MailChimp Overview

What is MailChimp?

MailChimp is an email marketing service with more than 5 million users around the world. Design, send, and track email newsletters from anywhere. And since MailChimp is built to support lists with millions of subscribers, we'll scale with your company.

MailChimp Customers

The Atlantic, WNYC, Sierra Nevada, New York Times

MailChimp Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Partner/Owner, Trainer and Speaker at DigiEnable
Most email clients see them as a reputable provider, but having further details of the open rates would be nice.

What is our primary use case?

Regular user of this, after having shopped around and found this to suit my needs most.

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing with Mailchimp, or any other email service provider, is to spend time checking out the templates and picking and editing one that suits your needs. Make sure your shiny new email newsletter portrays your brand, ethics and style guidelines. When someone opens your email they should immediately know it's from you. We run digital training and SEO for a variety of organisations and businesses, and our Mailchimp and Email Marketing workshops prove very popular, because these participants realise the importance of connecting with their consumers and potential customers, in a…
Executive Director at TiE NY
User

What is our primary use case?

I manage a membership group where we use MailChimp to send newsletters and invitations primarily to events. MailChimp is easy to use once you get used to it.

• "It allows for dragging and dropping, which is much faster than writing HTML and CSS."
  • "It needs more formatting flexibility, such as the ability to wrap text around photos."

What other advice do I have?

I appreciate the feedback that MailChimp has provided us.
Technology Adviser at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Enables Us To Manage And Monitor Multiple Series And Campaigns.

What other advice do I have?

Thoroughly test the integration if using it with various pieces of software, and be sure to refine your lists with your custom fields from the very start, as it can get complicated further down the track when you need to use automation. If you have clients on statuses or start dates or renewal dates etc., ensure you include these fields as you will likely take advantage of this as you progress.
Blog Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Can send out newsletters without spending too much time building out the emails. The WYSIWYG editor doesn't work in the email client that IBM uses.

What other advice do I have?

You need someone that knows how to develop emails. The drag and drop email builder isn't coded to show up properly in Outlook, Notes and the older email clients.
Digital Marketing Practice Lead at a media company with 51-200 employees
Enables us to scale our email initiatives as we grow.

What other advice do I have?

The knowledge base (support center) is full of clear, easy-to-follow guides. There are few things you'll need that it can't do.
Digital Marketing Specialist at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
It can segment lists in multiple ways, such as interest groups, activity and other criteria saved in the database.

What other advice do I have?

We gradually migrated to MailChimp in stages during our implementation. First, we designed some of our emails in MailChimp, then we moved over our constituent records, then we integrated with our website and so on. This way, if there are particular business needs we could not figure out how to address with MailChimp, we were always able to go back to our previous tool.
VP of Marketing at Amenity Analytics
Fantastic - I wish all my marketing tools were this good

What other advice do I have?

Try it out with the free trial, here's the link for MailChimps free trial http://bit.ly/1dQHoak and also try out the other competitors. Most have free trials, so use that time to get familiar with the user interface, features, and functionality that you are looking for. A lot of times a feature on paper looks great, but when you go to use it you find that it doesn't work like you need it to. Take it for a test drive and find out for yourself.
Managing Member at Christiano Ferraro Consultancy, LLC
Its automated pass-through of data from targeted behaviors trigger an automated progressive drip campaign, but automated workflows do not have control for dynamic behavioral targeting.

What other advice do I have?

Start with this tool for your email marketing. It solves most basic needs in an affordable and easy to use way.
Marketing Coordinator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I can have a really good looking newsletter with minimum effort, but it gives me errors when I'm sending to 400+ people at the same time.

What is most valuable?

It provides many different templates. It's free!

How has it helped my organization?

It makes sending newsletters a lot easier! I can have a really good looking newsletter with minimum effort.

What needs improvement?

It gives me errors every time I try to send a newsletter to more than 400 people at a time.

I've used it for a year.

No issues encountered.

I haven´t been in touch with MailChimp, and I haven´t had the need. …
Responsable de Comunicación y Marketing at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The segmentation of campaigns for specific audiences is good but the ability to broaden the segments would be great.

What other advice do I have?

It’s very easy, and you can start using it without being an expert in e-marketing.
Graphic Design, Marketing, Lead Generation at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
I save time with editable templates and can see who's viewed and clicked on my mails,

What other advice do I have?

I only use the free version of MailChimp and I find it to be perfect for my needs. Don't tell them, but I can't believe I have all that functionality for free.
Co-founder, Web developer at a media company with 51-200 employees
Although there's always room for improvement, we can easily build and send modern, nice looking, relevant newsletters to followers.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it for a few days. You'll love it.
Secretary at Lake Erie Logistics, LLC
Understanding the creation of a template was easy as it is a drag-n-drop system, but the video embedding doesn’t render until you send a campaign.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t just write another blog to send out to subscribers. Really take in the options MailChimp offers and create something eye-catching and unique. Most authors I know simply write letters to fans. I have found I can offer freebie links, videos, image elements that link to past blogs, etc, and I like to keep it short and sweet. So far, this is working when competing with the valuable time of fans, and if click rates are low, don’t give up – change it up!
Sr. Business Analyst at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
MailChimp allows us to create as many campaigns and templates as we want, but they should offer some more modern templates.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the integrations it has with other systems, which can save you a lot of time setting up campaigns. Creating templates is a simple drag and drop process, so anyone without technical experience can build a template.
Web Development Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It has a good, fast interface, however, it is not the most intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time to learn from their extension knowledge base, spend time to play around with its interface and do not hesitate to contact the support for any questions.
Project Manager - Digital Marketing at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
It's great for those on a strict budget, however, they have very little support.

