute or two to get in and start using it. I don't remember seeing any instructions.

Return on investment depends on how much you use it, especially if people collaborate.

I was able to make boxes and objects for charts very easily, because it was just click and drag. That just made it faster. I didn't have to spend time manually making those parts of the chart, like boxes. That saved so much time where I could spend my time creating my ideas and thinking at the same time as I'm drawing it on the whiteboard. It's almost like doing it on paper, but even better. I felt like I was able to think and put it on paper at the same time, as if I were doing it on real hard paper.

I was using the web version. I don't know what I signed up for, but I don't think I paid anything. It was just free.

I have used other visual collaboration platforms, but Lucidspark is definitely the best one I have seen.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great intuitive platform for making charts. I liked how easy to use it was. You should try it.

There are tools that can make your life easier. It's good to invest in them because they will make the productivity and efficiency of your organization better.

I have not collaborated with anyone yet, but I did see that feature in the tutorial today. I thought it was really useful. So, I might try it the next time I can, but I haven't used it yet. However, I thought it was really good when I saw it.

If there are more tutorials in the future, it would be really useful.

The solution does have features to tag and automatically group ideas to help organize and synthesize ideas after a brainstorming session, but I didn't really use that feature yet. I was still manually categorizing my stuff. I didn't actually use that feature.

I actually do plan to increase my usage going forward. I hope they have more tutorials like the one I attended today. These days, I am teaching a lot online. So, I feel like I could use this sort of whiteboard for my teaching my students. I feel like I want to try something new and see how it works.

I was going to start exploring Lucidspark a bit more and trying to use it more to see if it helps me. If so, then I might possibly invest in it. However, that depends on how much I will use it and if it will be useful for what I'm going to need it for. I just tried it a few times, and for various uses, so I will keep trying it a little more.

I would rate Lucidspark as a seven out of 10.

LANCE TEARNAN
Consultant at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Intuitive web-based interface, increases productivity, and straightforward to set up

• "The most valuable feature is the different ways that you can build out the charting and the mind maps. There are various different templates that are included in the program."
  • "Using my iPad, it seems clunky and isn't as responsive as my PC."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant to the financial services industry. I use Lucidspark for process development for the different contracts that I've got.

I run it on all of my devices including my desktop, iPhone, and iPad.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of intuitiveness, the web-based interface is great. For iOS, I do not find it as easy to use. Trying to update documents on my phone, the screen is very small and that presents a problem. I've used it a couple of times on the iPad and I've accomplished what I wanted to accomplish, but it's taken longer than if I were to do it on the computer.

Lucidspark allows me to prioritize ideas, which is important to me. It is my main charting and documenting tool that I'm using for ideas that I have.

The product allows me to spend more time discussing and revising ideas and next steps, rather than organizing them. This is something that is very important because I'm using documentation to help clients visualize the process that they have to go through.

Although I have only been using Lucidspark for a short time, I believe it's enhanced my brainstorming sessions and made them more productive.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the different ways that you can build out the charting and the mind maps. There are various different templates that are included in the program.

It's nice to have the ability to go cross-platform. I use both iOS devices and PC devices, so that's really important to me. It's nice that I can do stuff from a mobile perspective because when I'm out of the office, I can still work on it. I'm not always working in my office location, so it's a nice function.

What needs improvement?

It takes me longer to complete the same task on mobile devices than it does on the desktop. It's not as big as a computer screen but it isn't just related to the screen size. It could be the operating system, which is the interface between the program and iOS. The computer I'm using is a PC-based computer, and it is seamless and efficient.

I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago and I wanted to do something. Using my iPad, it seems clunky and isn't as responsive as my PC. It was between 2 am and 3 am, and I was thinking about something that was noteworthy. I went to Lucid on my iOS device, the iPad, and I tried to put the information in. I couldn't get it in the way I wanted it to, and so I flipped over to another application and wrote the information down and then went back later in the day and got on the PC and put it back into Lucid that way. So, I did get some of the stuff into Lucid on the iPad in the middle of the night, but not a lot. Ultimately, I got frustrated and I thought that it was taking far too long. That is why I switched to the other application.

It would be nice if you could import things into Lucid and then manipulate them from there. For example, when I did work in the middle of the night, it was a text-based application. I had to re-type the stuff in the morning into Lucid. It would have been nice to be able to import it and then use the Lucid functions to manipulate the data.

One thing that might be beneficial to future potential users is for the vendor to extend the trial to like a two-week period instead of a one-week period. I started creating documents immediately because I had an immediate need, but if you don't have an immediate need, you might not be able to use it within that week. So, I would say extend the trial for two weeks to give the user a greater opportunity to test it.

I have been using Lucidspark for approximately two weeks.

On the PC, it works wonderfully. On the iOS piece, not so much. I don't use an Apple computer, so it might integrate better in that case, but it seems clunky. It's hard to manipulate on my iPhone, and it's easier, but not as easy on an iPad.

I've started using the scalability features, meaning my documents are getting much larger than they could ever get in the previous applications I was using. Now I've got documents with multiple pages and multiple processes on multiple pages. From that standpoint, it's fantastic because now the client can start by looking at the overview from a high level, then drill down into a particular section of the process, then down into the different steps involved in the process.

