McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Overview

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator is the #4 ranked solution in our list of SOAR tools. It is most often compared to McAfee MVISION ePO: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator vs McAfee MVISION ePO

What is McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator?
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (McAfee ePO) is the most advanced, extensible, and scalable centralized security management software in the industry. Unifying security management through an open platform, McAfee ePO makes risk and compliance management simpler and more successful for organizations of all sizes.

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator is also known as McAfee ePO, ePolicy Orchestrator, Intel Security ePolicy Orchestrator.

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Customers
Brelje & Race, Cognizant, Sutherland Global Services, Eagle Rock Energy, Arab National Bank, Bank Central Asia, Kleberg Bank, Leading Mexican Bank, SF Police Credit Union, Macquarie Telecom, Seagate Technology, Blackburn & Darwen Council, California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation, IRCEP, Major U.S. State Government, State of Alaska, State of Colorado, Cemex, Deutsche Edelstahlwerke
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator pricing:
  • "McAfee tries to package different things into different products, then sell them as different products with different licenses. They just split everything up into multiple things. That's just their sales pitch and how they do it."
  • "This solution is priced in the mid-range."

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Reviews

JonathanChawatama
IT Security Consultant at ZOL Zimbabwe
Reseller
Sep 2, 2019
Configure and deploy everything from a single web-based interface

What is our primary use case?

I have been working with McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator since 2005. We are a service provider and system integrator, and this is one of the solutions that we provide for our clients. Most of the deployments we have done are on-premises.

• "I really like the auditing component because it really looks at exactly what has happened on the network."
  • "They have to do something to make the solution more resilient or recoverable from power failure events, which may include creating their own database."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution I recommend very much. For anybody who is implementing this solution, I suggest that they read through the product manuals and documentation. I have noticed that it is an advantage to read through the manuals because people who do not, tend to miss things, and then blame the product for not working. I would say that McAfee is a good product, and over the years I have found it to be very stable and very effective when it comes to managing other products. We have all that we wanted to do with McAfee. In the time that I have been using this solution, I've noticed that when I…
RahulRaju
Security Specialist at Perth Airport
Aug 29, 2019
Can manage a very complex environment requiring fine tuning with a lot of exceptions

What is our primary use case?

It is an endpoint protection product. You use it to centrally manage security policies and push out configurations, then you manage the antivirus on endpoints. We use the on-premise deployment model.

• "If you set it up right, it can really manage a very complex environment which require fine tuning where there are a lot of exceptions. That's what it caters to. It can just do those specifics in those exceptional situations, which is good."
  • "While there are bugs and a few functionality issues, it is just a matter of raising them with the support team. However, support is part of the problem as well. You want everything to be seamless in a perfect world, but the support is spread across different countries. They have Level 1, 2, and 3. Level 1 is most likely in a developing country. They don't provide the best service."

What other advice do I have?

It does provide a lot of functionality. ePO Cloud takes away a lot of the management administration overhead. Though, I haven't tried this feature.
Learn what your peers think about McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer989748
Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Aug 14, 2020
Great graphical interface, good log events, and a simple setup

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of endpoints and the major use case for us is to secure the endpoints. That includes computers, servers, etc.

• "The graphical interface of the solution is its most valuable aspect."
  • "The solution sometimes has some false positives on IP addresses, from the web control aspect of the product. This needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

As an end user, I'd recommend the solution. McAfee ePO has many more features and covers more. A company looking for a new solution really needs to do some initial research to ensure their requirements are met. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.
Amman Khan Mohammed
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Mar 27, 2019
Protects us from USB-based hazards and enables read-only access to hard drives

What is our primary use case?

With this solution we use ENS with DLP. DLP works in controlling data protection when transferring data from PC to USB, USB to PC. We also use it for read-only access for hard disks. In DLP we have many options which we can work with. Currently, we are using it for the clipboard, where we cannot capture screenshots from the PC screen, as well as for USB locking/data transfer, and the hard disk protection.

• "We implemented data transfer protection, which allows transfer in one direction only. Users can copy from the PC to the USB but not from the USB to the PC. That way, if someone is carrying a virus on a USB, it will not be transferred to the PC."
  • "It's a little bit complex to configure it, but when you start using it, it is much easier. There are many policies that you need to create, and in three or four places"

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC with competitors' endpoint protection products. But compared to what McAfee has, I don't think other products have as many options, as many features. If you want to protect data, DLP is a good option. In terms of scalability, they're introducing more and new more features in ENS, Endpoint Security. If a ransomware attack happens, you can roll the encryption to its previous position. This is what they are implementing, according to their articles. For maintenance of ePO, one guy is enough. If the server is ready, if the database and the platforms are ready, one guy can oversee the…
reviewer1237686
Information System Security Coordinator at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 9, 2019
The central manager policy enables us to have all of our client modules in one solution

What is our primary use case?

I am an information system security coordinator and our company is a customer of McAfee. We use the product internally. Our primary use case is for protecting workstations, and servers. We use the antivirus with several modules that have a threat intelligence exchange, DLP and threat protection. It is a firewall hosting through the prevention system, web control and adaptive threat protection. The solution is for workstations and Windows servers. Approximately 1,300 administrators use the product and we have two people responsible for backup.

• "The central manager policy means we have almost all client modules in one solution."
  • "The detection aspect should be improved so that signatures are updated more quickly."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to read the documentation and carry out implementation. It is not complicated, just a matter of deciding which vendor to use. Because we have a corporate contract, the price is reasonable. We're happy with everything - the dashboard, user interface - it's all good. I would rate this product a nine out of 10.
Sanjit Achary
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 10, 2020
Stable with good central management and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution handles risk and compliance aspects for our company. It handles everything including uploading documents, etc.

• "The central management console is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "There needs to be support for Mac computers. Currently, McAfee does not work on iOS."

What other advice do I have?

We're a McAfee customer. We don't have a specific relationship with the organization. We are using the latest version of the solution. The solution is quite good and stable right now, but there are a lot of other products coming to the market. I'm currently investigating what other features customers need or are using to see if we can develop these out on this solution or not. Many organizations will find the solution has may features that would suit their needs and reduce the number of issues they face. However, it does depend on the individual company and what their unique requirements are…
reviewer1423638
Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 30, 2020
Good security with a user friendly console; a multiple use plug-in would be beneficial

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for two things - as an antivirus for a spider scan enterprise and endpoint protection, and also to make application whitelisting, or application blocking, where we only allow certain applications to run on the server, in case the server has been compromised. That could mean our ePO scripts or anything might be compromised and it can't run. We install a plug-in so it won't run any executables which are not whitelisted. We're a cyber security company and a customer of McAfee.

• "The security is a key feature and the console is very user friendly."
  • "Lacks a single plug-in for multiple uses."

What other advice do I have?

All the endpoint security solutions operate in a similar manner. If you take it as a baseline and if you want to get acquainted with a security solution then I think this is definitely a good tool. Of course, the costing and other factors need to be taken into consideration. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
Oliver Rodrigues
Senior Network Security Planning at Ooredoo Kuwait
Reseller
Sep 4, 2019
A good interface that provides centralized control over our endpoints

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this solution for almost seven years. The primary use case for this solution is to protect our endpoints. We are using an on-premises deployment model.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the antivirus and the DLP."
  • "The Virtual Patching feature needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend and would suggest for others to use. The biggest thing that I have learned from using this solution is that it is very easy to use. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 3 more McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Reviews