McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator is the #5 ranked solution in our list of SOAR tools. It is most often compared to McAfee MVISION ePO: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator vs McAfee MVISION ePO

What is McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator?
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (McAfee ePO) is the most advanced, extensible, and scalable centralized security management software in the industry. Unifying security management through an open platform, McAfee ePO makes risk and compliance management simpler and more successful for organizations of all sizes.

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator is also known as McAfee ePO, ePolicy Orchestrator, Intel Security ePolicy Orchestrator.

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Customers
Brelje & Race, Cognizant, Sutherland Global Services, Eagle Rock Energy, Arab National Bank, Bank Central Asia, Kleberg Bank, Leading Mexican Bank, SF Police Credit Union, Macquarie Telecom, Seagate Technology, Blackburn & Darwen Council, California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation, IRCEP, Major U.S. State Government, State of Alaska, State of Colorado, Cemex, Deutsche Edelstahlwerke
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator pricing:
  • "It is attractively priced. It is a fraction of what we're going to pay for CrowdStrike or SentinelOne, but it only has a fraction of the capabilities as well."

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Reviews

JF
Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Great graphical interface, good log events, and a simple setup

• "The graphical interface of the solution is its most valuable aspect."
  • "The solution sometimes has some false positives on IP addresses, from the web control aspect of the product. This needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of endpoints and the major use case for us is to secure the endpoints. That includes computers, servers, etc.

What is most valuable?

Easy deployment of agents from console and management of endpoints. The graphical interface of the solution. They have a good log event system. If you're able to trace it in the log, all you need to do is to whitelist the IP when you see a false positive.

What needs improvement?

The solution sometimes has some false positives on connections from the web control aspect of the product. This needs to be improved.

When you have false positive on the firewall, it rarely blocks off some legitimate connections to our network.

The reporting could be better.

Search or filter on Knowledge base gives broad choices instead of almost specific to your search.

agent communication between client and server but products are not deployed.

I've been using the solution for more than two years at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is extremely stable. We haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The only real issue we have is that there are often false positives, however, it's easy to fix in the logs.

The solution is very scalable. You just need to add more licenses. That's it.

As it's an antivirus for our endpoints, everybody in our company technically uses the solution. Everyone is affected by it.

We plan to use the solution in the future. I'm unsure as to if we'll expand our usage or not.

Technical support is okay. We get support from a McAfee partner here in Nigeria who liaises with the OEM too. We've been satisfied with the level of service provided.

McAfee has a portal for customers or partners to use, for product packages, updates, knowledge base, tools, technical support

The solution's implementation is pretty easy to install. It's very straightforward once you have your database. It's not complex.

When I joined the company, it was in migration. I wasn't there from the start, so I can't say how long it took. However, I was around when they did the migration and that took less than a month.

Through vendor team. McAfee partner consultant and they have their own local support team. They are resellers and partners in Nigeria. We were quite satisfied with their professionalism and knowledge.

Choose your anniversary cycle e.g. pay annually.

You just pay for what you want your license to cover. It is modular. It depends on the feature you want. There's the firewall, DLP, drive encryption, web control, threat prevention, antispam, etc. Scope your requirement and choose to fore what covers your requirement or budget. It depends on what you want to use it for. It's got amazing flexibility.

What other advice do I have?

As an end user, I'd recommend the solution. McAfee ePO has many more features and covers more. A company looking for a new solution really needs to do some initial research to ensure their requirements are met.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

VO
Information System Security Coordinator at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
The central manager policy enables us to have all of our client modules in one solution

• "The central manager policy means we have almost all client modules in one solution."
  • "The detection aspect should be improved so that signatures are updated more quickly."

What is our primary use case?

I am an information system security coordinator and our company is a customer of McAfee. We use the product internally. Our primary use case is for protecting workstations, and servers. We use the antivirus with several modules that have a threat intelligence exchange, DLP and threat protection. It is a firewall hosting through the prevention system, web control and adaptive threat protection. The solution is for workstations and Windows servers. Approximately 1,300 administrators use the product and we have two people responsible for backup.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a mandatory system for the protection of endpoints. Without it, the system could be compromised.

What is most valuable?

The central manager policy is valuable. It means we have almost all client modules in one solution, which is great. Having firewall web control adapted for protection, and a very easy management console to monitor an infection is important.

