McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is #5 ranked solution in top Data Loss Prevention (DLP) tools. IT Central Station users give McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention an average rating of 6 out of 10. McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is most commonly compared to ESET Safetica: McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention vs ESET Safetica. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention?
McAfee Total Protection for Data solution suite protects your data using a combination of powerful encryption, access control, and user-behavior monitoring.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention is also known as McAfee Total Protection for Data, McAfee Total Protection for DLP, Total Protection for Data, Intel Security Total Protection for Data.

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Customers
Kleberg Bank
McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention pricing:
  • "If the client purchases the entire suite of McAfee Endpoint, the license is included."
  • "The pricing seems expensive both for the license and the support."
  • "The price is high for this type of product."

McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Reviews

TH
Cyber Security at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good whitelisting and stable on supported OS but doesn't protect against memory attacks

• "The whitelisting works well."
  • "The solution needs an easier integration in heterogeneous and dynamic environments."

What is our primary use case?

The solution was added to the existing infrastructure such as AV Next-Gen. We were using it to expand into whitelisting. Primarily the use case was to test technologies that could grow beyond the traditional approaches for Next-Gen AV and get into more deterministic protection against unknown attacks, without relying holistically on behavioral type approaches that were meant to stop attacks, and protect processes and data.

What is most valuable?

The whitelisting works well.

What needs improvement?

The technology would provide a DLL hook injection into memory to monitor processes as they were inserted into memory. Assuming they pass the other tests from the AV side, and they're allowed to be inserted into the memory, then the DLL hooks allowed the product to monitor those processes for injection, or for any risk. That worked some of the time but didn't work on everything.

We found ways to inject code into processes that were being monitored and it was a silent failure. The solution didn't see everything. It did a good job of just stopping the insertion of malicious code from normal sources, but more advanced items it didn't catch. It was a silent failure on some of the more advanced attacks.

The product needs to offer more protection for memory-based attacks.

We only really used the solution for three weeks as part of a test.

The solution was very stable on the current supported operating systems. We tried to deploy it on some legacy systems that McAfee didn't officially support, and ran into a lot of issues there, going into older operating systems. Current operating systems and their support list worked just fine. There were no compatibility issues with supported operating systems.

In terms of scalability, it would really go back to the deployment with the same type of concerns. Where scalability in a homogeneous environment is relatively simple, but in a heterogeneous environment is vastly more complex and challenging.

Technical support was good for what we needed. We just needed some support on the original install and set up, and we ran into some issues with unsupported systems. However, support was responsive and pretty timely. I had no concerns with support. It was good.

We had used other McAfee solutions before. McAfee was the status quo. Then, the expansion was into Solidcore and app control. It was really about expanding within the McAfee portfolio.

The initial setup was somewhat complex. It was a little time consuming just to get everything functioning and set up correctly. I would say it wasn't heavily complex, however.

The documentation on how to do it was relatively good. It was something that, without a lot of skill, could be deployed. It just requires some focused knowledge.

Overall, I would say it has a moderate level of difficulty as far as ease of deployment.

The deployment takes quite a bit of time, based on the variety of applications in the system. For us, if it was a very homogeneous environment and all systems had the same applications, and they were all sort of built off the same images, so it would be relatively easy to do. There would still be some complexities with the unique differentiation between systems.

If we were deploying to an environment that was very heterogeneous and a highly varied array of software in the different systems, it would be much more complex and time-consuming to deploy.

The maintenance would be pretty difficult if it was an actively managed environment. If the environment has new applications and updates and changes on a regular basis, it requires quite a bit of management within the technology to keep up and authorize new known items for protection. However, in a less dynamic environment, it would be much easier to maintain. My concern, and one of the concerns we had just with the technological approach, was how easy would it would be to maintain and manage the system long term.

I don't have any insight into the cost. We were looking mostly at the technological aspects of the solution. There might have been some extra charges for the aggregation and SOC integration type of items.

What other advice do I have?

We were a service provider and reseller.

We had the solution in a lab environment for about three weeks, so we weren't a longterm user of it. We had a client that had familiarity with other aspects of McAfee protection solutions, and they were looking to just expand it to get more into whitelisting. They wanted to use it as a stop-gap for the deficiencies in the other aspects of their technology. We were looking for it to provide protection against more advanced malware and unknown malware attacks. That's what we did in the lab environment. We tested it.

I don't know which version of the solution we tested.

I would advise other companies to take care of understanding the environment that the solution is going to deploy in. They need to be cognizant of the challenges with dynamic and heterogeneous environments, as it relates to how the technology is deployed and how easy it is to deploy and maintain. Finally, they should be wary of the limitations in the protection efficacy, as it relates to some of the most advanced types of malware attacks, where we found the product to be deficient in some areas.

