McAfee ESM Overview

McAfee ESM is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. It is most often compared to Splunk: McAfee ESM vs Splunk

What is McAfee ESM?

McAfee Enterprise Security Manager - the foundation of the security information and event management (SIEM) solution family from McAfee delivers the performance, actionable intelligence, and real-time situational awareness at the speed and scale required for security organizations to identify, understand, and respond to stealthy threats, while the embedded compliance framework simplifies compliance.

McAfee ESM is also known as NitroSecurity, McAfee Enterprise Security Manager.

McAfee ESM Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee ESM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

McAfee ESM Customers

San Francisco Police Credit Union, Wªstenrot Gruppe, Volusion, California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation, Government of New Brunswick, State of Colorado, Macquarie Telecom, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Cologne Bonn Airport

McAfee ESM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee ESM pricing:
  • "The cost is dependent on the customer's environment and requirements."
  • "The cost is all included. The finance department handles the financial part, and we mostly don't get involved in it."
  • "We pay for our licensing fees on a yearly basis, and there are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."
  • "The pricing is good, and they are competitive compared to providers such as RSA and IBM QRadar."

McAfee ESM Reviews

Security7ac8
Security Product Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Mar 20, 2019
Correlates events from various platforms and reduces our response time in case of attack

What is our primary use case?

As a bank, we have different cases use cases that are typical for the industry.

• "The most valuable feature is the capability to correlate different events from different platforms that we feed into it."
  • "There are some banking and transactional cases that are local, South America transactions. I would like to see them add features that can be used locally, to make those transactions more reliable."

What other advice do I have?

To make a decision you have to really know what your budget is, how much money you have to buy a solution, and what the main reason is that you are looking for a tool like this. You can always find something cheaper for a small company. Everyone has pretty much the same tools. But if you're going to play with the big ones, like McAfee, you have to be willing to spend a lot of money and, obviously, you'll get the service you need. You have to know your company, what your needs are, and then go shopping. Look around. It's important to look at the tools, how they are deployed in your…
Cybersecon67
Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Aug 12, 2019
Helpful dashboards for log monitoring, and integrates well with other technologies

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide managed security services. We use loggers at the client site to generate logs for monitoring their devices. We handle the monitoring, administration, and troubleshooting of their endpoints. For some customers, we manage everything, while for other customers we only monitor their critical devices. We are using an on-premises deployment model.

• "This solution integrates easily and very well with other technologies."
  • "We cannot add new data sources to the most recent version."

What other advice do I have?

From my perspective, for anyone with a small or medium-sized business, this is the best solution. It is easy to deploy and it is less, from a cost point of view, than others. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Splunk, IBM and others in Security Information and Event Management (SIEM). Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1427199
Information Security Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Sep 29, 2020
It is easy to use and deploy, but it lacks proper support

What is our primary use case?

We use McAfee ESM for IT operations and a few security-related things.

• "It is easy to use and deploy. It comes with user-friendly manuals."
  • "McAfee is no more providing security updates on this product, and the enhancements to this product seem to have stopped. Moreover, we don't get proper support, and we struggle to get its support. It would be good if they can add some AI engine and out of the box use cases because it is currently limited to the same scenario and the same setup. I have done a POC for Securonix, LogRhythm. These products are much more ahead as compared to McAfee ESM. They have included multiple modules in the same solution. Correlation is very easy. If McAfee ESM can improve, especially in such implementations, then I believe it would be much better."

What other advice do I have?

We are quite happy with the product and its stability, but the problem is the lack of support, which is one of the major issues that we are facing. I really look forward to them providing proper technical support. I would rate McAfee ESM a seven out of ten.
Carmen Marsh
CEO at Inteligencia
Mar 26, 2019
Quarantines suspect files without stopping everything else

• "The most valuable feature is that if the scanning does find something, it quarantines it. Then you can decide what you are going to do with it."
  • "The only issue I have with McAfee is the amount of computer resources that it takes... it's definitely impacting some of the other applications that are running on a computer at the same time."

What other advice do I have?

Using it, I haven't noticed any difference in the mean time it takes us to detect and respond to threats. We've been happy with it so far. McAfee is a company whose products we've used quite a bit in the last 20 years so I'm familiar with them. McAfee is a very strong company; it's used around the world.
Victor Alexandrescu
IT Consultant and Project Manager at a government with 1-10 employees
Aug 9, 2019
Out-of-the-box rules are helpful in monitoring our hybrid-cloud environment

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to monitor everything in our hybrid-cloud environment. This includes IoT devices and a couple of data centers.

• "We are now able to completely monitor our environment so we can review what is there, which is a big win for us."
  • "I would like to see improvements to the user interface."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend trying this product. This is a quality solution at a fair price. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1369827
Information Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Jun 25, 2020
Good reporting, correlation capability, and user interface

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we implement it for our customers, as well as use it internally. This is a SIEM product that makes up part of our overall security solution.

• "Compared to other solutions, the user interface is good."
  • "The only drawback is that they don't have any packet capturing or network behavior analysis."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of McAfee ESM is based on the requirements. If a customer is specifically looking for log and event analysis, with the correlations, then this solution is a good choice. If instead, they are looking for network behavior analytics then they should consider IBM QRader or something else. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
AwaisAbbasi
Operations Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feb 3, 2020
Excellent security features with 100% stability and good scalability capabilities

• "The solution is 100% stable. We really have had a great time working with it. It hasn't let us down."
  • "The user interface could be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it was more user-friendly, I'd mark it higher. Right now, technical people working on the solution don't understand what it is are trying to communicate in its tabs. As a company, you need to have a certified or experienced McAfee engineer there or on staff to guide you. I'd recommend the product, however. It's a nice, robust product.
Business8c2a
Business System Analyst at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
May 18, 2019
An easy way to protect my privacy if I lose my computer

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is to secure the data on my laptop.

• "It is easy to use."
  • "I would like to see fingerprint recognition included in the next release of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend to a colleague at another company. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 1 more McAfee ESM Reviews
Download our free Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Splunk, IBM, and more!