MailChimp OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MailChimp is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Email tools. It is most often compared to Amazon SES: MailChimp vs Amazon SES

What is MailChimp?

MailChimp is an email marketing service with more than 5 million users around the world. Design, send, and track email newsletters from anywhere. And since MailChimp is built to support lists with millions of subscribers, we'll scale with your company.

MailChimp Customers

The Atlantic, WNYC, Sierra Nevada, New York Times

MailChimp Video

Archived MailChimp Reviews (more than two years old)

Liz Hardwick
Partner/Owner, Trainer and Speaker at DigiEnable
Most email clients see them as a reputable provider, but having further details of the open rates would be nice.

What is our primary use case?

Regular user of this, after having shopped around and found this to suit my needs most.

How has it helped my organization?

This has given DigiEnable the ability to send out engaging, interactive and great looking emails, with ease and relative speed, to keep in touch with our clients and subscribers. It's much better to use a client like Mailchimp to avoid getting our domain blocked by SPAMNet and the new GDPR rules!

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us, include being able to group our contacts on our email lists into multiple segments, and the vast array of mobile-ready templates we can use for our emails. Also, the ability to gain analytical data is valuable including information on our email open rates, click rates and what our subscribers found most interesting. It's also great to be able to link MailChimp subscriber forms with your social media, so for example we have our subscriber form as a tab on our Facebook page, and it links straight through to our chosen email list.

What needs improvement?

Some competitors also provide further details of the open rates and enable a more specific way of tracking users processes through to the end call-to-action or purchase.

Sadly now Mailchimp has started charging for the use of the auto-responder (automation) emails, so it's lost it's edge for the free services. There are cheaper platforms elsewhere that will be auto-responders if that's important to you and your business.

UPDATE: As of May 2017, Automation is now free for everyone!! This platform is now almost perfect!!

More than five years.

Sometimes the site will be down,and if it's for planned maintenance you normally get an email a few days before telling you of the downtime.

Once your email list starts to grow and you send more emails each month, you'll have to move up to the paid-for tariffs. In scalability terms, there are cheaper products out there, so I'd recommend this for smaller businesses and projects to keep to the free account. When you're ready, shop around to make sure the paid-for tariffs work for you.

The customer service that I've interacted with has been clear and quick to respond. There are also good resources on their site including a good how-to guide, FAQs, and help pages.

I've never had the need to seek technical support so I could not rate this part of the service.

We had an email client which had an email list that we used to send out our emails. However, there was new legislation on data retention of clients results which has resulted in us needing to improve our email security. This is because we are now holding sensitive data on our clients, and email systems increasing the rules on spam filters. This resulted in the emails we sent out to willing subscribers, were getting met by bounce backs and blacklisting of our email addresses. Mailchimp is great as most email clients see this as a reputable provider and don't normally block the emails.

The initial sign-up online for a free Mailchimp account is quick and simple. You provide a few details, including your location (for legal reasons), an email address that wish to send from, and a username and password and you're good to go. It takes a while to familiarize yourself with the layout of the dashboard once you log in, but the main sections are Campaigns (the emails you send out) and Lists (your email databases).

This is an online product that has free direct access.

This is a great way for DigiEnable to keep in touch with it's clients, users, subscribers, and charities and groups it supports. It's a vital tool in the online communications strategy for any business, meaning you can build better relationships with your clients, keep in touch more, and you'll build better projects for years to come.

If you're a small business or organisation, we'd suggest just starting out with the free version and if/when your lists grow, think about further packages then. You can also buy one-off blocks of extra emails should you be working on a specific larger campaign over a short period.

Before choosing Mailchimp, we looked at a few other options, including

• Constant Contact which in 2012 only did a free account up to 100 fans
  • Campaign Monitor which only had a free demo; and
  • Aweber which was paid-for from the start.

We chose Mailchimp not only on features, but the capacity to have up to 12000 email per month to 2000 subscribers on the free account too. It's great for a business starting out.

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing with Mailchimp, or any other email service provider, is to spend time checking out the templates and picking and editing one that suits your needs. Make sure your shiny new email newsletter portrays your brand, ethics and style guidelines. When someone opens your email they should immediately know it's from you.

We run digital training and SEO for a variety of organisations and businesses, and our Mailchimp and Email Marketing workshops prove very popular, because these participants realise the importance of connecting with their consumers and potential customers, in a clear but engaging and interesting way. Email is the first line of communication, make sure it looks good!

Reviewer893021
Executive Director at TiE NY
User

• "It allows for dragging and dropping, which is much faster than writing HTML and CSS."
  • "It needs more formatting flexibility, such as the ability to wrap text around photos."

What is our primary use case?

I manage a membership group where we use MailChimp to send newsletters and invitations primarily to events. MailChimp is easy to use once you get used to it.

How has it helped my organization?

This does not apply, as I took over an existing account in an existing organization.

What is most valuable?

• Templates
  • Statistics
  • Not having to write CSS code.
  • Dragging and dropping is much faster than writing HTML and CSS.

It is nice to be able to look back on your prior marketing to see what was done in the past.

What needs improvement?

• Shorter how-to videos
  • More formatting flexibility, such as the ability to wrap text around photos.
  • More explanation at the point of decision-making.

