ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus vs ServiceNow

What is ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus?

ServiceDesk Plus is comprehensive help desk software with integrated asset and project management capabilities built on ITIL framework. ServiceDesk Plus is trusted by more than 100,000 organizations across 186 countries and is available in 29 different languages. With ServiceDesk Plus, IT organizations can leverage ITIL processes while unifying their help desk, asset management and project management activities in a single pane of glass.

It is fully integrated and easy to set up - without extensive customization or integrations. It has rich automation that helps eliminate pesky manual processes for quicker ticket resolution and higher end user satisfaction.

Features

ServiceDesk Plus comes with a great balance of features to suit your business needs. The features available are listed below.

Incident management: Gain control of your help desk

With incident management you can pin incidents to the right technicians to ensure accountability and automate ticket workflows with automatic ticket dispatch, business rules, escalation, service level agreement, notification rules or alerts, preventive maintenance for timely ticket resolution. In other words, you can manage the entire lifecycle of an incident!

Problem management: Go beyond firefighting

Problem management helps you analyze the root cause and reduce recurring incidents in your IT, raise a new problem from within an incident, link related incidents to a problem and close them all at once! Further, you can provide temporary workarounds till you find a permanent fix to the problem.

Change management: Manage changes with precision

Manage your changes with precision. Streamline planning with roll out and back out plans, take informed decisions in the assessment, prioritization, and scheduling of changes with inputs from the Change Advisory Board (CAB), automated workflows to ensure that there are no more unauthorized or failed changes.

Asset management: Track and manage assets with ease

Discover, track, and manage your IT hardware and software assets in one place. Optimize asset utilization, avoid vulnerabilities, and ensure license compliance.

IT project management: Deliver IT projects on time

You can now manage multiple IT projects and requirements, plan releases, track progress, collaborate with team, and measure results, or in other words, manage all your IT projects efficiently. Break a full-blown project into milestones and tasks, set roles and provide access permissions, track the utilization of your resources, monitor the overall progress of your IT projects using colored Gantt charts, and do more to steer your IT projects to success!

Purchases and contracts management: Track IT purchases and contracts

Automate your supplier interactions and IT purchasing functions with full traceability and visibility, maintain master records for various vendors and track purchases from ordering to receipt and invoicing, reduce delays and cut unnecessary spending, track IT hardware and software contracts to improve compliance, associate assets and get proactively notified of contract expiry.

Self service portal: Deflect tickets from your service desk

Help users solve repeat incidents using a knowledge base and deflect tickets from your service desk, keep end users informed on ticket progress/approvals through automated notifications or make company-wide announcements of any outage or unplanned maintenance, auto suggest solutions during ticket creation and provide easy templates to create tickets.

Service catalog: Showcase your IT services

Showcase the offered IT services to your end user and give a new face to your IT. You can customize your workflow of delivering the service request specific to each service category. You can also setup approval process and service level agreements for each service request.

CMDB: Get the bigger picture

ServiceDesk Plus CMDB ensures effortless management of your entire IT infrastructure. Track and manage all configuration items and map their relationships and dependencies. Visually analyze the impact of changes and outages for informed decision-making.

Service level agreement: Ensure timely service delivery

Create SLAs and provide quality services on time to your end users. With the intuitive SLA management in ServiceDesk Plus, escalate proactively to four levels of hierarchy to ensure that your SLAs are met.

Reports: Derive decisions with the right data

Generate over 150+ inbuilt reports, custom reports, query reports and flash reports pertaining to various service desk modules like requests, problems, changes, assets, surveys, contracts, and purchase. Use real time dashboards to accurately reflect health of the service desk, create relevant custom reports and add them to your dashboard and take strategic decisions based on the current trend of your help desk performance!

Extensions and integrations: Collaborate easily with other IT systems

Enjoy tight integration with software that monitors and manages your networks, applications, desktops, and Active Directory. Get what you always wanted - 360 degree visibility of your IT!

