McAfee Endpoint Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Endpoint Security is the #13 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to McAfee MVISION Endpoint: McAfee Endpoint Security vs McAfee MVISION Endpoint

What is McAfee Endpoint Security?

McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection allows you to protect all of your devices with intelligent, collaborative security, in one easy-to-manage, integrated solution. Our integrated endpoint security framework helps remove redundancies, enables fast, proven performance and offers an architecture to align both current and future security investments. With a flexible choice of cloud-based or a local management console, security administrators also get true centralized management that simplifies ongoing tasks, deployment and monitoring.

McAfee Endpoint Security is also known as McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection, McAfee Endpoint Protection, Total Protection for Endpoint, Intel Security Total Protection for Endpoint, MCAFEE Complete Endpoint Protection.

McAfee Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

McAfee Endpoint Security Customers

inHouseIT, Seagate Technology

McAfee Endpoint Security Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Endpoint Security pricing:
  • "Pricing is reasonable and runs at a cost per user per year."
  • "We pay 650 Rand for a license. It is a perpetual license which we normally run for two years."
  • "McAfee's prices are flexible and can be quite competitive, although there are other solutions that are even more so."
  • "We pay for the license on an annual basis."

McAfee Endpoint Security Reviews

LS
IT Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Protect your business against a wide variety of threats

• "It's quite easy to install agents."
  • "With McAfee, if there is a zero-day vulnerability, you have to download the patch for it from the McAfee website, then apply it to your endpoint."

What is our primary use case?

We currently have around 50 servers. We aren't really a big company but we have 50 servers which we manage. We use McAfee for the web filtering portion of it. For example, if a user is doing a search on Google, there's a risk-rating web content filter built into McAfee. This alerts us if there are any threats present.

We have licensed McAfee ENS on a per-server basis. As of now, from memory, I think we have 56 endpoints running McAfee — 56 servers in total.

What is most valuable?

From the McAfee side, I really like the ePolicy Orchestrator software that allows us to manage all of our endpoints. You can create the deployment policies and whenever there is a new update — a new version of the ENS Agent, or threat protection — we could test it out in the evaluation branch, and even test it on some of our servers.

It's quite easy to manage. Quite intuitive. I would say the dashboard of ePolicy Orchestrator software is quite intuitive and quite easy to understand and manage.

I have been using this solution for 15 to 20 years.

We have had some issues from the performance side of things, especially when we were deploying new types of software. Sometimes the consumption of resources from McAfee was a bit high. Afterward, these problems were resolved gradually in future versions of McAfee. From what I've read from the release notes, in regard to the handling of memory, McAfee has been doing a better job, which wasn't really the case in the early years.

It's easily scalable. If I need to deploy the Agent over 800 endpoints, I just have to script it and run a group policy to deploy it to all of our computers on the network — it's quite easy.

For day-to-day management and ongoing queries, if ever I didn't have the solution to queries, I would just raise the case to the case management section of the McAfee website. Then the McAfee support team would help me out.

I was definitely satisfied with the support team. I really can't complain. They always sent me the correct knowledge-based article and they provided really insightful information to help me find a resolution to the issue.

At the previous company that I worked for, we used Symantec Endpoint Protection. Now, we are working with CylancePROTECT and OPTICS.

The main reason that we moved from McAfee to Cylance is that McAfee is still a signature-based product. We moved to Cylance, a signatureless-based product, where everything is updated. What I was doing, from an ENS product point stance, I had set reminders to myself and my team to update the Agent and look into the software repository to see if there were any updates every month.

Indeed, every month we had software updates and fixing restrictions. It wasn't good but I now have less of a hard time looking into this from a Cylance perspective as the Cylance library doesn't push one-minute software updates per year. I would say at most, two or three software updates a year, which is very, very small from a software update perspective in comparison to McAfee.

They're both good products. I'm not saying McAfee is a bad product. It's a very, very good product. It's mainly for these reasons that we moved to Cylance.

The ePolicy Orchestrator console is good, but from my side, I would say Cylance has a better artificial intelligence module — the OPTICS module which I would say is the way to go. I haven't really seen the trend in terms of what other companies other than McAfee or Symantec are doing, but Cylance is doing a really good job with this artificial intelligence module. It's great when it comes to notifying the team when it detects something malicious.

