VK
CISO at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Very stable solution with good value but lacks easy cloud compatibility

• "I think the costing is fine compared to other products. Cost-wise you definitely get value for your money."
  • "We would like to see all the features available on cloud."

What is our primary use case?

McAfee Endpoint Security can be used for threat protection, for malware protection, and for data loss prevention by encrypting the end user devices using full depth encryption.

We are using the latest version minus two because we generally update the antivirus to the current version after testing it. So generally it is two versions behind.

We have three versions in our network, one is the latest version, then we have a minus one on critical machines and minus two on the endpoints.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of McAfee Endpoint Security is that it is stable. It is a good product.

What needs improvement?

In terms off what could be improved, it is a little bit slow.

Additionally, the encryption part definitely needs to be improved.

We have faced certain issues recovering the data from systems which could not be fully encrypted by McAfee and then the decryption was a nightmare, it took a lot of time. Some could not even be recovered. That was one issue.

The endpoint protection and anti malware features are good. But encryption and decryption are a bit slow and it's a tedious job.

The second issue is that the public dashboards are out-of-the box kinds of features, so they need to be configured, which takes a lot of time.

Finally, there is an issue with the device timing features for allowing certain devices within the network for what we call USB protection. For master devices or static Bluetooth devices which need to be connected, the white-listing of those devices needs to be more straightforward, it is currently highly technical.

The dashboard and encryption should be improved.

There is a cloud-based environment available from McAfee which is called MOVE. If the customer has already implemented it on-premises, it should be integratable with the MOVE version. We discussed this with McAfee and they said encryption data can not be moved to cloud. This means if I move my antivirus server to the cloud, I still need to maintain a separate encryption server within my network. That is the challenge.

We would like to see all the features available on cloud.

I have been using McAfee Endpoint Security for three years.

McAfee Endpoint Security is a stable product.

In terms of scalability, as of now, we have licensing for 2000 users. We originally purchased it for 1800 users. Now we have renewed it for another year for 2000 users.

It's not scalable now because we have endpoint detection and response, the new technology which has been released by many companies, including McAfee. If we need to move to EDR, we will need to remove this and to implement the EDR across different products.

We require three people to deploy and maintain the solution.

Before switching to McAfee Endpoint Security, we were using Trend Micro.

The initial installation went on for two and a half months.

It was straightforward for Endpoint Protection Antivirus for encryption, but it took some time. This McAfee encryption had some issues with Windows 8 and Windows 7 older versions. For new versions it runs smoothly.

When we implemented three years back we used a system integrator, our partners, for doing the installation.

We have 1700+ systems so we needed to be setup with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have already recommended it.

On a scale of one to ten I would rate McAfee Endpoint Security as a seven.

Milos Tolpa
IT Engineer at FormatPC
Reseller
Provides good visibility, supports drive encryption, and the threat intelligence capability improves overall security

• "It provides a lot of information and great visibility, with really great options for managing the environment."
  • "The vendor should simplify the way they bundle the products because it's very hard to explain to customers what products contain which features."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The desktop firewall is a great product. It can be set to allow only authorized applications to communicate with the internet. In this way, it can block the changes for an unknown application to access our command and control server and to receive encryption keys. It is very good at preventing crypto-malware.

Their drive encryption is perfect.

You can create a complete inventory of all available executable files on the machine and whitelist the ones that you want, then lock the machine so that nothing else can be executed.

The web filtering is quite good at the endpoint level.

The threat intelligence exchange product is great because at the moment malware is detected on one device or other devices and endpoints, our servers are informed about the threats and they will be automatically recognized.

The solution has a ton of products and great features.

ePO can now be integrated with products from other vendors such as BeyondTrust, Boldon James, Titus, and you can even control Microsoft BitLocker. The architecture is easily extended and upgraded.

What needs improvement?

This product requires Microsoft SQL Server as a database and you have to deploy it yourself, then later integrate it with the console.

I have been using McAfee Endpoint Security since it first entered the market, which was several years ago.

This is a stable product. I have been working with their console since version 4.6 in 2011 and in cases where it stopped working, I was able to recover easily and it was repaired when the issue was solved. None of them crashed in a way that you could not recover from and fix it. The repairs were always relatively easy.

It is very scalable. We have four or five people in the office, but I have a few thousand workstations that are being protected by it. We have more than 10 ePO consoles, with some on-premises and some on the cloud.

We rarely needed to contact support from the vendor. In the situations when we needed some configuration from them, the response was always good.

We are McAfee partners, so I have used almost all of their endpoint products.

