McAfee Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Gateway is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Web Security Gateways. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiProxy: McAfee Web Gateway vs Fortinet FortiProxy

What is McAfee Web Gateway?

Organizations can do more over the web today than ever before. Today’s web offers a
dynamic, real-time user experience. However, the web has also become a more dangerous
place, with increasingly sophisticated attacks released every day. McAfee® Web Gateway
is a critical defense for any organization to protect against emerging malware threats. It
empowers organizations with secure internet access while greatly reducing risk through an
advanced security approach that combines powerful, local intent analysis with cloud-based
protection powered by McAfee Labs.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

McAfee Web Gateway Customers

Prodeb, Vidant Health, WEG Industries

McAfee Web Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Web Gateway pricing:
  • "Some of our clients have a perpetual license and pay additional support yearly."

NF
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Very sophisticated with great anti-virus filtering, URL categorization, and reporting capabilities

What is our primary use case?

This is a web security product, it controls the usage of web for employees. There is an integral anti-virus and web URL filtering solution. I've used the solution in multiple companies that I worked in, and for the last six months I have a new company and I sell the solution along with other security products. I'm a security engineer.

• "Good anti-virus filtering, URL categorization, and reporting capabilities."
  • "User interface could be more intuitive."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution and would rate it a 10 out of 10.
Milos Tolpa
IT Engineer at FormatPC
Reseller
Secure, stable, and well integrated

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for controlling web content that the users are accessing. It's very good in case situations where you have the use of a VPN connection. You can control your employees when they are in the office and out of the office, without using a VPN in the same fashion. The on-premise solution will control them when they are on the corporate network, and when they're off the corporate network, the cloud's gateway will control them. They have the same policies.

• "It's a great product with solid features."
  • "The documentation could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. I would rate McAfee Web Gateway a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, Cisco and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AC
Vice President - Risk Management, Chief Information Security Officer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful user activity monitoring that includes SSL decryption

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect us against online threats, as well as for user activity monitoring.

• "The initial setup is fairly straightforward and easy to perform."
  • "The cloud needs improvement with respect to DLP."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use a hybrid model, rather than just something for a specific use case. Otherwise, you won't have a full 360-degree view. Integration with Active Directory is critical, as is the log integration with your SIEM solution. These are key factors that you need to consider. If I were rating the on-premises and cloud-based features separately, I would give it a nine out of ten on-premises and a seven out of ten for the cloud. Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Product Categories
Secure Web Gateways (SWG)
Download our free Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Report and find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, Cisco, and more!