McAfee Endpoint Security Overview

McAfee Endpoint Security is the #11 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to McAfee MVISION Endpoint: McAfee Endpoint Security vs McAfee MVISION Endpoint

What is McAfee Endpoint Security?

McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection allows you to protect all of your devices with intelligent, collaborative security, in one easy-to-manage, integrated solution. Our integrated endpoint security framework helps remove redundancies, enables fast, proven performance and offers an architecture to align both current and future security investments. With a flexible choice of cloud-based or a local management console, security administrators also get true centralized management that simplifies ongoing tasks, deployment and monitoring.

McAfee Endpoint Security is also known as McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection, McAfee Endpoint Protection, Total Protection for Endpoint, Intel Security Total Protection for Endpoint, MCAFEE Complete Endpoint Protection.

McAfee Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

McAfee Endpoint Security Customers

inHouseIT, Seagate Technology

McAfee Endpoint Security Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AJ
operador central de monitoreo at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to attack malware but it is missing many key features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for it to attack malware.

• "The loss prevention feature would be the most valuable."
  • "We have a lot of problems with the user experience and it's difficult to implement. MacAfee's better than the ancient anti-virus solutions but it's a little slow to resolve. Many files with malware were destroyed through the network, and MacAfee doesn't detect anything."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven over ten. It's not a ten because of the time it takes to detect an issue, technical support and because I have no control with the partner. I know that the office that manages the contract has had some problems because of the reports.
SM
Director with 11-50 employees
We can see an actual attack and can contain it but the endpoint has room for improvement

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for the endpoint protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization because it helps with visibility, in terms of security. We can see the actual attack and can contain it. The antivirus can detect that.

What is most valuable?

Drive  DLP feature for device control

What needs improvement?

The endpoint has room for improvement because it's restrictive, it's very sensitive. Sometimes it can delete something that you need and so sometimes you have to disable the antivirus.

It's quite scalable. We have around 30 users.

How is customer service and technical

Learn what your peers think about McAfee Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Communications and Networks Engineer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reporting capabilities and visibility on our network are superb

What is most valuable?

The reporting capabilities are a valuable feature. This enables more visibility on our network.

What needs improvement?

The DAC (Dynamic Application Containment) component of this product needs improvement.

More than five years.

It is a stable solution.

It is easy to manage, and there is an awareness of being able to scale out.

I have not used tech support for this solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

This product is costly.

What other

AP
VP Tecnología at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It has the ability to custom define user-defined fields. There are many ways to customize this solution.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for antivirus and malware protection.

What is most valuable?

You can integrate this endpoint protection with a specific business process that you may want to link to the process of the antivirus. It has the capability to custom define user-defined fields.

What needs improvement?

One of the drawbacks to the solution is that it is not 100% secure. Sometimes it fails. Another thing we have noticed is that it is not easy to get all of the navigation information from a user. There is definitely room for improvement.

More than five years.

The stability is 80-90%. It is fine.

What do I think about the scalability of the

SA
Delivery Manager at Jlogic Innovations
The product helps us by contacting us if there are any virus attacks on our system. Tech support is not as helpful as they were in the past.

What is our primary use case?

We receive good protection with this solution. We use this for internet protection on the end-point.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I think the prime feature is the protection from malware.

Three to five years.

It is a very stable solution.

The scalability of this product is very good.

Tech support is not as helpful as they were in the past.

The setup was straightforward, and not complex.

What about

TT
ICT Manager at a printing company with 201-500 employees
It was important for us to consider the product maturity. It has been protecting us for over 10 years.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for endpoint protection.

• "It has been protecting us for many years, and we hope it will continue to do so for many years to come."
  • "Although they have increased the complexity, it has affected the scanning speed."
Intermediate Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automatic user recovery prior to Windows booting up is a valuable feature

• "Automatic user recovery prior to Windows booting up."
  • "We experienced some bad behavior when we first installed the product. The system also starts slowly in some instances. If for some reason this solution crashes, we could lose all our data."

What other advice do I have?

Be aware of the time it takes to deploy it as we experienced some slow startups.
Enterprise Information Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees

• "Initially, the DLP was very valuable for disabling access to USB drives."
  • "The VirusScan needs to improve in order to detect ransomware and other advanced threats."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to compare it with other players and ensure it can deliver, especially on the detection of ransomware and advanced threats.
IO
Network Security Engineer with 11-50 employees
With the increase in malware attacks, having a product like this that protects against zero-day attacks is invaluable

What is most valuable?

Dynamic Application Containment Real Protect

How has it helped my organization?

With the increase in malware attacks, having a product like this which protects against zero-day attacks is invaluable.

What needs improvement?

Signatures to protect against new attacks.

I've used this solution for three months.

Five out of 10.

What other advice do I have?

It's an essential.
System and Network Administrator at a retailer with 201-500 employees
We can monitor centrally how much the endpoints are safe and what threats are occurred.

• "Communication with all Mcafee products (also 3rd parties) by DXL infrastructure."
  • "We’re facing remote installation issues sometimes:"

What other advice do I have?

