McAfee Endpoint Security Overview

McAfee Endpoint Security is the #12 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to Symantec End-User Endpoint Security: McAfee Endpoint Security vs Symantec End-User Endpoint Security

What is McAfee Endpoint Security?

McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection allows you to protect all of your devices with intelligent, collaborative security, in one easy-to-manage, integrated solution. Our integrated endpoint security framework helps remove redundancies, enables fast, proven performance and offers an architecture to align both current and future security investments. With a flexible choice of cloud-based or a local management console, security administrators also get true centralized management that simplifies ongoing tasks, deployment and monitoring.

McAfee Endpoint Security is also known as McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection, McAfee Endpoint Protection, Total Protection for Endpoint, Intel Security Total Protection for Endpoint, MCAFEE Complete Endpoint Protection.

McAfee Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

McAfee Endpoint Security Customers

inHouseIT, Seagate Technology

McAfee Endpoint Security Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Endpoint Security pricing:
  • "Pricing is reasonable and runs at a cost per user per year."
  • "The pricing is great and licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis."

McAfee Endpoint Security Reviews

Owais Yousuf
Solution Architect Security at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jul 5, 2019
Enterprise endpoint security offerings are centrally managed and defend against the full threat spectrum from zero-day exploits to advanced targeted attacks.

• "It has a very simple like multi-tenancy option and scalability is outstanding."
  • "Support-wise they need to be better."

What other advice do I have?

There are many other endpoint security solutions that are available today, but McAfee Suite has several distinct advantages when you make a procurement decision. For example: * All of the information, data, malware signature profiles, intelligence gathering, alerts, warnings and so on can be accessed and viewed very easily from just one console * You do not have to overspend on security technology, because all of the features described earlier comes as one unified, cohesive set. McAfee Suite also leverages all of the existing security features of the operating systems and virtualized…
reviewer1383249
IT Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Feb 19, 2021
Protect your business against a wide variety of threats

What is our primary use case?

We currently have around 50 servers. We aren't really a big company but we have 50 servers which we manage. We use McAfee for the web filtering portion of it. For example, if a user is doing a search on Google, there's a risk-rating web content filter built into McAfee. This alerts us if there are any threats present. We have licensed McAfee ENS on a per-server basis. As of now, from memory, I think we have 56 endpoints running McAfee — 56 servers in total.

• "It's quite easy to install agents."
  • "With McAfee, if there is a zero-day vulnerability, you have to download the patch for it from the McAfee website, then apply it to your endpoint."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. McAfee is a good product. I worked with Symantec, but personally, I think McAfee is better. However, in my opinion, now having worked with CylancePROTECT and OPTICS, I think CylancePROTECT and OPTICS are on another level. Still, we have been working with McAfee for nearly 10 years and I feel it's a very good product. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give McAfee a rating of eight.
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1162608
VP - Cyber Security at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 1, 2020
Very scalable and easy to manage but package size is too large

What is our primary use case?

The solution has three primary uses for us. Our environment is Windows-based. We don't have Mac and very little space for Linux systems. We use the solution on all of our Windows devices as a basic antivirus protection. That's our first use case. The second use case for the solution is to be able to have USB restrictions on my endpoints. And the third would be the protection of machines when, especially now in this COVID-19 climate, users connect from home. There are a lot of network-based attacks. When users are connecting from other networks, they're protected from dangers with this solution

• "The manageability of the product itself is its most valuable aspect. You have the underlying EPO, and on top of it, you can deploy the various components as you require. This is unlike other solutions like Symantec where you have to deploy everything or nothing. With this solution, you can choose to only deploy antivirus or only deploy a firewall, or only something else. I choose the components and that deployment is done through EPO. It makes manageability very flexible."
  • "There are two main areas that require improvement. One is the size of the packages. Although I'll admit manageability is good, if I want to deploy, let's say just the antivirus or just the firewall, each of those package sizes are quite large. They are sometimes as big as 200MB or 250MB. When I have operations in remote areas where connectivity is always poor, it's difficult. To deploy such a package in a remote location over the internet or something like that is always challenging."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise, if somebody's looking at buying a brand new solution fresh or have a solution coming up for renewal, to look at the next generation antivirus products. The next-generation products are far more sophisticated. They might be a little higher in price, but in terms of manageability, updates, and the packet size, they are far superior. McAfee has released something called Envision. It's a next-generation antivirus. In this other solution, they have incorporated a lot of next-generation technologies. It's a different license and a higher-priced license altogether. Overall, I would…
reviewer1383900
Senior Project Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 30, 2020
Has the ability to check a wide range of vulnerabilities and devices

What is our primary use case?

