McAfee Advanced Threat Defense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiSandbox: McAfee Advanced Threat Defense vs Fortinet FortiSandbox

What is McAfee Advanced Threat Defense?

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense enables organizations to detect advanced, evasive malware and convert threat information into immediate action and protection. Unlike traditional sandboxes, it includes additional inspection capabilities that broaden detection and expose evasive threats. Tight integration between security solutions - from network and endpoint to investigation - enables instant sharing of threat information across the environment, enhancing protection and investigation. Flexible deployment options support every network.

Download the Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense Customers

The Radicati Group, Florida International University, MGM Resorts International, County Durham and
Darlington NHS Foundation Trust

McAfee Advanced Threat Defense Video

Archived McAfee Advanced Threat Defense Reviews (more than two years old)

MR
Programming Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Provides visibility of network events, but would benefit from AI technology

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is the detection of threats.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows for visibility of events in our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the administration console and its detection and response module.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see future versions of the solution incorporate artificial intelligence technology.

One year.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is the detection of threats.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows for visibility of events in our network.

One year.
Chuck Bartenbach
CISO at W.L.Gore
Protects the endpoints of our organization but it is not cloud ready

• "It stops in excess of twenty-five malware events per month, all of which could be critical to the business."
  • "This solution needs to be made "cloud ready"."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is endpoint security.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us to deal with malware. It does endpoint security very well and can explode malware into protected spaces so that it doesn't actually hurt the endpoint of the organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us, today, is that it works very well.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to be made "cloud ready". As the industry is pushing everybody towards the cloud, there are these fat clients, like McAfee, that are not lightweight and cannot handle the cloud infrastructure yet.

More than three years.

The stability of this solution is very good.

With respect to scalability, it works until you start talking about cloud environments.

I would rate technical support very well.

I did use a different solution prior to this one, and I switched because of the dynamics in the industry. They had not caught up.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We handled the deployment of this solution internally.

I see ROI. It stops in excess of twenty-five malware events per month, all of which could be critical to the business.

Our licensing fees for this solution are approximately one million dollars per year.

What other advice do I have?

This product does the job, but it is not flexible enough to do new environments yet. They're behind the eight ball.

If another company is considering this solution then I would recommend it if they're not going cloud. If they are, look somewhere else.

I would rate this solution seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, FireEye and others in Advanced Threat Protection (ATP). Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JM
User at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The product is very scalable, but the customer service responsiveness is not there with smaller companies

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for networking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is networking.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a simplified deployment. So, it would not need to reconfigure a bunch of other things to get the product integrated. The Cisco networking products could be improved upon.

The stability is above average in the industry. For reliability, I would rate them as an eight or nine out of ten.

It is very scalable.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for networking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is networking.

What needs improvement?

The Cisco networking products could be improved upon.

It is very scalable.

The support on their side is not readily available. It takes a while. The customer service responsiveness is not there with smaller companies.

They are generally reliable versus other vendors who we have gone with in the past. However, when something does happen, they are very slow to respond. Now, it is less frequent than it was previously.

The initial setup was industry standard complex. It takes awhile and has a lot of planning involved. It could be simplified with product redesign.

We did it in-house.

The product is expensive, but it is better than the rest of them in the industry.

What other advice do I have?

The version that I am working with is a pain in the butt.

AG
IT at a security firm
The features I find most valuable are: management, remediation of threats and successful threat detection.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for protection of server and desktop workstations.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable are: the management, the ability for automatic remediation of threats and it can successfully detect a threat, and to act upon it.

What needs improvement?

I think maybe a simpler interface might help. And a better integration with the active directory and to integrate with directory services.

Less than one year.

It is stable. I do not have any system items that I need to take care of.

Technical support was helpful for what I needed.

It…

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for protection of server and desktop workstations.

Less than one year.

It is stable. I do not have any system items that I need to take care of.

Technical support was helpful for what I needed.

It was not complex, but there are things to look out for, because it's an intense product. It scans intensely. And there are major obstacles to overcome if it scans while users are using a network, then it is not a good thing. And they should emphasize it more. It would be nice if they could try to have it a little more lightweight. For, it is interfering.

This wasn't my first choice, but I ended up choosing it. I have previous experience with Symantec Advanced Threat Protection.