From this standpoint, scalability is great.

At this point, I'm the only person in the company using it. Within the next month, I'm probably going to introduce it to one of the organizations that I deal with.

I have not had a need to contact technical support.

I have tried four different solutions for this type of work, including Mind Map, Draw.io, and Visio. Of the few that I have gone through, Lucid is the one I'm using right now the most. The other ones didn't provide what I was looking for, just from a functionality standpoint and a documentation standpoint.

Visio is one that I used years ago and I just wasn't satisfied with the process to get things accomplished. It seemed that you had to read a manual and get training in order to effectively use it.

I have also used iOS-based applications including SimpleMind and Simple.io. These were iOS applications that could not work across different platforms and because I've got a PC desktop, I couldn't go back and forth between it and my mobile devices. These products were easy to use but I couldn't cross the interfaces.

Essentially, I've got four other programs out there that are becoming obsolete because of Lucid.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I've been using these types of products for probably six or seven years, or maybe more than that. From an intuitive standpoint, I knew what I was looking for and what I was going to do. It was fairly easy to set up the documents I wanted to set up, and then it was an intuitive process to go through and manipulate them the way I needed them to.

There's no special training and there's no need to read a manual before you use it. From that standpoint, it was nice.

From a communications standpoint, and from an ease of communicating with clients standpoint, I'd say that I have seen a return on my investment.

The pricing is in line with everything else out there, and you get what you pay for. I haven't looked at the enterprise-level pricing, as I'm subscribed with the individual or the small team pricing. That's comparable to what I've seen elsewhere.

It'd be great to have it cheaper, but once again, if you lose some of the functionality, it's not really worth being cheaper for that.

There was a list of perhaps 10 products that I evaluated. I printed them out, went to the websites, and looked at them. These were all of the big products and one of them that I recall is either Edraw or Draw.io. That is the one that I came closest to, but I chose Lucid over it.

I needed a robust charting, process, documenting program and that's why I chose Lucid. I looked online, I did a bunch of different comparisons of the stuff out there in the marketplace. When I looked at Lucidspark I thought that it looked to be the most robust for what I want to do.

The feature set that was documented on the Lucid website was what prompted me to start a trial. I didn't go into the trial of the Draw.io product. When I compared the features that were explained on the websites between Lucid versus Draw.io, it really motivated me to do the trial and then to become a subscriber.

What other advice do I have?

I am using this product for high-level ideas right now but I haven't yet turned on the virtual whiteboard features. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks and I'm still getting comfortable with it. I can envision virtual whiteboards, which would be fantastic because right now I'm using Google Meetings and their virtual whiteboard while I'm in meetings.

I haven't yet looked at the virtual whiteboard, but I am hoping that there is a drawing feature embedded into Lucid. That would be fantastic.

I use it for brainstorming but not over the PC. I've basically done mind mapping and brainstorming for myself but I haven't used it in a collaborative environment yet.

I know that there is integration with Google available because it has come up on my screen, although I haven't used it yet.

My advice for anybody who is considering Lucidspark is to definitely give it a try and do the analysis. Overall, I think that this is a good product and my biggest complaint is because of the iOS interface.

Learn what your peers think about Lucidspark. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SR
Social Media Coordinator
Enables us to spend more time discussing and revising ideas and next steps and less time organizing them

• "The virtual whiteboard board is amazing. That is something that we've all needed, and I wish I knew about this back when I was focusing on my master's in university. That would have made things so easy. I struggled with MindManager and all these other free programs that you can use to make your mind maps and share your process with your supervisors and your classmates. Lucidspark would have been a lot easier to use and would've been a really good thing to have back then."
  • "Some parts where the arrows flow tend to flow in a strange direction where you want to drag it to, and it requires a lot of adjusting here and there. It's just the flow of the arrow sometimes it gets a little tricky, and then when you move something else, it gets wonky, and then you have to go back and fix it up. That's the only thing that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I mostly use it to make mind maps and some process charts for the place I work. Sort of like work processes, the flow of things, so everyone knows what you need to do.

I'm pretty sure that in the coming weeks when I start to use it more on a regular basis, maybe every day or a couple of times a week, that's probably when I will figure it out more. But for the time being, it's been really good.

We have started to integrate some stuff on Slack, but individually on its own, and then we've also started Lucidspark. At some point down the road, there will be an integration between the two programs, but we haven't started that yet. We're trying to move everything to Slack.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, if we need to have a project on hand, if it's a weekly project, or if it's a one-time project, all the processes are started right there. So instead of having to call the whole team and brief them step-by-step, you just send over the chart. Then from the colors and from the shapes, everyone in the team is quite familiar with the shapes and the colors. Everyone would know it, you wouldn't have to waste time. You could maybe save two hours of a meeting trying to explain everything to everyone.

We have only been using it for a week now but it has already made things so much more convenient. It's easier to see rather than just talking about it and sending each other notes.

It enables us to prioritize ideas. It's extremely important that we can do so because an idea is just an idea unless you actually decide to take the initiative and the effort to execute it and this has helped to do so.

