ManageEngine Desktop Central OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine Desktop Central is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Client Desktop Management tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: ManageEngine Desktop Central vs Microsoft Intune

What is ManageEngine Desktop Central?

A web-based windows desktop management software that helps in managing 1000s of desktops from a central location. It can manage desktops both in LAN and across WAN. It automates regular desktop management activities like installing software, patches, and service packs, standardize the desktops by applying uniform configurations such as wallpapers, shortcuts, printer, etc. In simple terms, it helps administrators to automate, standardize, secure, and audit their windows network.

ManageEngine Desktop Central is also known as Desktop Central, ManageEngine Desktop Management MSP.

ManageEngine Desktop Central Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine Desktop Central Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

ManageEngine Desktop Central Customers

Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Strathallan School, BMI Healthcare, Comercial Kywi, First Priority Federal Credit Union, Gerab National Enterprises

ManageEngine Desktop Central Video

Archived ManageEngine Desktop Central Reviews (more than two years old)

MJ
Assistant Manager at Muscat Pharmacy & Stores LLC
A good tool for Patch Management and IT Asset Management, but many reported problems remain unchanged

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Patch Management, IT Asset Management, and Control on Network Computers.

How has it helped my organization?

We adopted this solution by replacing GFI LanGuard. It's a good tool, but many, many issues are there and have been reported to the support team. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to make them understand and most of the problems remain.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Patch Management.

What needs improvement?

The Patch Management functionality needs lots of improvements. The Deployment scheduler needs updating to support various methods for deployment.

We have used this solution from 2012 onward.

Which solution did I use

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

We adopted this solution by replacing GFI LanGuard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Patch Management.

What needs improvement?

The Patch Management functionality needs lots of improvements.

We have used this solution from 2012 onward.

We used GFI LanGuard prior to this solution.

LC
IT Projects Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
We can monitor and find out which software products are installed on each desktop then figure out which ones have to get patched

• "ManageEngine has improved my organization because right now we can actually monitor and find out which software products are installed on each desktop. We can then figure out which ones have to get patched and so forth."
  • "I would like to see them include the ability to find out the network usage but I believe that might be a feature of it already."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is to monitor software installs.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

We haven't used all the features. The parts that we're using are pretty good. I would like to see them include the ability to find out the network usage but I believe that might be a feature of it already.

It's fairly stable. Since I've been here working with the company we haven't had any issues with it.

Scalability is very good. We've got about 100 desktops we're managing at the moment. We require two people for maintenance.

We haven't had to contact their technical support. So far this solution is working well and doing what it's supposed to do.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product and I would suggest it to someone considering it. It's been working very well. Since it's been running I don't think we've ever had any issues with it. I would rate it a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine Desktop Central. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user701484
Senior IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
The solution gives us the ability to manage all user operating systems on a single console

What is most valuable?

What is valuable for us is the ability to manage Windows OS, Mac OS, and Linux OS on a single console. This also includes push applications, patches, and configurations on all three platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to manage all user operating systems on a single console.

What needs improvement?

Management of Mac OS X, Linux OS, and encryption. We would like this to be on par with how Windows OS is managed.

Also, the reporting feature could be more flexible.

We have been using the solution for three years.

We had an issue with the reporting feature, but other than this, it's pretty robust.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is excellent.

We previously used SCCM and ARD. Cost was a big factor. Just the ability to manage all operating systems on a single console was the main reason we chose this solution. Ease of use for the administration was also a big factor.

The setup was straightforward.

We evaluated Jamf, Lansweeper, TriActive, FileWave, etc.

What other advice do I have?

Look for something that will fit your environment, budget, and level of expertise. For us, we manage all OSs. This was a perfect fit.

We also have 5000 endpoints. ManageEngine allows us to manage these endpoints at a fraction of the cost.

Our IT administrators are also able to use the product without much complication compared to other competitors.

it_user700137
Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have almost 2500 computers inside our private network. Managing those computers from a single console meant a dream come true for us.

What is most valuable?

Desktop Management and various reporting features.

How has it helped my organization?

Besides this, central patch management and detailed reporting, especially active directory or inventory management reporting, boosts up our regular activities.

What needs improvement?

Reporting should be customizable. Although there is already a scope of customized reporting, there should be some other option. Besides for that, for inventory management, this software takes data from active directory’s database.

Sometimes this shows some garbage or duplicate value. There should be some method to search the out of order or dead computers.

Since December 2016.

Not yet.

Not really.

Technical support is not up to the mark. In my opinion, this is the area where they should look after more carefully.

I used some trial versions of Microsoft SCCM and different ManageEngine products including ADaudit Plus , ADmanager Plus.

The initial setup was very easy and straightforward

There is a strange licensing policy regarding technician restrictions. Normally, it comes with single technician license (at least at our scenario), which means only one admin user can log into the system.

