MariaDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MariaDB is #2 ranked solution in top Open Source Databases and #7 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. IT Central Station users give MariaDB an average rating of 8 out of 10. MariaDB is most commonly compared to SQL Server:MariaDB vs SQL Server. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is MariaDB?
MariaDB Server is the fastest growing open source database. With its open-source innovation and enterprise-grade reliability, MariaDB Server is a modern database trusted by everyone from highly regulated industries to cutting-edge web-scale companies. MariaDB Server is available through all leading Linux distributions, and is the default database in openSUSE, Manjaro, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) / CentOS / Fedora, Arch Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise and Debian, reaching more than 60 million developers worldwide. As one of the most broadly adopted and widely deployed around the world, MariaDB Server receives contributions from companies like Alibaba, Facebook and Google — benefiting the entire community.
MariaDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MariaDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

MariaDB Customers
Google, Wikipedia, Tencent, Verizon, DBS Bank, Deutsche Bank, Telefónica, Huatai Securities

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MariaDB pricing:
  • "This is an open-source product, which can be used free of charge."
  • "When it comes to MariaDB, it should have a more cost-effective license."

MariaDB Reviews

Faustine Chisasa
Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms. Corporation
Provides great database for systems monitoring data and performance stability

• "Great monitoring and performance stability."
  • "Lacks time series data and additional driving support would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are network services provider and we have the solution to store and process telecommunications infrastructure, network and customer services monitoring data. Our Monitoring applications rely on MariaDB to store, process and present telemetry data from different components of the network.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we didn't have a fast network monitoring solution that could be used to monitor everything we have on the network infrastructure. The solution has improved operations because all our customers are happy that we can provide them with high grade service monitoring . They're able to monitor services uptime, utilization and other statistics. The database stores a lot of additional data related to monitoring including inventory and notifications handling data.

What is most valuable?

The software provides a lot of information on what is happening inside the database. For most performance parameters  it is easy to know if something is not right in the configuration or optimization which helps engineers take remedial finetuning measures. For example if the database is underperforming it is easy to know which performance parameter  can be adjusted to handle the workload. It is difficult to troubleshoot database issues if many performance parameters can not be monitored or debugged which is the case with some  database management systems.

It provides great monitoring data storage, processing and performance stability which is really important for real-time data storage and processing. It's a user friendly product.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more time series data and additional partitioning support, natively if possible. I started using  MariaDB but then migrated one of my systems to PostgreSQL because it has good support for time series data, plus there's a plug-in that PostgreSQL uses for easy support of time-series data and partitioning and it is easy to use. MariaDB could have something like that which would provide better support for times series data and partitioning. Automatic partitioning would be helpful is natively supported, because at some point I experienced issues with database performance. Partitioning is a bit complex and we do everything in-house.

I'd like to see something that does automatic optimization or tuning. This will particularly be helpful to new users.

I have been using MariaDB for 2 years

Performance and stability are good with small instances and average skilled database administrators to maintain it, we haven't had any issues with small instances. For large instances that handle a lot of ingress data and queries, good stability can be attained with high level tuning which requires highly skilled database administrators who can correctly tune and partition databases if needed.

We haven't really scaled it and we're still using the open source version which can also  be easily scaled if needs arise.

Our company runs on a tight budget so we haven't got any support, we do everything ourselves. I know from others who have implemented and have commercial agreements with MariaDB that the support is good but I don't have first-hand experience.

I used a monitoring system that used flat files to store monitoring data and at some points used MySQL for some systems

The initial setup was very straightforward, not complex at all. There are so many resources from the community.