We can also spend more time discussing and revising ideas and next steps and less time organizing them. We spend much less time. It saves hours of trying to explain stuff and back and forth.

If our effectiveness was at around a five or six before this, the process would have definitely helped move it to an eight or nine. There are still some improvements that need to be made, but I think once we actually make use of every single feature on the program, then we would be able to move up better. I have not seen a program like this in my past. And I know for a fact that in any other company, it would have helped, regardless of the field that the company is in, it would've helped definitely.

What is most valuable?

I like the freedom it gives you, how easily everything flows, and the fact that everything has labels on it, so the different shapes have different things. At first, when you start using it, you probably wouldn't know what every shape means. But as I go through it, I'll see a shape like the diamond and I'll know that a decision has been made and it needs to be sent for approval. So it's either a yes or a no, a pass or a fail. It makes things a little bit easier.

I also like that you can color code it, so you know which departments are supposed to handle which parts of the process.

The user interface and intuitiveness are pretty good for what I've been using it for. It's pretty good, very easy to use, and very easy to understand. I like that they have a lot of tutorial videos that you can watch, so you're not just stranded there and trying to figure everything out for yourself.

The virtual whiteboard board is amazing. That is something that we've all needed, and I wish I knew about this back when I was focusing on my master's in university. That would have made things so easy. I struggled with MindManager and all these other free programs that you can use to make your mind maps and share your process with your supervisors and your classmates. Lucidspark would have been a lot easier to use and would've been a really good thing to have back then.

You can put anything down, you can add sticky notes, and then you can add certain hotspots. The arrows are easier to match as well because you can draw them from anywhere.

I use the Collaborator Colors feature. I've only just started incorporating that but it has been a blessing. It's very important where I'm working because it lets the whole team know the processes and which department is in charge of which section. So you know how crucial this department is for the next step to carry on and for the whole thing to run smoothly, whether it's a project or whether it's a weekly process.

I have used Lucidspark for remote and virtual brainstorming sessions. It was amazing. I've actually never done anything in person with this particular place that I'm working at, so I don't know if I'll be able to answer that. But it has definitely made virtual things a lot easier to do because otherwise, I'd be stuck doing this chart on Illustrator, which would be a pain.

What needs improvement?

Some parts where the arrows flow tend to flow in a strange direction where you want to drag it to, and it requires a lot of adjusting here and there. It's just the flow of the arrow sometimes gets a little tricky, and then when you move something else, it gets wonky, and then you have to go back and fix it up. That's the only thing that needs improvement.

I have only been using Lucidspark aggressively for about a week, but I have been introduced to it for about three weeks, so I've been playing around with it. It is extremely user-friendly. It is one of the most user-friendly tools I've ever used to make a process chart. I've used a lot of other tools before, like MindManager but Lucidspark was really easy to work with. The tools that they have at deciding the shapes, adding arrows, and the fact that you can customize everything was really good.

Stability is pretty good because there were a couple of times where I accidentally, and this was to no fault of the app at all, I accidentally turned off my browser. I sometimes click on the mouse and because of my mouse pad and because my laptop is a touch screen, I would accidentally exit the browser mid-type or while trying to drag an arrow somewhere. And when I open it up, it has automatically saved anything, so I just start off from where I stopped, which is great.

Scalability is pretty good. There's definitely room for improvement, but other than that, I think it's really good.

Everyone is based in management positions and giving out rules to their underlings, and technically everyone uses it. It's mostly to identify what your roles are for different processes.

I'm using it quite frequently. For the past week, I've been using it maybe every day, but that's because I've been trying to build a process. There is a possibility that we'll always be creating new processes, there'll always be new projects to work for. I think we'll be using it quite frequently. It really depends on my superiors and what they decide.

On a scale where five is the highest, I would rate technical support a 4.5 out of five.

I didn't use another solution before Lucidspark.

Initially, the setup was very complex, but after watching the videos, actually continuing to use it, studying every inch of it, you're just clicking around, and just running around inside there to see what things mean. It got a lot easier after that.

It took five to six hours.

In terms of the strategy, I had a project to create the process for, and I did, we just went through it one by one. That's where it started to become more user-friendly to me because I started to understand everything more.

We did not use an integrator for the setup.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to give it a try, it's actually pretty good. It's really good. It makes things a lot easier.

Watch the tutorials, it helps.

I would rate Lucidspark an 8.5 out of ten.

Blaze Sanders
Director of Technology at Spoke AIOT
Great for remote brainstorming with good organizational features and color coding capabilities

• "We have used this solution for remote or virtual brainstorming sessions. We're a 100% remote company and therefore having that capability is important."
  • "There's a little bit of latency with the collaboration bit. Overall it's not quite as fast as Google docs, however, it's really close."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case has mostly been about defining requirements for our next hardware project and giving notes to the business people about the progress and sticking points that we're running into.

How has it helped my organization?

Our interns are more visual and Jira, being mostly text-based, has been harder for them and me. The visual aspect of Lucidspark is really nice and makes it quicker to understand the ideas sometimes.

What is most valuable?