The initial setup is a little bit complicated, although this is because it has a tremendous number of features. Almost anything that you can think of can be configured.

The time required to deploy an ePO server with endpoint security depends on the number of endpoints in the environment, as well as the business processes. Some things require monitoring and observation over time, but in general, it can be set up over two or three days.

Our in-house team is responsible for the deployment, which requires one engineer on-site. We also provide support to our clients.

The pricing is great and licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

In general, it is a really great product and I recommend it. I don't have any objections and most of the users only use perhaps 25% of the features that are available. I cannot remember a time that I needed a feature and it wasn't available in the console.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Faisal Mian
CTO at ABM Info. tech
Pretty straightforward and good integration but does not offer good technical support

• "The installation is pretty straightforward."
  • "Every time we open a ticket with McAfee, their response differs and they are not consistent."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is specifically used at the endpoints. We do a lot of integrations with various clients.

What is most valuable?

A single agent can cover multiple units.

The installation is pretty straightforward.

The solution can integrate into other products.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not really stable.

Every time we open a ticket with McAfee, their response differs and they are not consistent. For example, they might say the issue will be addressed in the next release. Then, the release comes, and it is not available. Basically, we don't get a resolution from support.

This version is not very effective in our region.

The functionality of the product needs to improve the way it addresses zero-day threat levels.

We've been using the solution since 2003.

The stability isn't so great. We've had issues with it in general and have reached out to technical support for help.

We have three to five people that use the product right now. In Pakistan, we have three offices in all three major cities and set up the solution for clients. We also use it in the offices.

Technical support is ineffective. Instead of dealing with the issue head-on, they tell us that the problem at hand will be fixed in the next release. They do not help at all.

However, our organization also offers technical support to our clients and we have a good experience - almost 20 years with McAfee and other solutions. We're good at troubleshooting.

We started using Symantec, then we adopted different technologies including McAfee and SSP, which includes Microsoft Defender. We keep changing based on the price structure in the market.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's pretty simple and rather straightforward.

That said, I didn't handle the installation myself. We had a team that did it.

We did the installation with the main product that integrated with McAfee Endpoint Security. Between the two, the installation took a whole day, however, just the McAfee section takes about two or so hours.

You do need to pay for a license. It's not a good idea to try and get a pirated copy.

We've looked into and worked with McAfee, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, and Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

We, at one time, were the official service partner for Symantec. We still provide support to the Pakistan market on behalf of Symantec.

While the solutions we use are on-premises, the latest upgraded services that we use are moving into the cloud, and the endpoints are on-premises. Now it's sort of a hybrid solution.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

I'd choose McAfee as maybe the third-best option, based on the experience I've had with it and the issues we've faced.

Sabari Kumar
Senior Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Effective CPU consumption management scheduling, scalable, and excellent support

• "There is a new feature where you can set thresholds for all the CPU consumption allowing for no consumption on the servers when the scans happen. It is a separate plugin or addon, and if we have it on all the virtual machines it automatically checks the resources, and based on that, it will schedule the scans. That is something that I have not seen in other antivirus solutions, such as Symantec."
  • "The user interface could be improved by making it more user-friendly. There are multiple solutions and there is no clear line differentiating all of them. There is a centralized console where we manage everything but most of the administrators feel a little confused when it comes to managing multiple products from a single place."

What is our primary use case?

We are using McAfee Endpoint Security for network security.

What is most valuable?

There is a new feature where you can set thresholds for all the CPU consumption allowing for no consumption on the servers when the scans happen. It is a separate plugin or addon, and if we have it on all the virtual machines it automatically checks the resources, and based on that, it will schedule the scans. That is something that I have not seen in other antivirus solutions, such as Symantec.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved by making it more user-friendly. There are multiple solutions and there is no clear line differentiating all of them. There is a centralized console where we manage everything but most of the administrators feel a little confused when it comes to managing multiple products from a single place.

In a future release, McAfee could improve by having a fewer resource-consuming agents. When you bundle up all the solutions with an agent, it becomes heavy for the endpoint to handle. This is one drawback that they should improve because some of their competitors, such as Trend Micro and Symantec both have low-consumption agents available.

McAfee has multiple solutions that can be combined together into a single product. There is no need to have this many solutions.

I have been using McAfee Endpoint Security for approximately 10 years.

McAfee Endpoint Security is stable. However, the way we implement it can impact stability sometimes. The stability can fluctuate because of the configuration that we have, or the different types of policy that we have on the endpoints. The configurations can be tweaked and tuned to make it becomes stable again.

The solution is scalable. We have approximately 80,000 endpoints on a single console. If we wanted to increase the number of endpoints it can scale higher.