This product is mainly used for detecting viruses and malware on the laptops and also to scan older, existing files.

• "This product has the capability to check a wide range of vulnerabilities and devices."
  • "The product could do more to keep administration alerted to detected threats on endpoints."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend McAfee VirusScan to everyone in an enterprise environment. Part of the reason is that nowadays everyone is working from home. Their systems and devices have to be secure when they are connecting externally to the internal network with whatever device they are using. They should have at least one security solution in their system so that they can avoid vulnerabilities that they may encounter outside of the secure internal network. VirusScan ensures that is happening. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate McAfee VirusScan Enterprise as a…
Manuel Ochoa
Support Security Engineer at TECNASA
Mar 1, 2021
An endpoint security solution with a valuable threat prevention feature.

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company that is a McAfee partner. We sell the solution, and we have engineers that implement the solutions. Basically, I am part of the technical staff that implements the solution on-premise. We use endpoint security for our clients. We configure policies to scan the computer every single day in some cases and every week or even every moment. Basically, it protects the endpoint, and we have policies to do advanced threat protection.

• "Threat prevention is valuable because most clients use other solutions like antivirus as part of web protection. I don't find that kind of solution useful."
  • "The local technical support could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that the client needs to be aware of what McAfee can do for them. If the engineer can implement the solution, he'll just follow the book, and he's not going to get the best experience from the product. To not impact the computer or the endpoint's performance, you need to finetune the policies. If the engineer doesn't have that kind of experience, you won't get the best out of the product. The client needs to get an engineer with a lot of performance tuning experience to get the most out of the product. On a scale from one to ten, I would give McAfee Endpoint Security a nine.
VarinderKUMAR
CISO at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 27, 2020
Very stable solution with good value but lacks easy cloud compatibility

What is our primary use case?

McAfee Endpoint Security can be used for threat protection, for malware protection, and for data loss prevention by encrypting the end user devices using full depth encryption. We are using the latest version minus two because we generally update the antivirus to the current version after testing it. So generally it is two versions behind. We have three versions in our network, one is the latest version, then we have a minus one on critical machines and minus two on the endpoints.

• "I think the costing is fine compared to other products. Cost-wise you definitely get value for your money."
  • "We would like to see all the features available on cloud."

What other advice do I have?

We have already recommended it. On a scale of one to ten I would rate McAfee Endpoint Security as a seven.
reviewer1189566
IT Engineer with 51-200 employees
Dec 31, 2020
Provides good visibility, supports drive encryption, and the threat intelligence capability improves overall security

• "It provides a lot of information and great visibility, with really great options for managing the environment."
  • "The vendor should simplify the way they bundle the products because it's very hard to explain to customers what products contain which features."

What other advice do I have?

In general, it is a really great product and I recommend it. I don't have any objections and most of the users only use perhaps 25% of the features that are available. I cannot remember a time that I needed a feature and it wasn't available in the console. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Beşir Kayar
Consultant and Founder of Company at Viznet Bilişim Hizmetleri Tic. Ltd. Şti
Jul 22, 2019
Offers powerful management tools and has good integration abilities

• "When Intel acquired McAfee they worked on the protocol so that all vendors can work on the same platform. It's a very big improvement in McAfee. All McAfee products talk to each other. Other vendor's products can join this platform as well so it makes it more powerful on the enterprise side for McAfee."
  • "The initial setup is complex. It is a very complex product. You must have experience with it."

What other advice do I have?

Everything has been simplified. On the endpoint side, there is also a lot of improvement. When Intel acquired McAfee they worked on the protocol so that all vendors can work on the same platform. It's a very big improvement in McAfee. All McAfee products talk to each other. Other vendor's products can join this platform as well so it makes it more powerful on the enterprise side for McAfee. With a knowledgeable technician that has a lot of experience with the product, you won't have problems. If you work with a less experienced person, implementing the solution can become a problem. I would…
See 14 more McAfee Endpoint Security Reviews
Download our free McAfee Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.