The ability to sort stuff based on tags really helps with finding and organization. Instead of having random sticky notes everywhere, it's a more organized approach. The self-organization is really nice. Color coding has been really nice, and I use some of the timer stuff to track my own hours. That said, I don't share that with the company right now.

The solution's virtual whiteboard for brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts makes it easier to keep track of everything as opposed to, for example, a real-life whiteboard. Stuff falls off sometimes. I had a real-life whiteboard that had 600 sticky notes on it at one time. It was hard to organize at that level. Having the digital history of who deleted what and when is nice.

We use the collaboration colors feature, in which we can assign each user a certain color for the cursors, sticky notes, freehand drawings, et cetera. It's one of the best features. On a scale out of ten, it's probably a nine. Otherwise, we have no idea how each person is brainstorming individually. The idea overall isn't that important on who it comes from, however, people like to take ownership of their ideas. It's kind of nice at a high level.

We have used this solution for remote or virtual brainstorming sessions. We're a 100% remote company and therefore having that capability is important.

We use the solution's integrations with Atlassian with Jira. The importance of having those integrations, out of ten, is maybe a seven. I don't love Jira that much, however, it is good to be able to integrate them. We want to keep things organized.

There's a feature that allows us to tag and automatically group ideas to help organize and synthesize ideas after a brainstorming session. It's an amazing aspect and very helpful. It helps us find patterns. It's a ten out of ten feature as typically we're really just throwing a whole bunch of ideas out there, and in real life, sticky notes can get pretty messy. However, this feature really helps us stay organized and get to the best ideas fast. We can automatically group ideas and it makes it easier to divide up the work. That said, it's not great at prioritizing them, however, it is a good way to delegate work.

It saves time if we can organize and group ideas. It likely saves us 20% in terms of time savings. The solution enables us to spend more time discussing and revising ideas and next steps, and less time organizing them. It's just nice organizationally that it can do that, however, the actual time-saving isn't the highest priority. It's more about being able to come back later and look at all the sticky notes that have been organized.

There's been a little bit of a learning curve, however, overall, it's probably, even with the learning curve, still saved us 10% of our time, and, again, the digital piece just makes it really nice to be able to look back weeks later and see everything.

We're looking at six different hardware elements, so computers we might buy, and trying to determine which interfaces. For example, if USB or I2C is best for each one of those computers. With the sticky notes, we were able to sort them based on price and capability, so we tagged them with prices, features, and sorted them that way. With this solution, we've saved a lot of time during the process.

What needs improvement?

There's a bit of a learning curve.

It's a little bit harder than something like Asana which I have been using for six years. However, overall I'd give it maybe a B-plus. It'll probably take me about another week or so to really get a hang of it.

Due to the fact that you can't force everyone to be in the room to brainstorm, it’s made the process maybe 20% slower. I love remote work, however, remote work is also slower in a couple of ways when you're doing collaborative stuff. You're more productive remote when you're by yourself, and yet, collaboration can be a little slower.

The solution doesn’t make it easier to prioritize ideas. It's more about just getting a bunch of ideas up there quickly, and then we prioritize them in Jira.

There are a few too many sub-menu options under the breakout board and the team tools. While the layout looks good, there are too many options to click through.

There's a little bit of latency with the collaboration bit. Overall it's not quite as fast as Google Docs, however, it's really close.

I've only been using the solution for about two weeks at this point.

In terms of stability, I haven't seen any concerns on that side. It's a great company and is stable overall.

The scalability potential looks good. It seems easy enough to do with other new employees.

The product is not really used very much. Currently, there are no plans to increase the usage. We'll know more after a couple more weeks of using it and learning a little bit more.

Technical support has been great to chat with. I would give them an A+ rating.

I previously used Asana, which I found easier to use. I used that product for about six years. I'm just trying out Lucidspark at my new company. I've probably been with the company for about three weeks. The company uses Lucidspark, which is why I am switching over.

The activity and engagement levels of users during sessions, when compared to in-person are about 20% slower. You can't force everyone to be in the room to brainstorm. I love remote work, however, remote work is also slower in a couple of ways when you're doing collaborative stuff. You're more productive remotely when you're by yourself, however, the collaboration aspect can be a little slower.

The solution does not allow us to effectively prioritize ideas. It's more about just getting a bunch of ideas up there quickly, and then we prioritize them in Jira.

The initial setup was in between straightforward and complex, although when describing the process, I'd probably lean towards more simplicity.

The deployment itself took maybe 45 minutes.

I didn't really have an implementation strategy. The downloading process and the goal of downloading it was to make sure that was spread over the entire system for whoever was supposed to work with Lucidspark could access it.

You only really need one person to deploy and maintain the product.

We individually did the setup on our own. We simply followed the instructions. We didn't need an integrator, reseller, or consultant to help us.

It's too early to calculate a true ROI, however, we have seen a time savings of 10% to 20% so far.

I actually don't know too much of that about the pricing guide. I can't speak to exact costs.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

Working with the solution has been great so far. I signed up for the free version through my company. I'm not exactly sure which plan I'm on.

We have noticed that the solution does integrate with Slack. We haven't tried that yet. We're actually maxed out on our Slack integration, however, we use the free version of Slack.