I would have appreciated more how-to videos when getting started. There are some areas that could be made easier such as moving subscribers between list.

The chat room support is very responsive.

What other advice do I have?

I appreciate the feedback that MailChimp has provided us.

Technology Adviser at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Enables Us To Manage And Monitor Multiple Series And Campaigns.

What is most valuable?

Automation. Segmenting our database allows us control over content delivery and marketing multiple product mediums at the same time.

How has it helped my organization?

Probably automation again. We have multiple campaigns such as product marketing emails, seminar series emails, and blog content with referral emails that cross over various vertical markets. MailChimp enables us to manage how the content crosses over and monitors each series or campaign while providing in-depth analytics for each vertical market. Its simple API into our CRM also allows us better client management.

What needs improvement?

Integrations with other software.

Six years.

No issues.

No issues. We have had lists from 2,000 subscribers to 50,000.

Not timely, but somewhat effective when on paid plans.

We use INInbox and SendinBlue. MailChimp is preferred.

Very simple, just sign up and send.

MailChimp is well priced for its level of ability. There are obviously alternatives out there but for ease of use, MailChimp is worth its price, especially since its free plan provides access to some paid features.

INInbox, SendinBlue.

What other advice do I have?

Thoroughly test the integration if using it with various pieces of software, and be sure to refine your lists with your custom fields from the very start, as it can get complicated further down the track when you need to use automation. If you have clients on statuses or start dates or renewal dates etc., ensure you include these fields as you will likely take advantage of this as you progress.

it_user708477
Blog Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Can send out newsletters without spending too much time building out the emails. The WYSIWYG editor doesn't work in the email client that IBM uses.

What is most valuable?

Seeing the click rates, i.e., what people are clicking on to gauge what the subscribers to our emails are interested in is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

I can quickly send out newsletters without spending too much time building out the emails.

What needs improvement?

The WYSIWYG editor doesn't work in the email client that IBM uses, so I've had to completely code out the email. While this isn't a huge problem, it will take a bit of time to get the template up and running, i.e., when I want to change the template, it's a hassle as I have to recode.

I have used this solution for two years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support for the paid version is good, I'm not sure they have technical support for the unpaid version (which is what we're using now).

I have always been on MailChimp for the newsletters.

The setup was straightforward, just annoying as I have to hard code the emails each time that I send them out.

MailChimp is a good value product, but it seems very basic. It looks like they're starting to branch out more to social ads and are not putting as much time into their email service.

What other advice do I have?

You need someone that knows how to develop emails. The drag and drop email builder isn't coded to show up properly in Outlook, Notes and the older email clients.

Digital Marketing Practice Lead at a media company with 51-200 employees
Enables us to scale our email initiatives as we grow.

What is most valuable?

Provides easy list importing/exporting and management, easy newsletter automation setup, marketing (email) automation workflows, and simple design options.

How has it helped my organization?

We distribute all sales blasts, newsletters, and investor updates through MailChimp. The ease of use and price point enables us to scale our email initiatives efficiently as we grow.

What needs improvement?

Automation workflows have limited trigger options.

We have been using this solution for five years.

I have yet to see MailChimp fail in five years of frequent use.

There were no scalability issues, in regards to list size. It was only when it came to wanting more sophisticated automation capabilities that there was some scalability issues.

Technical support is fantastic.

I've dabbled with other email marketing tools. The big ones, such as IBM SilverPop and SalesForce Pardot, are clunky and expensive. Marketo is probably worth it, if you're trying to do really high-powered automation at scale.

But among the lower-tier options, in terms of price, MailChimp maintains a lead, although maybe it is tied with Emma and a couple of other new entrants.

The setup was incredibly straightforward. MailChimp has great on-boarding and initial walk-throughs, and guides.

We use the batch pricing, so it grows as our contact lists grow.

We looked at the full spectrum from small to big solutions and decided MailChimp was perfect for our needs at this stage as a startup.

What other advice do I have?

The knowledge base (support center) is full of clear, easy-to-follow guides. There are few things you'll need that it can't do.

Digital Marketing Specialist at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
It can segment lists in multiple ways, such as interest groups, activity and other criteria saved in the database.

What is most valuable?

There are several features in MailChimp that make it an invaluable tool for email communications. For me, the ability to design professional-looking, responsive email templates quickly and easily is crucial. In addition to the actual email design, the other crucial feature in any email, too, is managing your lists. MailChimp has an intuitive system that allows me to segment lists in multiple ways, such as interest groups, activity and other criteria saved in the database.

How has it helped my organization?

We rely heavily on email to communicate with our audience. The downside of sending many emails is that the unsubscribe rate goes up. By segmenting lists, we were able to decrease the unsubscribe rate. We also can smoothly gather new leads and more information on existing constituents using MailChimp API integration with our webform tool.

What needs improvement?

MailChimp’s reports on audience engagement are not the most robust. We have the ability to see statistics on any given email, but aggregate reporting on the performance of a specific group of emails is not a native feature. This would be useful for comparing month-over-month trends or different audiences’ rates of engagement.

I have used it for four years.

MailChimp’s service is reliable. The few times we experienced problems, their support staff was able to resolve the issue within a matter of hours.

A definite advantage to MailChimp is the ability to easily scale. They will automatically check how many subscribers you have and move you up to the next level of service, if necessary.

