ManageEngine OpManager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine OpManager is the #18 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to SolarWinds NPM: ManageEngine OpManager vs SolarWinds NPM

What is ManageEngine OpManager?

ManageEngine OpManager is a network, server, and virtualization monitoring software that helps SMEs, large enterprises and service providers manage their data centers and IT infrastructure efficiently and cost effectively. Automated workflows, intelligent alerting engines, configurable discovery rules, and extendable templates enable IT teams to setup a 24x7 monitoring system within hours of installation.

ManageEngine OpManager is also known as OpManager.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ManageEngine OpManager Customers

Bonita, Thorp Reed & Armstrong, Galaxy, Fiserv Credit Union Division, Universitas 21 Global, ERP Suites LLC

ManageEngine OpManager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ManageEngine OpManager pricing:
  • "The initial cost is low and the add-ons are reasonable."

ManageEngine OpManager Reviews

IA
Network Engineer at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
This product discovers unusual behaviors and alerts the IT so problems are avoided

• "This is a good general monitoring system that has all the features we require and they constantly update with new capabilities."
  • "This product is little bit slow sometimes. It may be that we need to change the configuration to improve performance."

What is our primary use case?

OpManager monitors the uptime and the performance of the network, servers, and applications. Additionally, it monitors the condition of the RAM, the CPU, and memory. It also monitors any inbound applications. We get notifications of any downloads or devices making unauthorized requests. It runs the processes on both sides. If it finds something we get an alert. It will tell us what the problem is and give us directions as to how to fix it.

What is most valuable?

Overall the environment is good. You can deploy it in an area of your network to evaluate risk. It can assess any unusual changes in what is going on. It is difficult to prevent IT intrusions. So if you use OpManager, it will make discoveries of unusual behaviors and give you reports. With that information, you can configure the IT to avoid those behaviors and you can avoid the potential issues.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of that might be improved is that it is just a heavy software. When we start it up with the archiving software, we sometimes experience some lag. The access on the console is a little bit slow. It might be that we need to improve our configuration to be sure it is correct. If we improve the way we work with it and make it a lighter load on the software, that may be a solution. Performance needs to be our crowning star. This product is little bit slow sometimes.

If we improve the RAM, then maybe the performance will improve. It could be something that simple.

We have been using OpManager for between seven and eight years.

It is stable. That is part of the reason why we are using it for a long time. That is a definite fact.

This product is used by the IT personnel. So it is the IT manager's domain, I suppose. Other users are not using this. Expanding the user base is not really necessary or likely.

It may have some limitations in monitoring the network if it is extremely large. We have not experienced this. If there are performance issues the equipment may need an upgrade. This is a load issue and it is not the fault of the application.

The support for the product is very good. They provided us the link for the product, we started the Windows server, they started the EFT (Electronic File Transfer). When we had downloaded the software, it started itself.

If any support is required, then they give us the support we need. They respond as declared within our agreement within a four-hour window. I can depend on the response time of the support team.

The maintenance is not required because hardware maintenance is not what we take care of. If the software reports that anything goes wrong and we not at all to understand the result, then we need to investigate and then fix that. This is our responsibility.

So my general opinion is that the support is very good.

In the initial setup, it is very easy to deploy. It supports SMB (Server Message Block) and WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) protocol. So with SMB and WMI, it can support multiple platforms like Linux and Windows and Cisco devices.

Considering the pricing, OpManager is actually one of the cheaper solutions in this category. When a new subscription is required for something additional like support and we add the required license, they charge a very little. So the initial cost is low and the add-ons are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this product meets all our requirements, whatever our requirements are. I expect the product to perform as promised and use all the features that I need. It monitors the services, uptime, downtime, and that general requirement is met.

I think I have no real implementation requirements. They are also constantly improving by resolving some bugs and they also add some additional features. For example, now if we want to monitor file integrity and IT management, we can do that.

They also provide all services through the same console. If you want to, you can get other functionality through OpManager add-ons. If you want a service, you just buy the subscription and use the add-ons and monitor the multiple services in a single console.

There is firewall monitoring, network monitoring, application monitoring, and network configuration is also provided. For some things, an additional license is required.

If you had seen the previous versions, it is obvious that they have improved. So as of now, we do not need to ask for any requirements to be fulfilled. The IT person really only needs the alerts and designation as medium, critical, or high priority. This tool does that and it is a good monitoring solution.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would have to rate it a nine. They get a good rating because of the support and the features. Whatever they communicate, they provide.

WS
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The fact that we can schedule reports enables us to have fewer spreadsheets to create

• "You can put all of your work on there, they'll send you an email or send you a text. That functionality as a network engineer is the one I like the most. I do like the fact that we can schedule reports. That works too because that's a lot fewer spreadsheets that I have to create."
  • "OpManager is slow but that just might be the server we have it on. I don't think that's the problem but I don't do the server. But it is slow. When you're interacting with it, it could be more nimble and could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

My personal use case is for network management, traffic flow, am any kind of alerts. Anything you can think of, you can program through OpManager or anything on the network you can think of, you can program through OpManager. We run monthly and weekly reports and all of those are programmed and then in a week or a month, it's in your inbox. Your CIF log scan goes through it all.

What is most valuable?

You can put all of your work on there and they'll send you an email or send you a text. That functionality as a network engineer is the one I like the most. I do like the fact that we can schedule reports. That works too because that's a lot fewer spreadsheets that I have to create.

What needs improvement?

OpManager is slow but that just might be the server we have it on. I don't think that's the problem but I don't do the server. But it is slow. When you're interacting with it, it could be more nimble and could be faster.

The UI is fine, it's just a little sluggish. But once it's up and running, it's good.

I have been using OpManager for four years.

We don't have problems with stability.