I think the licensing details, as well as the local partner’s technical resources, need to be evaluated before purchasing the product.

Yes we do, Microsoft SCCM.

ICT Support Analyst & SNN/LLPG officer at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
I don't have to use a dedicated WSUS server, everything is properly scheduled including reports via e-mail. I would like the deployment window time to be reduced as it currently needs 3 hours minimum.

What is most valuable?

Secure USB has allowed us to secure USB ports on our PCs, thus improving our PSN compliance. The main selling point is that it's centralized. We can easily control which system should have access to what and we’re also able to produce a report in case of a security issue.

Patch Management provides us with the ability to patch third-party software on terminal servers. This has improved productivity in terms of being able to automate the process as well as targeting the rights OUs, Security Groups, etc. I have successfully decommissioned my WSUS server and now all Microsoft updates are performed using the “Automate Patch Deployment”.

“Deployment Policy”: It provides me with the ability to schedule server/non-server reboots. This has, for the time being, been the solution for a Microsoft bug for server 2012 R2 whereby a server does not properly reboot after MS updates been applied and forcefully does it when the user logs on instead.

How has it helped my organization?

I no longer have to use a dedicated WSUS server, everything is properly scheduled including the ability to get reports via e-mail. Everything is administered using a web interface. It’s an all-in-one solution not just for patches but for software inventories as well. From a sys admin point of view, it now requires less effort and time to perform these administrative tasks.

What needs improvement?

I would like the deployment window time to be reduced as it currently requires a minimum of three hours. The automated patch deployment should stick to its own schedule.

The web interface is sometimes confusing and requires improvement, meaning it should be easy to find your way round if you’re looking for a specific option, i.e. adding a new computer object.

Some help files aren’t helpful as they don’t clearly explain the tasks to follow. There should be videos or more scenarios to assist the user.

I've used it for less than a year.

At first it took me some time to understand how to automate the patches, especially the “deployment window time”, other than that everything becomes straightforward once you've spent “some time” learning the process.

None

4/10. Symantec, for instance, has better business support as you can log in for follow ups. It takes time for your call to be answered; you don’t know what your SLA is; you don’t get a quick reply. It’s basically not there yet.

For Windows updates we used WSUS. With MangeEngine it’s so much easier to administer and monitor. We struggled to update 3rd party applications in the past. Software deployment is also not an issue anymore and easily manageable.

I wasn't involved in it.

In-house. My recommendation would be to export all your computer objects, in .csv format for instance, from AD then import into ManageEngine. It would be simple and shorten the amount of time it would’ve taken, otherwise, to manually add each object and subsequently ease the process of deploying the agents to each object.

What other advice do I have?

With Secure USB, the system relies on the Device Instance ID of the USB device to identify and secure it (Allow, Deny). For implementation, my advice would be to “Deny all USB access” in order to allow access to devices only permitted by the organisation when plugged in.

The “Device Instance ID” is a unique, long string, alphanumerical identifier. To allow access to a specific device you’ll need to copy/paste this ID (from Device Manager) into ManageEngine. Let’s say you now have 20 IDs listed, how would you know which ID is for which device, as ManageEngine does not provide such option. I ended up creating a spreadsheet which records such information. That’s quite a convoluted way of doing things.

A USB Device can have multiple “Device Instance Id”: i.e. Digital camera. That means sometimes it becomes a hit and miss to get the device to work.

it_user29061
Director of Consulting at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The ability to automate the reboot time has been critical. The way patches are pushed out and applied can use a little work as it appears the patches are pushed out and just force applied as a group.

What is most valuable?

The automation control over scheduling server patching along with the ability to automate the reboot time has been critical. This process isn't straightforward, but after figuring out the requirements staggering reboots is an easy process to manage.

How has it helped my organization?

The software has provided the ability for us to not only replace SCCM seamlessly, but to train and allow for easy cross training.

What needs improvement?

The way patches are pushed out and applied can use a little work as it appears the patches are pushed out and just force applied as a group, as opposed to a specific registry pattern. Not too often, but this causes servers lockup or fail patching as it halts reboots before other patches can be applied which cannot be applied because the registry is locked from previous patches applied.

This software has been in place coming up on a year now. The flexibility of the software has proven very useful. A small business perspective replacing SCCM with this product has proven both cost effective and an efficient use of our staffs time.

We have had no issues deploying it.

There have been no stability issues.

Overall once we figured out the process structure we really did not have a whole lot of issues. From our client base, and architecture I do not see anything that would hinder scalability based on the way the remote offices are setup within this code.

I would preface this by saying in general the FAQ's are pretty helpful. Overall the support system has been helpful for this specific product, but we have not needed a whole lot of assistance.