Their technical support is excellent. I found an answer to most of my questions by consulting their knowledge base, which is an easily searchable and comprehensive collection of all their documentation including videos, screenshots and walkthroughs. Their support staff is available by chat and email, and always got back relatively quickly. Most importantly, their staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

We used Lyris before we switched to MailChimp. In Lyris, each email needed to be designed using HTML and CSS, which obviously took a lot of time and expertise. In addition, the user interface was not nearly as intuitive and the support was non-existent on the account we were on.

Setting up MailChimp was relatively painless. MailChimp provides defaults for all forms, templates and other settings, so we were able to customize what was important to us and leave everything else as the default.

MailChimp has a discount for non-profits. It’s also important to note they charge by subscriber, so it’s best to minimize duplicate records. A good way to do this is to use MailChimp’s groups feature, as opposed to setting up separate lists.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated other options, but I don’t remember which ones.

What other advice do I have?

We gradually migrated to MailChimp in stages during our implementation. First, we designed some of our emails in MailChimp, then we moved over our constituent records, then we integrated with our website and so on. This way, if there are particular business needs we could not figure out how to address with MailChimp, we were always able to go back to our previous tool.

VP of Marketing at Amenity Analytics
Fantastic - I wish all my marketing tools were this good

What is most valuable?

Being able to create editable templates for our clients. Once we uploaded the custom template they can then use it every month without worrying about the code, they just change the content and images. I also like the action based responses that you can set up for contacts. It allows scheduling of funnel messages based on particular action and time that has passed.

How has it helped my organization?

I've been creating email newsletter campaigns for over 10 years. With MailChimp I can set up an entire account with custom templates and rules in place for the client. From there they can change the content on their own. When they want another version of the email that is easy as well. Having dynamic fields built in to populate data from the contact database is great personalization that we can't do at scale.

What needs improvement?

Right now there are more features and functionality then most clients ever need or request. MailChimp is always innovating, adding new features, and functionality. I also like their lab projects which have created several very cool apps, especially the one for promoting events.

Over 9 years

No serious issues that we couldn't find a solution to.

Nope

No, even when we've had clients sending over a million emails a month we never saw a difference in delivery rates, bounce rates, etc. It scales without an issue.

I can't recall ever having to contact customer service in my 9+ years. The online guides and forums are pretty good at providing information for almost any scenario.

Top notch

Over the years we've used most of the popular platforms like Constant Contact, Vertical Response, and SilverPop. If you count the marketing automation tools as a ESP then we've also used HubSpot, Marketo, and Act-On. MailChimp is solid and easy to use for clients, but has all the power we need to build great campaigns, A/B test them, get them delivered, tracked, and report.

We usually set up complex accounts for clients, but the system is easy enough to use so while the capabilities of the account is complex and powerful...using it isn't.

In house.

That depends on clients and how much mail they send. Most clients are sending less then 250k with standard pricing while the big senders (million +) require custom pricing. When compared to other solutions the costs are competitive and the satisfaction I hear from my own clients is well worth it. I don't get calls about how to do this or that, errors, or problems. Email is usually time sensitive so I don't want anyone to have a problem at the 11th hour. With MailChimp we never ran into those issues.

Sure, from stand alone bulk email systems through the more commercial products like Constant Contact and Vertical Response. Each has their pros and I recommend all three, but I tend to recommend and use MailChimp more due to the ease of use for the client. When it's so easy for anyone in the office to use it makes managing and running campaigns that much easier.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out with the free trial, here's the link for MailChimps free trial http://bit.ly/1dQHoak and also try out the other competitors. Most have free trials, so use that time to get familiar with the user interface, features, and functionality that you are looking for. A lot of times a feature on paper looks great, but when you go to use it you find that it doesn't work like you need it to. Take it for a test drive and find out for yourself.

Managing Member at Christiano Ferraro Consultancy, LLC
Its automated pass-through of data from targeted behaviors trigger an automated progressive drip campaign, but automated workflows do not have control for dynamic behavioral targeting.

What is most valuable?

It has well-executed integration with Shopify (an e-commerce solution).

How has it helped my organization?

Its automated pass-through of data from targeted behaviors trigger an automated progressive drip campaign.

What needs improvement?

Automated workflows do not have control for dynamic behavioral targeting in any way.

2 years

No, it is extremely easy to understand.

Dynamic behavioral targeting is not possible. As I work with clients who wish to scale their operations, this will result in an inevitable migration to a more sophisticated tool.

No phone, but chat person was good, prompt and intelligent.

Same as above.

Aweber. The integration between Aweber and Shopify was not nearly as streamlined. The MailChimp / Shopify integration translates purchasing history and even customer tags which facilitate superior targeting opportunities for campaigns.

Very simple.

Myself.

Varies by client.

This is the cheapest, simplest and easiest white-listed provider to use. Recommended for any small business with no need to transition until they are capable to execute automation that targets from comprehensive behaviors.

This choice was driven by integration requirements requiring no technical assistance and involved migrating from another solution so no.

What other advice do I have?

Start with this tool for your email marketing. It solves most basic needs in an affordable and easy to use way.

it_user341037
Marketing Coordinator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I can have a really good looking newsletter with minimum effort, but it gives me errors when I'm sending to 400+ people at the same time.