This is not a set-it-forget-it product. I can say that at least one IT employee has to be responsible to this product.
IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
One valuable feature is Threat Prevention with the on-demand scan.

• "One valuable feature is Threat Prevention with the on-demand scan."
  • "I think it would be nice if Dynamic Application Control would come together with McAfee Endpoint Security."

What other advice do I have?

Test the product well and make your own policy changes to improve the product even more. Often McAfee can get you some test periods to try the product. Also, have a look at the Dynamic Application Control. It’s worth the value in the end.
Security, Cloud & Project Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The devices are controlled from one place. This allows management of security for different device vendors with a unique interface.

• "Their malware detection rate is excellent for all type of devices and the anti-theft products are good and easy to use."
  • "McAfee GW Security and McAfee Child Safety need some improvement as they are relatively new."

What other advice do I have?

Even though it is a little expensive, the price is worth it. They come up with a complete home security eco-system that will unify the security under one easy interface. Going to their new product, McAfee GW Security, security in the Internet GateWay, McAfee is clearly on the right track. I was responsible for the introduction of this new type of products in my former company. I evaluated many brands (about ten), new startups, and traditional big security vendors. In my opinion, they have the clearest view of what has to be done now, (in the GW and in the Cloud), and what will be done in the…
Lead Information Technology Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has helped us to enforce State mandates for protecting both staff and patient information data.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product is good. You need to get advice on the overall deployment to your infrastructure from McAfee before any roll-out.
IT Infrastructure Specialist at a government
SiteAdvisor and DLP have helped us to control the sites our users visit and the removable devices they use on their company PCs.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that if you are looking for internet usage control, removable device control, and host intrusion protection, email protection or any one of these with anti-virus, go for it and you will not be disappointed.
Systems specialist at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can easily implement encryption for all our users in the company. ​A single sign-on functionality would be good to have in the future.

What other advice do I have?

Pilot testing is a must when upgrading any of the new modules or the McAfee agent.
Infrastructure Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
From an IT management point-of-view, the most valuable features are the force of the ePO console and its simplicity. For security, the most valuable feature are the clear security dashboards.

What other advice do I have?

Deploy the product with a phased and progressive strategy and optimize it during deployment. Often policies need to be adapted in order to lower impact on performance for some applications.
Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The central management made it much easier to create executive reports for management review.

What other advice do I have?

The system my current organization uses does not allow for administrative changes from the endpoint itself, like McAfee Endpoint Protection does. This feature is very useful when testing firewall rules and HIPS configurations for specific programs and sites that only certain network segments may need to access.
Technical Support Specalist at a government with 51-200 employees
​The centralized management of the solution is valuable. It would be nice to have the ​ability to change Safeboot passwords from within the OS.

What is most valuable?

The centralized management of the solution is valuable since we are a diverse organization.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have the ability to change Safeboot passwords from within the OS as there is a delay in the boot process and password changes can take time.

We've been using it for over five years. The component versions we are using are McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8.0.1445 McAfee Agent 4.8.0.1938 Saferboot Device Encryption 5.2.11 McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise 3.5.0.1364

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the…
IT Administrator at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
When we update it, it automatically removes viruses from most of the infected systems. ​

What other advice do I have?

You should use a licensed version of an anti-virus, preferably McAfee.
Task Leader at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature that I've found most useful is the availability of seamless AES 256 full-disk encryption.

What other advice do I have?

The central management console, ePO, is very useful. It incorporates file/folder encryption as well as encrypted thumb drive registration and policy management.
Senior Security Consultant at a integrator with 501-1,000 employees
Good reporting and compliance. Easy to administer.

What other advice do I have?

Always test on all environments and different OS's before deploying into production, especially VSE, DLP, and encryption.
Intel Security Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The threat prevention feature is the most valuable because it provides protection against malware

What other advice do I have?

Endpoint Protection 10.1 is a very complete endpoint protection solution that gives complete protection for endpoints. It is easy to deploy and can be a very useful endpoint protection suite for small, medium, and large-scale environments.
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Its installation and configuration are easy. We chose it because of the security-connected framework for synchronized security.

What other advice do I have?

Using McAfee provides you a single, integrated platform that helps you have an end-to-end visibility of the whole environment.
Sr. Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
The Complete Endpoint Suite has certainly simplified the build procedure.
IT Risk Management Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
It makes it much easier to follow up with individual issues or breaches which need a start-to-finish investigation into IT security events.
ITSM & AntiFraud Consultant with 51-200 employees
If a client needs new components, ePO helps them to bring the new products into the organization, although older versions had issues during installation.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very easy to use and to extend after the installation. Look on McAfee Knowledge Base page and see the tutorials.
Security Professional with 501-1,000 employees
Top ReviewerTop 5
My customers are always impressed by its central management, reporting, and options to do more. But, the policies and rules at deployment take time if you don't know the product.

What other advice do I have?

I think that in the enterprise space, this is by far the best solution and not because the actual antivirus. It's because of ePO.
Download our free McAfee Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.