I'd advise companies considering the solution to get your young interns involved first and maybe work your way up from the bottom to get buy-in from the older members of the team in the organization. It's the new tool.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

LE
Founder at a training & coaching company with 1-10 employees
Provides a seamless, collaborative, and engaging way of working, and the time saved has been a huge game-changer

• "The ease of using Lucidspark is definitely my favorite. It has been very intuitive, and it is easy for me to drag and drop my ideas to be able to be viewed by my colleagues. It is easily accessible for everyone with whom I'm working."
  • "Sometimes, editing text can be confusing. Changing different fonts and subtitles and the shapes that you're trying to use can be confusing. There isn't that much that I would improve other than just nitpicky user differences."

What is our primary use case?

I've been mainly using it to make flow charts and kind of brainstorm ideas for my business. I have not used it for anything else yet. I'm going to expand later into more collaborative forms of using Lucidspark.

I've installed it on my computer.

How has it helped my organization?

Something that has helped me a lot is definitely organization and having a visual map of where I've decided to go with everything. It has helped me become more engaged with my colleagues and with my ideas. It is easier to bring something to fruition once I've had everything laid out in front of me. There is such a high level of engagement with the data that we've been using. It is easier to get everything done in a smooth manner during Zoom calls or even in-person sessions.

Its virtual whiteboard is very functional for brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts, and you can use it for this. It creates an easily accessible area where I can just put my ideas. I don't have to worry about having one person to do the job of writing everything down. It saves a lot of time when working collaboratively. I'm not sure how much time I'm saving exactly, but it has definitely been saving a lot of filler time. Probably, it has saved six hours just on working through. You don't have to assign people certain tasks. Everyone can work on the same thing at the same time.

Its Collaborator Colors feature helps in keeping a track of who's doing what and how different ideas are meshing together. It isn't the most important feature of Lucidspark for us. I am in a small business, and I don't necessarily need to scroll on some sort of infinite whiteboard to see everything, but it is very important from the visual aspect of knowing how everything has been organized. You can see a visual thought process on the screen.

One of my favorite things about Lucidspark is that it is very easy to use. It is very intuitive for all users. There is not much time lost in setting up or doing anything else, which makes it different from in-person sessions. In in-person sessions, you have to set up everything on a real whiteboard and spend time erasing it, whereas, in Lucidspark, you can just click, drag, and delete all of your ideas.

It is helpful for prioritizing ideas. I've been using Lucidspark to brainstorm ideas. Anything that I've used on Lucidspark is going to be one of my more prominent ideas. It makes it easy to bring them to fruition. It turns the ideas into more accessible thoughts that can be added and edited by me and my work colleagues.

It helps you see the way everyone is thinking and the way everyone is coming up with these ideas because it is so visual. Everything is in front of you, and you don't have to worry about the organization as much because it is helping you intuitively do that.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, editing text can be confusing. Changing different fonts and subtitles and the shapes that you're trying to use can be confusing. There isn't that much that I would improve other than just nitpicky user differences.

I have been using this solution for about three or four months.

It is very stable, and I have never run into any issues where I have to talk to a customer service team. It has been very reliable for me and everyone I've been working with. I wouldn't say that I've had any trouble with it.

I haven't necessarily been in a place where I've needed to use the scalability aspect of Lucidspark, but in the future, I can see that being something that I would look into. Knowing how Lucidspark has been easy to use for me, I'm sure it would be easy for me to scale in the future.

Currently, I'm the main user of Lucidspark, and then I have people who come on to my charts and help me with them. There are probably around 10 or 15 people on it at one time, but I'm the main editor.

It has become my main form of brainstorming and creating ideas before I bring them out into my company. It is just a way to visually see everything before it becomes palatable within the company. In the future, I would end up using it more collaboratively with my colleagues, but for now, it is the personal and visual way of thinking about things.

I have never interacted with their technical support.

I used Jamboard in the past. I switched because Lucidspark was easier in my experience. It was easier for it to become a part of upfront work instead of making it difficult for everyone to be on one document at the same time. Lucidspark doesn't necessarily have the same glitches that the Google Suite apps have. It has this seamless, user-friendly format that does not get in the way of the actual creative process, whereas Jamboard kind of got in the way. It was more focused on setting it up than actually creating the idea.

It is very straightforward. Learning how to set it up is very easy, and it doesn't take away from the process at all. It is easy to navigate, and it has images. Combined with this kind of modern setup, it is very easy for anyone to use. It took about half an hour.

Definitely, just the time saved has been a huge game-changer with everything that I've been doing. There is no time that I have to spend getting everyone into one document or into one file to try and create an idea. It is always there, and everyone is on the same thing contributing at the same time. As an administrator, it is easier to be straightforward and have everything planned out in one space rather than flipping back and forth between different files.

I don't think that the cost is ever something that I considered. It has always been worth it to pay a small payment and help everyone with their tasks. It has definitely helped me become more organized. I don't think that the cost has been a barrier at all, and it is worth it to be able to pay for it.

I didn't evaluate other solutions. I just kind of went with it.

What other advice do I have?

It is completely worth it, especially during the time where half of the workers are online. It makes things much more seamless, and it gives us a more collaborative and engaging aspect of working where you feel like everyone is together, especially on the same file. Not overthinking the whole online aspect of Lucidspark would be my advice.