We previously used SCCM which is a great enterprise solution if you can keep the administration knowledge on-site. For a small business, SCCM did not meet the ease of use or the price break which was the reasoning for the move to Desktop Manager MSP 9.

The installation of the product itself was very straightforward. The installer was pretty much default settings all the way through and was able to reference FAQ's for the few custom settings we desired.

Implementation was done in-house and for the most part was straightforward. Once the client setup process is done I would suggest babysitting the automated pushes for a couple of weeks. We ran into some weird issues that we were able to resolve fairly quickly and completed the maintenance during our timeframe which otherwise would have just looked like the patching jobs failed completely when they succeeded in reality.

The ROI switching to this product was noticeable after it had been around six months as we were able to retire our SCCM product along with the licensing that comes with using SQL.

What other advice do I have?

I like the ease of setup and administration. There are some minor annoyances with how often the server software needs patched, how patching is applied and how the terminologies are translated.

Keep an eye on the automated reporting that is generated. We have not fully invested the time to discover why we have inconsistencies with the data, but it appears to be happening.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We currently only have a business relationship with the Vendor. We do carry other products with them which seems to have the consistent look and feel the Desktop Central product has.
Lead IT Infrastructure Specialist at Tunstall Healthcare
The features that give us the most value are patch management, remote control, and configuration management.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We used to use Windows Server Update Services, but had difficulty getting reports that gave an accurate picture of the patch situation across the estate.

Desktop Central allows both Microsoft and third-party patching while giving precise reporting and dashboards, enabling us to catch problem computers easily, as well as show the company that we are keeping their IT infrastructure safe.

What needs improvement?

The ability to backup and restore or move user profiles to another PC would be a fantastic addition to the feature set.

We have used this solution for five years now.

We've had no issues with scalability.

I have found customer service to be very responsive. I have had a couple of issues over the years and on one occasion logged a ticket on the ManageEngine support site and had a call back within 15 minutes. The support rep took control of the server and fixed the issue within 10 minutes.

They are also very responsive as far as feature requests are concerned. I have in the past requested features and have had at least some of them make it into the product.

We used Altiris for our service desk, as well as systems management, before it became Symantec. It was a very good but expensive solution.

I was tasked with finding a replacement for the cost of the maintenance of Altiris. I did that with the combination of ServiceDesk Plus, Desktop Central and OS Deployer.

Installation and initial configuration is very easy, taking less than an hour to have a fully-working system on a network of 700+ computers. Obviously, it takes more time to fine tune the solution to your exact needs, but you can have an installation ready and auditing your estate in no time at all. I would say that any reasonably competent IT person can set this up with no outside help. The installation was very easy and required no help from any outside company including ManageEngine.

I did it by myself in-house.

Not sure if it is the case now, but they used to say 80% of the features of the big players for 20% of the cost. I think that they may be overlooked because of the price, but download it and take a look. You will be very surprised.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a go. If you are a small business of less than 25 users, it is free. For larger companies, it is a very reasonably priced solution. It is feature rich and the list of features is growing rapidly. Depending on the version you have, new features are free of charge. Some features are only in Enterprise and not in Pro.

Product Manager - IT Management Solutions at a reseller with 11-50 employees
Integrator
The most valuable features are Patch Management, SW Distribution, Asset Management and Mobile Device Management​.

What is most valuable?

It has several features that I've found valuable, but the most valuable are Patch Management, SW Distribution, Asset Management and Mobile Device Management.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see Patch Management for Linux Systems, which it doesn't have right now and which we could really use.

I've used it for eight years.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: ManageEngine offers a great customer support…

What needs improvement?

I've used it for eight years.

We've had no issues with scalability.

ManageEngine offers a great customer support in the pre-sale phase and even after the sale.

Technical and after-sale support is great.

Yes, before we used Microsoft SCCM, and we’ve switched to Desktop Central for its minor cost and its simple usage and deployment.

The initial setup was straightforward and very user friendly.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're distributors for the Italian market.
it_user365175
Network Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​It has allowed us to deploy laptops to users and not worry about patching Microsoft applications. I'd like to see some enhancements on what parameters you can use to push an application.​

What is most valuable?

• Patch Management
  • Inventory

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to deploy laptops to users and not worry about patching Microsoft and third-party applications.

What needs improvement?

The web interface could use some polishing. I would also like to see some enhancements on what parameters you can use to push an application.

I have been using the product for over five years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with scalability. One of the reasons that we went with Desktop Central is the small footprint.

Very happy with tech support but would like to see someone there on the weekends.

We used Novell's ZENWorks 10 and 11. We chose it based on it's small footprint and the features such as 3rd party patch management

Very easy to implement. A few clicks and you are done.

