Magento OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Magento is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top eCommerce Platforms. It is most often compared to SAP Hybris Commerce: Magento vs SAP Hybris Commerce

What is Magento?

Magento is an e-commerce platform that is used by businesses to create and manage their online web-based stores. The system uses the Entity Attribute Value database model as its core structure, and the various options available make Magento a flexible shopping cart system that includes all the components a business owner needs to get his or her business up and running.

Businesses looking to branch out and move into a larger selling bracket could use the Magento services well. Scalability and flexibility are key factors that contribute to the on-going use of Magento carts across the business spectrum. Other tools included in the packages are marketing tools, full customer support, technical stats such as PHP 5 and Zend framework and PA-DSS compliant systems for superior encryption, intuitive search functions, and easy to manage user interface. It also allows for multiple currencies to be accounted for and multiple stores to be managed and run simultaneously.

Magento Buyer's Guide

Download the Magento Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

Magento Customers

Magento has over 200,000 customers worldwide, including Bjorn Borg, Heath Ceramics, Harper's Bazaar, Kidstuff, International Military Antiques, Gifts That Gives, and Rovio Entertainment Ltd.

Magento Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Magento pricing:
  • "Many implementations were open-source. We also had a couple of enterprise-level implementations, but I didn't have visibility on the licensing cost."
  • "The cost of implementation is cheap compared to other solutions."
  • "This solution is cheaper than some of its competitors. However, the price depends on which country you are in. In some countries, such as Greece or some Southeastern European countries, the price for the client can be expensive."

Chirag Bhavsar
Founder and CEO at Coduzion Technologies Pvt Ltd
Handles order processing, customer management, configuration, third party payment integration, and shipping matters

What is our primary use case?

I work mostly with clients who have online businesses and clients who are entrepreneurs who have new online businesses and want to expand them. I sit down with these clients, understand their business, and lay out their online business plan. We set up a framework for the business, then we set up their website and application so that they can sell their products online, very conveniently. I provide a solution to ensure that any brand, user or online merchant can sell their products online. I am self-employed, but I do have a firm set up here in India for tax purposes. There are certain rules… more »

• "Magento provides a strong backing, meaning it can handle the order processing, customer management, configuration, third party payment integration, and shipping matters. There is a standard, very well set up architecture already present in Magento that helps them set up their online shops with much precision. Clients can see their reports, their daily sales, their best selling products, and their best buying customers so that they can target them through mails or just follow up with them. These are the main default features which make Magento so attractive."
  • "Magento 2 is only three to four years old, so it is an evolving technology. In certain areas on the front there were some glitches. For example, you can't do certain kinds of filters on data and you have certain speed issues on category pages due to the way it was written within Magento. Those were a few minor tweaks where we, as a community, found that to be a necessary scope of improvement. But I think they are working on it and hopefully they can solve these issues earlier than later."

What other advice do I have?

They should have a ready-made plan or know if they want to integrate their shop or they want to use this solution, and they should have a proper plan before going ahead. That is because this is a slightly complex e-commerce system, so you have to be ready with all the requirements in very great detail, much more than just going randomly with notes. Everything should be well documented in the plan before the execution. If that's done, then I think Magento will help in a greater way to solve your problem. Magento offers a certification program. I would say developers should learn the right way…
SN
Head of Service Delivery at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Provides seamless administration and out-of-the-box features for OMS integration, but needs better performance and a better way to measure performance

What is our primary use case?

I was working as a service delivery manager in the Middle East. That's where I did Magento implementation for B2B. Currently, I am refreshing my knowledge. I am using the open-source version.

• "As compared to platforms such as ATG or Commerce Cloud, its interface is easy to use. Magento also provides seamless administration for business users. You can also integrate an OMS to an extent. You don't need to have a dedicated OMS. You can leverage the out-of-the-box features of Magento, which is very valuable for startups. Other platforms, such as Commerce Cloud, don't have an OMS, and you have to have your own OMS solution."
  • "I am still playing around and trying to catch up with the latest version to understand all the features, but I do feel that its CMS can be much more streamlined. They provide a what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, which many customers prefer, but based on the implementations that I have done for more than seven years, I have seen that many times, it is run by the marketing team, and they don't find it very comfortable to use. They feel uncomfortable managing and changing the content. As a business user, you need to have at least basic knowledge of HTML, which you cannot expect from all marketing teams. Some companies or organizations have that competency, but many organizations, especially in the Middle East, have a very small team, so it becomes quite difficult for them. This is a common challenge that I have seen across the platforms. Magento is better and easier than Oracle Commerce Cloud, but Shopify is much easier than Magento. A layman or my 10-year-old kid can go ahead and set up a store in Shopify in probably 45 minutes, which is not the case with Magento. Elasticsearch has really been a pain. It takes a toll on the performance. Starting with version 2.4, Magento requires Elasticsearch, which has been causing a lot of serious performance issues. We had a client in the US who was running a promo, and they lost a subsequent number of orders over one and a half hours. They were on the enterprise platform, not open-source. The team had to open a ticket with Magento. Its performance needs to be upgraded, or some kind of guidelines have to be provided for the setup. It looks like even Magento has no clue. When you go through the answers given in the online community, it seems that in spite of having the hardware configurations that they suggest, it is not performing at the optimal level. It should also have a better way to measure performance. Performance measuring has to be much easier. Many times, we see CPU utilization going up and down. We see spikes without any reason. Therefore, we need a better performance management system."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but if you are not technically strong, I would suggest Shopify. I would rate Magento a six out of ten. It is a decent choice.
Learn what your peers think about Magento. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
533,285 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ali Asif
CEO at AA Logics
Has a modular approach, welcoming extensions that are cost-effective and speed time to market

What is our primary use case?

Magento 2 is basically a B2C solution for online retail shops. Our clients are majorly small to medium-sized businesses who are using this product to sell online and manage their orders. They also manage their products, catalog, and customers using it. Our company includes a structure that caters to the needs of companies who are already using Magneto 2. We have a development team, a DevOps team, and a marketing team. We provide all of the services required to manage, maintain, develop, and implement this solution for our clients under one roof.

• "The ecosystem includes thousands of vendors who are providing third-party add-ons."
  • "The performance is a bottleneck in Magento and there is a lot of room for improvement in this regard."

Oscar Del Ama
Deputy CEO at Pedro Garcia
Beneficial presentation layout, easy to use, but data analysis could improve

What is our primary use case?

Magento is used as an eCommerce platform.

• "The solution's valuable features are the presentation layout and ease of use. When we have new people joining the team, it is simple for them to get involved very quickly."
  • "The data analysis could be improved. The data that you receive whenever you go into the backend of the platform for the analysis is very simple and basic, it could be a little more sophisticated in order to be closer to the client. The data analysis and intelligence of the platform could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Magento a six out of ten.
IG
Digital Strategy Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Plenty of analytics, integrates social media, and customization

What is our primary use case?

My clients use this solution for an e-commerce platform, mostly for retail.

• "The most valuable feature in this solution I have found to be that I have the ability to find all the analytics that I need. It has very good integrations with social media platforms and other tools."
  • "The analytics are good but there is room for improvement. There are some limitations due to new regulations causing customer data time delays."

What other advice do I have?

I think it is one of the best e-commerce platforms right now along with Shopify. I rate Magento an eight out of ten.
Product Categories
eCommerce Platforms
Download our free Magento Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.