McAfee Advanced Threat Defense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiSandbox: McAfee Advanced Threat Defense vs Fortinet FortiSandbox

What is McAfee Advanced Threat Defense?

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense enables organizations to detect advanced, evasive malware and convert threat information into immediate action and protection. Unlike traditional sandboxes, it includes additional inspection capabilities that broaden detection and expose evasive threats. Tight integration between security solutions - from network and endpoint to investigation - enables instant sharing of threat information across the environment, enhancing protection and investigation. Flexible deployment options support every network.

Download the Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense Customers

The Radicati Group, Florida International University, MGM Resorts International, County Durham and
Darlington NHS Foundation Trust

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense Video

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense Reviews

Manoj Nair
Tech Specialist at Select Softwares
Can rapidly disseminate attack information to all clients

• "Its greatest strength is the DXL client which can rapidly disseminate attack information to all clients via the McAfee Agent instead of going through the ePO server."
  • "Make the ATD system a part of the whole product and take the whole thing onto the cloud. While it is there already, it is not to the same level as the on-premise version."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case: malware blockage. If you remember WannaCry, this system stopped it dead in its tracks with zero system failures. If you recall WannaCry hit on the weekend. I updated the rules from home on my ePO server and more than 200 machines were on during the weekend. When I checked the logs on Monday morning, at least 50,000 hits were registered in the logs with zero system failures. Its greatest strength is the DXL client which can rapidly disseminate attack information to all clients via the McAfee Agent instead of going through the ePO server.

How has it helped my organization?

Even though I did not have the ATD device, it still is a pretty solid defense. As of 2020, they have integrated the DXL client into the ePO Agent, hence it has simplified the number of products to be installed on the system. It is not a lightweight system, but it is ironclad.

What is most valuable?

The entire system is valuable by having multiple components superbly united to function as a malware defender. If a system admin can put in the patience to read and constantly update the ePO system in terms of rules, enforcing them at regular intervals, you can safely go to sleep every night.

What needs improvement?

Make the ATD appliance a part of the whole product offering and take the whole thing onto the cloud. While it is there already, it is not to the same level as the on-premise version.

McAfee sells the ATD APPLIANCE AS A SEPARATE PRODUCT above the rest of the threat defence mechanism stated above. Im not sure of exact cloud readiness status of the ATD device ( making the device available on the cloud as part of the licensed products ). Request to check with McAfee account manager in your country/region

I used it in my earlier organisation and deployed the full system, except for the ATD appliance. This was last April and the system has seen some more feature upgrades and enhancements.

Quite impressive

Very scalable for the versions available

Top notch . Im in Inda and we have the tech support centre running out of Bangalore

Excellent support from McAfee

In house - I did I myself

100% worth the money thrown at it

Costing is competitive now that Symantec has almost stepped out of this arena the completion has changed with other players coming up.

What other advice do I have?

LM
Cybersecurity Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great data exfiltration and very easy to use

• "Provides good exfiltration, and is an all-in-one product."
  • "Lacks remote capabilities not dependent on the internet."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is our go-to for your basic antivirus scans. Most of the stuff that we have is standalone. It's all pooled from McAfee, we buy the license for whatever tool the customer wants use to use, and we install it on the product. I'm a manager at the company.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use and requires little to no training. It has good exfiltration, and is an all-in-one product.

What needs improvement?

Some of our customers have mentioned the lack of a tool that would allow for remote capabilities without being attached to the internet. They've been looking at opportunities to set up their own networks and they'd like to use McAfee and other cyber tools strictly through that and not rely on the internet to run them.

I haven't had any issues with stability.

The solution is scalable although we don't use it to its full potential.

What other advice do I have?

This is a tool that's well known and a tool that most people know how to use. It's easily installed and procured. I've never had any issues but we're a company that has a limitation on the amount of different tools we can use. There may be something better out there, but I haven't seen that yet.

I rate this product an eight out of 10.