We implemented in-house

I can confidently say 90%

There are no costs associated with this solution. It is a free and open source software although one can opt for a paid support from MariaDB

Yes I did evaluate other options. SQLite, Oracle DB, PostgreSQL and MySQL

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that if a company wants to do everything in-house and doesn't have technical support from MariaDB, it is important to have good database administrators, because the initial setup is straightforward, but a lot of optimization is needed, and it requires skillful database administrators. I recommend some good planning from the beginning, and it is important to figure out whether the company needs to do some database partitioning. Carrying out good research from the beginning is the wisest course when choosing MariaDB as a database. That will be so helpful in avoiding possible performance and tuning issues.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

AA
Owner at TRS
Works very well, easy to set up, and scalable

• "We use MariaDB for identity provider services. Most of the things that we are doing are deployed in the container mode. All such solutions require a database, and MariaDB is easier to use for these kinds of deployments."
  • "It would be good if they can maybe improve the mass import in the database. Currently, for importing a large number of data, we create a CSV file and upload all the things in the system. The system does not activate them by default. We have to do this manually. This may be due to the version we are using, but this is something we would like to see improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using MariaDB for our federation of identity system, which is used to record students, service providers, and many other things. This system uses MariaDB as a database.

What is most valuable?

We use MariaDB for identity provider services. Most of the things that we are doing are deployed in the container mode. All such solutions require a database, and MariaDB is easier to use for these kinds of deployments.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. We have no issues.

It is scalable. We are a regional research and education network. MariaDB is a part of the tools that we have deployed to provide services for such institutions. Three other national research and education institutes are also using it, and all of these institutions have many campus users. So, a large number of users are using it, but they don't even know that it is MariaDB because they are just using the tool or the application that has MariaDB as backend. We do plan to increase its usage in the future.

We didn't contact them.

I won't say we switched because we still have another system running PostgreSQL. We started using MariaDB because we were using some tools for identity federation, and these tools come with MariaDB by default. We did not choose MariaDB as a standalone product. If we stop using any of these tools tomorrow, we may no longer use MariaDB.

The initial setup is very simple because we are using a container, which means that it is just a deployment. It is a part of the installation of other applications.

We didn't have to install MariaDB as a standalone product. We installed an identity management system, which automatically requires MariaDB, and all these things are done through containers. It is very easy these days when you are using a container. Everything is straightforward. It is just a matter of calling and installing them.

The initial installation was done by a consultant. Since then, we have deployed many other instances of the same thing. It is the same container, and we keep on deploying it. We just change the configuration.

We have only one person for its deployment and maintenance. We have a network and system admin who deals with the installation for us. We are just using MariaDB behind our federation of identity system. So, we don't deal with it daily. When we want to connect a university or any university wants to join, we install the application that has MariaDB, and that's all.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It has worked very well for us so far. I have no complaints about it.

I would rate MariaDB a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about MariaDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pei QING
Manager at Sansi Electronic Engineering
Easy to set up and works well with little configuration

• "The most valuable feature is that it uses multiple cores, which is better than some of the other databases."
  • "When we have had issues with accidental computer shutdown or a power outage, our MariaDB database was corrupted."

What is our primary use case?

Our software development team uses MariaDB and other databases as the storage facility for some of our applications.

What is most valuable?

Initially, we liked this solution because it is a drop-in replacement for MySQL.

The most valuable feature is that it uses multiple cores, which is better than some of the other databases. When we have eight or sixteen cores, the utilization ratio is a bit higher than previous versions of MySQL. I think perhaps the enterprise version of MySQL may have better support, but the free version does not work as well as MariaDB. This is with the factory default settings.

What needs improvement?

Scalability is an area that needs to be improved.

When we have had issues with accidental computer shutdown or a power outage, our MariaDB database was corrupted. This did not happen with our Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server, so I think that there might be some differences in the database engine that better deals with these kinds of accidents.

We have been working with MariaDB for seven years, since 2013.

We have not experienced much in terms of instability. We have been running our instance since 2013 and it needs almost no maintenance. You just install it and forget it. It's that easy.

MariaDB works with just a little configuration for a small dataset, but it does not scale as well as Oracle of Microsoft SQL Server in our applications. For example, additional manual configuration or tweaks are needed so that a query will return in a reasonable time when there is a high volume of records.

Our client has between 10 and 30 concurrent users.

Getting proper support is sometimes difficult because when you have a technical issue and use Google to try and find a solution, there will be millions of results. You have to tackle it by yourself but even if there is the same error message, you can try every posted solution and it still might not work. There is not a single source of truth that you can rely on.