With McAfee, if there is a zero-day vulnerability, you have to download the patch for it from the McAfee website, then apply it to your endpoint. With Cylance, it's not like that. Each agent does it by itself — it's like a self-healing application. This is something that signature-based antivirus solutions like McAfee and Symantec didn't have until now, unfortunately. That's why we moved towards Cylance.

It's quite easy to install agents. Deployment and product updates are quite easy, as well. It goes without saying that it comes with some, I would say, low-level training and upscaling but these are easily retrievable from the knowledge base of McAfee.

We manually downloaded their AMCore versions to keep all our endpoints up to date. This way, whenever we troubleshoot the root cause of an issue, we still keep our endpoints as updated as possible and keep our environment safe.

When we installed the Agent — let's say I am building a new VM and new server. When you run the frame package, it's really intense. I would say it takes roughly two minutes to install, then afterward, to install the ENS modules, like the threat protection and web filtering packages, you've got to go through the ePolicy Orchestrator management console. I would say, all in all, it takes roughly 10 minutes.

To get it up to date, to download everything, all the packages, the software updates, and all of the AMCore DAT files as well as the virus definitions, it's quite easy. It doesn't take much time at all.

For deployment, I worked with one external consultant.

Initially, when I came to the company, I didn't really have a background or any experience managing McAfee. I came from more of a Symantec background but I gained some knowledge from one of our external consultants who really had a deep understanding of McAfee products and their deployment. We had some training sessions and then I could manage the McAfee forum on my own. After a week's worth of training, I could manage McAfee on my own.

We had McAfee on a year renewal. We purchased it initially and then we renewed it on a yearly basis. I think the only reason we are renewing the license is for support reasons.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. McAfee is a good product. I worked with Symantec, but personally, I think McAfee is better.

However, in my opinion, now having worked with CylancePROTECT and OPTICS, I think  CylancePROTECT and OPTICS are on another level. Still, we have been working with McAfee for nearly 10 years and I feel it's a very good product.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give McAfee a rating of eight.

VK
VP - Cyber Security at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very scalable and easy to manage but package size is too large

• "The manageability of the product itself is its most valuable aspect. You have the underlying EPO, and on top of it, you can deploy the various components as you require. This is unlike other solutions like Symantec where you have to deploy everything or nothing. With this solution, you can choose to only deploy antivirus or only deploy a firewall, or only something else. I choose the components and that deployment is done through EPO. It makes manageability very flexible."
  • "There are two main areas that require improvement. One is the size of the packages. Although I'll admit manageability is good, if I want to deploy, let's say just the antivirus or just the firewall, each of those package sizes are quite large. They are sometimes as big as 200MB or 250MB. When I have operations in remote areas where connectivity is always poor, it's difficult. To deploy such a package in a remote location over the internet or something like that is always challenging."

What is our primary use case?

The solution has three primary uses for us.

Our environment is Windows-based. We don't have Mac and very little space for Linux systems. We use the solution on all of our Windows devices as a basic antivirus protection. That's our first use case.

The second use case for the solution is to be able to have USB restrictions on my endpoints.

And the third would be the protection of machines when, especially now in this COVID-19 climate, users connect from home. There are a lot of network-based attacks. When users are connecting from other networks, they're protected from dangers with this solution

What is most valuable?

The manageability of the product itself is its most valuable aspect. You have the underlying EPO, and on top of it, you can deploy the various components as you require. This is unlike other solutions like Symantec where you have to deploy everything or nothing. With this solution, you can choose to only deploy antivirus or only deploy a firewall, or only something else. I choose the components and that deployment is done through EPO. It makes manageability very flexible.

What needs improvement?

There are two main areas that require improvement. One is the size of the packages. Although I'll admit manageability is good, if I want to deploy, let's say just the antivirus or just the firewall, each of those package sizes are quite large. They are sometimes as big as 200MB or 250MB. When I have operations in remote areas where connectivity is always poor, it's difficult. To deploy such a package in a remote location over the internet or something like that is always challenging.

The second improvement I would like to see would be to make the speed of the updates much faster. I've seen other vendors that have already released an update for new ransomware and yet McAfee has not. They seem to generally delay releasing an update to protect against something, which can be dangerous as it gives malicious content time to spread.

I've been using the product for almost two years at this point.

