McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Overview

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Data Loss Prevention tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BitLocker: McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention vs Microsoft BitLocker

What is McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention?
McAfee Total Protection for Data solution suite protects your data using a combination of powerful encryption, access control, and user-behavior monitoring.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is also known as McAfee Total Protection for Data, McAfee Total Protection for DLP, Total Protection for Data, Intel Security Total Protection for Data.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Customers
Kleberg Bank
McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention pricing:
  • "The pricing seems expensive both for the license and the support."
  • "The price is high for this type of product."

TH
Cyber Security at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good whitelisting and stable on supported OS but doesn't protect against memory attacks

What is our primary use case?

The solution was added to the existing infrastructure such as AV Next-Gen. We were using it to expand into whitelisting. Primarily the use case was to test technologies that could grow beyond the traditional approaches for Next-Gen AV and get into more deterministic protection against unknown attacks, without relying holistically on behavioral type approaches that were meant to stop attacks, and protect processes and data.

• "The whitelisting works well."
  • "The solution needs an easier integration in heterogeneous and dynamic environments."

What other advice do I have?

We were a service provider and reseller. We had the solution in a lab environment for about three weeks, so we weren't a longterm user of it. We had a client that had familiarity with other aspects of McAfee protection solutions, and they were looking to just expand it to get more into whitelisting. They wanted to use it as a stop-gap for the deficiencies in the other aspects of their technology. We were looking for it to provide protection against more advanced malware and unknown malware attacks. That's what we did in the lab environment. We tested it. I don't know which version of the…
PN
Chief Information Security Officer at Romsons
Needs better EDR systems, the DLP isn't strong, and needs better customer service

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the restriction of Androids. It's for virus protection and for data loss prevention. I'm able to install the agent and forcefully upgrade all the agents in one console from EPU, hence we can protect some runners from the whole archive. I'm able to protect viruses from accessing the website.

• "The ability to block all USBs from the McAfee portal has been great."
  • "The solution needs to be a one-stop protection shop. And yet, the DLP isn't strong. Anyone can break it quite easily."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a relationship with McAfee. We're using the most up to date version of the solution. The EP is version 6.0.0.197 and the host edition is 8.0. The DLP endpoint version is 11.4.0.452. I would never recommend this solution to other organizations. I'd rate it four out of ten overall.
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CEO/IT Manager at rahaco
It is easy to recommend this product as a solid product for clients seeking a security solution

What is our primary use case?

We are a solutions provider. We make recommendations to people and companies concerning virtualization solutions, server solutions, file sharing and things of this nature. So we also need to protect servers or client machines or PCs and so often we need to recommend the purchase of some antivirus solutions. McAfee is one of the solutions we use in our recommendations.

• "The product provides us with an excellent, dependable solution to recommend to clients for their security needs."
  • "The product uses a lot of resources and because of this it is not always a good solution for every situation."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give to others looking into implementing this solution is the same as when our customers ask us for any kind of security solution. We almost always recommended that they go with McAfee. McAfee is a great choice for most cases. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate McAfee Total Protection for Data as a nine out of ten. It is very good except for the resource drain.
Information Technology Solutions Manager at UBG
The administration and the interface make it accessible and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this McAfee product is to provide a capable data protection tool to clients whose needs fit this solution.

• "The administrative capabilities and the interface make this product accessible and easy to use."
  • "The pricing is high for licensing and support and the GUI interface is good but could use updating."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this type of data protection solution is that you need to choose a product based on your needs. There are so many products nowadays that do similar things and there are always newer tools and technologies emerging. I'd recommend that people not just take advice from the manufacturer or trust in internet reviews. They should test products out for themselves to be confident in what they choose. Use the trial versions to see how the product works for yourself and do a proof of concept before you decide on a solution and implement it. It would be good to try several…
Information Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to manage with good monitoring and an excellent interface

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in the banking sector. Banks would like to prevent any customer information or confidential documents from leaking outside their environment. We use the solution on the email channels basically. We also use it sometimes on USBs, and other tools also.

• "The interface showcases threat incidents very well."
  • "Technical support doesn't really offer fast response times."

What other advice do I have?

We're systems integrators. We aren't McAfee customers. I would recommend this solution to other companies. It's stable and strong in data loss prevention. It works quite well. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine. If it offered more responsive support and better usability, It would get higher marks from me.
BK
Owner at xconsult
Offers good control over external devices, but it is complex to set up and configure, and the interface needs to be simplified

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. Our customers primarily use it to protect local files that they are saving to external devices.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to control access to USB drives and other external devices."
  • "There needs to be support for blocking the sending of files by email because even if you block or remove an external disk, the files are not protected."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.