It might be slow but it's stable. No problem there either. That's not something that should stop anybody from buying it. My preference would be to speed it up, but there's probably a reason why it's not as fast as I would like it.

I've only had to deal with support once or twice and I've never had a problem. My colleague handles it a little bit more than I do, and I've never heard him gripe about it.

I didn't set them up but from what I know about it, it's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. I wasn't part of the decision or part of the team at the time that they chose it but it definitely does what we need it for. It has more functionality than what we use it for, so I think it's overall a good solution. The only gripe I have is like everybody else, I would want it to be faster. That's the only issue I have.

I would rate OpManager a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about ManageEngine, SolarWinds, Paessler AG and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fredrick-Massawe
System Administrator at Bakhresa Group of companies
Good application monitoring, easy to set up and very good scalability

• "The application monitoring is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "The licensing model is confusing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to monitor our servers.

What is most valuable?

The application monitoring is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model is confusing.

For example, when we add a storage device on the OpManager, we don't know how it is calculating those which are added into the server. It's unclear how is it calculating the licensing model for the storage portion.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

The solution is fairly stable. Only when you are opening another tab to see the live monitoring will you experience a bit of hanging. It will respond, so I am assuming the lag is because of the resources which are allocated for that particular server.

The solution is scalable. You just need the correct licensing. You can get a license for features such as Hyper-V, VMware, etc. We've been satisfied with the level of scalability we've achieved.

I have not found any difficulty in using the app, so I don't know how the technical quality is on their support. We haven't opened a ticket with technical support yet, but we're unsure of the process and if we have to open a ticket at the support level or not. They could make their services and processes more clear for getting assistance when customers need it.

Our company has tried a variety of solutions but not in any significant manner.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment takes about half an hour. I had to do a lot of research, but once I realized how everything worked, it was very quick. You only need one person to handle deployment.

I handled the implementation myself.

Before choosing the solution, I did look at other solutions. Some had complicated setups or licensing models. This solution is very easy because the pricing was not that high and the set up wasn't complicated. It was very good for our environment.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Sachin Nagpal
Project Manager at NIIT Limited
Refined alerts to help monitor devices effectively but it is sometimes difficult to manage the user interface

• "The alerting feature has improved our organization. We can create multiple alerts and refine them to how we need to use them."
  • "It is sometimes difficult to manage the user interface. It can get very complicated."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we are using ManageEngine OpManager for network monitoring. We also use it for server and application monitoring. We monitor parameters of servers like CPU, RAM, and hard disk.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We have found that the alerting in OpManaager is the most valuable. It alerts on CPU or if the server goes down.

What needs improvement?

It is sometimes difficult to manage the user interface. It can get very complicated. They could make it easier to use. There should also be some better backup and recovery tools for the devices that you monitor.

We have been using ManageEngine OpManager for three years.

The stability of OpManager is very nice and good in network monitoring, and it provides all the particular functionality that we need.

The scalability of OpManager is very good.

We have not needed the technical support but we know it is there if we need it.

The initial setup was very simple. The deployment takes two to three days.

The initial setup was done in-house by our team. We started with a few people who added devices and then eventually we had other admins add there devices.

What other advice do I have?

Choose the modules that you would need in your organization because they have other modules like Application Manager that we are not using currently.

Jose Antonio Rivera Mora
IT Project Office Manager at Grupo Lala
Easy to use, easy to deploy, and good support

• "It is easy to use and deploy."
  • "We have been facing an issue since last year when a lot of our users started to work from home through their mobiles or computers. We are having trouble reaching these devices. We are now planning to publish our instance to the cloud so that we can reach these devices. Its performance should be improved in terms of the discovery of the devices. I would like to feel confident with the discovery that this solution does. For example, on my dashboard, I would like to be able to view a list of all devices seen on a specific server. At present, it is difficult to find such information. This would be an excellent feature to have."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for Windows operating systems.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and deploy.

What needs improvement?

We have been facing an issue since last year when a lot of our users started to work from home through their mobiles or computers. We are having trouble reaching these devices. We are now planning to publish our instance to the cloud so that we can reach these devices.

Its performance should be improved in terms of the discovery of the devices. I would like to feel confident with the discovery that this solution does. For example, on my dashboard, I would like to be able to view a list of all devices seen on a specific server. At present, it is difficult to find such information. This would be an excellent feature to have.

We have been using this solution for around 18 months.

I don't have direct access to their technical support. However, I am aware of some of the tickets that our clients have raised, and they seem to provide information in an easy way. Their technical support is good.

I was not a part of the deployment process, but based on what I know, it was easy to deploy.

We had evaluated other products, and we decided to go for OpManager because of its ease of use and cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I feel comfortable working with it.

I would rate ManageEngine OpManager a nine out of ten.

TM
CIO at a venture capital & private equity firm with 11-50 employees
A straightforward setup that's easy to manage and quick to deploy

• "The solution is easy to deploy. It's also easy to manage and monitor the environment. Instead of being reactive, it's proactive."
  • "The solution is a bit difficult to configure. There are quite a number of configurations and plugins that you must handle early in the process."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring, managing our active directory and to deploy patch management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The support offered after deployment needs improvement.

The solution is a bit difficult to configure. There are quite a number of configurations and plugins that you must handle early in the process.

The solution should offer richer reporting and more dashboards.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Technical support isn't the best. We're in South Africa, and most of the support team is in the US or the UK.

We also use SolarWinds. We use many similar products, not just ManageEngine.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment takes less than two days. For maintenance, you need to have a proactive type of arrangement.

I handled the deployment myself.

You just have to pay for licensing; there aren't any costs over and above that.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We have about four people using the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Network Monitoring Software
Download our free Network Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about ManageEngine, SolarWinds, Paessler AG, and more!