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Customers

Tranter IT Infrastructure Services Limited, Sterlite Technologies, averda, Radiology Associates

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Video

Archived ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Reviews (more than two years old)

DK
MIS Manager at MGM
A great ticketing solution that offers excellent reporting and responsive technical support

• "When somebody wants to follow up with a problem from the past, the solution makes it easy. It keeps everything in one system and updated."
  • "We should be able to monitor the performance of assets, not only documents. For example, printers. We should be able to monitor ink levels and get notifications when the ink is low. In another operation manager I use, they send me a notification when the device is off, or has something to perform."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for asset management and for ticketing. We use it as a support solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows you to solve certain problems by categorizing the technicality of the problem and to prioritize critical issues. The solution can provide an overview to show which issues are cropping up the most in order to ensure the most important issues are dealt with expediently. It's saved us a lot of time and effort.

What is most valuable?

The reporting feature of the solution is very good for asset management and also for the performance of our organization.

When somebody wants to follow up with a problem from the past, the solution makes it easy. It keeps everything in one system and updated. It even has a calendar, and a backup available on the application.

What needs improvement?

At first, the interface is not so easy to use and it's a bit complicated, but you do get used to it over time.

We should be able to monitor the performance of assets, not only documents. For example, printers. We should be able to monitor ink levels and get notifications when the ink is low. In another operation manager I use, they send me a notification when the device is off or has something to perform. This is a great feature. I'd like to see things like that added to the solution.

I've been using the solution for less than a year.

The solution is pretty stable.

The solution is scalable. So far, we've scaled up to 500 users, and we plan to scale up even more over time.

Technical support is very responsive. During some updates, we had a few small issues and they fixed them for us.

We did not previously use a different solution. We used to use an excel spreadsheet to manually track issues.

The implementation was straightforward. However, they provide a manual that's very big and you have to go through everything by yourself to get used to it. Once you absorb the information it's fine and it's not so complicated. You just need two or three people to deploy the solution.

We deployed the solution ourselves.

We have yet to see an ROI because we are just a new business, but we do expect to see it in the future.

We are on a yearly subscription and use the on-premises deployment model of the solution.

For our 500 assets that are using the professional version of the solution, we pay somewhere between $4,000 and $5,000 per year.

We don't pay any costs beyond the standard licensing fee. You might add on if you have more assets, for example, an operation number. They do have features where you might need to add extra fees above your standard cost.

We did not evaluate other options. I used this very solution about ten years ago at another company and returned to it because I liked its functionality.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those adopting the solution document their configuration because it makes it easier.

I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten. With a simpler configuration, I would rate it a bit higher.

AK
Financial & IT Deputy Group Head at Banka Kombëtare Tregtare
Good for tracking our service requests, but lags in the Software Assets Management capability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our help desk, and for change management.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has provided a way to manage request tracking and resolution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the tracking of service requests.

What needs improvement?

Improvement is needed in the Software Assets Management functionality.

Ten years.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our help desk, and for change management.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has provided a way to manage request tracking and resolution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the tracking of service requests.

What needs improvement?

Improvement is needed in the Software Assets Management functionality.

Ten years.
Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Gamal Elsabbagh
IT Engineer at arkas egypt
A Valuable Customer Service Managment Solution for Companies of Scale

• "This solution has helped a lot by freeing up valuable time allowing the IT personnel to work on other more critical areas, key projects, and perform their fundamental job requirements on time without interruption."
  • "When I think of improvements the first thing that comes to mind would have to be the active management function. I have encountered some bugs with this aspect of the tool. I wouldn't necessarily identify these issues as bugs, they're more like processes issues associated with the scanning assets; the process could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is to service our internal employees with in our company. We're continually optimizing this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped a lot by freeing up valuable time, allowing the IT personnel to work on other more critical areas, key projects, and perform their fundamental job requirements on time without interruption.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ticketing system and ticket handling features. I place a lot of value in our solutions centers. The solutions center functions as a troubleshooting hub as well as a problem-solving assistant. Finally, the remote desktop support service is of great value as they are very prompt and efficient.