What is most valuable?

It provides many different templates. It's free!

How has it helped my organization?

It makes sending newsletters a lot easier! I can have a really good looking newsletter with minimum effort.

What needs improvement?

It gives me errors every time I try to send a newsletter to more than 400 people at a time.

I've used it for a year.

No issues encountered.

I haven´t been in touch with MailChimp, and I haven´t had the need. …

What is most valuable?

• It provides many different templates.
  • It's free!

I've used it for a year.

No issues encountered.

I haven´t been in touch with MailChimp, and I haven´t had the need.

We switched because this is easier to use.

It was really easy.

It varies.

We looked at a few other free ones on the market, but I can't remember names.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to get the premium version.

Responsable de Comunicación y Marketing at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The segmentation of campaigns for specific audiences is good but the ability to broaden the segments would be great.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of integration with other platforms
  • The segmentation of campaigns for specific audiences

How has it helped my organization?

MailChimp has provided us an online email marketing solution to send newsletters and mailings to our customers.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to be able to create broader segments for campaigns. For example, easily target a newsletter to all our contacts in Latin America.

I've been using it for a year and a half, and we are currently on the Forever Free option.

I haven't had to use it.

I haven't had to use it.

We didn't have a previous solution in place.

It was very simple and intuitive. You chose gradually what you needed, and you're guided through the process step by step.

We implemented in-house.

We have an average of 23% opens per marketing campaign.

There is no cost.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

It’s very easy, and you can start using it without being an expert in e-marketing.

Graphic Design, Marketing, Lead Generation at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
I save time with editable templates and can see who's viewed and clicked on my mails,

Valuable Features:

Analytics, templates, functionality.

I use MailChimp for newsletters. As a graphic designer, I usually hate working with templates. With MailChimp the templates are more editable and actually save me time instead of taking my time. I also love seeing who viewed and clicked on my mails. I also really enjoy the graphics of MailChimp and the big button to press when sending out my newsletters.

Use of Solution:

3 years

Deployment Issues:

N0

Stability Issues:

Initial Setup:

It was great, very user friendly. I didn't need any help.

Other Solutions Considered:

I have tried Yesware and Smartnote.

Other Advice:

I only use the free version of MailChimp and I find it to be perfect for my needs. Don't tell them, but I can't believe I have all that functionality for free.

it_user263430
Co-founder, Web developer at a media company with 51-200 employees
Although there's always room for improvement, we can easily build and send modern, nice looking, relevant newsletters to followers.

What is most valuable?

Honestly, everything. It's one of the services I really appreciate.

How has it helped my organization?

We managed to easily build and send modern, nice looking, relevant newsletters to hundreds of followers, analyze our projects and thinking of new and better ways to do it, because of the diversity that comes with it.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement, but I realize that it's hard to name something in particular. I am amazed at how Mailchimp is designed today.

I tested it four years ago, and have been using it for a year and a half.

10/10.

No, I just used Mailchimp. I am very happy with it, so I am not thinking to switch to any other solution.

Ir's straightforward, Mailchimp is beautifully systemized.

Great prices for the amount of things that are being offered.

No. And it was not the case, after discovering what Mailchimp can do and how it does it.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it for a few days. You'll love it.

Secretary at Lake Erie Logistics, LLC
Understanding the creation of a template was easy as it is a drag-n-drop system, but the video embedding doesn’t render until you send a campaign.

What is most valuable?

The analytics are great for me because it helps me see who is interacting with the email and how many clicks I’m getting per edition. The templates are also very easy drag-n-drop setups that allow for quite a bit of customization.

How has it helped my organization?

As an author, I was going to a lot of effort to interact with fans and MailChimp has enabled me to make it easy for everyone to catch up on blogs they missed, see exclusive videos before it hits my YouTube channel, and catch up with the projects I’m working on. I feel it gives my monthly content longer life while helping me work smarter, not harder.

What needs improvement?

There are some YouTube elements that could be simplified. I’m unable to see the linked video render until I send myself a campaign (a test template doesn’t show the actual video) and that’s one thing that causes me to take extra steps before I send out the campaign.

The video embedding doesn’t render until you send a campaign, which makes it hard to see the layout. If I could test a template and see the total finished product, I’d rate this up to a 10. Also, from template to campaign, the sizing of the text changes so that certain elements look great in the template, but then skew in size when sent as a campaign. Not a huge problem, but it does throw off the look of the email. Otherwise, it does everything I need.

I’ve been sending out newsletters since December of 2014. I’m doing a monthly email to subscribers on my list and finding that is a good period of time, so right now I’m using the free plan as my newsletter is just a few months into production.

I was able to test send initial campaigns to myself before the first email went to subscribers, so deployment was smooth. The process gets faster and faster the more I use the MailChimp system.

I’ve not encountered any stability issues. Login is always fast and secure, and my account has never had any issues. All the campaigns have gone out at the exact day/time they were scheduled.

I was pleased to not have any issues. In fact, after a month, I found that a customized tab can be added to my Facebook author page to help me get more exposure. It has helped me gain traction and was very easy to link.

Emails are answered timely and follow-up is always good. They have a great site and a blog where you're connected with great content to help your knowledge build as you go.

MailChimp tech support is prompt and thorough. They helped me better understand their video element while being very patient. They have always followed up with me and don’t talk down to me, even when I have an obvious question.