The biggest lesson we learned from using the solution was that there's a high expectation that as a company, McAfee implements this type of a solution to expand upon their solutions in the AV that they came from. What we've learned is that the step change in protection is not as great as we had hoped. The ability of it to stop the most advanced malware and other unknown types of attacks didn't live up to the expectations that were associated with a whitelisting solution.

I'd probably rate the solution six out of ten. It's not a bad product. It has some deficiencies, however. We found other technological approaches that offered much higher efficacy in protection and were easier to maintain.

PN
Chief Information Security Officer at Romsons
Needs better EDR systems, the DLP isn't strong, and needs better customer service

• "The ability to block all USBs from the McAfee portal has been great."
  • "The solution needs to be a one-stop protection shop. And yet, the DLP isn't strong. Anyone can break it quite easily."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the restriction of Androids. It's for virus protection and for data loss prevention. I'm able to install the agent and forcefully upgrade all the agents in one console from EPU, hence we can protect some runners from the whole archive. I'm able to protect viruses from accessing the website.

What is most valuable?

The ability to block all USBs from the McAfee portal has been great.

There aren't too many good things I could say about the solution at this point, however. It really hasn't been working the way it should for us.

What needs improvement?

We're not very satisfied with the solution. There are some bugs on it that we've been having to deal with. Due to this fact, we've been looking for other options.

McAfee in India really isn't working the way it should right now.

The solution needs to improve its EDR systems.

The solution takes up a lot of hardware space and uses too much RAM and CPU. It sucks up our resources due to multiple processes.

The processing time is too low. Each and every interval should receive a vulnerability scan, and yet McAfee can't seem to do this. On top f that there are bugs within it that make checking vulnerabilities a problem.

Customer support is terrible. Compliance is also very bad.

We've been using this solution for about three years.

The stability is okay. If we were to rate it out of five, I'd give it a three. It's not the worst, however, it could be better. It offers a moderate amount of stability.

I'm not happy with the solution's ability to scale. If you have multiple files, the problem is McAfee also has multiple files, and, when the user is in working mode, suddenly the solution will start scanning without first asking the users and without showing the amount of time it will take. Suddenly your CPU and RAM take a dive. It affects everything. It might be a bug when you upgrade the solution. It's possible that it's not upgrading correctly or not connecting appropriately.

We have about 500 people using the solution currently.

Technical support has not been helpful for us. We tried to reach out during the implementation process and were given a run-around. We realized afterward we needed to go through a vendor. McAfee won't help us directly. Except that, from day one, no one could help us or answer our questions.

With most companies, technical support is amazing. That's not true in this case. FortiGate, for example, has great customer service.

We're looking at a different solution right now, as this one isn't working for us. We're currently using it, however, very soon we'll implement a different solution instead of this one.

The initial setup is complex, and on top of that, when you try to reach out for help and try the customer support number, they tell you that you are calling the wrong place and redirect you somewhere else instead of helping you. You need to go through a vendor to get any help, and they have to go to McAfee on your behalf.

In terms of maintenance, many other antivirus companies have software that provides maintenance. If you're going for the on-premises solution, maybe a server requires maintenance every six months or one year and there is usually a printed maintenance checklist. It's an offline process. However, no one can sort out this process on my team. On top of that, if you are going to increase the volume, you will need to upgrade and it is another platform that you have to buy and that will require maintenance.

The pricing is kind of expensive. There are other options out there that work better for the price.

With the bugs we're dealing with on this solution, we're looking for other options. We've looked at Cloud Security Intel and Trend Micro, for example. We've also been looking at one of EI Intelligence's early response DLP.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a relationship with McAfee.

We're using the most up to date version of the solution. The EP is version 6.0.0.197 and the host edition is 8.0. The DLP endpoint version is 11.4.0.452.

I would never recommend this solution to other organizations. I'd rate it four out of ten overall.

Learn what your peers think about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MajidKhaki
CEO/IT Manager at rahaco
It is easy to recommend this product as a solid product for clients seeking a security solution

• "The product provides us with an excellent, dependable solution to recommend to clients for their security needs."
  • "The product uses a lot of resources and because of this it is not always a good solution for every situation."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solutions provider. We make recommendations to people and companies concerning virtualization solutions, server solutions, file sharing and things of this nature. So we also need to protect servers or client machines or PCs and so often we need to recommend the purchase of some antivirus solutions. McAfee is one of the solutions we use in our recommendations.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with an excellent solution to recommend to clients for security.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable things for us about this product is that we needed some solution that can be used in desktop virtualization. We are not using the antivirus program in common ways. We use antivirus in desktop virtualization.