I would say on a scale of one to 10, the scalability would rate at an eight. It's not perfect and there's room for improvement. However, it's generally been stable for us.

We've seen some versions of McAfee not functioning correctly. Then, suddenly, we had to put in a patch. Occasionally, the notes are not there and when we raise a ticket with the support they came back and say, "Oh no, no, this version has a bug, you guys will need to move to a new version."

The scalability of the solution is good. We've actually scaled up, so we can speak from experience. We initially rolled out to a smaller set of users and then eventually to our entire base. We've scaled up to about 15,000 users at this point. There were no issues in doing so. It's quite straightforward to expand outwards as needed.

Technical support I would say is average. A lot of times we've gotten standard responses from support. They don't really offer a solution. The responses that we have gotten from support is something that we have already tried or they'll simply tell us to move to the next version. That requires us to deploy to 15,000 users. They don't go out of their way to be helpful.

We've always used McAfee. There never has been another solution that the organization has tried out.

I personally have worked with a few other solutions. I'm not talking about next-generation products, like a CrowdStrike or a Carpenter due to the fact that they are a different league altogether. However, I would say I've had extensive experience with Symantec also.

In terms of Symantec versus McAfee, the two big differences are that on McAfee I am able to scale quite well and now, especially with users who are connecting from home, I can see users' statuses over the internet. That way, we can check the health of the machine and update machines remotely. That isn't the case of Symantec. Unless the user connects to back to the office VPN we will not be able to do as much.

However, where McAfee falters is the size of the modules, which are quite large.

The initial setup was simple and the deployment itself was straightforward. The was no complexity in terms of the architecture or the initial deployment of the solution.

I came into the organization when McAfee was already deployed. However, I've set up some other packages. For example, although McAfee was already deployed, the USB blocking features module, took about two months I would say to deploy across the network.

We have a team of approximately four people the deploy patches and updates and generally maintain the solution.

We deployed the solution ourselves and continue to deploy any ancillary modules on our own as well. We don't need the outside assistance of consultants or integrators. We have a team that manages these items in house.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise, if somebody's looking at buying a brand new solution fresh or have a solution coming up for renewal, to look at the next generation antivirus products. The next-generation products are far more sophisticated. They might be a little higher in price, but in terms of manageability, updates, and the packet size, they are far superior.

McAfee has released something called Envision. It's a next-generation antivirus. In this other solution, they have incorporated a lot of next-generation technologies. It's a different license and a higher-priced license altogether.

Overall, I would rate this solution seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about McAfee Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manuel Ochoa
Support Security Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
An endpoint security solution with a valuable threat prevention feature

• "Threat prevention is valuable because most clients use other solutions like antivirus as part of web protection. I don't find that kind of solution useful."
  • "The local technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company that is a McAfee partner. We sell the solution, and we have engineers that implement the solutions. Basically, I am part of the technical staff that implements the solution on-premise.

We use endpoint security for our clients. We configure policies to scan the computer every single day in some cases and every week or even every moment. Basically, it protects the endpoint, and we have policies to do advanced threat protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to the implementation of this tool, we have managed to avoid massive virus infection, have visibility into console events and be able to implement action plans to contain threats.

What is most valuable?

Threat prevention is valuable because most clients use other solutions like antivirus as part of web protection. I don't find that kind of solution useful. We use the firewall to protect the client's network or even blocks and some kind of traffic that the computer received. The ATP model, I think, is one of the most important features because it can protect the computer when an application doesn't work as expected. It will alert and send messages to the ePO, and we can see everything.

What needs improvement?

The local technical support could be better. It would also help if the engineers can develop some automation features for the on-prem ePO. For example, in the on-prem ePO, you can store the endpoint using the IP address or using text, or using the default version. But in the MVISION ePO, you don't have that kind of feature. It's complicated to sort the endpoint because you have to do it manually.

I also think the detailed level of the detection could be better. In some cases, it's very complicated to figure out which file is the one that is actually impacted, depending on the dashboard you see. The dashboard is one of the most important things in the ePO because it's where you can see everything in a central location. But sometimes, you need to change from one view to another view to find what you're looking for.

I have been using McAfee Endpoint Security for about three years.

It's very stable. It works as expected, and I am very happy with this solution.