I have not yet used its integration with other products. I have also not used any other product from their suite. I have only used Lucidspark so far.

I would rate Lucidspark a 10 out of 10. I haven't had any issues.

MichaelSmith2
Director of Management Systems at Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus
Saves collaboration time, especially in a virtual meeting setting

• "I am a visual person, which is why I like Lucidspark. Its user interface and intuitiveness are pretty good. It is pretty intuitive to understand how we are moving forward and drawing things on the whiteboard. It's very simple, not complicated. The things that I use are mainly the post-it notes and containers, where I can grab a group of post-it notes, then put them in a container and move them around."
  • "The only thing that is a little cumbersome for me is trying to use a mouse as a stylist somehow. I would like it if there was a different way to do that."

What is our primary use case?

It started out to build flowcharts for organizational structures. It has evolved into more of a project management tool, outlining systems and opportunity flows from the inside of our business. We use these visuals that we create to speak with our software implementation partner so they can build the structure that we need for our systems.

I am the one on my team who uses it 90 percent of the time, as far as creating documents.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit has been that it is a new tool and something else which helps engage my team.

Another benefit is the ease at which you can create whiteboard pieces to brainstorm together. It's like me writing on a whiteboard, but not asking for collaboration from others when writing on the whiteboard.

Lucidspark has enabled us to prioritize ideas. During a brainstorming session about a launch of a new product, we were able to put all the ideas and color code them in post-it notes. We then categorize them by groups and priorities, respectively. It was easy to move them around so everybody could see what was going on.

We asked for everybody's input on a particular project and their priorities. When we were able to visualize them on a Lucidspark whiteboard, we saw the similarities between everybody's suggestions, then we were able to move those together.

From the brainstorming session where we collected the ideas and grouped them forward, we were able to prioritize those ideas into an action, i.e., what needs to happen next on the product launch. So, it worked well for our team. This is the first time that we had used it this way.

Overall, Lucidchart and Lucidspark helped me as a visual learner to lay out my thoughts and ideas, then arrange them in a succinct manner so I could communicate them effectively to the next person.

What is most valuable?

Until recently, I was using the document piece where I can create these outlines and stuff based on their shape library.

I don't use a whole lot of their templates, but the templates give me ideas on how to build my own structures moving forward.

Recently, when they launched the new piece, which is more of the whiteboard design, it has become a place where we can collaborate together. Especially in these days of virtual meetings, we can show a whiteboard and move things around. I have only been able to use the whiteboard a couple times. I like the ability that it is never-ending, i.e., a very large white space that we can scroll through. It is not limited to the size of a piece of paper.

With virtual meetings, we are always looking for ways to make sure that people are engaged in the virtual meeting. I think the whiteboard aspect of Lucidspark allows that to happen more efficiently and effectively. There is action taking place on the board, so it is not just someone presenting.

I am a visual person, which is why I like Lucidspark. Its user interface and intuitiveness are pretty good. It is pretty intuitive to understand how we are moving forward and drawing things on the whiteboard. It's very simple, not complicated. The things that I use are mainly the post-it notes and containers, where I can grab a group of post-it notes, then put them in a container and move them around.

It is very efficient to move ideas from the idea stage to execution, using the Lucidspark’s suite of products. When we are sending it to a software designer or implementation partner, I am able to create a visual flow where I might outline everything in a document. Then, I can create a visual flow in Lucidspark so they can see the progression of steps, which makes it easier for them to design because of the software. Because the software of Salesforce is using these same types of visuals when the system is created, there is a great relationship between what I am creating and what the developers are developing inside Salesforce for us.

What needs improvement?

I have been using it for probably four years.

Lucidspark is very stable. I have had no crashes. I love the functionality as it moves between devices. Even with different Chrome profiles, I can easily log into my Lucidspark account from any Chrome profile or browser profile.

I love the functionality. It's easy to use, printable, and downloadable as a PDF, if a person does not have Lucidspark or the Lucid suite. I can share those documents that way.

The functionality is there. We have not used it on a larger scale. I am the person who uses it 90 percent of the time. We share documents just for viewing, but not for collaboration. I do see how it could be used that way. You could grab a team license and easily have more than one person working on a document, but we do not use it that way.

There are probably three paid accounts on campus. There are another six or seven users who are just using the free account to view things. These are all directors, director managers, and even C-suite people.

We have not used their technical support.

Previously, I used very cumbersome tools inside Google Suite, Microsoft suite, or even some mind mapping pieces. However, there isn't a solution that really does what Lucidspark does for me.

It is very easy to set up Lucidspark. A couple of clicks, and then you can get something started. It takes minutes to set up.

The ROI is mainly personal. It is just easier for me to communicate thoughts when I can draw them out.

Using Lucidspark saved time, especially in a virtual meeting setting. We can easily collaborate, move things together, and then prioritize the groupings to get a quicker, more successful product launch.

The licensing is a fair price. We mainly have single users. We chose not to do the team user because of the cost. We didn't see a need for that at this point. We have talked to Lucidchart and Lucidspark salesmen often about that.

