ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Overview

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus vs ServiceNow

What is ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus?

ServiceDesk Plus is comprehensive help desk software with integrated asset and project management capabilities built on ITIL framework. ServiceDesk Plus is trusted by more than 100,000 organizations across 186 countries and is available in 29 different languages. With ServiceDesk Plus, IT organizations can leverage ITIL processes while unifying their help desk, asset management and project management activities in a single pane of glass.

It is fully integrated and easy to set up - without extensive customization or integrations. It has rich automation that helps eliminate pesky manual processes for quicker ticket resolution and higher end user satisfaction.

Features

ServiceDesk Plus comes with a great balance of features to suit your business needs. The features available are listed below.

Incident management: Gain control of your help desk

With incident management you can pin incidents to the right technicians to ensure accountability and automate ticket workflows with automatic ticket dispatch, business rules, escalation, service level agreement, notification rules or alerts, preventive maintenance for timely ticket resolution. In other words, you can manage the entire lifecycle of an incident!

Problem management: Go beyond firefighting

Problem management helps you analyze the root cause and reduce recurring incidents in your IT, raise a new problem from within an incident, link related incidents to a problem and close them all at once! Further, you can provide temporary workarounds till you find a permanent fix to the problem.

Change management: Manage changes with precision

Manage your changes with precision. Streamline planning with roll out and back out plans, take informed decisions in the assessment, prioritization, and scheduling of changes with inputs from the Change Advisory Board (CAB), automated workflows to ensure that there are no more unauthorized or failed changes.

Asset management: Track and manage assets with ease

Discover, track, and manage your IT hardware and software assets in one place. Optimize asset utilization, avoid vulnerabilities, and ensure license compliance.

IT project management: Deliver IT projects on time

You can now manage multiple IT projects and requirements, plan releases, track progress, collaborate with team, and measure results, or in other words, manage all your IT projects efficiently. Break a full-blown project into milestones and tasks, set roles and provide access permissions, track the utilization of your resources, monitor the overall progress of your IT projects using colored Gantt charts, and do more to steer your IT projects to success!

Purchases and contracts management: Track IT purchases and contracts

Automate your supplier interactions and IT purchasing functions with full traceability and visibility, maintain master records for various vendors and track purchases from ordering to receipt and invoicing, reduce delays and cut unnecessary spending, track IT hardware and software contracts to improve compliance, associate assets and get proactively notified of contract expiry.

Self service portal: Deflect tickets from your service desk

Help users solve repeat incidents using a knowledge base and deflect tickets from your service desk, keep end users informed on ticket progress/approvals through automated notifications or make company-wide announcements of any outage or unplanned maintenance, auto suggest solutions during ticket creation and provide easy templates to create tickets.

Service catalog: Showcase your IT services

Showcase the offered IT services to your end user and give a new face to your IT. You can customize your workflow of delivering the service request specific to each service category. You can also setup approval process and service level agreements for each service request.

CMDB: Get the bigger picture

ServiceDesk Plus CMDB ensures effortless management of your entire IT infrastructure. Track and manage all configuration items and map their relationships and dependencies. Visually analyze the impact of changes and outages for informed decision-making.

Service level agreement: Ensure timely service delivery

Create SLAs and provide quality services on time to your end users. With the intuitive SLA management in ServiceDesk Plus, escalate proactively to four levels of hierarchy to ensure that your SLAs are met.

Reports: Derive decisions with the right data

Generate over 150+ inbuilt reports, custom reports, query reports and flash reports pertaining to various service desk modules like requests, problems, changes, assets, surveys, contracts, and purchase. Use real time dashboards to accurately reflect health of the service desk, create relevant custom reports and add them to your dashboard and take strategic decisions based on the current trend of your help desk performance!

Extensions and integrations: Collaborate easily with other IT systems

Enjoy tight integration with software that monitors and manages your networks, applications, desktops, and Active Directory. Get what you always wanted - 360 degree visibility of your IT!

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Customers

Tranter IT Infrastructure Services Limited, Sterlite Technologies, averda, Radiology Associates

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IT Engineer at arkas egypt
A Valuable Customer Service Managment Solution for Companies of Scale

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is to service our internal employees with in our company. We're continually optimizing this solution.

• "This solution has helped a lot by freeing up valuable time allowing the IT personnel to work on other more critical areas, key projects, and perform their fundamental job requirements on time without interruption."
  • "When I think of improvements the first thing that comes to mind would have to be the active management function. I have encountered some bugs with this aspect of the tool. I wouldn't necessarily identify these issues as bugs, they're more like processes issues associated with the scanning assets; the process could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a solid 7.5 out of ten since the tool comes with different modules. Albeit some of these modules, including exit management module, need some improvements. But regarding the ticketing as a stand-alone, it's pretty good. But the other modules need improvement. I recommend this tool for anyone thinking of implementing enterprise IT management software for their service management, operations management, active directory, and security needs. The tool offers the ability to manage different employee groups along with the option of providing other services for different company…
General Manager at Qwikcilver
Ticket auto-routing improves our efficiency, but this solution lacks custom reporting

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is providing technical support for our platform. This solution allows us to create the support tickets and forward them to different technical groups for resolution.