This is a very flexible product. It can be installed on a single physical or virtual server, or well installed on a windows cluster, and if you want to explore other modes it can also be implemented in the AWS cloud or as a SAAS.

In some cases, if the report comes from India or America, it's basically an open and shut case. But if the support comes from Latin America, you probably have to scale that problem to another area or another region. You need a person that has more experience with the product.

The initial setup can be both straightforward or complex. Some documentation on clients is very slow. Basically, we spent time implementing the ePO version because sometimes the database from the ePO is too big, and we need to do some things to the database to shrink the space, and it doesn't always work as expected. Sometimes, we have to follow one, two, or three steps to get the data and various scenarios to increase the number of steps because troubleshooting wasn't working.

If we implement MVISION, eventually, it would take around three hours because we have to install the software on the server. We have to do all the upgrades and implement some upgrades to the ePO software. Basically, it's three hours, but it can take five to six hours, depending on the data's size.

We implement this solution for our customers. If you are an engineer, and you have the experience, you can do it. If someone doesn't have experience with the OS, with Windows, or with the product, you might need specialized engineers.

For the issue of implementation costs, you require that the partner you use has qualified personnel to carry out this activity or you can use the professional services of McAfee, but these can be somewhat expensive.

Our clients ask us about other solutions like Cylance. I have one client that uses CrowdStrike. If you compare Cylance and McAfee Endpoint Security, the main difference is support.

McAfee is excellent. You can ask any questions, and with a couple of clicks, you will find the answer to the issue. If you don't find it, you can open a support ticket. Sometimes, the McAfee solutions are very complex to configure. Just in some topics, but on the other hand, very simple to configure.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that the client needs to be aware of what McAfee can do for them. If the engineer can implement the solution, he'll just follow the book, and he's not going to get the best experience from the product.

To not impact the computer or the endpoint's performance, you need to finetune the policies. If the engineer doesn't have that kind of experience, you won't get the best out of the product. The client needs to get an engineer with a lot of performance tuning experience to get the most out of the product.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give McAfee Endpoint Security a nine.

Hybrid Cloud

NR
Senior Project Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has the ability to check a wide range of vulnerabilities and devices

• "This product has the capability to check a wide range of vulnerabilities and devices."
  • "The product could do more to keep administration alerted to detected threats on endpoints."

What is our primary use case?

This product is mainly used for detecting viruses and malware on the laptops and also to scan older, existing files.

What is most valuable?

The ability to check a wide range of vulnerabilities and devices is a very valuable feature in this product. This is not really a user interface or manually driven product. VirusScan gives an alert to the user that a scan should be performed on their device and the user has to click it to initiate the scan. Then McAfee scans the device and it gives a report saying that it has run a scan of the system and now everything is fine. It runs for the user rather than manual scanning.

What needs improvement?

We are using it so the company is providing better security coverage end-to-end. I am not sure how to improve on that because it already achieves that goal and updates constantly.

One thing I think it should do is alert administration if some attack is happening in local systems. I am not seeing that kind of alert. When users run a scan on their own system and nothing is found, that is fine. But ideally, VirusScan also has to send a notification of the source of an attack if one is detected.

For example, if the threat came from opening an email attachment, an alert could be broadcast to warn other users on the system not to open the same attachment and McAfee could do that automatically. Something like that. Or at least it should make a report or alert for the administrator so that they can take the proper action.

For the last six to eight years we have been using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.

The stability of the solution is fine, actually, and we are satisfied. It does not have a problem working with the 10,000+ users in our organization. It checks and updates everything every day and the stability is there.

The scalability with McAfee is good. We currently have about 10,000 laptops which we are using it to secure. It is globally distributed and everybody uses the data scanning to ensure data security is a high priority.

The people are using it with roles that range from the top to the bottom of the corporation. It is mandatory to use McAfee to ensure that we are in compliance with security regulations as well as preventing data loss on our local systems.

We have plans to increase the usage of this product as the employee base and the number of devices increases.

I did not have a chance to interact with the technical support team at McAfee because our local internal IT takes care of everything when it comes to the maintenance. Some issues that we have occur because the product is not upgrading locally for whatever reason. Our IT people will handle that type of minor support issue for us.

As far as I know, before this company used McAfee VirusScan as a solution for these past six to seven years, there was not another endpoint security protection product in place.