I never used an email service such as MailChimp before – many others like Aweber. However, Aweber seems to have a cost to do what MailChimp’s free service matches.

Setup was easy as I just needed to login with Facebook. Understanding the creation of a template was easy as it is a drag-n-drop system. The implementation of a video element to the template was the most complex as I didn’t understand that the template doesn’t show *all* of what the campaign will look like.

I did it all myself.

I break even so far. In using the free version of this program, I have not made sales based on a buyer receiving a newsletter, and I haven’t had anyone unsubscribe. My YouTube channel has increased by at least 10 subscribers, and I consider that a decent ROI so far.

For those starting out, this free version gives you a very professional look. I feel that if you have a couple hundred subscribers on your list, you’d benefit more from upgrading to a paid program as the options really open up when you pay. I feel MailChimp offers competitive rates for the level of tech support they provide, and that the more extensive analytics would be of tremendous benefit.

I spoke with other authors who use Aweber programs and found out they were paying for elements that MailChimp already offered for free. I did not evaluate it personally and I have only ever sent out campaigns with MailChimp.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t just write another blog to send out to subscribers. Really take in the options MailChimp offers and create something eye-catching and unique. Most authors I know simply write letters to fans. I have found I can offer freebie links, videos, image elements that link to past blogs, etc, and I like to keep it short and sweet. So far, this is working when competing with the valuable time of fans, and if click rates are low, don’t give up – change it up!

it_user232971
Sr. Business Analyst at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
MailChimp allows us to create as many campaigns and templates as we want, but they should offer some more modern templates.

What is most valuable?

• Easy campaign setup
  • Easy modern template creation
  • It provides an easy to read results view for statistics for each campaign, or a summary for all our campaigns

How has it helped my organization?

MailChimp has allowed us to easily integrate it with our CRM which has reduced the amount of effort needed to setup up and track any marketing newsletter.

What needs improvement?

MailChimp should have a better offering for ready made modern templates but this is usually supplied by the community. Recently, these selections have not updated much.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

MailChimp allows us to create as many campaigns and templates as we want, so there are no issues so far with scalability. Some advanced features, like automation are offered as a paid service.

9/10.

10/10.

We previously used Constant Contact, but made the switch because MailChimp does a much better job at tracking, and managing each marketing effort through campaigns.

Initial setup is extremely easy as the interface provides breadcrumb helpers and small tutorials on the next steps on first using MailChimp.

We implemented it in-house.

We haven't really been able to gauge the value in a financial manner. As we are on the free version, it makes it easier for us to track who opens emails, as well as send out information to our clients on a monthly basis on our free webinars and new product offerings.

Our internal marketing team uses the free version of MailChimp to meet our needs.

We also looked at Constant Contact.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the integrations it has with other systems, which can save you a lot of time setting up campaigns. Creating templates is a simple drag and drop process, so anyone without technical experience can build a template.

it_user225756
Web Development Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It has a good, fast interface, however, it is not the most intuitive.

What is most valuable?

• Strong and well documented API
  • Good, fast interface
  • Excellent network architecture
  • Simple, but very important, reporting

How has it helped my organization?

MailChimp almost doubled our email marketing delivery and open rates.

What needs improvement?

Its admin interface, particularly for setting up a new campaign, is not the most intuitive. A bit of a learning curve is expected for new users, and even more difficult for ones who do not have a technical background.

I've used it for five years.

No issues encountered.

Probably one of the best in the industry, even if the client is just a small business and only using their free-tier.

Very good. Although when it comes to technical inquiries, they are not as swift but they still try their best.

Previously we self-hosted the email marketing solution. The time and money it took to maintain it was not worth the effort compared to this solution.

It was pretty straightforward. We just needed to migrate the lists, make some adjustments to follow MailChimp's unique structure, and create the template. Once that was done, we were ready to send out our first campaign.

We did it in-house.

There is practically no setup cost, and we only use their pay-as-you-go pricing.

We also looked at Campaign Monitor.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time to learn from their extension knowledge base, spend time to play around with its interface and do not hesitate to contact the support for any questions.

it_user224262
Project Manager - Digital Marketing at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
It's great for those on a strict budget, however, they have very little support.

What is most valuable?

The ability to send emails without needing to know any code. Also, it's great for those on a strict budget.

How has it helped my organization?

My company wanted to send emails, but had a very small budget.

What needs improvement?

They have poor inbox visibility, and many of the emails went to the spam folder. The domains that the emails were sent from were blacklisted, thus affecting our inbox visibility.

I used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Yes - sending emails and getting into the inbox.

No issues encountered.

It is self service and they have very little support. However, they do have a lot of FAQ's you can read through.

Very beginner.

No previous solution was used.

It was straightforward. There are no customizations and it's batch and blast.

Very little.

It cost us about $250.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

If it's for a small business sending out a monthly newsletter, it's a great solution. If you are a business looking for stability and different campaign types to run, look at a different solution.

Independent Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
When they shut off our ability to send mail, there is no email sent to us which explains why. However, we do love the RSS campaigns.

What is most valuable?

The ability to do send emails via RSS.

How has it helped my organization?

With RSS campaigns, nobody has to login every morning to send the daily news email to 19K readers.