• "The auto-routing feature saves a lot of effort, where we used to spend a lot of time manually assigning things."
  • "I would also like to see better integration with external software. It is possible, but it is tough. The APIs are not very flexible, so you really have to write a lot of code to create that integration. Opening it up for external integration would allow for easier customization of the existing autobox workflows. It would help with the user's perception."

What other advice do I have?

This is a cost-effective product that meets all of the required, basic needs for the company. The workflow for the ticketing system and the service management systems work well. Apart from that, more customizable workflows, better integration, increased robustness of the knowledge base, and more flexible integration gateways would improve the product. I would rate this solution six out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
We improve day by day with this solution, we have seen significantly improved performance

What is our primary use case?

We have a toll free number for our company, customers call us and ask about their problem. We issue the ticket to the customer as well as our local internal team. Then after the team tickets the number and the particular client coded up. We resolve the issue and after the issue is resolved we close the ticket. This is our main mode of operation. When we go through the audit, the company requires that all of these tickets require the solution. That's why we use this application. Mainly for auditing purposes for this application.

• "The most valuable features are project management, change management, and the flow according to the mail chain."
  • "They could improve the screens."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
PK
Team Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good report features but lags in configuration

What is most valuable?

I am enjoying the report features, they are quite good.

What needs improvement?

I expected more features than it has. The flexibility is missing. I was also expecting a different level of configuration and segregation.

Three to five years.

Stability is actually good.

It is scalable, but sometimes there are performance issues.

Technical support is quite good but they are not very quick to respond. It takes time to resolve the ticket.

I was not involved personally with the initial setup but from what I hear, it is not complex.…
Director at Daya Cipta Mandiri Solusi, PT
Manages all our requests, both internal and external requests, for not only ticketing but users' requests

What is our primary use case?

ServiceDesk Plus is good to support internal IT help desk systems, external customer support systems, and request management within the company.

• "We not only handle tickets, but also requests from many departments. All are easy to manage."
  • "ServiceDesk Plus manages all our requests, both internal and external requests, for not only ticketing but users' requests."
  • "For ITIL functions, it should be more complex, including financial functions. We are expecting it to be easier for customization within workflows and templates."
Director at Daya Cipta Mandiri Solusi, PT
The initial setup is very simple

What is our primary use case?

We install and implement ServiceDesk Plus for various industries, starting from common enterprises up to IT companies running data center services. They are happy to use SDP, even the standard version, with Service Catalog add-ons.

• "Service Catalog and Project Management are awesome features. Customers love them because they are easy to use and simple to install."
  • "The product needs to allow for implementation for other departments besides the IT help desk."
Senior ICT Consultant
Using this solution, we have had a positive experience to integrate ICT project management to our IT business reality.

What other advice do I have?

Give them the chance to implement a demo and put in a short practice and you will see how easy and effective the solution is.
National IT Support Head at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Supports process-related IT requests from users and operational management of the IT infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared with your processes first, then implement the product.
Senior ICT Consultant
Integrates ICT project management to our IT business.

What other advice do I have?

Give them the chance to implement a demo and put in a short amount of time for practice to see how easy and effective the solution is.
IT Director at DAAR
Automates, integrates, monitors, and measures performance of IT assets and resources.

What other advice do I have?

Go through the features and functionalities offered in this product. Prepare a roadmap for the implementation. "BIG BANG" will not work. You will have to roll-out the solution in phases.
Senior Consultant/Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it for ticket logging. I'd like more automation.

What is most valuable?

Ticket logging, ability to customize as per the organisation's needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to track issues, get metrics of the technical staff.

What needs improvement?

Automation.

12 months.

Unable to use SQL Server during installation, as the software defaults to PostgreSQL. Unable to use AD account to administer the setup.

We had issues wherein the software stopped working. We had to re-install the software and configure again. We were unable to import the old data into the new installation.

Ours is a small…
Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
I use it in a Fortune 1000 company to show physical topologies of software to hardware relationships. It helps eliminate confusion of what hardware/software/users are impacted in DR or maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Since my last review I have spent much more time with this product. Although it is an all in one solution for many technologies they do not flow very well together nor is it an Enterprise solution. It does help desk and inventory very well. Other modules such as Change Management and Service Catalog are there but lack good customization to fit your enterprise needs.
System Engineer at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
It provides an overview of which incidents are to be taken care of in the organization and with which urgencies.

What other advice do I have?

SD+ is definitely a good and flexible ServiceDesk tool which can even be broadly used in larger organizations.
Network specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to add roles, users, and groups, but there were problems with user and group permissions.

Valuable Features:

It's easy and useful for help desks and IT departments. It is user friendly, and made it easy to add roles, users, and groups.

Improvements to My Organization:

It filled the gap between users, first line support, and managers easily. I synced it with our Kerio mail server, so end user support could find out and solve problems faster.

Room for Improvement:

I had some problem with user and group permissions in 2014, and I’m not sure if that is resolved now or not.