ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Overview

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to JIRA Service Desk: ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus vs JIRA Service Desk

What is ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus?

ServiceDesk Plus is comprehensive help desk software with integrated asset and project management capabilities built on ITIL framework. ServiceDesk Plus is trusted by more than 100,000 organizations across 186 countries and is available in 29 different languages. With ServiceDesk Plus, IT organizations can leverage ITIL processes while unifying their help desk, asset management and project management activities in a single pane of glass.

It is fully integrated and easy to set up - without extensive customization or integrations. It has rich automation that helps eliminate pesky manual processes for quicker ticket resolution and higher end user satisfaction.

Features

ServiceDesk Plus comes with a great balance of features to suit your business needs. The features available are listed below.

Incident management: Gain control of your help desk

With incident management you can pin incidents to the right technicians to ensure accountability and automate ticket workflows with automatic ticket dispatch, business rules, escalation, service level agreement, notification rules or alerts, preventive maintenance for timely ticket resolution. In other words, you can manage the entire lifecycle of an incident!

Problem management: Go beyond firefighting

Problem management helps you analyze the root cause and reduce recurring incidents in your IT, raise a new problem from within an incident, link related incidents to a problem and close them all at once! Further, you can provide temporary workarounds till you find a permanent fix to the problem.

Change management: Manage changes with precision

Manage your changes with precision. Streamline planning with roll out and back out plans, take informed decisions in the assessment, prioritization, and scheduling of changes with inputs from the Change Advisory Board (CAB), automated workflows to ensure that there are no more unauthorized or failed changes.

Asset management: Track and manage assets with ease

Discover, track, and manage your IT hardware and software assets in one place. Optimize asset utilization, avoid vulnerabilities, and ensure license compliance.

IT project management: Deliver IT projects on time

You can now manage multiple IT projects and requirements, plan releases, track progress, collaborate with team, and measure results, or in other words, manage all your IT projects efficiently. Break a full-blown project into milestones and tasks, set roles and provide access permissions, track the utilization of your resources, monitor the overall progress of your IT projects using colored Gantt charts, and do more to steer your IT projects to success!

Purchases and contracts management: Track IT purchases and contracts

Automate your supplier interactions and IT purchasing functions with full traceability and visibility, maintain master records for various vendors and track purchases from ordering to receipt and invoicing, reduce delays and cut unnecessary spending, track IT hardware and software contracts to improve compliance, associate assets and get proactively notified of contract expiry.

Self service portal: Deflect tickets from your service desk

Help users solve repeat incidents using a knowledge base and deflect tickets from your service desk, keep end users informed on ticket progress/approvals through automated notifications or make company-wide announcements of any outage or unplanned maintenance, auto suggest solutions during ticket creation and provide easy templates to create tickets.

Service catalog: Showcase your IT services

Showcase the offered IT services to your end user and give a new face to your IT. You can customize your workflow of delivering the service request specific to each service category. You can also setup approval process and service level agreements for each service request.

CMDB: Get the bigger picture

ServiceDesk Plus CMDB ensures effortless management of your entire IT infrastructure. Track and manage all configuration items and map their relationships and dependencies. Visually analyze the impact of changes and outages for informed decision-making.

Service level agreement: Ensure timely service delivery

Create SLAs and provide quality services on time to your end users. With the intuitive SLA management in ServiceDesk Plus, escalate proactively to four levels of hierarchy to ensure that your SLAs are met.

Reports: Derive decisions with the right data

Generate over 150+ inbuilt reports, custom reports, query reports and flash reports pertaining to various service desk modules like requests, problems, changes, assets, surveys, contracts, and purchase. Use real time dashboards to accurately reflect health of the service desk, create relevant custom reports and add them to your dashboard and take strategic decisions based on the current trend of your help desk performance!

Extensions and integrations: Collaborate easily with other IT systems

Enjoy tight integration with software that monitors and manages your networks, applications, desktops, and Active Directory. Get what you always wanted - 360 degree visibility of your IT!

