McAfee Web Protection Overview

McAfee Web Protection is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Web Content Filtering tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Umbrella: McAfee Web Protection vs Cisco Umbrella

What is McAfee Web Protection?

McAfee is one of the world’s leading independent cybersecurity companies. Inspired by the power of working together, McAfee creates business and consumer solutions that make the world a safer place. By building solutions that work with other companies' products, McAfee helps businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of threats happen simultaneously and collaboratively. By protecting consumers across all their devices, McAfee secures their digital lifestyle at home and away. By working with other security players, McAfee is leading the effort to unite against cybercriminals for the benefit of all.

McAfee Web Protection is also known as McAfee Web Gateway, McAfee SaaS Web Protection.

McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

McAfee Web Protection Customers

Sicredi

McAfee Web Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Web Protection pricing:
  • "$150 Canadian per year."

McAfee Web Protection Reviews

Daniel Colombani
Lead: Incident Response, Investigation & Vulnerability Management at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 12, 2020
Easily blacklist malicious sites both on premise and on the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are using version 8. It is a Hybrid deployment. McAfee uses its own cloud. We monitor everything that is going outside of the United States, and that's why we can see any communication between our users who are outside of Virginia or the United States. We use it to see the communication between our users and outside the United States. We have almost 700 users. We have different departments and all the users. As well, we include servers for this; that we can block any server trying to talk outside to any site.

• "The most valuable is the blocking of blacklisted sites, a URL that is, either by intelligence or by McAfee, detected as a malicious site."
  • "We used a consultant to help us set it up. Unfortunately, he was not that good. They were out of McAfee people. He was a consultant and knew the product, but he was not a McAfee person. How they managed it and how they worked was not straightforward."

What other advice do I have?

I think right now that the product is the top one in the market right now. And we used another before then. One of my guys is working with it. He's the expert with this. And he told me that he's very happy with them.
Jean-Luc Des Groseilliers
CIO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jun 21, 2020
Great for scanning and for protection against unsafe websites

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for protection, basically for scanning. Sometimes it pops up to warn me that I'm connecting to a site that is unsafe and it blocks access. I work as a CIO along with others in the company and we offer our consulting services to different companies. I'm a customer of McAfee.

• "The solution does what it's meant to do."
  • "Lacking filter for spam."

What other advice do I have?

I receive a monthly report and I've never had a problem so I presume that it's doing its job well. I don't get any viruses or have any issues. It's not strong in terms of spam filter so I do get that at times. Eventually, I'd probably consider added a spam filter but it's not a big issue for me. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Web Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MarkGrover
Information Technology Security Consultant at Infosec Consulting ltd
Mar 17, 2020
Web Protection that does what it says it will and what you want it to

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is the malware protection capability. Sometimes we use it for the firewall features, but normally it is just a straight antivirus product for us. I work with clients to get it installed and I also use it personally.

• "It has dependable anti-malware and intrusion prevention features all-in-one package."
  • "The manufacturerers should have more transparancy about exactly what is getting filtered when you use the product and why."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people who want to use McAfee Web Protection would be that I recommend the product. I think that it is good. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Web Protection overall as about an eight. It has got some room for improvement, but I also never give people a ten. It does what I want it to do, generally. I think it definitely does what it says it does.
reviewer1182885
Security Operations Global Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 24, 2019
Permits the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of category blocking and anti-malware control

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is to permit the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of a category blocking and anti-malware control.

• "It's a solution that permits making a granular configuration and it is easier to deploy the same configuration on a lot of devices using the central console. It is the master of the product."
  • "The configuration could be simplified because it is more complex to make the configuration on McAfee. What can be improved is the support of the agent on smartphones, IOS or Android. That still now is not available yet."

What other advice do I have?

McAfee Web Protection is good technology. Absolutely. It has a very particular configuration that you can implement in a granular way. What is probably not easy to do is to do something simple. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
ManagerOd68c
Manager of BI at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
May 19, 2019
Easy to use and it protects our BI data from web-based threats

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security related to data that is coming from the internet.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it protects against threats that are coming from the web."
  • "The solution should be more proactive in regards to sending you updates."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product but at the same time, I would first check to see if there are any newcomers in the market. I would then do a proof of concept and test it out. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Businessa10d
Business Analyst at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 18, 2019
A stable solution, although it needs more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the user security side of things.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease in the configuration for security roles.

What needs improvement?

We need a better customer experience and more flexibility in the product. I would like to put in more roles for the users.

The solution is stable but it needs more. It is rigid.

Another person is responsible for dealing with technical support, so I do not have experience with them.

We did have an older product but this one had more features so we made the change.

This…
Download our free McAfee Web Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.