What needs improvement?

When I think of improvements the first thing that comes to mind would have to be the active management function. I have encountered some bugs with this aspect of the tool. I wouldn't necessarily identify these issues as bugs, they're more like processes issues associated with the scanning assets; the process could be improved.

The solution is quite stable. No issues so far. In reference to the downtime, we're hosting on our client's premises.

The only thing I would change regarding the scalability would have to be the capacity. We need to use a different database to manage more than 1,000 employees.

Technical support has been very good. They respond on the same day, and if the issue persists they are agile and responsive in their dealings concerning ongoing support. For example, they offer remote assistance; they can debug the issue remotely.

We didn't have a previous solution. Before this, we used traditional email messaging and placing phone calls. When our user base increased significantly we started to think about investing in ticketing, or a service desk management solution.

We evaluated other providers. We had a short list which included SysAid, and Freshservice.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a solid 7.5 out of ten since the tool comes with different modules. Albeit some of these modules, including exit management module, need some improvements. But regarding the ticketing as a stand-alone, it's pretty good. But the other modules need improvement.

I recommend this tool for anyone thinking of implementing enterprise IT management software for their service management, operations management, active directory, and security needs. The tool offers the ability to manage different employee groups along with the option of providing other services for different company structures.

Bhavani Prasad Paragi
General Manager at Qwikcilver
Ticket auto-routing improves our efficiency, but this solution lacks custom reporting

• "The auto-routing feature saves a lot of effort, where we used to spend a lot of time manually assigning things."
  • "I would also like to see better integration with external software. It is possible, but it is tough. The APIs are not very flexible, so you really have to write a lot of code to create that integration. Opening it up for external integration would allow for easier customization of the existing autobox workflows. It would help with the user's perception."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is providing technical support for our platform. This solution allows us to create the support tickets and forward them to different technical groups for resolution.

How has it helped my organization?

This product helps us with tracking customer queries, and managing the issues effectively. The auto-routing feature saves a lot of effort, where we used to spend a lot of time manually assigning things. Automatic tracking of the SLAs has also helped us become more efficient.

What is most valuable?

I have found several features to be quite valuable. The first is the support ticket auto-routing mechanism, where we are able to create business rules that are used to automatically assign the ticket to one of our predefined groups.

Another feature I find valuable is the SLA calculating, where the product is able to apply different rules based on the SLA. You can create your own SLA definitions.

The third feature that I find very useful is the solutions module, where you can create a knowledge base. It is quite helpful when the agent is taking the information directly from the end user. Using this feature, we are able to increase the percentage of cases where the customer can be helped during their initial call.

What needs improvement?

The main thing that I find lacking in the product is the ability to do custom reporting. They have canned reports, but apart from that, I am unable to define my own reports based on my needs. It requires a lot of external customization.

One final issue, on the topic of business rules, is that more can be implemented. I have seen CRM systems over the past twenty years that can do much more than this. For example, you should be able to customize your workflow completely. I would like to draw my own workflow and go with that. Also, I would like to be able to write a custom feature and include it in the workflow. These things are missing from the product.

I would rate the stability of this solution to be very good.

This is a product that will scale up to, a mid-sized organization. I would say one with less than around three or four thousand items, but not more than that.

In terms of the entire architecture, I find it not so robust. It starts misbehaving after approximately five or six hundred concurrent connections. In particular, it demands a huge amount of CPU usage, as well as the other resources.

I found the initial setup to be straightforward and very simple. I would say that anybody who has a little bit of software knowledge, in terms of application installation, could take care of it without worry.

The cost of licensing is approximately ten dollars per suite, per month. When scaling up, there are a lot of other expenses such as infrastructure, the telecommunication companies, etc.

An annual maintenance contract is available for an extra cost. There are also consulting services available.

