Lumada Data Integration OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Lumada Data Integration is #18 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. IT Central Station users give Lumada Data Integration an average rating of 8 out of 10. Lumada Data Integration is most commonly compared to Talend Open Studio:Lumada Data Integration vs Talend Open Studio. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Lumada Data Integration?

Pentaho data integration prepares and blends data to create a complete picture of your business that drives actionable insights. The complete data integration platform delivers accurate, "analytics ready" data to end users from any source. With visual tools to eliminate coding and complexity, Pentaho puts big data and all data sources at the fingertips of business and IT users alike.

Lumada Data Integration was previously known as Kettle, Pentaho Data Integration.

Lumada Data Integration Buyer's Guide

Download the Lumada Data Integration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Lumada Data Integration Customers
66Controls, Providential Revenue Agency of Ro Negro, NOAA Information Systems, Swiss Real Estate Institute
Lumada Data Integration Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Lumada Data Integration pricing:
  • "Sometimes we provide the licenses or the customer can procure their own licenses. Previously, we had an enterprise license. Currently, we are on a community license as this is adequate for our needs."
  • "The price of the regular version is not reasonable and it should be lower."

Lumada Data Integration Reviews

VD
Specialist in Relational Databases and Nosql at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Free to use, easy to set up, and has a great metadata injection feature

• "The solution has a free to use community version."
  • "It's not very stable, at least not in the case of the community edition. I'm working with the community edition right now and I think perhaps it is because of that it is not very stable, it causes the system to sometimes hang. I'm not sure if this is the case for pair tiers."

What is our primary use case?

The most common use for the solution is gathering data from our databases or files in order to gather them into a different database. Another common use is to compare data between different databases. Due to a lack of integrity, you can attach these to synchronization issues.

What is most valuable?

One important feature, in my opinion, is the Metadata Injection. It gives flexibility to the scripts due to the fact that the scripts don't depend on a fixed structure or a fixed data model. Instead, you can develop transformations that are not dependant on the fixed structure or data models.

Let me give a pair of examples. Sometimes your tables change, adding fields or dropping some of them. When this happens if you have a transformation without using Metadata Injection your transformation fails or doesn't manage the whole info from the table. If you use Metadata Injection instead, the new fields are included and the dropped columns are excluded from the transformation. Other times you have a complex transformation to apply to a lot of different tables. Traditionally, without the Metadata Injection feature, you had to repeat the transformation for each table, adapting the transformation to the concrete structure of each table. Fortunately, with the Metadata Injection, the same transformation is valid for all the tables you want to treat. A little bit effort gives you a great benefit.

Furthermore, the solution has a free to use community version.

The solution is easy to set up, very intuitive, clear to understand and easy to maintain.

What needs improvement?

I'm currently looking at a new competitor that's got some interesting features that this solution doesn't have. I have found this competitor has a feature breaking system that is not present in the Pentaho Data Integration approach. The way the system sets can somehow maintain a track for the last executions and somehow store the state which gives you the potential to run from the point that it ended the last time. It's very interesting. It would be nice if Pentaho had this type of feature.

Often you are required to install plugins. If you need to have access to, in my case, Neo4j databases new folder databases, you do need a plugin to do it.

Between my current role and the role at my last company, I've been working with the solution for over five years.

It's not very stable, at least not in the case of the community edition. I'm working with the community edition right now and I think perhaps it is because of that it is not very stable, it causes the system to sometimes hang. I'm not sure if this is the case for pair tiers.

I am the only person using the solution currently. There are two other people that occasionally also assist in it. I'm helping them understand the tool and they are beginning to use it. In that sense, we're slowly scaling.

I don't know if the solution scales well on a large scale, however.

It scales very well, overall with the very useful feature to run n copies to Start attribute in every step, perhaps balancing with the side effect of consuming a lot of memory and CPU resources.

We haven't really contacted technical support in the past. We try to handle any issues ourselves in-house. I can't speak to the quality of the technical support, having never directly dealt with them.

We've never really used another solution like this in our organization. This is the first.

The solution is pretty simple to set up. It's not complex.

For our, deployment took about one month.

Maintenance is easy. The only maintenance tasks are to upgrade to the newer versions and backing up the repository frequently.

I handled the implementation on my own. I didn't need any help from a reseller or consultant.

We're using the community edition, which is free to use. I'm not sure how much their paid services cost. We haven't purchased any licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just users of the solution. We don't have a professional relationship with the company.

The solution is great to use and easy to share with teams via the central repository. It's very functional overall. I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

VM
Technical Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Quite simple to learn and there is a lot of information available online

• "Pentaho Data Integration is quite simple to learn, and there is a lot of information available online."
  • "I'm still in the very recent stage concerning Pentaho Data Integration, but it can't really handle what I describe as "extreme data processing" i.e. when there is a huge amount of data to process. That is one area where Pentaho is still lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We have an event planning system, which enables us to obtain a large report. It includes data Mart or data warehouse data. This is where we take data from the IT online system and pass it to the data warehouse. Then, from the data warehouse, they generate reports. We have 6 developers who are using the Panel Data Integrator, but there are no end users. We deploy the product, and the customer uses it for reporting. We have one person who undertakes a regular maintenance activity when it is required.

How has it helped my organization?

As we are a software company, we are using the tools provided with the Pentaho Data Integration for our various teams.