The most important solution for us is protecting the virtual machines that we host on our servers. We need security protection for our clients and server solutions, security protection for virtual desktop solutions and security for the cloud-based system solutions. We work in all of these fields.

What needs improvement?

One thing that would help us is if the McAfee agent that we install on virtual machines became lighter. It is a bit heavy for installation on virtual machines and it uses too much in the way of resources. It takes a lot of the CPU, the RAM, and other resources in comparison to some other application like Kaspersky. Kaspersky Security Solution is a lighter solution than McAfee. McAfee is a little heavy for many installations and does not work for all clients and situations.

It would also be good if the McAfee solution contained specialized features just for the virtual desktop. Some brands of security solutions already have this type of feature which makes it easier to use them for desktop virtualization. I can not find that currently in the McAfee product.

We have been using this product for about 10 years for some internal solutions and for our clients.

Of course, a product like this has to be designed to be stable. The whole point of McAfee is to be a stable, dependable solution for total security.

In our experience, the product is easy to scale both on server and desktop visualization.

The number of clients we have using McAfee Total Protection for data within our company and within our client deployments is hard to say in total. We have lots of clients in various territories. We work in five countries in the Middle East. So I don't know the exact number of users, but I know there are more than 1,000 SMBs, or small to medium businesses, that we have deployed for.

The users at each site are IT Managers, IT Admin, Security Admins or some type of IT expert for the administration.

I have previous and current experience in usage of some other security applications like McAfee, like Kaspersky, like BitDefender, and like SOPHOS. So I have experience with a lot of these kinds of products and know which to recommend for particular purposes in deployments. We use McAfee because it fits certain client needs but we still sometimes use other solutions for other clients. Everyone is not the same.

We also have our own security solutions and we do not use only third-party applications in our company. We have an ISMS (information security management system) that we customize for what we need it to do.

For the Data Security product, McAfee is easy to install and it is easy to use. This is not the setup and usability that are part of the problem when it comes to this product.

We do our own implementations.

I did consider other options from the other vendors I've worked with before. I had kind of a friendly connection with the BitDefender company, for example. But when it comes down to making a choice for clients I have to tell them that the application is the heaviest security program. It uses the most resources of any of the products I know well, so it was not really a good solution for us to recommend. Their solution uses more resources than even McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give to others looking into implementing this solution is the same as when our customers ask us for any kind of security solution. We almost always recommended that they go with McAfee. McAfee is a great choice for most cases.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate McAfee Total Protection for Data as a nine out of ten. It is very good except for the resource drain.

PP
Management Executive at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Good compliance management but the support is lacking and the effectiveness needs to be improved

• "You can manage your compliance in line with legislation such as GDPR and POPIA."
  • "Our client is not very happy with the lack of support, the skills, and the effectiveness of the tool."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting house for various clients. We provide consultancy to our clients in terms of which product they should use based on their requirements and environment.

Our clients use this solution for DLP. They are using it for the basis of endpoint protection, prevention of malware infection, detection, and management of the endpoint.

The client has not fully utilized the DLP because they have not done the data classification well enough to actually get the full value of the DLP solution.

What is most valuable?

If a DLP is implemented correctly, the value is that you can address the human error issues. You can manage your compliance in line with legislation such as GDPR and POPIA.

The value proposition is great if it is implemented correctly.

What needs improvement?

If you do not have a team that is supporting your DLP implementation, there may be a challenge, which is a concern.

The support in South Africa should have more knowledgeable and professional McAfee resources.

Our client is not very happy with the lack of support, the skills, and the effectiveness of the tool.

Our client has been using McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention for three years.

It works and is stable if it is implemented correctly.

It is a scalable solution. We have two customers who are using it and one who will be moving onto another solution. They are considering Cynet or CrowStrike.

The support in South Africa could be much better.

I was the chief information security officer at one of the largest banks in Africa. I have used all of the products including McAfee DLP, McAfee Endpoint, and Forcepoint DLP as well.

I wasn't involved in the implementation for this client in particular.

My experience with McAfee from a vendor perspective is if you have the right skills, it can be deployed quite easily. The only challenge is it uses a lot of hardware.

The time it takes for deployment depends on the variety of clients. Some clients have 1,000 users, so it's quite easy.

The actual deployment before rollout to all of your users is not long. It takes approximately two weeks.

The number of people required to maintain this solution depends on the scale of the project, the customer itself, and the number of users. There is a lot of awareness that needs to go into DLP and Endpoint DLP to train the user.

