NV
MD at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A stable open-source relational database management system

• "MariaDB is stable and the initial setup is straightforward."
  • "Replication could be better, and it's not so simple. It would be better if they had a replication server. It would make things a lot easier. You need to have that replication server, but not in the same server farm. Then there will be a bit of latency between both because you should have one in one city and another one in a different city. That kind of solution should be more baked into every single database today. Mirroring the database in a live environment where any record written on the production server replicates instantly across the fiber on the other server wasn't easy. Many people don't even bother with that, and they just run one server."

What is our primary use case?

We use MariaDB for a database.

What is most valuable?

MariaDB is stable and the initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Replication could be better, and it's not so simple. It would be better if they had a replication server. It would make things a lot easier. You need to have that replication server, but not in the same server farm. Then there will be a bit of latency between both because you should have one in one city and another one in a different city. That kind of solution should be more baked into every single database today.

I have been using MariaDB for about six years.

MariaDB is stable. If it fell over and weren't good for us, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Oracle bought MySQL, and at the time they forked it, a whole bunch of people were like, "no, this is not nice." We read that saw what's in there ourselves, and that was our reason for switching to MariaDB from MySQL. It wasn't about who had better features because there's not much difference when you compare those two. But it's just a nicer energy and a nicer product.

The initial setup was a piece of cake.

MariaDB is open-source and self-hosted.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that If they want an open-source database that can handle huge volumes and is reliable and strong, then I would recommend it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MariaDB a ten.

FC
Technical Lead Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, easy to deploy for development, and works well for most use cases

• "I would say that for most use cases it works fine."
  • "It's not very stable. It needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for merging reports, merging agents, and we have implemented for business intelligence.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a database.

What needs improvement?

Performance with databases is always the same, we always want more.

Stability needs to be improved. If you are creating a class test, modern machinery or working with the databases, it's always a little bit difficult to configure and keep everything working.

The addition of a workbench for managing this solution would be an improvement.

Also, some kind of technical support to help in getting better performance.

We have been working with MariaDB for ten years.

It's not very stable. It needs improvement.

We have never used the technical support.

Previously we worked with MySQL.

The initial setup is straightforward for our development environment, but for our production environment, the requirements are more. There is more work to be done, such as indexing and similar things.

The deployment for the development environment takes only ten to fifteen minutes.

It's an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am an IT engineer. I am always researching the best solutions for our clients.

I work mainly with open-source solutions, such as Liferay and WordPress.

Before this product was called MariaDB it was called MySQL.

I would say that for most use cases it works fine.

Before implementing you have to understand what your use case is for.

Other databases work better for different use cases. You have to ask yourself if you want to use a relational database or a NoSQL.

Learn what your peers think about MariaDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KD
Associate Vice President - Infra and Managed Hosting at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install, good documentation, and performs well

• "From the user's perspective, the performance of the columnar queries is very good in terms of the database when comparing it to the Oracle, and MySQL."
  • "The scaling for database online transactions needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

My experience is not at the technical level, it's in the basic areas. My role regarding MariaDB is from the procurement and the technical deployment perspective.

The primary use case of MariaDB is for the payroll solution, for the Columnar queries, and for the general information query on the database.

What is most valuable?

From the user's perspective, the performance of the columnar queries is very good in terms of the database when comparing it to the Oracle, and MySQL.

What needs improvement?

The scaling for database online transactions needs improvement. Our users now are restoring the data. They should explore the performance of online transactions.

It's performing well and is meeting our expectations.

The need for technical support is minimal because it is simple and you can do your own troubleshooting with the help of the documents that are available.

The deployment is simple, there are no conflicts.

We deployed MariaDB within a day.

To run a 24/7 operation we need at least five team members on the database administration side.

The licensing cost is approximately $4000.00 per year and the licensing is based on the software and the number of posts that you make.

MariaDB is the solution that was finalized when looking and comparing it with Oracle and MySQL. MariaDB has an advantage due to the columnar queries and data retrieval.

What other advice do I have?

If you require the use of columnar queries then you should be using MariaDB.

Our usage is very limited and we don't know all of the features and how they function.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten, as I have not yet explored all of the functions.

MT
Senior Manager Global Database Services at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy and fast to set up, and the replication feature is helpful

• "The most valuable feature of MariaDB is the replication mode."
  • "Maria DB has to improve from a management perspective."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of MariaDB is the replication mode.

What needs improvement?

MariaDB has to improve from a management perspective. There is not much available for querying internal views to provide information for the operations team. Most other databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, or even PostgreSQL, have a big set of internal views that you can query to understand what is going on, if anything is wrong, or how to improve.

I have been using MariaDB for perhaps two years.