What needs improvement?

Pretty much everything, and the RSS campaign is the only reason we stick with MailChimp. The connector to Salesforce is the worst thing about it. Expect your Salesforce storage to increase by 100% after connecting to MailChimp, maybe even more than that. I've seen organizations jump from well under their data limit to 240% of their data limit because of MailChimp. It is actually easier to manually import and export between the two systems than to use the connector.

MailChimp's deliverability is pretty poor, and I don't think they are interested in improving it. Our news is something that our subscribers actually want and they call when they don't receive it. That's not your typical MailChimp customer, and so MailChimp support really doesn't care (the monkey puns don't help.) We routinely see subscribers unsubscribed without their knowledge. MailChimp insists this is because they've forwarded to a friend who has clicked the unsubscribe link. If this happened once a year, I'd believe it. This happens several times a week and I just don't buy it.

MailChimp also chooses not to fail gracefully in some situations that have caused me big problems. For instance, I had a list in Salesforce that I knew was already mostly in MailChimp, but I knew that there were at least a few emails that weren't in MailChimp and I wanted to add them. Because MailChimp does a nice job of not adding any email address twice, I foolishly imported the list into MailChimp. Unfortunately it contained too many emails that MailChimp had decided not to send to (unsubscribes, bounces, etc.) and instead of simply refusing to import all of those, it imported the entire list and shut down our ability to send email. We couldn't send email again until we took out every single subscriber that had been in that import, and this included ones who had been active subscribers with no issues, and were simply duplicated in the list we imported. We had to contact these people individually and ask them to re-subscribe, and they were not impressed. I'll likely hold a grudge about this for a long time.

I've used it for two years.

Setting up MailChimp as a mail marketing tool is easy, however, connecting to Salesforce isn't hard, but it works poorly.

There's an issue with MailChimp at least once a month, and usually we spent three to five hours dealing with it.

The basic MailChimp services scale well. The Salesforce connector, however, scales very, very poorly.

Poor. When they have shut off our ability to send mail, there is no email sent to us. Therefore, we have to login and go to our notifications to find the reason.

Very poor. Expect monkey puns and people who don't care about your problem.

We've used Constant Contact, which also charges by the size of the list rather than total sends. We definitely need a provider that charges that way. We switched because Constant Contact didn't have RSS Campaigns. As I said before, we do like RSS Campaigns and they work most of the time.

It's straightforward, and you don't really have a lot of choices, which can be a good thing.

We did it in-house.

Tough to say. Employees are generally happier, because their email sends are automated through RSS campaigns. Those of us who have to deal with deliverability and connectors are much less happy, and we've had to spend a lot of (expensive) time dealing with it.

This is where MailChimp shines. Our licensing cost is US$120/month, which is very cheap for sending 15k emails per day. As soon as another vendor starts providing RSS campaigns, and not charging $1200/month (low end of other things I've found that do this and connect to Salesforce), we'll probably switch.

• Constant Contact
  • Vertical Response
  • Predictive Response -- as soon as they launch their RSS campaign feature, we'll seriously consider switching

What other advice do I have?

Don't connect to Salesforce, and expect about 80-90% deliverability.

it_user217797
Owner with 51-200 employees
It was quite straightforward to setup but the training manuals need work.

What is most valuable?

Bulk emailing Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

We do more outbound marketing as this method makes it so much easier to do.

What needs improvement?

The training materials need work. Also, the on-line info is only useful if you already know what you are doing which generally isn't the case with a new product.

I've used it for eight months.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Very good. Technical Support: Very good.

Which

What is most valuable?

• Bulk emailing
  • Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

We do more outbound marketing as this method makes it so much easier to do.

What needs improvement?

I've used it for eight months.

Very good.

There was nothing in use previously.

It was quite straightforward as it has easy to follow instructions.

It was implemented in-house.

No cost to set it up.

No other options were looked at.

What other advice do I have?

• Use it
  • I have produced twp training manuals for beginners which I've used with my clients
it_user217740
Digital Designer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
I think the product is a good tool for small businesses and/or organizations running simple campaigns with small - moderate sized subscriber lists. The customer service and technical support is decent about addressing issues, but they are hard to get to when you really need them the first time. Contact information is buried among layers of self-help advice, which is annoying when you already know that you have an issue that is beyond your ability to pinpoint.  The template building drag n' drop interface is easy to use, but has restrictions. I wouldn't recommend it for people who have very specific designs for their email campaigns. Overall, it's a good affordable option for those with flexible designs and a desire for a simple visual editor.

it_user217728
Emarketing Specialist at a printing company with 501-1,000 employees
Great because you are able to look at click throughs and robust analytics.

Valuable Features

Very user friendly Drag and drop feature Forms

Use of Solution

I've used MailChimp for six years.

Customer Service: Customer service of this product is excellent. Technical Support: Tech support is great and they get back to you fairly fast.

ROI

ROI is great, I am able to look at click throughs and robust analytics.

Other Advice

It's very robust and easy to use as well as being very user friendly

Valuable Features

• Very user friendly
  • Drag and drop feature
  • Forms

Use of Solution

I've used MailChimp for six years.

Customer service of this product is excellent.

Tech support is great and they get back to you fairly fast.

ROI

ROI is great, I am able to look at click throughs and robust analytics.