We utilized specialists to implement it for us because we are not a vendor.

We are vendor agnostic. We advise our clients, and then we get professional people like McAfee Professional Service to install it. We wouldn't get involved in it.

We use integrators.

If the client purchases the entire suite of McAfee Endpoint, the license is included.

We evaluated Cynet and CrowdStrike in comparison to McAfee. Our client wants to find an alternative to McAfee Endpoint Security.

What other advice do I have?

We are purely consultants. We do not get involved primarily with the implementation.

What we do is advise clients. For example, we are doing a lot of work for Coca-Cola and we advise them on how to configure.

It doesn't matter whether you're using Defender, or whether you are using MCAS as a cloud solution, we help you configure according to the standard that is applicable, whether it's a legislative standard or an internal policy.

We ensure that the necessary implementation and configuration settings are aligned. Then we give it back to the technical integrators to implement according to the standard that we have set. That is the level of involvement we have. We don't do the implementation, but we advise on how the implementation should be done in line with the internal policy or the legislation.

I would not recommend this solution to others. I think there are better products available at the moment.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Shaik Sayeed
Information Technology Solutions Manager at UBG
The administration and the interface make it accessible and easy to use

• "The administrative capabilities and the interface make this product accessible and easy to use."
  • "The pricing is high for licensing and support and the GUI interface is good but could use updating."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this McAfee product is to provide a capable data protection tool to clients whose needs fit this solution.

What is most valuable?

The interface is really the most valuable feature. The administration part is also nice because it is pretty user-friendly as it is. The interface and administration are important because the data protection capabilities are already there. The administration and the interface make it accessible and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Both the pricing and the support for this product could be improved.

I think the support comes at a very high cost. In our case, there are some regions where we do not pay McAfee for support because they do not provide the support quickly or they do not have the capacity to support our needs completely. It depends on the case and where the client is.

It is not just the support that is expensive, I would like to see better pricing for the product licensing. Feature-wise, I would like enhancements added to the GUI interface to make it more well-designed, user-friendly, and user-intuitive while adding other features to help users work with the product more easily.

We have been using McAfee Total Protection for DLP for more than two years.

McAfee Total Protection is stable. We have no problems with it and neither do our clients who use it.

The clients that we deploy this solution for are small to medium-sized businesses.

I think that the technical support can be improved. It should be cheaper, faster and more comprehensive as far as the regions it covers.

The installation and initial setup are not so hard. I would have to give it a mid-range score. Some of it is easy and some of it more difficult. Let's say fifty-fifty as that is the best way to describe the initial setup: half easy, half hard.

We did not need the help of a third-party to implement the solution for us. We are a McAfee partner so we implement it for ourselves and our clients.

The pricing seems expensive both for the license and the support.

We are often looking for information about different products that we will be able to present to our clients as a solution for what they need. We have done research and comparison of many brands and products. With McAfee Total Data Protection for DLP, we might offer the client a choice of solutions with different advantages and features such as a Fortinet product. It depends on the client's needs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this type of data protection solution is that you need to choose a product based on your needs. There are so many products nowadays that do similar things and there are always newer tools and technologies emerging. I'd recommend that people not just take advice from the manufacturer or trust in internet reviews. They should test products out for themselves to be confident in what they choose. Use the trial versions to see how the product works for yourself and do a proof of concept before you decide on a solution and implement it. It would be good to try several products to be able to compare rather than just one.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the product as an eight out of ten.

Meleria Mangaring
Systems Engineer at Trends and Technologies, Inc
Reseller
Straightforward to configure and affordable but needs better partial matching

• "The pricing of the product is excellent. It's very affordable."
  • "In my experience, it's not really user-friendly for me, in terms of how I navigate with the ePolicy Orchestrator. They need to upgrade their management console."

What is most valuable?

The beauty of McAfee Data Loss Prevention is, for one, it's in a single management product for all other McAfee solutions. It's also a single-agent platform. That's one really unique aspect of Data Loss Prevention.

The configuration of McAfee is also pretty straightforward.

On the data loss prevention side, it's pretty straightforward. It's capable of doing the basic tasks such as basic data loss prevention capabilities that any DLP can do.

With respect to its capability of being able to block, being able to provide responses and justification, and the management of the DLP in itself, it is pretty straightforward.

One thing that I like about McAfee is the Tamper Protection and the help desk feature. Symantec also has that, however, the help desk feature from McAfee is more user-friendly but also it's more strict and more secure, as compared to the one in Symantec.

The pricing of the product is excellent. It's very affordable.

What needs improvement?

In my experience, it's not really user-friendly for me, in terms of how I navigate with the ePolicy Orchestrator. They need to upgrade their management console.

