McAfee Network Security Platform Overview

McAfee Network Security Platform is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Cisco NGIPS: McAfee Network Security Platform vs Cisco NGIPS

What is McAfee Network Security Platform?

McAfee Network Security Platform is a uniquely intelligent security solution that discovers and blocks sophisticated threats in the network. Using advanced detection and emulation techniques, it moves beyond mere pattern matching to defend against stealthy attacks with a high degree of accuracy. This next-generation hardware platform scales to speeds of more than 40 Gbps with a single device to meet the needs of demanding networks. Our Unified Defense Architecture approach to security management streamlines security operations by combining real-time McAfee Global Threat Intelligence feeds with rich contextual data about users, devices, and applications for fast, accurate response to network-borne attacks.

McAfee Network Security Platform is also known as McAfee NSP, IntruShield Network Intrusion Prevention System, IntruShield Network IPS.

McAfee Network Security Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Network Security Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

McAfee Network Security Platform Customers

Desjardins Group, HollyFrontier, Nubia, Agbar, WNS Global Services, INAIL, Universidad de Las Américas Puebla (UDLAP), Cook County, China Pacific Insurance, Bank Central Asia, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, City of Chicago, Macquarie Telecom, Sutherland Global Services, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, United Automotive Electronic Systems

McAfee Network Security Platform Video

AHmadMhedat
Senior Network Security Engineer with 201-500 employees
Attack analysis shows who tries to exploit my vulnerabilities

What is our primary use case?

I look at the attack analysis, which shows me which attackers try to exploit my vulnerabilities. I can check the ticket to see if it's blocked or whether it's a false positive. Whatever the case, if it already exists, I will block it. McAfee IPS has a benign engine, so this may not be a target in your environment. If you just prevent attackers from using it, they will try another vulnerability. I have physical routers, but they try to make some novel vulnerabilities. This is not applicable to my environment, so when I see this alert I know it's a false positive not related to my environment… more »

• "The feature I found most valuable is the network threat analyzer in the security platform. It also integrates with GTI, or Global Threat Intelligence. Otherwise, I just use the basic features."
  • "Integration with Global Thereat Intelligence could be better. Also, I think management solutions are end of life now at McAfee. Network threat analyzer may be used for endpoint quarantines. Integration between these sides, as well as endpoint APO, will help you quarantine the risky endpoints."

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid to deploy this solution. It is very simple and easy to deploy. I think there is no issue. I tested on the McAfee Network Security Platform. You just need to thinking carefully about attacks to decide if it's a sole attacker or two specific attacks. Use that information to create a decision about what action to take against the attack. Consider whether you want to lock off or block the action. Maybe I can improve myself in some of my web analysis. I read articles to improve my knowledge in this area. This is what I do to improve my experience. I would rate this solution as nine…
MA
Technical Consultant at Westcon-Comstor
MSP
Effective, with an easy setup and a good dashboard

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used mostly for perimeter protection. It's to protect the client and server site. It offers basic but effective Smart Blocking. We've tested it in a product environment and it performed rather well.

• "There's a good dashboard you can drill down into. It helps you easily locate intrusions and the source of attacks."
  • "Some of the documentation is not as straightforward as it could be."

What other advice do I have?

We are a distributor of McAfee. We're partners. We don't have a customer right now. We just have a version we use for inquiries. We have a demo server on-premises. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. It's stable and scalable. It's definitely more effective compared to the next-generation firewall that has a built-in IPS. However, they really do need to reform their documentation. We'd also like to see a bit more of their roadmap. Overall, I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Network Security Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Junior Product Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good protection and good network overview with great stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a level of security for our organization. It can show us what's happening on our network so that we are able to monitor events effectively. We end up having to deal with many events and this helps us detect where a virus or malware is coming from. It helps buy us time so we can fight off the attack.

• "Overall the solution is very good. It offers great protection and gives us a good overview of what is on the network."
  • "The management console needs to be less complex and easier to navigate."

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with McAfee. We're just customers at this time. We are using the latest version of the solution, however, I'm not sure of what the version number is. I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. It's worked well for us and we've been quite happy with it. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine. It's quite effective.
KS
Information Security Team Leader at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Good stability with a straightforward setup but could improve upon its detection capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for security purposes. It allows our organization to detect a variety of malicious attacks such as malware and viruses, et cetera.

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "The solution could improve some aspects of detection."

What other advice do I have?

We are McAfee partners. We have a business relationship with the company. We tend to use a variety of different versions. The solution tends to have a lot of versions. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. For the most part, we have had positive experiences. However, it's a good idea for those considering the solution to do their own research to see if the product would suit them. There are advanced levels of the solution. It can be a fit for many companies. In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.
AL
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Stable with an easy implementation and pretty good scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our clients primarily use the solution for security purposes. We have it deployed on the endpoints.

• "The solution can scale."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're integrators. We're not customers. We'd recommend the solution to other organizations. It works very well overall, and is excellent for enterprise-level businesses. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. No solution is perfect. However, this one is pretty close.
Junior Product Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Comes with a lot of functions and has good support and scalability

• "It has a lot of functions, such as firewall. We are administrators, and we create some rules to protect our network. We also monitor the traffic in and out and have disk encryption on-premises. When we detect malware, we scan for the virus on the PC. We can then delete or block the malware."
  • "We would like to have a simpler version. Some settings and functions on the McAfee console are complex and complicated. I want the management console to be simpler."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a very good solution. I would rate McAfee Network Security Platform a nine out of ten.
Junior Product Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Great monitoring feature and timely detection of malware

What is our primary use case?

We use a lot of the functions this solution provides such as the firewall and the ability to check aliases. We can monitor and show the traffic that's moving in and out. When we detect malware, we scan for the virus on the PC and we can decide whether to delete or block the malware. I'm a junior product consultant and we are customers of McAfee.

What is most valuable?

I like the monitoring feature where you can see all the traffic.

What needs improvement?

It's a very good solution but we would like to have a simpler version. The management component could be simplified.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is quite stable…
Download our free McAfee Network Security Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.