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Customers

Tranter IT Infrastructure Services Limited, Sterlite Technologies, averda, Radiology Associates

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus pricing:
  • "For our 500 assets that are using the professional version of the solution, we pay somewhere between $4,000 and $5,000 per year."
  • "Its price is very lucrative. It would be great if the price can come down, but overall, its price is great. It is half or maybe one-third of the price of other market leaders."
  • "For 90 service agents and our need for a cloud solution with incident management and service request management, it annually costs around 12,000. If you need additional development or deployment support from the vendor, there might be an additional cost."
  • "The only issue for us is the pricing, which is quite high in comparison with the competition."

DK
Deena Khattab
MIS Manager at MGM
Aug 21, 2019
A great ticketing solution that offers excellent reporting and responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for asset management and for ticketing. We use it as a support solution.

• "When somebody wants to follow up with a problem from the past, the solution makes it easy. It keeps everything in one system and updated."
  • "We should be able to monitor the performance of assets, not only documents. For example, printers. We should be able to monitor ink levels and get notifications when the ink is low. In another operation manager I use, they send me a notification when the device is off, or has something to perform."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those adopting the solution document their configuration because it makes it easier. I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten. With a simpler configuration, I would rate it a bit higher.
Opoku Afriyie-Asante
Data Analyst/Software Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 19, 2020
Easy to configure SLAs and generate reports

What is our primary use case?

We have an application that we support. Any challenge that we find in the application we report in ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus and then we get it resolved by escalating to the vendor where necessary (The vendor manages the system infrastructure.)

• "ManageEngine is flexible and user friendly. Creating a ticket is quite easy. So is configuring SLA's and generating reports. It is straightforward to use."
  • "Compared to other ITSM tools, ServiceDesk will have to step up their knowledge base tools. If they could make it open enough to be integrated with other applications or other systems it would be very useful."

What other advice do I have?

Because I haven't been fortunate to see the upgrades of ManageEngine, I can only speak to what I already know, and that is, if there is any ITSM tool that I would want to use for any IT company I would definitely recommend ManageEngine, but that is what I'm used to. Even though I haven't been able to test other products and I've used a very old version of ManageEngine, I still think it met our requirements and that it has everything that we need to work as an IT department. I'd definitely recommend ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. On a scale of one to ten, I would give ManageEngine ServiceDesk…
Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
475,705 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anand Khandelwal
Global Service Delivery Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 15, 2020
Easy to use, good integration, and great support

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for logging all the cases. We use it to track all the efforts, ensure that all requirements are met, tickets are recorded, and the work is being done by the respective teams.

• "Overall, its integration is good. There is a lot of integration that we have done. All alerts are coming to ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. Its VIP feature is also very useful where you can specify who are our VIPs. When the service desk engineer picks up the call and gets the name, he or she knows that the person is a VIP and treats him or her accordingly. It also has a mobile interface. Anybody can use the app to log cases. It is easy for the end users as well as for the approving party. For the workflow, it is easier for senior managers to give approvals through the mobile interface."
  • "It is sometimes a bit slow. If it can have a quicker response time, it would be good for users, service desk engineers, and technicians. For service requests, they don't have an SLA for each priority. For a service request, the SLA of response or resolution is only one irrespective of the priority. SLA should be different for each priority. For a ticket, there is no response SLA for the service request. For resolution SLA, that is, P1, P2, P3, or whatever you define, you still have the same SLA. It should be different."

What other advice do I have?

I would very much recommend this solution. Everybody can go for it. It is a very easy tool. It is easy for the technicians as well as for end users. It is the best solution. I would rate ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus a nine out of ten because there is still room for improvement.
Munir Noor
System Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Nov 21, 2020
Friendly interface and easy to use, but needs better reporting and change management

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and we have been dealing with all versions of this product. We have seen its development from the beginning when it was a plain ticketing solution. We have tried all the flavors of ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus, and we have on-premises and cloud deployments of this solution.