You can't navigate McAfee without going through all of the administration and product guides. You have to read everything first before you navigate it. That's how it was for me, at least, in my experience. However, in my colleague's case, that didn't happen and I don't know why I can't just navigate the McAfee management console without reading first the administrator or product guide. What's really tedious about reading those things is that the documents are separate. The product guide and the administrator guide for the DLP solution are quite different from the administrator guide and product guide of the ePolicy Orchestrator.

They need to improve more with partial matching and exact data matching. The partial matching and the exact data matching are features of Symantec. There, it's pretty sophisticated. If McAfee wants to catch up with that, they have to upgrade their partial matching capabilities.

We also had a client who wanted to have at least three, two to three, set of conditions on a single policy or on a single rule, to have that kind of combination. For example, a combination of a serial number from a device, from a removable device, plus a user and a computer or the hosting or the workstation. That's three combinations. User, computer, and removable device. What they wanted is to have the three pieces of that combination in a single rule, however, we were not able to do that as McAfee conditional statements are only limited to two. That's something that they need also to improve. They need to make it more flexible.

I've used McAfee for three years at this point. It's been a while.

McAfee offers very good technical support and we have been very happy with its capabilities. We find support to be helpful and responsive.

I also work with Symantec. It's a bit more expensive, and I find McAfee offers a few better, more advanced features.

This is one of the least expensive solutions on the market right now. It's even less expensive than Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution at this time.

The clients I work with are mostly enterprise-level businesses.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. For the most part, I have been pleased with its capabilities, however, there are some improvements that could be made.

AS
Information Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to manage with good monitoring and an excellent interface

• "The interface showcases threat incidents very well."
  • "Technical support doesn't really offer fast response times."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in the banking sector. Banks would like to prevent any customer information or confidential documents from leaking outside their environment. We use the solution on the email channels basically. We also use it sometimes on USBs, and other tools also.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage.

Overall, it's an easy to use product. It has a great end-user experience. The solution is quite powerful.

It offers good monitoring of your endpoints and provides excellent reporting.

The interface showcases threat incidents very well.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with the Lower and Upper filter of the device control module.

Technical support doesn't really offer fast response times.

They could continue to refine their defense on signature attacks.

We've been using the solution for a while. I have about two years of experience personally.

While it is largely stable, I have experienced issues with browsers, especially when we export and import the DLP policy. After importing the DLP policy, we weren't able to get a classification and definitions of the data loss prevention from Microsoft Edge or other browsers. They hung when we tried to access the classifications and definition page.

This doesn't really count as a stability issue. It's more of an availability or usability issue.

We have about 2,000 users in one environment. In another environment, we may have as many as 3,000 users. The solution scales pretty well.

While we typically implement this solution for our customers, I would say that we would like to increase usage.

When we've had issues in the past, and, although they ended up solving our problem, we found the response time was pretty slow. There was a bit of a delay. They could have been faster to respond. Other than that, we're pretty satisfied with their level of service.

I haven't experienced a lot of users, however, so far, McAfee has been excellent.

Generally, the solution is pretty straightforward to setup. It's not complex. That said, there is a common issue with an installation video. It's something about TLS support, TLS version 1.1. There's a command you should execute, however, there is a conflict of KBs. We had to do a bit of research and we were able to troubleshoot it ourselves in the end.

Ultimately, deployment takes about two to three hours. It doesn't take too long.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of any integrators or consultants. I also didn't need the help of technical support.

Although I don't have too much information on the exact costs of the solution, it's my understanding that the pricing is pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

We're systems integrators. We aren't McAfee customers.

I would recommend this solution to other companies. It's stable and strong in data loss prevention. It works quite well.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine. If it offered more responsive support and better usability, It would get higher marks from me.

BK
Owner at xconsult
Offers good control over external devices, but it is complex to set up and configure, and the interface needs to be simplified

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to control access to USB drives and other external devices."
  • "There needs to be support for blocking the sending of files by email because even if you block or remove an external disk, the files are not protected."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients.

Our customers primarily use it to protect local files that they are saving to external devices.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface is very complicated to use and it is easy to forget how it works.

There needs to be support for blocking the sending of files by email because even if you block or remove an external disk, the files are not protected. As long as the files can still be sent via email, it is useless to protect them from being copied to an external drive.

I have been working with this McAfee data protection product for more than two years.

Scalability is not really applicable because it is only dealing with an endpoint device. There is no impact on scalability.

I have not been in contact with McAfee's technical support.

Symantec has a similar solution available.

The initial setup is complex. The configuration requires that many points have to be considered before it can be done properly.

The price is high for this type of product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.