ManageEngine Applications Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine Applications Manager is the #20 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to AppDynamics: ManageEngine Applications Manager vs AppDynamics

What is ManageEngine Applications Manager?

ManageEngine Applications Manager is an enterprise-ready, easy-to-use, affordable application management solution that helps enterprises monitor their mission-critical applications and data centers effectively. It enables you to monitor web applications, web servers, application servers, databases, and systems which are the lifeline of businesses. Its heterogeneous monitoring capability and business centric view helps the IT Team to troubleshoot application performance issues quickly.

ManageEngine Applications Manager is also known as Applications Manager.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ManageEngine Applications Manager Customers

Certis Europe, Financial Domain, SaaS Office Suite, On Demand TV, Parliament's IT Systems, Sastra Technologies, UniServity

ManageEngine Applications Manager Video

Archived ManageEngine Applications Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

JS
Monitoring Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Straightforward to deploy and easy to use, but stability is a significant problem

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is its ease of use."
  • "The dashboards in the interface need a lot of work."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for application monitoring.

We have an on-premises deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its ease of use.

What needs improvement?

We would like the ability to log and move monitors between probes.

The dashboards in the interface need a lot of work.

The ability to go ad-hoc would be a helpful inclusion in the next release. You put something into maintenance mode on a schedule, which is something that I can't do from my screen.

We have been using this solution for six years.

At the moment, we are not finding this solution to be very stable. We've had a lot of calls with the vendor to sort things out.

Scalability is pretty simple. We have more than two hundred users.

If you're dealing directly within the technical support team then they are pretty good.

Prior to using this solution, we were using Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM), and it was horrible.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty straightforward. The deployment took no longer than a week, including getting everything up and running.

We performed the implementation in-house.

The cost of this solution is not too bad, although it could be cheaper considering what you're getting for the price.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the size of the environment, this is a solution that I recommend. You also have to be careful about how you deploy it.

This is a good product, but right now, we have too many issues with stability.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

BS
Practice Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is a cost-effective solution with an easy implementation curve.

• "The initial setup was straightforward, without complexity."
  • "Even with the top-notch dashboard, it could be made stronger in order to have an additional plug-in for analytics."

What is our primary use case?

It is used primarily to monitor applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a cost-effective solution that has an easy implementation curve.

What needs improvement?

Even with the top-notch dashboard, it could be made stronger with an additional plug-in for analytics. If that could be included, it would add more value.

It is quite stable. We have not found any issues in the past two years.

They have given us an architecture that looks quite scalable. We haven't scaled past our current needs, but we have about 1000 devices and applications.

I have used tech support. I find them helpful, and they give correct advice.

The initial setup was straightforward, without complexity.

ManageEngine Application Manager is not as costly as other solutions in the marketplace.

In the cases of:

The features on the dashboard of ManageEngine Application Manager are much better than these other solutions. Furthermore, I found that those solutions can be quite costly in comparison.

What other advice do I have?

This solution covers 80-90% of our requirements, and that is fine for us. I would recommend this product to others looking for a solution in this realm.

Find out what your peers are saying about ManageEngine, Dynatrace, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: October 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Product Manager - IT Management Solutions at a reseller with 11-50 employees
Integrator
Applications Manager offers out-of-the-box monitoring support for 80+ applications and servers.​

What is most valuable?

All IT monitoring in one console (Server, Apps, and Business Service).

How has it helped my organization?

We manage a wide range of business applications and network services. So we can get the flexibility to group an application and its related services to be monitored as a single dashboard.

What needs improvement?

End user experience monitoring.

Eight years.

No issues.

No issues.

Excellent.

Easy to use and competitive price.

Initial setup and configuration are very very simple.

What other advice do I have?

Applications Manager helps businesses ensure their revenue-critical applications meet end user expectations.

it_user576465
Product Manager IT Management & Io T Solutions at a tech services company
Groups applications and their related services and monitors them from a single dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Takes care of all IT monitoring in one console: Server, apps and business services.
  • Helps businesses ensure their revenue-critical applications meet end-user expectations.
  • Offers out-of-the-box monitoring support for 80+ applications and servers.
  • Allows you to monitor application servers, databases, web-servers, ERP systems, and physical & virtual servers.
  • Provides end-user monitoring.
  • Performs monitoring in agentless mode.