Other Advice

It's very robust and easy to use as well as being very user friendly

it_user212673
Webmaster with 51-200 employees
It's very user friendly and easy to use out of the box.

What is most valuable?

• Easy learning curve
  • User friendly
  • It is easy to make a new design with the basic templates available
  • The statistics feature is very important to see if our newsletters are being read

How has it helped my organization?

We used to send a lot of emails with Microsoft Outlook but it took too much time. Now, with Mailchimp it is so much easier to send mailings to our members.

What needs improvement?

At this moment I cannot think of one.

For three years now.

No issues encountered.

Service is great! I have had some questions about mailings and I used the chat feature. I was always helped in a superb way.

Before I used Yourzine.nl which is also a web based newsletter application. We switched because of the costs as Yourzine was too expensive.

Very out of the box. No need for assistance. If you are familiar with internet and websites, you can start right away.

We did not make use of a vendor.

• Setup costs: none
  • Monthly costs: about US$240

No, this product (Mailchimp) was the best option we found.

What other advice do I have?

No need of advice. It works out of the box on a web browser.

it_user211974
Owner & Chief Marketing Officer with 51-200 employees
We like that we can be added as managers for our clients but the options for the RSS campaigns could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The list management and segmentation options are probably our favorite feature. It allows us to manage one list but send campaigns based on segments. It’s a cleaner way to do it compared to Constant Contact where you need to have multiple lists with the same recipient on each which quickly becomes confusing and redundant.

We also love the drag and drop feature in creating and updating email campaigns! It makes it really easy to customize templates on the fly.

We also love that we can be added as managers for our clients. This allows us to login using our own account but toggle back and forth as needed.

How has it helped my organization?

The list management is the feature that really helps us function better. We are able to manage ONE list and segment campaigns by clients, city, whether the recipient has been to a presentation, etc.

We use Constant Contact occasionally for clients but the list management tool is not nearly as robust forcing you to add everything in a “tag” field which becomes a dumping ground for information but is the only way to segment a single list. It’s just not as usable.

What needs improvement?

One of the things that we like about MailChimp is that they are constantly improving. We are very happy with the features they offer and don’t find we are using “work around” solutions. However, if I had to say something, I would say the options for the RSS campaigns could be improved. Images from posts are fussy to add to RSS campaigns and adding excerpts vs. full posts or title only can be confusing.

Westchester Marketing Café LLC has been using MailChimp for over five years. We were first introduced to MailChimp by a client, actually, but found it to be a better solution than VerticalResponse which we were using at the time, so we made the switch.

No, set up was pretty easy. You can copy and paste your list, or import it using a myriad of options. Setting up the template was pretty easy as well.

Setting up the RSS campaign was probably the hardest part. But we ended up not using that feature since we wanted to be able to add other snippets besides just the latest blog article so we now do it manually anyway.

I vaguely recall a problem some years back but we were able to resolve it quickly and without major incident. I don’t even recall what the issue was now.

No. Along with most of our clients we are a small business so the lists we manage are all under 10K and pretty easy to manage.

We have not tried any of the other features such as the 360 integration that relates to eCommerce stuff which is where I would imagine scalability may be an issue.

I really haven’t had to use customer service much but it is only by email which is unfortunate.

Again, I really haven’t had to use technical support but it is only by email which is unfortunate. Anytime I’ve had question I search online and using their Knowledge Base which has not let me down yet. However, if someone was less familiar with HTML/coding I can see where this might be an issue.

We used to use VerticalResponse but made the switch because we found MailChimp to be easier and faster to work with. In particular, the user interface was far more user friendly. They also seemed to be more “cutting edge” and continue to add features and improve usability.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward, although obviously there was a learning curve. We had to familiarize ourselves with the interface, and make decisions about list management (i.e. what data to collect and/or add in the background as we imported our list), etc. However, we found the learning curve to be pretty short.

We implemented it in-house.

We are a service company so ROI is hard to measure. We do, however, get positive results with calls and emails from our newsletter although sometimes this is simply in the form of a “thank you.”

There was no set up cost. We spend $10/month for the option of not including the MailChimp logo on our newsletter and another $1/month for the social integration which gives us information on our readers and their social media profiles.

We have not considered switching but as I mentioned we do occasionally use ConstantContact for clients. Every time we do we feel validated that MailChimp is the way to go!

What other advice do I have?

If you are not already working with a marketing person, it may be a good time to start. Having a strategy for your list, your email campaigns and social integration is key to success. A good team will help you get up and running more quickly and avoid common mistakes in the process.

Whether you are using a service to implement or going it alone, understand how you will be targeting your campaigns so you can properly manage your list. Importing your list properly will help you in the long term.

it_user205161
Client Services at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
A/B testing could be streamlined although the drag and drop email creation is helpful.

Valuable Features

List management (compliance) Drag and drop email creation Chat support

Improvements to My Organization

There was no email marketing at our company before MailChimp, so this product allowed us to begin email marketing which is less costly and less resource intensive.

Room for Improvement

A/B testing on design could be streamlined.

Use of Solution

Since 2009, so six years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10/10 - I LOVE the chat support.

It's straightforward.

Implementation Team

I did it myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We have the $79…

Valuable Features

• List management (compliance)
  • Drag and drop email creation
  • Chat support

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

A/B testing on design could be streamlined.