What needs improvement?

From my point of view, the solution is good. Even if there are problems we're able to find a resolution quite quickly. There were some issues in earlier versions but after the upgrade to the latest version, we haven't had any issues.

I have noticed several times that some viruses were not detected by McAfee ENS and we had to escalate support and modify detection signatures. The detection aspect should be improved so that signatures are updated more quickly.

For additional features, there really isn't very much to suggest. The main issue would be to improve detection.

I've been using the product for more than 10 years.

Stability is good, we haven't had any down time or issues.

The product is very scalable, it's very easy to add users.

I'm happy with the technical support.

We've been using McAfee for as long as I've been in the company.

I don't recall how much time it took for the initial deployment but it was a very easy setup, and updates, new versions, etc. are also easy to setup. Deployment is quite a quick process, maximum one hour for a console but now we just do the regular upgrades to the latest version which is a simple process.

In addition to standard licensing fees, there is an additional cost for every module.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to read the documentation and carry out implementation. It is not complicated, just a matter of deciding which vendor to use.

Because we have a corporate contract, the price is reasonable. We're happy with everything - the dashboard, user interface - it's all good.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sanjit Achary
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good central management and good technical support

• "The central management console is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "There needs to be support for Mac computers. Currently, McAfee does not work on iOS."

What is our primary use case?

The solution handles risk and compliance aspects for our company. It handles everything including uploading documents, etc.

What is most valuable?

I don't use the solution in a technical way, so the technical aspects of the solution I'm not clear on.

The central management console is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more clear about the licensing. They should have a way for users to educate themselves on the costs so that companies can figure out how to reduce costs.

There needs to be support for Mac computers. Currently, McAfee does not work on iOS.

I've been working with the solution for the last five years.

The solution has been quite stable for us. We haven't had any issues at all.

We have about 2500 people using the solution in our organization. They're a mix of people, including engineers and architects. We use it quite extensively - on a regular basis.

The solution is scalable, but the issue for us is that the pricing can be quite high.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past. They've been quite good. We've been satisfied with their level of service.

In the past, we've worked with Symantec, ForcePoint, and Barracuda. McAfee has some features that aren't part of other competitor's feature sets. Overall, however, from a technical point of view, they are all mostly the same.

The initial setup is quite simple. We didn't find it complex at all.

I was not there during the original implementation. I'm very new to this organization. I had just joined the team a few months ago. This solution has been running for the last five years, so I don't have more historical data in relation to the original setup.

We have two software engineers overseeing the project.

Comparatively, the pricing is quite low.

What other advice do I have?

We're a McAfee customer. We don't have a specific relationship with the organization. We are using the latest version of the solution.

The solution is quite good and stable right now, but there are a lot of other products coming to the market. I'm currently investigating what other features customers need or are using to see if we can develop these out on this solution or not.

Many organizations will find the solution has may features that would suit their needs and reduce the number of issues they face. However, it does depend on the individual company and what their unique requirements are.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

JD
Chief Information Security Officer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 201-500 employees
Attractively priced and easy to manage, but seems a little outdated in being 100% signature-based without all of the insights and protections

• "The general endpoint protection is valuable, and it is easy to manage."
  • "There should be more insights and completeness into the cyber kill chain, similar to CrowdStrike and SentinelOne. It just seems a little outdated in being 100% signature-based without all of the insights and protections that come with CrowdStrike and SentinelOne. Overall, they've got some catching up to do if they plan to compete in the comprehensive EDR space."

What is our primary use case?

We're pretty much using it as a traditional AV.

How has it helped my organization?

It has brought what it is built for. It has brought traditional AV capabilities and signature-based scanning.

What is most valuable?

The general endpoint protection is valuable, and it is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

There should be more insights and completeness into the cyber kill chain, similar to CrowdStrike and SentinelOne. It just seems a little outdated in being 100% signature-based without all of the insights and protections that come with CrowdStrike and SentinelOne. Overall, they've got some catching up to do if they plan to compete in the comprehensive EDR space.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. There are no concerns there. It didn't consume a lot of resources and things like that. We didn't see issues from that perspective.

It is fairly easy to add new devices. It is controlled within our environment.

All employees and all servers are using it. It is being used extensively, but we don't plan to increase its usage because we're looking to get a replacement for this solution.