How has it helped my organization?

We manage a wide range of business applications and network services. We get the flexibility to group applications and their related services and monitor them from a single dashboard.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see end-user experience monitoring, which is now is in the beta release. With this release, we can only monitor web applications.

My suggestion for improving this feature is to also monitor the end-user experience for application clients and servers.

There have been no problems with stability.

There have been no problems with scalability.

Technical support is excellent.

We used another solution, but switched to this one due the ease-of-use and the competitive price.

The initial setup and configuration is very, very simple.

We did the implementation in-house.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a distributor in Italy.
it_user463824
Solutions Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• APM insight monitoring
  • SQL jobs monitoring

How has it helped my organization?

This tool was able to prove that a problem with our application was in the code rather than the database or infrastructure. The SQL job monitoring also helped the support team to proactively address issues using the same tool. The latter was not the primary intention of the tool, in fact APM Insight is only a plug-in of ManageEngine APM, but we have leveraged the rest of the capability to set-up a systems monitoring service in our infrastructure. We had zero systems monitoring in place and this product gave us something rather quickly at a very reasonable cost i.e. one way or the other, everyone is capable of using native monitoring/alerting capabilities of the various systems in place, but everyone is occupied with more critical deliverables.

What needs improvement?

It can’t be configured to store APM Insight data for more than one month. It does not log the web services transaction parameters, hence our developers had to tediously investigate the SQL trace per transaction to understand the functions/method invoked. This also meant it was not straightforward to tie up the transactions from the front end to the back-end web services.

I've used it for four months.

It was not able to monitor 32-bit .NET applications even after getting L3 support to help out. The OS of the server was Windows 2008 and the problem is more likely with this obsolete system rather than the product. Nevertheless, there was no strong drive to further troubleshoot the issue since the 32-bit applications were not part of the main use case.

In our experience, there were no issues with the performance.

In our experience, it scaled for what we needed it for.

Excellent. They have a local partner in the Philippines, ITG, who provides primary support. They are very responsive.

Excellent. L3 support are available upon arrangement through the local partner.

No, there was nothing similar in place.

There were problems with the installation, specifically around the trial license of APM. The local support, ITG, came on site to get it to work. There were issues in getting WMI to work for agentless monitoring of .NET and IIS to a Windows 2008 server. There was no further troubleshooting since the tool was sufficient for the primary use case. The technical support document on the internet was not up to date. All in all, the level of complexity was acceptable considering the support that the local partner extended to us.

Implemented locally with technical support from vendor.I would rate the local partner as 4/5.

If you compare the price with AppDynamics, NewRelic or DynaTrace, ManageEngine APM cost is negligible.

AppDynamics and New Relic were considered but it was straightforward to use ManageEngine APM for our use case due to the cost and an existing relationship with the local partner of ManageEngine. No technical trial was done with AppDynamics or New Relic..

What other advice do I have?

If cost is your consideration and you have a well-rounded system administrator, this is a good product to explore. The tool provides sufficient insight to take the analysis of the performance issue of your application to the next level. The rationale about getting ManageEngine as opposed to the leading products, is that we did not need an enterprise solution to monitor all our services. We got the product to isolate the performance issues of a .NET application with a user base of less than 6000.
Try this one out first and if the tool can’t deliver what you’re looking for, then try the bigger names. We were able to get a one month trial and further extension through an existing relationship with local partner.

it_user248904
Network specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It monitors RAID storage on a local ESXi server, but the SMS feature needs better modem support.

Valuable Features:

It's number one, as it does all that you need for monitoring, highly recommended. This is because Application Manager is super easy to use. It was exceptional for me because it an all-in-one solution.

The best option that is has is the option that allows you to enable monitoring RAID storage on a local ESXi server.

Improvements to My Organization:

I have set it to monitor all the services on physical and virtual servers, our websites ,our databases, and report via SMS. I used its web-link monitor, services monitor (Linux, Windows. ESXi, etc.) and so many other options.

I found Application Manager better than other products, including Solarwinds, because there are so manys option in Application Manager that makes it unique, such as supporting all servers, networks, cloud systems etc.

Room for Improvement:

More modem support for SMS feature.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about ManageEngine, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and more!