What is most valuable?

Pentaho Data Integration is quite simple to learn, and there is a lot of information available online. It is not a steep learning curve. It also integrates easily with other databases and that is great. We use the provided documentation, which is a simple process for integration compared to other proprietary tools.

What needs improvement?

I don't think they market it that well. We can make suggestions for improvements but they don't seem to take the feedback on board. This contrasts with Informatica who are really helpful and seem to listen more to their customer feedback. I would also really like to see improved data capture. At the moment the emphasis seems to be on data processing. I would like to see a real-time processing data integration tool. This would provide instant reporting whenever the data changes. I'm still in the very recent stage concerning Pentaho Data Integration, but it can't really handle what I describe as "extreme data processing" i.e. when there is a huge amount of data to process. That is one area where Pentaho is still lacking.

We have been using Pentaho Data Integration for 6 years. The customer is using Mirabilis Cloud, which is a public cloud. We are currently using version A.3.

Technical Support is really good. To get our answers only takes a little bit of time.

One of our customers was completely into the Microsoft core framework. We have to use SSIS because it's readily available with them, and is part of the system. We had to use it for five years. As also mentioned one of our teams has worked with Informatica in the past. In terms of integration, Informatica isn't more powerful, but more accurate in some aspects. The community is also quite strong.

The setup of Pentaho Data Integration is straightforward.

We implemented Pentaho Data Integration in-house. The current deployment has taken three months for the current set of requirements. We have another deployment in the pipeline where we are connecting other different data sources. These projects usually take a few months to complete.

What other advice do I have?

For newcomers to the product, it is best to start with something simple. You can then scale it up fast as it is not a steep learning curve. If somebody wants to set up a good inbound integration platform, they can use the Panel Data Integrator. It's really simple and easy to use. The online community really helps you with numerous issues, such as licensing and a lot of other things. I would rate Pentaho Data Integration 8 out of 10.

Other
Learn what your peers think about Lumada Data Integration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oscar Mejia
IT-Services Manager & Solution Architect at Stratis
Free to use, easy to set up, and has great UI

• "It's my understanding that the product can scale."
  • "The product needs more plugins."

What is our primary use case?

We basically receive information from our clients via Excel. We take this information and transform it in order to create some data marks.

With this information, on these processes we are running right now, we receive new data every day. The solution processes the Excels and creates a data mark for them.

While we read the data and transform it as well as put it in a database, in order to explore the information, we need an analytics solution for that - and that is typically Microsoft's solution, Power BI.

What is most valuable?

Running itself with the ETL was very fast. It makes it so that it is very easy to transform the information we have. We found that very useful.

The UI is very easy to understand and learn.

The solution offers lots of documentation.

The initial setup is easy.

It's my understanding that the product can scale.

We've found the solution to be stable.

The product is free to use if you choose the free version.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs better, higher-quality documentation, similar to AWS. Right now, we find that although documentation exists, it's not easy to find the answers we seek.

I have tried some cloud services with the ETL, so perhaps that would be good to add.

The product needs more plugins. Right now, it just has a standard database connection and there are other solutions there that can have straightforward connections for Oracle, MySQL, and stuff like that. However, more plugins would make it a much better product.

We recently finished two projects with Pentaho.

The product is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

According to the documentation, it's quite scalable. That said, I haven't tried to expand it. We just use a single server and that's all we need right now. We don't have plans to increase usage.

We have three people who use the solution currently.

We don't really use support. We tend to do everything on our own and solve any problems we have ourselves. We basically have just read the manuals and that's about it.

The initial setup is not complex or difficult. It's straightforward.

The deployment process takes about two weeks.

We had two people who handled the deployment process. They were an AWS DevOps person and a Pentaho expert.

We do not pay any license costs. We use a free version of the product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant and an end-user.

I downloaded the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the version number.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

AG
Assistant General Manager at DTDC Express Limited
Scales well with data and processes, but the cost should be lower and real-time processing capabilities improved

• "The amount of data that it loads and processes is good."
  • "I would like to see improvements made for real-time data processing."

What is our primary use case?

We are using just the simple features of this product.

We're using it as a data warehouse and then for building dimensions.

What needs improvement?

The shortcoming in version 7 is that we are unable to connect to Google Cloud Storage (GCS), where I can write the results from Pentaho. I'm able to connect to S3 using Pentaho 8, but when using it for GCS, I'm unable to connect. With people moving from on-premises deployments to the cloud, be it S3, Azure, or Google, we need a plugin where we can interact with these cloud vendors.

I would like to see improvements made for real-time data processing. It is something that I will be looking out for.

We have been using Pentaho Data Integration for three years.

For all of the features that we have been using, it is a stable product.

In terms of data loading and processes, the scalability is good.

We have a team of four people who are using it for analytics.

As we are using the Community Version, we have not been in contact with technical support. Instead, we rely on forums and websites when we need to resolve a problem.

In the past, I have worked with Talend, as well as SAP BO Data Services (BODS). However, that was with another company. This organization started with Pentaho and we are still using it.

It is a straightforward setup process. It took between three and four hours to complete.

We are using the Community Version, which is available free of charge.

The price of the regular version is not reasonable and it should be lower.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this product is that if they want to do batch processing, then this is a good choice. The amount of data that it loads and processes is good.

Based on the features that I have used and my experience, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.