We considered several solutions including Zendesk, Freshdesk, Freshservice, and ServiceNow. The main advantage we saw in this solution is the auto-routing feature, which was not common at this price point. The product was ranked among the top in the ranking list, and it was also one of the most stable ones when we selected it. Essentially, it had all of the features that we were looking for, which is why we chose it.

In general, it is important that the product quality is in line with the current trends in the industry, and cost-effectiveness is essential.

What other advice do I have?

This is a cost-effective product that meets all of the required, basic needs for the company. The workflow for the ticketing system and the service management systems work well. Apart from that, more customizable workflows, better integration, increased robustness of the knowledge base, and more flexible integration gateways would improve the product.

I would rate this solution six out of ten.

Mohsin Ghani
Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
We improve day by day with this solution, we have seen significantly improved performance

• "The most valuable features are project management, change management, and the flow according to the mail chain."
  • "They could improve the screens."

What is our primary use case?

We have a toll free number for our company, customers call us and ask about their problem. We issue the ticket to the customer as well as our local internal team. Then after the team tickets the number and the particular client coded up. We resolve the issue and after the issue is resolved we close the ticket. This is our main mode of operation. When we go through the audit, the company requires that all of these tickets require the solution. That's why we use this application. Mainly for auditing purposes for this application.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit we see is in the performance appraisals. This is a benefit for our engineers and our team. We then take up a particular engine to see how long they take. The performance is what the solution provides.

We improve day by day with this solution. Initially, mistakes took four hours time, now they can be completed in one to two hours. This is an improvement. We look at the performance, how long tickets will be opened for, after that how long it takes to close the tickets. This is the main focus for how we are working to provide the best services to our clients. This is the main feature of this application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are project management, change management, and the flow according to the mail chain.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the screens.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PK
Team Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good report features but lags in configuration

What is most valuable?

I am enjoying the report features, they are quite good.

What needs improvement?

I expected more features than it has. The flexibility is missing. I was also expecting a different level of configuration and segregation.

Three to five years.

Stability is actually good.

It is scalable, but sometimes there are performance issues.

Technical support is quite good but they are not very quick to respond. It takes time to resolve the ticket.

I was not involved personally with the initial setup but from what I hear, it is not complex.…

What is most valuable?

I am enjoying the report features, they are quite good.

Three to five years.

Stability is actually good.

It is scalable, but sometimes there are performance issues.

I was not involved with this part of the decision process.

Fanky Christian
Director at Daya Cipta Mandiri Solusi, PT
Manages all our requests, both internal and external requests, for not only ticketing but users' requests

• "We not only handle tickets, but also requests from many departments. All are easy to manage."
  • "ServiceDesk Plus manages all our requests, both internal and external requests, for not only ticketing but users' requests."
  • "For ITIL functions, it should be more complex, including financial functions. We are expecting it to be easier for customization within workflows and templates."

What is our primary use case?

ServiceDesk Plus is good to support internal IT help desk systems, external customer support systems, and request management within the company.

How has it helped my organization?

ServiceDesk Plus manages all our requests, both internal and external requests, for not only ticketing but also users' requests. We started by using the free version (limited technicians), and now we use the professional edition with the asset management functions.

What is most valuable?

• Request management
  • SLAs
  • Business site

More than five years.

We handle a lot of users, and it's still stable

easy to contact

We used open source ticketing, with limitation and need to enhance, so we migrate to servicedesk plus

no, very simple

inhouse team

2 years

we implement the on premise servicedesk plus because it's affordable

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: gold partner
Fanky Christian
Director at Daya Cipta Mandiri Solusi, PT
The initial setup is very simple

• "Service Catalog and Project Management are awesome features. Customers love them because they are easy to use and simple to install."
  • "The product needs to allow for implementation for other departments besides the IT help desk."

What is our primary use case?

We install and implement ServiceDesk Plus for various industries, starting from common enterprises up to IT companies running data center services. They are happy to use SDP, even the standard version, with Service Catalog add-ons.

How has it helped my organization?