The initial setup is straightforward for the administration. The end-user should not have to do anything. There is an automatic trigger and it scans devices on the network along with their files and automatically generates a report. That is all there is to it. It is updated through the central station which tracks the upgrades and the devices that it scans.

The implementation is kind of done in incremental steps because it is a cloud solution. It is just being pushed from the system to the central location. The agent runs on every laptop and we either manually click it when it issues a notice that it is time to scan the device, or it triggers by itself. It automatically runs these processes without intervention.

As always, the cost of the licenses has to be paid and it will be per user per year. But the cost is minimal because we have taken a sort of deal with McAfee for a site license.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend McAfee VirusScan to everyone in an enterprise environment. Part of the reason is that nowadays everyone is working from home. Their systems and devices have to be secure when they are connecting externally to the internal network with whatever device they are using. They should have at least one security solution in their system so that they can avoid vulnerabilities that they may encounter outside of the secure internal network. VirusScan ensures that is happening.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate McAfee VirusScan Enterprise as a nine-out-of-ten. It is a very good solution and gives good blanket protection.

AM
IT Security Specialist at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Stable with good technical support and very good threat prevention capabilities

• "The product is quite user-friendly."
  • "Users can just install software into their computers. We need some sort of application control system that, if there are any pieces of software that are not whitelisted, then the solution could flag it or maybe alert the administers. That would be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution for threat detection. It's for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty good for threat prevention, web protection, adaptive threat protection, and other tasks.

The solution is very stable.

We have had a good experience dealing with technical support.

The product is quite user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we have the threat prevention as well as the web protection, and the McAfee firewall, which we were using before, however, we have not installed it on any of our machines. We have disabled it due to the fact that a lot of stuff was being blocked, it was blocking a lot of internal stuff, which meant it needed some fine-tuning. We were supposed to fine-tune it so that we can recognize our items, however, we're still working on that.

We wanted an EDR solution, and our first option was McAfee as the EDR would go hand in hand with the Endpoint integration. We'd like McAfee to offer stronger security. It's not that it isn't strong right now, however, it needs to continue to improve as attacks are always evolving. We are concerned some attacks may be able to find a way to bypass McAfee. If the solution offered something that could detect better, it would be ideal. It would add more value to what is already in place.

I know that they have application control and all the like. The one feature that maybe is lacking is a different module for the antivirus, however, we have a lot of applications that are running in our environment that were not authorized.

Users can just install software into their computers. We need some sort of application control system that, if there are any pieces of software that are not whitelisted, then the solution could flag it or maybe alert the administers. That would be very helpful.

I joined the organization a little while back in 2016 and when I got here they were already using McAfee product. Therefore, I've been using the solution for a few years now.

We've found the solution to be quite stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's quite reliable.

We haven't tried scaling it to as normally the license that we buy, we buy for 650 Rand and at this point, we haven't even tried adding more to try and scale it to that.

The tech support has been superb. You log a call. Sometimes we are in a different time zone when we log a service request. However, they are very responsive. I was on the line with them a few hours ago and they were helping me with an issue I was having. We are currently in the process of consolidating our SQL servers. We want them to be running from a centralized server instead of having different SQL servers scattered all over the place. Technical support is really great at helping us with the process.

While I wasn't at the company for the original implementation, looking at it, it's not that complex of a process. When I got here, we were using the lower version and then we've just upgraded it and used a higher version level. The process wasn't difficult. We upgraded to 10.5, 10.6, now we are on 10.7.

We pay 650 Rand for a license. It is a perpetual license which we normally run for two years. It will be expiring sometime in July and our renewal is normally for two years.

When we are looking at the pricing, nobody will ever say the pricing is bad. Normally what we do is we'll take quotes from different local partners, as McAfee doesn't allow us to buy direct from them. Therefore, we typically deal with resellers.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with McAfee.

We are a central bank and one of the things that we haven't really experienced or gone into is putting our solutions into the cloud - even though everything is moving in that direction. We are moving slowly in that direction as well. We'll get there one day.

I have found this solution easy to use. When you need support, you get it. Even in terms of protection, it's fine. I would recommend it to other users.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Obaseun Awoyinfa
Security Consultant at CS Africa
Reseller
A high detection rate for a solution that is always improving

• "The detection is great and the solution is constantly improving."
  • "It would be nice if the solution were to allow not just on-cloud management, but on-premises, as well."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version at the moment because I'm managed by the MVISION tenants.