We have also talked to Lucidchart people about integration with Salesforce. We thought we found a solution that would help us visualize and move some things, but it did not work for us or at the price point that we needed to pay to do it. So, we only use LucidChart inside itself with no integrations to other places.

I did not evaluate other vendors or options.

What other advice do I have?

I have suggested this product to many people because of its ease of use and clarity. You can outline processes, programs, and operations moving forward. So, I have recommended it to others. I would rate the solution as a 10 (out of 10).

AM
IT Technology Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Anybody, across any platform, can collaborate; makes our working and brainstorming sessions very simple

• "The most valuable feature is the live, interactive whiteboarding. For brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts it's like Visio but much better, because it's online. Collaboration for process is much easier."

What is our primary use case?

We do a lot of whiteboarding.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we're in the IT field we have a lot of process maps that we draw and it's easy to collaborate with the team on a live Zoom or any conference call we have going on, where whoever is participating just throws their ideas onto the board.

A benefit is that anybody, across any platform, can collaborate anywhere. They don't need to have software installed, like with Visio.

The solution also enables us to spend more time discussing and revising ideas and less time organizing them. Once we're ready, we take it to our leadership and the leadership might see something that we didn't see. They're able to easily move it around and say, "What if we move the process this way?" They can do it on their own time. We don't have to wait for them to join a call and do it. We just send it over, and then they'll revise it and send it back to us. It has made our working and brainstorming sessions very simple. It has cut down a lot of back-and-forth. We're able to get to the result in less time than we used to. It saves us at least one day per week.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the live, interactive whiteboarding. For brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts it's like Visio but much better, because it's online. Collaboration for process is much easier. Everybody else has more of a "sticky-notes" type of solution. But with Lucidspark, you're using visual diagrams and the icons and things that you need that are more like Visio.

In terms of the user interface and intuitiveness, it's easy to use even for a non-technical person. You just throw things on and, for whatever you need, there is drag-and-drop. You don't have to train anybody. Everybody, right off from day-one, knows how to use it and take it forward.

We also use the Collaborator Colors feature and with it we can see who has proposed an idea when we're on a live call. If it's me or if it's my boss who said, "Hey, maybe we should do this," we can say, "Yeah, that looks better than what Joe said," for example. Or we can say "Hey, Joe's ideas kind of make sense," and we can take mine out and put his in place.

In addition, it has ready-to-go boards for process. You convert them into PowerPoint or the like and export them very easily and plug them in. That's what we do, most of the time: We build the process map and, once it's ready, we export it and stick it into PowerPoints. We also build a lot of solution documents for different technologies and processes. We use the Lucid diagrams and put them into the solution documents.

You can also add pages. Once we like something on page one, for example, we drag it and move it to a different page where we're saying, "Hey, this is the final process for this."

And the fact that the suite can be centrally managed by a unified administration console is very good, because then you're not tied down to a per-license model. Instead, it's more of a SaaS model, so if somebody leaves the team you can just reassign the license to their replacement.

We have been using Lucid products for years. We have been using Lucidspark since it was released about four months ago.

The stability is excellent. We haven't had an issue where it was down or we couldn't reach it.

It's easy to scale because it's not on-prem. It's cloud-based, so we just have to add licenses and reach out to our rep for Enterprise.

We have about 10 users of the solution. There's room to grow, obviously, but I don't see us doing so right now.

I have not used technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward because we use the SaaS model; nothing on-prem.

The process took us about four weeks but that was more due to our internal process because we had to get approval from InfoSec and everybody to make sure that there were no vulnerabilities in the software or anything that was getting installed, and that no data—client information, health information—was stored on the cloud.

For the deployment, on our side, there was just one person, but building and getting all the initial approvals involved about four people who are in InfoSec, IT, the leadership, and FP&A for the cost.

Not everybody uses Lucidspark on a daily basis. Some teams just use it when they need to build charts, once in a while. But we have seen a return on investment for people who use it on a daily basis, in terms of time and money savings, because we're not allocating licenses 100 percent. We can transfer a license on-the-fly. With Visio, if a person leaves the team tomorrow, you have already paid upfront.

There is room for improvement in terms of the cost. It should all be bundled together. It's becoming like a Microsoft, where you have to buy all the different version features separately. It should just all be bundled with one price. I shouldn't need to buy Lucidspark separately and Lucidchart, etc. That model is like what Microsoft does, and it's very annoying.

The only other options were Visio and Visio Online but they are both by Microsoft. They were not compatible with Mac and others. That's why it was easy to make the decision to go with Lucid.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to prioritizing ideas we use monday.com to prioritize our tasks at hand. Based on that, we use Lucidchart to bounce ideas around.

We have the full Lucidchart, the full Enterprise version, so that we're able to build process maps and everything else. I am mostly on the build side of things. We build the solution and then we hand off the solution document. We design how the process will look, on Lucid, and then we build it out and give it to operations to run. We don't really see when it goes live. But it helps the build side to collaborate and get to that point.

I think it's a great product. It's easy to use and there is not much hand-holding needed from an IT perspective. The SaaS model is great because it's cross-format. We're able to use it from our iPad or phones or from anything. It doesn't matter where we are.