ServiceDesk Plus with Service Catalog and Project Management add-ons are a good place to start for companies wanting to use it.

What is most valuable?

Service Catalog and Project Management are awesome features. Customers love them because they are easy to use, simple to install, and we set them up quickly too.

What needs improvement?

People ask to implement the product not only for their IT help desk, as we do that, but also for HR and general affairs, allowing them to use SDP for their services.

No issues.

No issues.

Some customer used LANDESK solutions, but since the reporting function was too complicated, they switched to ServiceDesk Plus.

The initial setup is very simple.

Two years.

The prices are attractive. Customer can use a subscription if they do not have enough budget.

it_user685383
Senior ICT Consultant
Using this solution, we have had a positive experience to integrate ICT project management to our IT business reality.

What is most valuable?

It has resulted in a positive experience to integrate ICT project management to our IT business reality so we value the following features:

• ITIL integration
  • main ITIL processes on real application
  • easy to use and customize
  • initial deployment and additional customization with reliable logical application
  • consistently sufficient on results and data management
  • possible to adapt to our business reality
  • purchase order control
  • parametrization and business rules allow personalized customization of this module for great control
  • integration to third party applications for monitoring and reporting
  • no bugs or blocks in SQL integration
  • fundamental for our environment
  • versatile, powerful, and simple administration
  • project management integration

How has it helped my organization?

We had outsourced most of our IT services and to have this application as support together with the benefits of full control for implementing service delivery, gave us the confidence to implement a CSI from the very beginning.

What needs improvement?

Request management is not clearly separated form incident management and the conditions to customize this are tricky and unique for our organization.

We have been using the solution for four years.

We have had only one small stability issue which was corrected with an update.

Growing with the tool from zero cases to reach almost 1000 cases in a relatively short time, having no issues, reflects our good experience with this product.

I would rate the technical support at 8/10. Some questions were dealt with centrally and it has not been necessary to contact the local support for additional services, apart from common queries and questions.

We used Cherwell and CA Service Desk previously, through an outsourcing company.

Implementation was a bit heavy in terms of customization, but based on a well-structured ITIL process, it was a manageable import. Integration to SCCM and AD made the integration to our IT environment easier.

It is cost effective and well balanced in terms of benefit.

We evaluated Cherwell, CA Help Desk and Atlassian Service Desk.

What other advice do I have?

Give them the chance to implement a demo and put in a short practice and you will see how easy and effective the solution is.

it_user483660
National IT Support Head at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Supports process-related IT requests from users and operational management of the IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature it that it is ITIL compliant.

How has it helped my organization?

IT request management has improved over the years. This product supports all process-related IT requests from users and operational management of the IT infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

There could be some improvement regarding integration with other platforms like Sharepoint.

We have been using the solution for eight years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

We did not need much support, except on a few occasions. I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

We switched from the previous solution because they were not ITIL compliant. That meant that we had to use more than one product.

The initial setup was straightforward, if you are prepared with clear processes and information that the implementation needs.

Pricing and licensing of this product are more convenient than other products.

We evaluated LANDESK, some internal developments, and Sharepoint features.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared with your processes first, then implement the product.

it_user628692
Senior ICT Consultant
Integrates ICT project management to our IT business.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include ITIL integration, main ITIL processes on real applications, ease of use, and customizability.

Our experience with the product is as follows:

• Initial deployment and additional customization with logical application: Reliable.
  • Consistent on results and data management: Highly sufficient.
  • Possibility to adapt to our business reality.
  • Purchase order control, parametrization, and business rules allow personalized customization of this module to have great control.
  • Integration to third-party applications (monitoring and reporting).
  • Stability, (no bugs or blocks in SQL integration), is fundamental for our environment.
  • Versatile administration: Powerful and simple methods of administration.
  • Project Management integration: Integrates ICT project management to our IT business reality.

How has it helped my organization?

We outsourced most of our IT services. Having this application for support to replace the benefits of full control for implementing a delivery service, gives us the confidence to implement a CSI from the very beginning.