What other advice do I have?

If it's for a small business sending out a monthly newsletter, it's a great solution. If you are a business looking for stability and different campaign types to run, look at a different solution.
Independent Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
When they shut off our ability to send mail, there is no email sent to us which explains why. However, we do love the RSS campaigns.

What other advice do I have?

Don't connect to Salesforce, and expect about 80-90% deliverability.
Owner with 51-200 employees
It was quite straightforward to setup but the training manuals need work.

What is most valuable?

Bulk emailing Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

We do more outbound marketing as this method makes it so much easier to do.

What needs improvement?

The training materials need work. Also, the on-line info is only useful if you already know what you are doing which generally isn't the case with a new product.

I've used it for eight months.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

Which

Digital Designer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
I think the product is a good tool for small businesses and/or organizations running simple campaigns with small - moderate sized subscriber lists. The customer service and technical support is decent about addressing issues, but they are hard to get to when you really need them the first time. Contact information is buried among layers of self-help advice, which is annoying when you already know that you have an issue that is beyond your ability to pinpoint.  The template building drag n' drop interface is easy to use, but has restrictions. I wouldn't recommend it for people who have very specific designs for their email campaigns. Overall, it's a good affordable option for those with flexible designs and a desire for a simple visual editor.
Emarketing Specialist at a printing company with 501-1,000 employees
Great because you are able to look at click throughs and robust analytics.

Valuable Features

Very user friendly Drag and drop feature Forms

Use of Solution

I've used MailChimp for six years.

Customer Service: Customer service of this product is excellent. Technical Support: Tech support is great and they get back to you fairly fast.

ROI

ROI is great, I am able to look at click throughs and robust analytics.

Other Advice

It's very robust and easy to use as well as being very user friendly
Webmaster with 51-200 employees
It's very user friendly and easy to use out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

No need of advice. It works out of the box on a web browser.
Owner & Chief Marketing Officer with 51-200 employees
We like that we can be added as managers for our clients but the options for the RSS campaigns could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not already working with a marketing person, it may be a good time to start. Having a strategy for your list, your email campaigns and social integration is key to success. A good team will help you get up and running more quickly and avoid common mistakes in the process. Whether you are using a service to implement or going it alone, understand how you will be targeting your campaigns so you can properly manage your list. Importing your list properly will help you in the long term.
Client Services at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
A/B testing could be streamlined although the drag and drop email creation is helpful.

Valuable Features

List management (compliance) Drag and drop email creation Chat support

Improvements to My Organization

There was no email marketing at our company before MailChimp, so this product allowed us to begin email marketing which is less costly and less resource intensive.

Room for Improvement

A/B testing on design could be streamlined.

Use of Solution

Since 2009, so six years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10/10 - I LOVE the chat support.

It's straightforward.

Implementation Team

I did it myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We have the $79…
Adjunct Professor at Norwalk Community College Foundation, Inc
List management could be more scalable but it helps us stay in touch with our clients.

What is most valuable?

Broadcasting newsletters and mail management.

How has it helped my organization?

Staying in touch with our clients and knowing if our clients are still interested in our services.

What needs improvement?

List management could be more scalable.

Five Years.

No issues encountered.

Yes - the list management can, at times, be somewhat confusing when using different form factors.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Very good.

Which solution did I use

Dëvóps Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Pricey but promise support, then quick to ditch you in case of trouble
Mailchimp is pricey, but with the promise of helping you achieve deliverability and support you when things go wrong. which is exactly why we were totally dismayed that as we found out a major provider was rejecting our mails (not by mailchimp reporting it, but by an external tool), Mailchimp eschewed all responsibility nor tried to provide significant help. Everything about its conduct yelled "it's your problem'. Even data that was needed to properly diagnose the problem was not shared with us. Needless to say, we will never use any RSG product again. yep, that bad.
Director of Marketing at a tech company with 51-200 employees
MailChimp is a very useful product for HTML dummies and experts.
I have been using MailChimp for almost seven years. The product keeps getting better and better with lots of useful functionality being added all of the time. These are the things I find most helpful about MailChimp: The interface is easy to use even if you don’t know HTML or CSS. However you can write emails from scratch in HTML and CSS or edit emails using HTML and CSS if this is something you want to do. There are wonderful prepared templates which can be customized as needed but can also be sent as is. The stats generated post-sending are very helpful and easy to understand. MailChimp also has a wealth of resources available to help users understand email best practices, understand the stats MailChimp generates and help improve the bottom lines of its users. To MailChimp’s credit,…
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'm quite confident that you will be hooked in no time
For how long have you used this solution? - Several years now . Which features are most valuable? - The many level of reports like who forwarded you mail, didn't open, ..... Can you give an example of how this solution has improved the way your organization functions? - When using mailchimp it can track how many people realy have opend your emails. It will show u how many people have forward the mail where they clicked on it etc ... If u want to start sending out mails u need to understand your customers this tool just gives u a much better idea about your public's intrest. What areas of this solution have room for improvement? - So far none it's just perfect as is. Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability? If so, please describe. - Not at…