Use of Solution

Since 2009, so six years.

10/10.

10/10 - I LOVE the chat support.

It's straightforward.

Implementation Team

I did it myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We have the $79 per month plan – very affordable!!

Other Solutions Considered

Constant Contact is the only one I remember discussing.

Other Advice

Take advantage of their knowledge base and educate yourself on the fundamentals of email marketing.

Adjunct Professor at Norwalk Community College Foundation, Inc
List management could be more scalable but it helps us stay in touch with our clients.

What is most valuable?

Broadcasting newsletters and mail management.

How has it helped my organization?

Staying in touch with our clients and knowing if our clients are still interested in our services.

What needs improvement?

List management could be more scalable.

Five Years.

No issues encountered.

Yes - the list management can, at times, be somewhat confusing when using different form factors.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Very good.

Which solution did I use

What is most valuable?

Broadcasting newsletters and mail management.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

List management could be more scalable.

Five Years.

Excellent.

Very good.

Straightforward, but I found the earlier versions to be easier in respect to the building of templates.

Dëvóps Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Pricey but promise support, then quick to ditch you in case of trouble
Mailchimp is pricey, but with the promise of helping you achieve deliverability and support you when things go wrong. which is exactly why we were totally dismayed that as we found out a major provider was rejecting our mails (not by mailchimp reporting it, but by an external tool), Mailchimp eschewed all responsibility nor tried to provide significant help. Everything about its conduct yelled "it's your problem'. Even data that was needed to properly diagnose the problem was not shared with us. Needless to say, we will never use any RSG product again. yep, that bad.

Needless to say, we will never use any RSG product again. yep, that bad.

Director of Marketing at a tech company with 51-200 employees
MailChimp is a very useful product for HTML dummies and experts.
I have been using MailChimp for almost seven years. The product keeps getting better and better with lots of useful functionality being added all of the time. These are the things I find most helpful about MailChimp: The interface is easy to use even if you don’t know HTML or CSS. However you can write emails from scratch in HTML and CSS or edit emails using HTML and CSS if this is something you want to do. There are wonderful prepared templates which can be customized as needed but can also be sent as is. The stats generated post-sending are very helpful and easy to understand. MailChimp also has a wealth of resources available to help users understand email best practices, understand the stats MailChimp generates and help improve the bottom lines of its users. To MailChimp’s credit,…

These are the things I find most helpful about MailChimp:

• The interface is easy to use even if you don’t know HTML or CSS.
  • However you can write emails from scratch in HTML and CSS or edit emails using HTML and CSS if this is something you want to do.
  • There are wonderful prepared templates which can be customized as needed but can also be sent as is.
  • The stats generated post-sending are very helpful and easy to understand.

To MailChimp’s credit, the company goes to great efforts to keep spammers from using their product, even if it means they will lose money.

Unfortunately MailChimp does have one big drawback, the autoresponders have some bugs and the instructions can be a little hard to understand.

Overall MailChimp is a very good product that I would recommend to any small or large business.

Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'm quite confident that you will be hooked in no time
For how long have you used this solution? - Several years now . Which features are most valuable? - The many level of reports like who forwarded you mail, didn't open, ..... Can you give an example of how this solution has improved the way your organization functions? - When using mailchimp it can track how many people realy have opend your emails. It will show u how many people have forward the mail where they clicked on it etc ... If u want to start sending out mails u need to understand your customers this tool just gives u a much better idea about your public's intrest. What areas of this solution have room for improvement? - So far none it's just perfect as is. Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability? If so, please describe. - Not at…

For how long have you used this solution?
- Several years now .

Which features are most valuable?
- The many level of reports like who forwarded you mail, didn't open, .....

What areas of this solution have room for improvement?
- So far none it's just perfect as is.

- Not at all and since it's hosted we not have to worry about a thing

Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch?
- Yes, before we used our own phplist to send out emails. Every time it was hard to create beautiful looking emails and there was no tracking at all about who opened the mail forwarded it etc ...

Before choosing this solution, did you evaluate other options? If so, which ones?
- It became clear from the start that there was only 1 real good solution and that was mailchimp it's just standing out above any other solution imho.

How would you rate the level of customer service and technical support?
- So far no support was needed, all worked well and I have used the product already for many other solutions before.

Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways?
- Setting up mailchimp is easy with plenty of instructions to help you out and to explain things.

Did you implement it in-house or through a vendor team? If through a vendor, how would you rate their work?
- The only thing to implement is connecting mailchimp with other applications. For that there is an extensive api available. - So far we where able to do everything by ourselves.

What is your ROI on this solution?
- Hard to say if you have less then 2000 contacts to send mail to it's free. Above 2000 you have to buy credits or pay a monthly fee. - If you buy for example 5000 credits you pay $100. Since it's returning customers to us and helping us to clean up our maillist it pays itself back real quick.

What was your original setup cost for this solution and what is your day-to-day cost of using it?
- None, we did the setup by ourselves the only cost was the time to set it up and to connect it with our other applications.

What advice would you give to others looking into this solution?
- What are you waiting for? It's easy, it helps you a lot and it's not to expensive give it a try. Stay under 2000 users at first so you can use most of the features for free. I'm quite confident that you will be hooked in no time!