In the past, many people had issues with the utilization of detections and resources. ENS is actually very good for detection. When properly configured, especially when the prevention feature is activated, it integrates very well with the ATP, in respect of the endpoint. ATP offers very good protection and is a rich solution which helps to remove ransomware. I've been using the product for a while now and been able to secure a lot of environmental ransomware attacks, as well as some others, by integrating the ATP with the ENS.

What is most valuable?

It is of primary importance that the solution does not cripple my system. When an endpoint is sitting on one's computer a struggle ensues involving resources, since the endpoint is actually scanning. At present, it either does not do so or is not noticeable. The detection rate is very high and one can be certain that he is not getting false positives, since he can see if the policy is properly configured.

The detection is great and the solution is constantly improving.

What needs improvement?

I have been using McAfee Endpoint Security for a couple of years. I started with Virus Scan and moved to MVISION when it was introduced. I used ENS when it was made available. While I cannot remember for certain, I believe I have been using the solution since 2015 or 2016. I still use it.

The solution is very stable. Proper configuration means that we have not had issues with the stability. When all is said and done, the landscape is shifting towards one involving EDR, which is necessary for one to feel he has complete endpoint protection.

The solution is scalable.

While there is a need to utilize technical support, I feel it to be fair. Overall, support will point one in a certain, or appropriate, direction, although they will occasionally ask that the person solve the problem on his own. The process may take longer if the issue involves the product. Proper escalation can shorten the resolution process. While I have occasionally had to solve the problem by myself, more often than not the support is very helpful and reliable, especially of late.

The deployment is simple and very straightforward, including when one wishes to deploy in the cloud.

Deployment can be handled on one's own. Most deployments are the same. When deploying in the cloud, there is only a need to click several times on the link that is sent. There's nothing to it. Anybody can actually do the installation. It's very straightforward.

We are distributors although, as an engineer, I handle everything, including integration.

McAfee's prices are flexible and can be quite competitive, although there are other solutions that are even more so. Most end-users don't focus on which solution is better, but on which one is most cost-effective.

Our customers must pay for the licensing involved in using the solution, which they do so annually. Yet, the majority of our customers deploy the solution on-premises, which means their licenses are perpetual. There is still a need to pay for support, however, and this must be renewed annually.

What other advice do I have?

The solution does a fine job of integration.

It is deployed in the cloud.

My organization is very big. Like I said, we're systems integrators. As we are a distribution company, I am in a position to speak from a technical point of view. I've actually seen environments that reach 16,000. I did the deployment for a bank in Ghana, which is under the management of the Pan-African Bank and is responsible for management throughout all of Africa, save for Nigeria. This involved around 15,000 nodes. There is another bank in Nigeria with between 4,000 to 6,000 nodes and still others with around 12,000.

I would definitely recommend this solution to other users. Leaving aside the fact that I sell this solution, when it comes to endpoint security solutions the world over, McAfee is one of the best, if not the best.

ZA
Junior Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
A stable antivirus solution, but consumes too much memory and CPU resources

• "The solution is stable."
  • "We don't like the solution since it requires much memory consumption and consumes much CPU resources."

What is our primary use case?

We are using ePO Center Server to communicate with all the endpoints that are in the network. While I cannot be certain, I believe the relevant version is McAfee 8 or 9.

We make use of McAfee Agent version number 5.6.4.151. We utilize McAfee Data Exchange Layer.

The McAfee Endpoint Security version to which we refer is 10.7.

We use the solution for antivirus purposes.

What needs improvement?

We don't like the solution since it requires much memory consumption and consumes much CPU resources. All the machines becomes very slow whenever it uses its tab scans. For this reason, we consider the solution to not be good nowadays. The newer solutions consume less memory and CPU.

We employ the solution for our antivirus needs, for which it is solely suited, and not as an EDR. We are actually looking for an XDR solution.

The solution is currently outdated. We are looking for Next-Gen antivirus along with EDR and it should have XDR capabilities as well. This would take care of the network and the  properties that are running in the background. They should be protected from cyber threats.

The solution should also be faster. McAfee actually offers EDR and XDR capabilities but, based on our experience, it consumes an inordinate amount of memory and CPU and this causes the system to be slow. At present, McAfee does not lead the market when it comes to antivirus security solutions.

