MariaDB Overview

MariaDB is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Open Source Databases. It is most often compared to SQL Server: MariaDB vs SQL Server

What is MariaDB?
MariaDB Server is the fastest growing open source database. With its open-source innovation and enterprise-grade reliability, MariaDB Server is a modern database trusted by everyone from highly regulated industries to cutting-edge web-scale companies. MariaDB Server is available through all leading Linux distributions, and is the default database in openSUSE, Manjaro, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) / CentOS / Fedora, Arch Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise and Debian, reaching more than 60 million developers worldwide. As one of the most broadly adopted and widely deployed around the world, MariaDB Server receives contributions from companies like Alibaba, Facebook and Google — benefiting the entire community.
MariaDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MariaDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

MariaDB Customers
Google, Wikipedia, Tencent, Verizon, DBS Bank, Deutsche Bank, Telefónica, Huatai Securities

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MariaDB pricing:
  • "This is an open-source product, which can be used free of charge."
  • "It's an open-source solution."
  • "The licensing cost is approximately $4000.00 per year and the licensing is based on the software and the number of posts that you make."

Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms. Corporation
Provides great database for systems monitoring data and performance stability

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we deploy the solution for the telecommunications industry. We use the database for monitoring data that's collected on different equipment networking

• "Great monitoring and performance stability."
  • "Lacks time series data and additional driving support would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that if a company wants to do everything in-house and doesn't have support, it's important to have good database administrators, because the initial setup is straightforward, but a lot of optimization is needed, and it requires skillful administrators. I'd recommend some good planning from the beginning, and it's important to figure out whether the company needs to do some database partitioning. Carry out good research from the beginning, because if it's not taken care of then, there will be problems. I rate this solution an eight out of 10.
AA
Owner at TRS
Works very well, easy to set up, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using MariaDB for our federation of identity system, which is used to record students, service providers, and many other things. This system uses MariaDB as a database.

• "We use MariaDB for identity provider services. Most of the things that we are doing are deployed in the container mode. All such solutions require a database, and MariaDB is easier to use for these kinds of deployments."
  • "It would be good if they can maybe improve the mass import in the database. Currently, for importing a large number of data, we create a CSV file and upload all the things in the system. The system does not activate them by default. We have to do this manually. This may be due to the version we are using, but this is something we would like to see improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It has worked very well for us so far. I have no complaints about it. I would rate MariaDB a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about MariaDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager at Sansi Electronic Engineering
Easy to set up and works well with little configuration

What is our primary use case?

Our software development team uses MariaDB and other databases as the storage facility for some of our applications.

• "The most valuable feature is that it uses multiple cores, which is better than some of the other databases."
  • "When we have had issues with accidental computer shutdown or a power outage, our MariaDB database was corrupted."

What other advice do I have?

I think that for a small team of fewer than ten people, such as a couple of developers, MariaDB is a very easy start. When the team size grows or when the complexity of the application grows, you might need to try other options such as Ingres or MySQL. In our case, at the very beginning, MariaDB covered almost every technical requirement for releasing version one of our application. It is definitely a good start. Once the product has grown to a point where the developers know in which aspect MariaDB does not fulfill the requirements, then it's time to find a better match. At this point, I…
VC
CEO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to install but when in a cluster, sometimes the slave goes out of synch

What is our primary use case?

We are a software and service provider and we have a lot of customers who are using our platform on the backend, which includes MariaDB. Our platform is for cloud telephony and the interface is the PHP Laravel Apache Platform. We have a hosted PBX platform and we are using Asterix as a telephony server. MariaDB is the database part of the solution.

• "MariaDB performs well as the backend database for our cloud-based telephony solution."
  • "With respect to clustering and the master-slave configuration, sometimes the slave goes out of synch."

What other advice do I have?

Our use of MariaDB is very basic, so it's a good platform compared to many others. As it is a good product, I can recommend it to any users. If you want to have paid versions then there is Oracle and Microsoft SQL, but MariaDB is quite good and unless you have some specialized requirements, of which I don't know what they could be, you can use mariaDB. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
MR
Senior Database Administrator Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with a simple initial setup and a fast implementation

What is our primary use case?

Our clients have a variety of use cases. I'm not familiar with just one.

• "The solution is very easy to implement."
  • "The GUI could be improved a bit. The user interface needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We implement the solution. We typically deal with on-premises deployments. We use the latest version of the solution. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'd recommend the solution. We've largely been happy with it so far.
FC
Technical Lead Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, easy to deploy for development, and works well for most use cases

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for merging reports, merging agents, and we have implemented for business intelligence.

• "I would say that for most use cases it works fine."
  • "It's not very stable. It needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I am an IT engineer. I am always researching the best solutions for our clients. I work mainly with open-source solutions, such as Liferay and WordPress. Before this product was called MariaDB it was called MySQL. I would say that for most use cases it works fine. Before implementing you have to understand what your use case is for. Other databases work better for different use cases. You have to ask yourself if you want to use a relational database or a NoSQL. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
KD
Associate Vice President - Infra and Managed Hosting at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install, good documentation, and performs well

What is our primary use case?

My experience is not at the technical level, it's in the basic areas. My role regarding MariaDB is from the procurement and the technical deployment perspective. The primary use case of MariaDB is for the payroll solution, for the Columnar queries, and for the general information query on the database.

• "From the user's perspective, the performance of the columnar queries is very good in terms of the database when comparing it to the Oracle, and MySQL."
  • "The scaling for database online transactions needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

If you require the use of columnar queries then you should be using MariaDB. Our usage is very limited and we don't know all of the features and how they function. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten, as I have not yet explored all of the functions.
CTO at Gantek
Reseller
Easy to setup, User friendly, and helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are not using MariaDB alone, it is being used with other applications such as ServiceNow. We are focusing on the underlying database of ServiceNow. We provide our customers with complete solutions that include implementation, support, and training. Currently, our customers are on-premises and they have not yet considered this solution for on cloud deployment.

• "This solution is user-friendly."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements in the scalability and redundancy features."

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers but we are willing to be partners with MariaDB. Before starting with the implementation and deployment you should read the guide. You should look at the suggested tips, tricks, clues, and the requirements to avoid having any problems. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 6 more MariaDB Reviews
Download our free MariaDB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.