The support from McAfee is far better than other vendors, such as Trend Micro and Symantec.

I have previously used Symantec and Trend Micro.

The initial setup for an experienced administrator should be easy. The setup can also be easy if you follow the very detailed guide which they call the KB guide that they provide. You can receive good support from the professional services team from McAfee. That is how many organizations usually do the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others that are wanting to implement McAfee Endpoint Security to initially use help from the professional service team at McAfee, it will help a lot by making sure they do all the scalability and enviroment requirements. Additionally, they can ask questions based on their expectation and receive suggestions and answers. As an alternative, if you have an experienced person who is well-versed with implementations then I would use them, if not, I would always recommend using the professional service team at McAfee.

I rate McAfee Endpoint Security a seven out of ten.

Juan  Davila
Managing Director at eyeT GmbH
Suitable for managing very big environments and good for real-time detection and response

• "A big advantage of McAfee Endpoint Security is the ability to manage very big environments. We are supporting environments with 200,000 to 300,000 endpoints. The ability to manage with one single console is very important for us. McAfee has phenomenally improved in terms of detection. It provides real-time detection and response with the error, Real Protect, and reputations. It is not only based on signatures but also on behavior analytics, artificial intelligence, or machine learning. We have environments that never had issues with ransomware in the last 20 years. McAfee has a very good performance in this field."
  • "The management console is a little bit difficult to understand for admins. You need a lot of time in order to become familiar with that. It is a little bit complicated and not too easy to understand. Its price can also be improved. Its price is higher than its competitors. McAfee also needs to have better cloud integration and more data centers in the EU. The cloud center should be in Europe or in Germany. In Germany, it is really important to have access to your data within the same country. Customer data needs to be placed and processed in the same country."

What is our primary use case?

We provide services. We mainly use this solution for endpoint security and protection. We have cloud, hybrid, and on-premises deployments.

What is most valuable?

McAfee has phenomenally improved in terms of detection. It provides real-time detection and response with the error, Real Protect, and reputations. It is not only based on signatures but also on behavior analytics, artificial intelligence, or machine learning. We have environments that never had issues with ransomware in the last 20 years. McAfee has a very good performance in this field.

What needs improvement?

Its price can also be improved. Its price is higher than its competitors.

McAfee also needs to have better cloud integration and more data centers in the EU. The cloud center should be in Europe or in Germany. In Germany, it is really important to have access to your data within the same country. Customer data needs to be placed and processed in the same country.

I have been using this solution for 20 years.

McAfee is very big. You can implement it in a very small environment but also in a very big environment. You don't have limits or limitations.

Technical support could be better. The first level of technical support has to support about 30 or 40 products, which is an impossible number to support. Therefore, their support teams at the first level needs the support of product specialists. You, in any case, get a professional product specialist at the second level, some times at the first level.

For the initial setup, McAfee always requires some kind of consulting, which is good for us as a provider. A customer cannot do an installation without help. It is not too easy for a customer, but it is fine for consultants.

Its price is very high. It is higher than its competitors, and it should be less.

What other advice do I have?

You would be very happy with McAfee if you have the know-how of this solution and you have somebody who is an expert at this solution. McAfee is not too easy to understand, but when you understand the solution, you could be very happy with it.

I would rate McAfee Endpoint Security a nine out of ten.

GZ
IS Manager, Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
High performance, beneficial black and white lists, and reliable

• "Some of McAfee Endpoint Security's main features are it has benefits over normal conventional antivirus solutions because it works much faster."
  • "We have had some of our clients not happy with McAfee Endpoint Security because it blocks some of the applications they are trying to use. They should make it easier to unblock applications."

What is our primary use case?

We use McAfee Endpoint Security as a solution for workstations and laptops.

What is most valuable?

Some of McAfee Endpoint Security's main features are it has benefits over normal conventional antivirus solutions because it works much faster.

The solution learns which piece of software is running on the computer and compares it to a white list or black list database, if it is on the white list it allows the application and if it is on the black it does not.

McAfee Endpoint Security uses fewer computer resources than many competitors making it less of a burden on the performance of the computer.

What needs improvement?

We have had some of our clients not happy with McAfee Endpoint Security because it blocks some of the applications they are trying to use. They should make it easier to unblock applications.

In a future release, McAfee Endpoint Security and all other endpoint solutions should reduce the number of resources needed to run their solution, such as hard drive space and CPU processing. The fewer resources the solution uses the better the performance of the hosting computer will have.

I have been using McAfee Endpoint Security for approximately 15 years.

The solution is stable.