Their technical support is average.

It wasn't McAfee ePO. It was the even lesser AV five years ago. It has been McAfee ever since from my AV protection standpoint.

Its initial setup was straightforward. It took a couple of days. It has been pretty easy to add new machines ever since.

It was an in-house job. In terms of maintenance, it requires minimal maintenance. We have our security services provider to take care of maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

It is great if you're looking for a traditional signature-based AV product, but if you're looking for a more comprehensive EDR solution, then CrowdStrike and SentinelOne are clearly the top two within that space.

Overall, I would rate it a seven out of 10. If I'm rating it for a traditional AV product, I'd give it a nine or 10 because it totally solves that use case, but if I'm rating it against a comprehensive EDR solution, which includes traditional AV and next-gen behavioral capability, then it would be a five, but they're not necessarily apples to apples.

Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good security with a user friendly console; a multiple use plug-in would be beneficial

• "The security is a key feature and the console is very user friendly."
  • "Lacks a single plug-in for multiple uses."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for two things - as an antivirus for a spider scan enterprise and endpoint protection, and also to make application whitelisting, or application blocking, where we only allow certain applications to run on the server, in case the server has been compromised. That could mean our ePO scripts or anything might be compromised and it can't run. We install a plug-in so it won't run any executables which are not whitelisted. We're a cyber security company and a customer of McAfee.

What is most valuable?

The security is a key feature and the console is very user friendly. I like that there are multiple options for reporting. It's a helpful tool.

What needs improvement?

The product could have a single plug-in that would have multiple uses rather than a single plug-in which is used for a single purpose. Each aspect has a separate plug-in. They should concentrate on providing something for all of the options that are available.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

The stability of the product is pretty good. Our entire company uses it and it's deployed throughout. We have five people maintaining it. It runs in the backend and there are around 1,500 to 2,000 people who benefit from it.

The technical support is pretty poor.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. You just need to set up an SEO database in the backend and couple the SEO database in the ePO management console. It's quite simple.

What other advice do I have?

All the endpoint security solutions operate in a similar manner. If you take it as a baseline and if you want to get acquainted with a security solution then I think this is definitely a good tool. Of course, the costing and other factors need to be taken into consideration.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Shreyansh Sharma
Instrument and Control Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably priced and scalable but the stability is a concern

• "Technical support is very helpful."
  • "Sometimes agents hang. We have to reinstall the agents."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to distribute the security features to all the nodes.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is great.

Technical support is very helpful.

It's great how the solution distributes the policy. For example, application control, distribution management, et cetera. The functionality is fine. I don't have any issues.

The integration capabilities are good.

The solution can scale well.

The pricing of the product is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes agents hang. We have to reinstall the agents. On top of that, we have too many advisories for ePO. There are stability issues.

I have been using the solution for three to four years at this point.

We've had issues with stability. I would like the product to be more stable.

Occasionally, we get bugs and we have to deal with them, and it's not ideal.

The product can scale if a company needs it to.

I do plan to scale and would like to use it for more of the system nodes.

We have found the technical support to be very helpful. They are responsive and available when we need them to help us troubleshoot. We are satisfied with their level of service. We haven't had any issues with them.

We pay a licensing fee on a yearly basis. The pricing itself is fine. I don't consider it to be overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with McAfee.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

DE
Senior Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
An easy-to-use dashboard with good centralized management

• "From a single dashboard, I can take a look at several things including the endpoint protection, the file integrity section, the data activity monitor, and more."
  • "There is a problem when it comes to agent communication and duplicate records, where the rebooting of a machine leads to the installation of a new agent and you get a lot of duplicate records that ultimately affect your compliance monitoring."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centralized management. From a single dashboard, I can take a look at several things including the endpoint protection, the file integrity section, the data activity monitor, and more.

The dashboard is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

There is a problem when it comes to agent communication and duplicate records, where the rebooting of a machine leads to the installation of a new agent and you get a lot of duplicate records that ultimately affect your compliance monitoring.

I have been using McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator for about three years.

With respect to stability, I would like to see improvements made in terms of agent communication and compliance.

I have not had the need to scale this product.

We had a local technical support company and did not deal with McAfee at the regional level. I can say that our local support was quite decent.

What other advice do I have?

Download our free McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.