Tony Skinner
    Continuous Improvement Manager at Ascension Health
    Improved the amount of participation and collaboration, giving participants a level platform for communicating ideas

• "We specifically sought to aggregate data and brainstorming and then to look at the ideas that seemed to have the most value. We were able to prioritize and identify productivity issues and move forward. Being a continuous improvement expert, I tend to use very specific tools for prioritizing, but the tools in Lucidspark did help us do that on a qualitative basis, very effectively."
    • "On the Lucidchart side, they have a fantastic document-based tutorial and how-to educational module built into the application. I would love to see something like that on the Lucidspark side."

What is our primary use case?

I have experimented with using it for brainstorming and I have identified a use case that I want to use it for, but I haven't practiced that use case with it yet. That use case, which I am really excited about trying to use it for, is affinity diagramming, also known as the KJ mapping process.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidspark definitely improved the productivity of our working and brainstorming session. The level of participation and collaboration was up, and people felt that they had a level platform for communicating their ideas and having their voices heard. It was definitely a major step forward from the other collaboration tools that we had at our disposal and was definitely equal to my experiences with in-person meetings.

What is most valuable?

The real-time collaboration has been valuable. People are able to get in and put their ideas on the chart, on the board, and have their input captured for use by the others on the team.

Lucidspark's virtual whiteboard, for brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts, is very helpful in that everyone has the ability to add their stuff, add their content, put their ideas down and, to a certain degree, avoid groupthink. That is one major advantage.

The user interface and intuitiveness are very friendly. Users pick it up very quickly and don't need a lot of training or education on it. It's fairly self-explanatory. The people that I worked with picked it up readily. But the people on my team, generally speaking, are technology-friendly. I can't say that would be universal, but it's not something that would require a whole lot of training for my environment, where my user base is all back-office anyway. Those people are fairly technology savvy.

We specifically sought to aggregate data and brainstorming and then to look at the ideas that seemed to have the most value. We were able to prioritize and identify productivity issues and move forward. Being a continuous improvement expert, I tend to use very specific tools for prioritizing, but the tools in Lucidspark did help us do that on a qualitative basis, very effectively. On a scale of "not important," "somewhat important," or "highly important," it would be somewhat important. There are times where we need to do that qualitatively with the team we're working with. At other times I really want to use a very robust, database-based approach and I would use an offline tool for that. But everything that we wanted and needed was there, to do what we wanted from that session.

What needs improvement?

The tool is very robust. I've got very limited experience, so I haven't noticed any immediate gaps to be dealt with other than, as a new user taking it up, along the lines of the educational training communications.

I did attend a Lucidspark training session, a webinar, and that was incredibly effective in communicating the opportunity to use the tool. On the Lucidchart side, they have a fantastic document-based tutorial and how-to educational module built into the application. I would love to see something like that on the Lucidspark side.

I have been using Lucidspark for the better part of one month. I have only been experimenting with it. I am not a commercial user. I've only been testing it for consideration in production.

I have had no hiccups or complaints or issues in my limited use. There have been no outages or glitches or anything of note. We've only used it among my team of four people, with me as the continuous improvement coordinator and my team who are black belts.

It is uncertain at this time whether we will increase usage of Lucidspark. We were using it during our trial period but I don't know if the license agreement will include Lucidspark or not.

I understand that Lucidchart and Lucidspark are separate products, but to exploit the power that it offers, getting it into people's hands and then building on it from there, it would be good to see them packaged together, or priced in a way that they would be leveraged. That would be the only thing that would make it even better: to make it more accessible, easier, faster, and cheaper.

I have not had any need to use technical support.

All our previous tools have been offline tools. This is the first collaboration tool that I've used in a virtual remote environment.

We have collaboration tools. We use Google Suite in our business, so we have the Slides and the Docs and the Sheets and Google Meet. They've recently added a whiteboarding function and voting and the other things to compete with Zoom. I believe the whiteboarding function is intended to be that kind of collaborative piece, but I've not used it. It's only been recently released.

What other advice do I have?

We use Lucidchart as the primary application in the Lucid suite. We use that more than even Lucidspark. It's a very user-friendly environment. All of the members of my team are very happy with Lucidchart because they do mapping for our constituents frequently. Lucidchart is very helpful, quick to use, and easy to produce the process documentation that we need to make.

My impression so far is that Lucidspark is more powerful than I am even aware of. It's got fantastic tools and methods with the tagging and some of the automated features for grouping and color coding. It will take time, practice, and repetition to take advantage of them.

Regarding virtual or remote sessions, when it comes to the activity and engagement levels of users, compared to in-person sessions, in some cases it's higher, but it's impossible to force everyone to engage, especially when remote. In an in-person session, you can visualize who's not engaging and draw them in. It's more challenging to do that with virtual collaboration tools unless you've got someone dedicated to looking for that lack of participation. As a facilitator, the virtual piece is challenging, but the fact that everybody can get onboard simultaneously is at least as involving as in-person.

Overall, I would definitely give it a nine out of 10. It's absolutely strong and more powerful than I am aware of. I'm ready to tap into it and would like to exploit it more.