McAfee Endpoint Security is cloud-based making it scalable.

We have approximately 100,000 users using the solution in my organization.

I can log into the McAfee portal and get support. We have not had any problem with the support and we have never had an interruption or a case of software failing.

The installation was very easy and quick. It only takes a few minutes.

We can do the implementation of the solution. Customers can do it by themself or in a corporate environment it can be pushed from the central server to each individual computer.

The maintenance of the solution is done by an outside vendor.

For each computer that is connected to the server McAfee charges us for each computer based on our license agreement.

We are in the process of moving away from McAfee Endpoint Security and replacing it with Cylance.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is great by itself. However, it is important how management is organized within the company and how quick of response the teams can apply white list and other security measures.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate McAfee Endpoint Security an eight out of ten.

Muhammad Ejaz Hassan
CEO at RISE Technologies
Helps with data loss but is expensive

• "I feel McAfee Endpoint Security to be a good, mature product."
  • "An area in need of improvement involves the overview, which usually does not enable one to get the value in reports."
  • "The price of the solution is high in Asia."

What is our primary use case?

Overall, we handle the implementation of the solution, taking into account the policy required to secure the network.

We primarily use McAfee Endpoint Security for data loss and endpoint protection.

What needs improvement?

An area in need of improvement involves the overview, which usually does not enable one to get the value in reports.

Upon receipt of the incident, the review is important. Based on this it is possible to construct a workflow for closing the case.

It is crucial to keep the data inside the department. Receipt of the incident is a pain point since there is a need to engage one's system administrator as part of the data loss protection consent requirements and this involves sensitive information. However, nothing will be accomplished with a system administrator, only with a compliance administrator who is fully knowledgeable.

The solution is not stable and the ecosystem enters the picture for those responsible. Each system is connected in a centralized manner to give a holistic view of one's endpoint and environment. This is how things are at present and it offers a great way of setting things up. But, it poses an issue that a person cannot translate the value of the information once the entire system is integrated into a single console. Nothing will be accomplished in the system if incidents are frequently received but with no correlation between them. There is a need for combining IP analytics with artificial intelligence in respect of these reports.

The initial setup was complex and required too many servers.

A perpetual license is not an option with McAfee Endpoint Security or anyone else for that matter.

The price of the solution is high in Asia, in contrast to Symantec, which gives you a 70% discount on the closing of the project. The issue at hand involves the people. McAfee did have some big clients in my country and region. However, it did not have many clients.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed on-premises since it mostly involves a bank.

Unfortunately, most clients have chosen to remove McAfee and have switched to Silence because of its ease of use. They are not interested in updates.

I feel McAfee Endpoint Security is a good, mature product, although the price of the technology poses an issue. In Pakistan and Asia, there is a different kind of field environment than in Europe and the United States. While we cannot offer our clients managed services, which is what everyone wants, in Europe and the United States they can.

I rate McAfee Endpoint Security as a six out of ten.

Shreyansh Sharma
Instrument and Control Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Helpful technical support, good stability, and offers good antivirus features

• "Technical support is always available and very helpful."
  • "The initial setup isn't so easy. You need to know what you are doing."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for protecting our system nodes. It's run on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

You can scale the product.

Overall it's a good product that works well.

Technical support is always available and very helpful.

The antivirus component is very good.

What needs improvement?

It's not very user-friendly as sometimes you have to install the agents and then the agents do not get deleted from the database. Due to this, we have to manually delete it from the nodes and then again we have to install it again. When distributing the product, sometimes things get confused and we need to clean up the temporary folder.

The initial setup isn't so easy. You need to know what you are doing.

The products are getting obsolete too early. That's one of the issues we have with McAfee. They're coming up with new products too early. We installed 10.5 in 2016, and then in 2019, or 2020, we got 10.7. Now, 10.5 is obsolete. They are upgrading the versions too fast. Due to the fact that we have a subscription, we have to upgrade it to the next level which creates some maintenance issues.

I have been working with the solution since 2016.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The only thing is the reliability. It changes so fast and versions become obsolete and it creates maintenance issues for us.

The solution is scalable. We do plan to increase usage. Earlier, we had VirusScan Enterprise, however, now, as it is integrated into the ENS threat prevention, we are migrating.

We have 15 or 20 users on the solution right now.

We have found the technical support to be very helpful. They are responsive and available when we need them to help us troubleshoot. We are satisfied with their level of service.

We haven't really used another solution in place of McAfee, although we do also use Symantec.

The initial setup is not so straightforward. It's difficult if you aren't used to McAfee. It takes time to get the hang of it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with McAfee.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Download our free McAfee Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.