What needs improvement?

Request management is not clearly separated form incident management. The conditions to customize this could be tricky and unique for our organization.

To clarify this concept:

We develop two different processes based on ITIL models for reporting cases or taking request from users :

- Request fulfilment

- Incident Management

These two cases are the main inputs to the system, SD+ has a generic name for incidents and requests and we had to do an internal agreement to differentiate request from incidents, at the moment to see the “request” ( names assigned by SD+ ) given also to incidents, it causes a small confutation to the new service delivery agents.

This should be clearly defined or leave the option to the users to create request at the level of incidents in two different categories. No we have new incidents with categories of Request of Information or requested for other aspects. ( this is something that we considered not a good element)

We have been using the product for about four years.

We have had only one small issue that was corrected with an update.

We had no scalability issues as we grew with the tool from zero cases to reaching almost 1000 cases in a relatively short period time. Our experience with this product is good.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10. Some questions were attended to by their main office. We did not have to contact local support for additional services apart from common queries and questions.

We used Cherwell and CA Service desk.

Implementation was a bit heavy in terms of customization, but based on a well-structured ITIL processes, it was manageable. Importing and integration to SCCM and AD made the integration to our IT environment simpler.

It is cost effective and well-balanced in benefits.

We evaluated Cherwell, CA Helpdesk, and Atlassian SD.

What other advice do I have?

Give them the chance to implement a demo and put in a short amount of time for practice to see how easy and effective the solution is.

Albeez
IT Director at DAR AL ARKAN
Automates, integrates, monitors, and measures performance of IT assets and resources.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is seamless integration with other modules such as asset management, GRC, File/Active Directory Audit, and Event Log Analyzer (SIEM).

ServiceDesk Plus is a game changer in turning IT teams from performing daily fire-fighting tasks to delivering awesome customer service. It provides great visibility.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped in centralizing, consolidating, optimizing, and improving governance and compliance requirements.

What needs improvement?

Some of the features which are currently available in the cloud version can be made available with the on-premise editions. There is also integration with chat and VOIP functionality.

We have been using this solution since 2014.

We did the deployment by ourselves. Very good documentation is available.

The application is stable and there have been no issues. We are working with a single instance. If required, we can plan and implement a dual instance with high availability options.

There have been no scalability issues.

I would give customer service a rating of 7/10.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10.

We used open source software previously. We moved to this solution because it helped automate, integrate, monitor, and measure performance of all IT assets and resources. We have moved from being reactive to proactive.

Installation is easy, but it requires a good system administrator to configure and enable all the features and functionalities. Online support also helped us fix the issues.

We used an in-house team for the implementation.

The ROI can be tangible/non-tangible. It will differ based on the organizations involved and their various business requirements.

Do a cost-benefit analysis of the on-premise, perpetual license and subscription and finalize it.

We evaluated HappyFox.

What other advice do I have?

Go through the features and functionalities offered in this product. Prepare a roadmap for the implementation. "BIG BANG" will not work. You will have to roll-out the solution in phases.

Fazal Ur Rehman Shah
Senior Consultant/Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it for ticket logging. I'd like more automation.

What is most valuable?

Ticket logging, ability to customize as per the organisation's needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to track issues, get metrics of the technical staff.

What needs improvement?

Automation.

12 months.

Unable to use SQL Server during installation, as the software defaults to PostgreSQL. Unable to use AD account to administer the setup.

We had issues wherein the software stopped working. We had to re-install the software and configure again. We were unable to import the old data into the new installation.

Ours is a small…

What is most valuable?

Ticket logging, ability to customize as per the organisation's needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to track issues, get metrics of the technical staff.

What needs improvement?

Automation.

12 months.

Ours is a small setup with just three technicians, so scalability is not much of an issue.

We are using the free version and there is no customer service with it.

Straightforward.

We implemented and customized it in-house.

Yes. We tried Atlassian JIRA.

Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
I use it in a Fortune 1000 company to show physical topologies of software to hardware relationships. It helps eliminate confusion of what hardware/software/users are impacted in DR or maintenance.

Valuable Features

I'm currently using ServiceDesk Plus for lifeCycle management and inventory relationships with the CMDB.

Improvements to My Organization

I use ServiceDesk Plus in a Fortune 1000 company to show physical topologies of software to hardware relationships. With so many applications living on so many servers and with databases housing data for multiple applications, it is difficult to trace and understand the relationship between them. ServiceDesk Plus helps eliminate confusion of what hardware/software/users are impacted during a DR or scheduled maintenance.

Room for Improvement

The search feature is hidden and limited to specific categories of assets. When searching for an asset, you need to know the category in which it exits. If it was not scanned properly and it was not categorized correctly, you will need to scan the asset from all CI types. And when that is done, you lose the action menu for the asset. However, once you discover what category the asset lives in, then you can search that category specifically to enable the actions drop-down menu.

Also, there seems to be a lack of the ability to export assets in the CMDB. A report can be generated but not exported. The only option is to copy the contents of the report on the screen and to paste them into Excel. This is not a good option since it brings along an image for each asset and a hyper link. The application certainly needs a good export.

Change Management and Service Catalog lack any decent customization. You are forced to fit you business needs with the functionality of the product.

Support needs a serious attention. Getting any help is next to impossible.

They do not flow together very well. The product feels like many different solutions packed into one.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 1 year.

I did not deploy this product as it was already deployed by the company I am consulting for.

We've had no issues with stability at this time, but I have only worked with it for a short period of time.

I've used the product across multiple countries, several plants, and corporate offices for a Fortune 1000 company with no issues. I would say scalability is good.

Technical support has been horrible to deal with. It can take days to return your call if they return it at all. When they finally do work with you on questions or problems they are not much help.

I have found their forums to be a much better place to get questions answered.

Implementation Team

The application was installed by the local IT team at the company.

Other Solutions Considered

I currently use Spiceworks for our solution and to monitor several other customer sites. This product is a little more robust in the inventory and topology of the assets. If you are looking for a good CMDB, I would choose this product over Spiceworks. However, I have not had a chance to work with the help desk modules of this product and cannot express any comparison to Spiceworks in that regard.

Other Advice

Since my last review I have spent much more time with this product. Although it is an all in one solution for many technologies they do not flow very well together nor is it an Enterprise solution. It does help desk and inventory very well. Other modules such as Change Management and Service Catalog are there but lack good customization to fit your enterprise needs.

it_user363621
System Engineer at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
It provides an overview of which incidents are to be taken care of in the organization and with which urgencies.

What is most valuable?

This product is quite flexible since the admin is able to add or change templates and add as many (sub) categories as necessary to get a good overview of all assigned tickets.

How has it helped my organization?

With this tool, you have good and clear overview of which incidents are to be taken care of in the organization and with which urgencies.

What needs improvement?

None whatsoever.

I've used it for six years.

No issues encountered.

8/10. They're not perfect and could use some improvement in their responsiveness and knowledge of individual issues.

I tried the ServiceDesk option from the freeware Spiceworks Asset Management tool, but this was very “flat” and not very flexible. Since I was the only technician initially, the free version of SD+ was sufficient enough and this was very flexible.

Just click and install.

Just downloaded from manageengine.com, implemented, and configured myself.

What other advice do I have?

SD+ is definitely a good and flexible ServiceDesk tool which can even be broadly used in larger organizations.

it_user248904
Network specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to add roles, users, and groups, but there were problems with user and group permissions.

Valuable Features:

It's easy and useful for help desks and IT departments. It is user friendly, and made it easy to add roles, users, and groups.

Improvements to My Organization:

It filled the gap between users, first line support, and managers easily. I synced it with our Kerio mail server, so end user support could find out and solve problems faster.

Room for Improvement:

I had some problem with user and group permissions in 2014, and I’m not sure if that is resolved now or not.

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Download our free ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.