• "Referring to its on-premises deployment, it is easy to use and easy to deploy. Cloud deployment is done on its own. It is very easy to navigate, and the GUI is quite friendly. In terms of product functionality, we really like the ESL version. We can host multiple instances of services on a single server, such as one help desk and multiple instances."
  • "Its reporting can be improved. It can have better analytics reports. Even though they provide integration with another tool called Analytics Plus to get those reports, it would be quite helpful to have them on the fly and out of the box. A lot of improvement is required in change management and release management. Their change management module is quite simple, and they need to do a lot of work on the change management module. The release management is out only on the cloud. It is not available in on-premises deployments. In the next release, I would like it to have effective project management. They do provide the project management and contracts management modules, but these modules need a bit of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend customers to go with ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. However, it depends upon the end-user requirement. If the requirement is for more graphic designing or customized dashboards, or they want to build a big customized login screen GUI, it might not be the solution. If the requirement is focused on ideal processes, like a ticketing solution, they can go with Service Desk Plus. I would rate ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus a seven out of ten.
Mykola Shved
Head of Global IT Delivery at Acino Pharma AG
Apr 13, 2021
Offers a complete set of features and allows us to set up different service functions in the same platform

What is our primary use case?

I have only used its demo version for evaluation. We haven't yet implemented it. I have been playing with ServiceDesk Plus for incident management, service request management, and some change request workflows. There is also a CMDB, which seems to be quite good.

• "CMDB as a baseline, incident management, service request management, and license management are valuable features. It offers really interesting features for complete use in an enterprise. You have one platform, and you could set up different service functions for HR, engineering, or another team in the same platform."
  • "Its reporting could be improved. The current list of predefined reports seems to be fine for most of the customers, but there should be some tools to allow us to create highly customized reports for measuring different KPIs. We should also be able to connect some kind of BI to it. We haven't yet implemented it, and we are currently evaluating it. We are looking for advanced integration options where we could integrate it with our SCCM and Azure environments as well as with other Office solutions. For direct communication with customers, we are looking for a chatbot or a similar feature."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus an eight out of ten.
ManishRajora
Project Engineer at I.T Solutions India Pvt Ltd
Oct 6, 2020
Offers extensive visibility, has a good database of assets, and integrates well with other solutions

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we use this solution on a daily basis as an administration application for reporting, where you can assign incident tickets or trade tickets and the relevant department uses it for follow up on problems or changes that have occurred. I use it to create reports that show our teams where the issues are, what's going well, and what can be improved. My colleagues use it from a workflow perspective. We have different organizations with a centralized help desk that will lock calls into groups of 20 or 30 people. We have a team that builds and customizes it and then we have all kinds… more »

• "The solution offers a lot of opportunities for integrations."
  • "The timing reporting module, and how it's used is a bit difficult to understand."
MW
reviewer1460481
Quality Management at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Dec 2, 2020
User-friendly and stable but a bit expensive

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for service request management.

• "The product is extremely user-friendly. It is easy to build the workflows and electronic forms."
  • "The solution, overall, is expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're customers. We don't have a business relationship with Manage Engine. We use the latest version of the solution. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, I would rate the solution a six out of ten. If the pricing and reporting were better, I would rate it a bit higher.
WA
reviewer1513071
Solution Integrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Feb 26, 2021
Good technical support with good scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

As a reseller and integrator, I help clients implement this solution.

• "The solution overall has been quite stable."
  • "I'd like to understand more technical features due to the fact that I want to teach globally. I understand all the questions in the search engine. I want to find more technical information about the product."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller and a solution integrator. I do plan to continue to use this solution. For others considering this solution, I would advise them to look for tools that are easy to use and implement. It's a good idea to do a POC so you can try things out, and make some mistakes, and learn a bit about what is being implemented before taking anything live. In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
See 3 more ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Reviews
Download our free ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.