ManageEngine Desktop Central Overview

ManageEngine Desktop Central is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Client Desktop Management tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: ManageEngine Desktop Central vs Microsoft Intune

What is ManageEngine Desktop Central?

A web-based windows desktop management software that helps in managing 1000s of desktops from a central location. It can manage desktops both in LAN and across WAN. It automates regular desktop management activities like installing software, patches, and service packs, standardize the desktops by applying uniform configurations such as wallpapers, shortcuts, printer, etc. In simple terms, it helps administrators to automate, standardize, secure, and audit their windows network.

ManageEngine Desktop Central is also known as Desktop Central, ManageEngine Desktop Management MSP.

ManageEngine Desktop Central Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine Desktop Central Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

ManageEngine Desktop Central Customers

Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Strathallan School, BMI Healthcare, Comercial Kywi, First Priority Federal Credit Union, Gerab National Enterprises

ManageEngine Desktop Central Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

LC
IT Projects Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
We can monitor and find out which software products are installed on each desktop then figure out which ones have to get patched

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is to monitor software installs.

• "ManageEngine has improved my organization because right now we can actually monitor and find out which software products are installed on each desktop. We can then figure out which ones have to get patched and so forth."
  • "I would like to see them include the ability to find out the network usage but I believe that might be a feature of it already."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product and I would suggest it to someone considering it. It's been working very well. Since it's been running I don't think we've ever had any issues with it. I would rate it a ten out of ten.
Senior IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
The solution gives us the ability to manage all user operating systems on a single console

What other advice do I have?

Look for something that will fit your environment, budget, and level of expertise. For us, we manage all OSs. This was a perfect fit. We also have 5000 endpoints. ManageEngine allows us to manage these endpoints at a fraction of the cost. Our IT administrators are also able to use the product without much complication compared to other competitors.
Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine Desktop Central. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have almost 2500 computers inside our private network. Managing those computers from a single console meant a dream come true for us.
ICT Support Analyst & SNN/LLPG officer at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
I don't have to use a dedicated WSUS server, everything is properly scheduled including reports via e-mail. I would like the deployment window time to be reduced as it currently needs 3 hours minimum.

What other advice do I have?

With Secure USB, the system relies on the Device Instance ID of the USB device to identify and secure it (Allow, Deny). For implementation, my advice would be to “Deny all USB access” in order to allow access to devices only permitted by the organisation when plugged in. The “Device Instance ID” is a unique, long string, alphanumerical identifier. To allow access to a specific device you’ll need to copy/paste this ID (from Device Manager) into ManageEngine. Let’s say you now have 20 IDs listed, how would you know which ID is for which device, as ManageEngine does not provide such option. I…
Director of Consulting at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The ability to automate the reboot time has been critical. The way patches are pushed out and applied can use a little work as it appears the patches are pushed out and just force applied as a group.

What other advice do I have?

I like the ease of setup and administration. There are some minor annoyances with how often the server software needs patched, how patching is applied and how the terminologies are translated. Keep an eye on the automated reporting that is generated. We have not fully invested the time to discover why we have inconsistencies with the data, but it appears to be happening.
Lead IT Infrastructure Specialist at Tunstall Healthcare
The features that give us the most value are patch management, remote control, and configuration management.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a go. If you are a small business of less than 25 users, it is free. For larger companies, it is a very reasonably priced solution. It is feature rich and the list of features is growing rapidly. Depending on the version you have, new features are free of charge. Some features are only in Enterprise and not in Pro.
Product Manager - IT Management Solutions at a reseller with 11-50 employees
Integrator
The most valuable features are Patch Management, SW Distribution, Asset Management and Mobile Device Management​.

What is most valuable?

It has several features that I've found valuable, but the most valuable are Patch Management, SW Distribution, Asset Management and Mobile Device Management.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see Patch Management for Linux Systems, which it doesn't have right now and which we could really use.

I've used it for eight years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: ManageEngine offers a great customer support…
Network Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​It has allowed us to deploy laptops to users and not worry about patching Microsoft applications. I'd like to see some enhancements on what parameters you can use to push an application.​

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that updates are once a month. They usually take about 30 minutes to perform.
Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It improves our organization's efficiency because we're now able to install software quickly rather than manually touching each machine.

What other advice do I have?

We were quite rushed to find a product to replace Altiris and this seemed to be the best choice at the time for remote desktop administration and software distribution. When it works, it works well, but their technical support area needs improving.
System Engineer at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
This software gives good insight of all the running applications, especially those that were not installed through DC9 or manually by an admin.

What other advice do I have?

DC9 is a simple, cheap and complete software distribution tool, also to configure all necessary options to control all kinds of OS options on the workstations like in Microsoft Group Policy Editor.
System engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
I was able to save one full time employee and, thus, the software allowed me to present a serious cost reduction to the department staff.

What other advice do I have?

People looking for an easy management tool without steep learning curve like MS System Center should definitely have a look at Desktop Central.
Technology Services Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Patch management is now a more streamlined and automated process with the use of deployment schedules.

What other advice do I have?

Don't use it with Internet Explorer, as it's glitchy. Chrome or FireFox work best.
User Support Specialist at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to deploy software remotely and silently without interfering with users' work. However, they do need to improve their software QA and testing before releasing a new patch.

What other advice do I have?

Do ask for demonstration first, but overall this product is worth the money and continuous improvement is noticeable.