The initial setup is straightforward and I think that the installation can be completed in a couple of minutes.

We have our own team for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I think that for a small team of fewer than ten people, such as a couple of developers, MariaDB is a very easy start. When the team size grows or when the complexity of the application grows, you might need to try other options such as Ingres or MySQL. In our case, at the very beginning, MariaDB covered almost every technical requirement for releasing version one of our application.

It is definitely a good start. Once the product has grown to a point where the developers know in which aspect MariaDB does not fulfill the requirements, then it's time to find a better match.

At this point, I cannot think of any additional features that I would like to see because most of what I want is already on the roadmap. I think that they plan to implement them one by one.

VC
CEO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to install but when in a cluster, sometimes the slave goes out of synch

• "MariaDB performs well as the backend database for our cloud-based telephony solution."
  • "With respect to clustering and the master-slave configuration, sometimes the slave goes out of synch."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software and service provider and we have a lot of customers who are using our platform on the backend, which includes MariaDB. Our platform is for cloud telephony and the interface is the PHP Laravel Apache Platform. We have a hosted PBX platform and we are using Asterix as a telephony server. MariaDB is the database part of the solution.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

With respect to clustering and the master-slave configuration, sometimes the slave goes out of synch. If one server goes down then the other server in the cluster should be able to handle the load. If the synchronization were better and it was easier to maintain the cluster then that would be an improvement.

I have been using MariaDB for almost five years.

The stability is good, although in clustering, with the master-slave configuration, sometimes the slave goes out of synch. To that extent, stability becomes a challenge and is impacted because we want both the master and slave to be in-synch.

We have a lot of customers who are using our platform on the backend. Also, there are a lot of customers using our telephony product on the front end.

We have five or six clusters and as our business grows, we plan to use it more intensely.

We have our own technical team and to this point, we have not subscribed to receive technical support. However, we are thinking of taking it now because sometimes we have difficulties. There are a number of companies who do provide technical support.

The installation is straightforward, but depending on how efficient you want to make it, it can become complex. You have to have a good level of experience to be able to use it. Otherwise, there can be problems and you won't be able to handle it.

My technical teams, including the development and instructure teams, were responsible for the deployment.

This is an open-source product, which can be used free of charge.

We have not compared this product to many others.

What other advice do I have?

Our use of MariaDB is very basic, so it's a good platform compared to many others.

As it is a good product, I can recommend it to any users. If you want to have paid versions then there is Oracle and Microsoft SQL, but MariaDB is quite good and unless you have some specialized requirements, of which I don't know what they could be, you can use mariaDB.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

MR
Senior Database Administrator Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with a simple initial setup and a fast implementation

• "The solution is very easy to implement."
  • "The GUI could be improved a bit. The user interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients have a variety of use cases. I'm not familiar with just one.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to implement.

The product makes it very easy to use as a primary database or a standby database.

The switches are easy to use.

The initial setup is pretty fast.

What needs improvement?

The solution offers very good automatic features.

The GUI could be improved a bit. The user interface needs to be improved.

I haven't tested the latest version of the solution. There may have been updated and changes that I am not aware of.

The stability of the solution could be improved, as we've had issues.

It would be ideal if the solution could offer an active-active cluster.

We have been dealing with the solution for about one year. It hasn't been too long.

The stability of the solution isn't perfect. I personally have had some issues. It's something that they need to work on.

I've never really dealt with the scalability aspect of the solution. I'm not sure how it would handle the process. I've only tried the DR side, in order to have primary and standby.

I don't have any experience with technical support. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are at this time.

The initial setup doesn't take too long. It's standalone, so it will maybe take one hour to install the machine. It's fairly straightforward, and not too complex. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup.

You only really need two people for deployment and maintenance. YOu don't need a very big team to manage everything.

We are using the community version of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We implement the solution. We typically deal with on-premises deployments. We use the latest version of the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution. We've largely been happy with it so far.

MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, simple to manage, and quick to deploy

• "The solution runs very quickly. It's not slow at all."
  • "The product needs more features and more functionality. It's imperative that it supports more platforms, and supports more operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

We just used MariaDB mainly to take the place of MySQL and do some evaluation and tests in our project.

It's for small business information and content management and the for workplace enterprise applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to set up and the implementation is very quick.

The product is easy to manage.

The solution runs very quickly. It's not slow at all.

The setup is straightforward and the deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be better. It's hard to connect with them as they are not based locally.

The product needs more features and more functionality. It's imperative that it supports more platforms, and supports more operating systems.

If MariaDB becomes more popular, then they will find more people will use the DB for more applications and projects.

It would be ideal if they offered some sort of easy migration tool for migrating from older MariaDB products.

I've used the solution for three years at this point. It's been a while.

We have two clients on the solution currently.

The solution needs more local technical support. It makes it hard to connect, as we're so far away from the team.

We also use MySQL.

The installation is pretty easy. It's straightforward. We don't consider it to be overly complex or difficult.

It takes less than an hour to deploy the product.

We have two engineers that can handle deployment and maintenance.

As an integrator, we can implement the solution for our clients.

We do have clients looking at this product against MySQL. However, only one customer has chosen this product over MySQL so far.

What other advice do I have?

We typically deal with the latest version of the solution.

We are a system integrator and a solution provider.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're mostly pleased with its general capabilities.

We would recommend this to other users and companies. We already actively recommend it to clients.

JI
System Analyst and Team Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A straightforward solution which is easy to install, but the license should be cheaper

• "Installation is straightforward."
  • "The license should be cheaper and closer to that offered by MySQL, Oracle and other products."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution under the Oracle license. Since MariaDB is offline, we use its applications instead of MySQL.

The solution offers all the principal features that are offered by MySQL, including the process which is used, features, function and system.

The solution can provide SQL interface for data.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs more metrics on daily count. SQL Stripment should be addressed.

We have been using MariaDB for the past five or six months.

The solution is scalable.

We have not contacted technical support.

Installation is straightforward.

It took maximum of a half to one hour to complete. It is not a big deal.

The installation can be handled on one's own.

There are two or three technical people responsible for the deployment.

MySQL is under a license for Oracle, which means that it is free and cheaper than other systems and databases.

When it comes to MariaDB, it should have a more cost-effective license.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution with our Internal application. It is not cloud based. Work bench is the interface for MYSQL. An additional interface is also available there from MariaDB.

Integration does not present an issue. It works plain and simple, as if it's MySQL. When it comes to installation, we can control backup systems and there is much data found there, no problem at all. Given the software, the integration works fine and I use the solution in Windows and Linux Ubuntu. The Linux platform has nearly an identical work queue.

I have found the solution to be easy to use from the get go, around five months back. It is simple and secure. No problems there.

There are 100 people making use of the solution in our organization.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate MariaDB as a six out of ten.

RK
Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Simple to setup and stable with high availability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to store data and for our cloud platform backend database. I use the solution for many projects.

What is most valuable?

The solution's high availability is its most valuable aspect. We have found the product to be stable.  The initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The stability could always continue to be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

There are about 100 end-users in my organization…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution's high availability is its most valuable aspect.

We have found the product to be stable.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The stability could always continue to be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for three years.

There are about 100 end-users in my organization that use this product.

I've never dealt directly with technical support. When there has been an issue, I tend to work to solve the problem myself.

There is so much information available, you can easily just Google the problem and likely you are able to troubleshoot the problem yourself. It's easy to find what you need online.

I found the initial setup to be very simple and straightforward.

The deployment was quick. It maybe only took one hour.

We have a DPA team that's able to deploy the solution. For my department, we have six people on it and they're able to handle both deployment and maintenance.

The implementation was handled in-house. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

We don't use a license, however, it is possible to pay for a yearly license if necessary.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. I'm very happy with it overall.

I would recommend the solution to others. It's easy to find details about the product online and to learn about it.