This is a very stable solution.

MariaDB is very scalable.

I have had the opportunity to speak with technical support and I am satisfied with the outcome.

The process of setting up MariaDB is very fast.

The price of this solution represents a very good compromise between the cost and what it offers.

What other advice do I have?

There are many valuable features in MariaDB.

MariaDB is a very good database when everything works fine, and I would recommend it. However, I work in operations and if something goes wrong there is no way to start an analysis because MariaDB doesn't provide many tools that help to understand the problem. In order to make this an enterprise tool, or an enterprise-level database, it needs to improve from this perspective. Otherwise, it will only be good for very small deployments.

LK
Systems Administrator at Dairibord
Stable and simple to install

• "A valuable feature is that we can use it for quite a few things, all the things you'd expect from a server—along the lines of Linux's Lightweight Directory."
  • "MariaDB could be improved by adding more automation."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases of this solution are for emails and all the functions you would expect from a server. MariaDB is deployed on-prem, on one of our Linux servers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

MariaDB could be improved by adding more automation.

We have been using this solution for the past five years or so.

This solution is stable. For deployment and maintenance, we have a team of four admins.

This solution is scalable. There are about 100 people in my company using MariaDB.

I didn't use a different solution before implementing MariaDB.

It is very simple to install MariaDB. We did it ourselves and it took less than a day.

We implemented through an in-house team.

We pay for a yearly license. We don't currently have plans to increase the number of users in the foreseeable future, but we will do so if we need to.

I didn't evaluate other options before choosing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate MariaDB an eight out of ten. I recommend this solution to others considering implementation.

DEEPEN DHULLA
Director & CTO at TechnoInfotech
Reliable, straightforward to set up, and the documentation is great

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and MariaDB is part of an offering that we deploy for our customers.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about MariaDB is that it is open-source and reliable.

What needs improvement?

Master-master replication is something that needs to be simplified. I would like to see support for deploying MariaDB as an embedded database.

I have been using MariaDB for three years.

This is a reliable product.

Scalability is not an issue with MariaDB. We have deployed it to lots of our customers.

I have been using the Community…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

What I like best about MariaDB is that it is open-source and reliable.

What needs improvement?

Master-master replication is something that needs to be simplified.

I would like to see support for deploying MariaDB as an embedded database.

I have been using MariaDB for three years.

This is a reliable product.

I have been using the Community Edition that does not come with support, but the documentation is great. Enterprise support is available for those who are using a licensed version.

Prior to MariaDB, I was using MySQL. After it was taken over by Oracle, we made the shift to MariaDB.

The initial setup is straightforward and it takes approximately half an hour to deploy.

I handle the deployment for this solution myself.

I used the open-source version, which is available free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I absolutely recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Yoga Arnindita
Head of IT Planning and Development Division at BRILife
Good performance and good community support

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to develop with MariaDB. The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if I could specify multiple drives for the database storage. That is not supported by MariaDB. For example, in Microsoft SQL Server, you can have storage on multiple drives.

I have been using MariaDB since 2014, between five and six years ago.

MariaDB is very stable. We have used it with perhaps 40,000 concurrent users and it is never down.

The scalability is something that can be improved. In my previous organization, we had five developers using it.

How are customer service and

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to develop with MariaDB.

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using MariaDB since 2014, between five and six years ago.

The scalability is something that can be improved.

In my previous organization, we had five developers using it.

I have not been in contact with technical support because the performance is very good and we haven't had any problems that necessitated contacting them. The documentation and community support is very good, which is probably why we didn't have any significant problems.

I have also used Microsoft SQL Server.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment can be done in minutes.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend.

MK
Chief Technology Officer at Feelway, Inc.
Database solution with good performance

• "MariaDB can solve things better than MySQL. Maria DB has better performance than MySQL."
  • "I would like to see more compatibility going forward. This would help if there is a need to change databases."

What is our primary use case?

When I worked for Groupon in Korea, the main production database was MariaDB. We used it for eCommerce. It was a database where we stored data.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more compatibility going forward. This would help if there is a need to change databases. E.g., if I change from MySQL 5.7 to another database, then MySQL could be the master database and this could database could be the slave. The replication capability is very important.

Two years.

I have not contacted the technical support. We haven't needed it.

We have recently upgraded to change our database and our production database is now MySQL 5.7. If someone wants to use memory based data, then MySQL is better than MariaDB.

We are using MySQL but MariaDB can solve things better than MySQL. Maria DB has better performance than MySQL.

Sometimes Percona is better.

What other advice do I have?

MariaBD is good. It is almost perfect. I would recommend it.

I would rate this product as a nine (out of 10).