I did it myself for 300 workstations as you can leverage the program to install via Active Directory credentials.

The ROI was three months for us.

The ROI was three months for us.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that updates are once a month. They usually take about 30 minutes to perform.

it_user363618
Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It improves our organization's efficiency because we're now able to install software quickly rather than manually touching each machine.

What is most valuable?

Software distribution is the most valuable feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The remote desktop piece has started to fail and we have numerous disconnects while remote logging into a PC. Thought getting rid of the Java piece would help, but it hasn’t.

We haven't encountered any issues with deployment.

There have been no instances of instability.

It's been scalable for us.

3/10 - They have messed up our licensing the last three times we needed to purchase additional licenses. Also, they are difficult to understand.

We used Altiris, but they did not support Windows 7.

The initial set-up was very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We were quite rushed to find a product to replace Altiris and this seemed to be the best choice at the time for remote desktop administration and software distribution. When it works, it works well, but their technical support area needs improving.

it_user363621
System Engineer at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
This software gives good insight of all the running applications, especially those that were not installed through DC9 or manually by an admin.

What is most valuable?

The functionality most valuable to us is the distribution of our software packages to all workstations. We also like the automatic asset management function which allows us the ability to retrieve and configure all necessary CI reports for auditing issues, for example.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Often I had issues with user configurations. An additional check should be built that, before installing software through a user config, the software checks if an application has already been installed on the workstation or not. Especially because of roaming profiles and workplaces nowadays, this becomes a “must-have” option.

I've used it for approximately one year.

9/10

Before DC9 I used Scense (Dutch-programmed software distribution tool) which was only good for distribution of software, mostly through scripted applications. DC9 was very much more intuitive, flexible and clear.

Just click and install.

Just downloaded from manageengine.com and implemented and configured myself. Read an overview of this software beforehand so you know how you want and/or need to configure the software.

What other advice do I have?

DC9 is a simple, cheap and complete software distribution tool, also to configure all necessary options to control all kinds of OS options on the workstations like in Microsoft Group Policy Editor.

System engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

I value the remote deployment solution the most as that functionality is used daily. However, other parts of the software like patch management, inventory and client/user configurations are also highly regarded.

How has it helped my organization?

It changed the entire flow of my department, though it is not a large department ranging from 55 to 75 users and about 130 clients (which includes lab and student PCs). I was able to save one full time employee and, thus, the software allowed me to present a serious cost reduction to the department staff.

What needs improvement?

I would love to have the self-service portal which is now present in the Enterprise edition to be deployed to the users of the Professional edition as well.

I implemented Desktop Central in spring 2009 and have used it ever since.

The response from the technical support staff was great whenever I needed it. They are also open to suggestions from the community and now and then implement ideas offered by the community.

We previously had a full time employee running around to install software when demanded.

It's straightforward. Between setup, testing and deployment of my first software package there was half a day. Since I have been running Desktop Central for six years. People looking for an easy management tool without steep learning curve like MS System Center should definitely have a look at Desktop Central.

We deployed in-house and have no additional remarks about implementation.

We have saved one full time employee.

We get Academic licensing which is not representative for the majority of users.

it_user358275
Technology Services Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Patch management is now a more streamlined and automated process with the use of deployment schedules.

Valuable Features:

• Patch Management
  • Software Licensing
  • Asset Management
  • Reporting
  • Mobile Device Management
  • Remote Control

Improvements to My Organization:

Patch management was being done manually and as a result many workstations and servers were lacking current critical/important security updates and OS fixes. With the implementation of Desktop Central's patch management functionality, it is now a more streamlined and automated process with the use of deployment schedules aligned with Patch Tuesday from Microsoft. In three months over 1000 critical/important updates were applied to over 1500 workstations/servers using this tool.

Room for Improvement:

It would be helpful to add image management to this tool.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues deploying it.

Stability Issues:

There have been no instability issues.

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled just fine.

Other Advice:

Don't use it with Internet Explorer, as it's glitchy. Chrome or FireFox work best.

User Support Specialist at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to deploy software remotely and silently without interfering with users' work. However, they do need to improve their software QA and testing before releasing a new patch.

What is most valuable?

• Software Deployment
  • Patch Management

How has it helped my organization?

We are a three-man team serving thousands of employees worldwide. Managing systems remotely is a tedious task, but thanks to this product we are able to deploy software remotely and silently without interfering with users' work.

What needs improvement?

Overall, I am happy with the features. However, they do need to improve their software QA and testing before releasing a new patch. It can take months before they can resolve an issue.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

The response time is great, but it takes time for them to resolve an issue.

I haven't used any solution previously.

It was already implemented when I joined my current company.

What other advice do I have?

Do ask for demonstration first, but overall this product is worth the money and continuous improvement is noticeable.