We have been using McAfee Endpoint Security for eight to ten years.

The solution is stable.

While the solution is scalable, we wish to change it with the latest Next-Gen antivirus and EDR option, one which comes with both EDR and XDR capabilities.

We have not had direct contact with McAfee support. We have received support from the vendor. The support is forwarded to McAfee should we encounter problems. It is good and I have no issues with it.

We did not make use of other solutions prior to going with McAfee Endpoint Security, which we have been using since 2009 or 2010. At that time, an attack happened which caused us to evaluate other antivirus security options. In those days McAfee and Symantec were the market leaders. We are talking about 2008, 2010. This is why awareness of these solutions was prevalent. At the time, Trend Micro greatly lagged behind these two security solutions.

The installation is easy, but expertise is required.

While the installation was not especially time consuming, we would occasionally have to manually install or remove the entire tool. McAfee Endpoint Security can be considered a good product but outdated. The beta version, the one we are currently using, is not up to date. Nowadays, everybody uses EDR and XDR solutions for their security needs.

I have a team which was responsible for the installation. As mentioned, I am currently looking for another solution, one which would allow installation to also be handled remotely from the central management portal dashboard or to have the .exe file installed in each endpoint.

We have our own team, comprised of three to four support HR, who take care of installation, daily troubleshooting, support and all necessary changes. As such, we forward to receive remote support for all our users.

We took out a three-year license, including support, but it is slated to end come December. We would like to switch to a yearly subscription.

We pay for the license on an annual basis.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is in-house, on-premises.

There are 300 people making use of the solution in our organization.

When it comes to the question of whether I would recommend this solution to others, we can see that McAfee greatly lags behind CrowdStrike, Palo Alto Cortex, Cynet and Sophos, which are the top performing security solutions on the market.

I would rate McAfee Endpoint Security as a five or six out of ten.

Kuldeep Patel
Senior System Administrator at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Good remote installation and malware detection with the capability to scale

• "The solution scales well."
  • "The solution takes up a high amount of memory and can cause the system to hang."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

The remote installation capabilities are very helpful for us. Its automatic installation is a good feature.

The malware detection is very good.

The features, for the most part, are reliable. When installed as endpoint security, ransomware detected on any endpoint will be automatically quarantined there. It's then disconnected from the network and users are able to clean up that particular wireless area.

The initial setup isn't too difficult.

The solution scales well.

The solution offers good patches pretty regularly.

What needs improvement?

The solution takes up a high amount of memory and can cause the system to hang.

The malware detection, as good as it is, does not seem to be deployed correctly. It's not doing system quarantine. If a system gets attacked by ransomware, it's not going to be quarantined correctly.

If someone wants to filter or asks the system, "Please remove that antivirus we don't want it here," due to the fact that we don't want to work on a specific system, we get frustrated as it won't remove itself. It just starts scanning when we don't want it to and it begins to slow down everything when we need to do important work.

We would like there to be better reports that we could take to management to have them be able to look at.

Recently, we have seen that Ransomware updating is starting with just SQL services. It would be nice if it was offered across the board.

I've been using the solution for about one year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

While the system is stable and we are getting malware protection, we've found that the one big thing is that we are getting performance issues. Every system goes slow. There is a significant slowdown when we install the McAfee agent. That's one of the big issues we're just facing continually.

The solution scales quite well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

We don't get any support from McAfee. If the endpoint server is down or something is not working, or the data is not connected, you may need technical support, however, in truth, we haven't had any type of these problems. From the server-side, it was working perfectly, providing the proper reports. We haven't had any real issues and therefore haven't needed to reach out.

I have some experience with Sophos and Trend Micro Apex One. I find them to be a bit better than McAfee in terms of capabilities.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process. It's pretty normal, pretty standard.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We're doing the latest version of the solution. I do not have the version number on-hand.

50% of companies are facing ransomware issues right now. We have also faced that in the past. That's why we have looked into Apex One. We have installed that. All systems are under Apex One. Everything is updated, however, it's not protected as it's not continuously communicating with the data centers. They are not updating the algorithm as they should. They need to make improvements to that part.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution for companies just working with a few documents, however, if you are an enterprise, you might find that the solution slows down your system and it could affect your work in general.

Download our free McAfee Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.