McAfee Web Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Protection is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Web Content Filtering tools. It is most often compared to Zscaler Internet Access: McAfee Web Protection vs Zscaler Internet Access

What is McAfee Web Protection?

McAfee is one of the world’s leading independent cybersecurity companies. Inspired by the power of working together, McAfee creates business and consumer solutions that make the world a safer place. By building solutions that work with other companies' products, McAfee helps businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of threats happen simultaneously and collaboratively. By protecting consumers across all their devices, McAfee secures their digital lifestyle at home and away. By working with other security players, McAfee is leading the effort to unite against cybercriminals for the benefit of all.

McAfee Web Protection is also known as McAfee Web Gateway, McAfee SaaS Web Protection.

McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

McAfee Web Protection Customers

Sicredi

McAfee Web Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Web Protection pricing:
  • "It is not very expensive. It costs 100 Canadian Dollars per year per license. I buy one-year or two-year protection. The license covers my PC, laptops, and telephone. The cost is per user but for multiple devices. It has just the standard licensing fees. There are some options for extended protection. For example, if I wanted to have a VPN, there will be an extra cost. So, there are upgradable features, but I'm very happy with what it is giving me with the basic plan. It gives me the basic privacy protection that I need."
  • "$150 Canadian per year."

McAfee Web Protection Reviews

Daniel Colombani
Lead: Incident Response, Investigation & Vulnerability Management at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Easily blacklist malicious sites both on premise and on the cloud

• "The most valuable is the blocking of blacklisted sites, a URL that is, either by intelligence or by McAfee, detected as a malicious site."
  • "We used a consultant to help us set it up. Unfortunately, he was not that good. They were out of McAfee people. He was a consultant and knew the product, but he was not a McAfee person. How they managed it and how they worked was not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We are using version 8. It is a Hybrid deployment. McAfee uses its own cloud. We monitor everything that is going outside of the United States, and that's why we can see any communication between our users who are outside of Virginia or the United States. We use it to see the communication between our users and outside the United States. We have almost 700 users. We have different departments and all the users. As well, we include servers for this; that we can block any server trying to talk outside to any site.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the best things we've found is when you are at home, all the rules that we applied here in our facility or our office go to the cloud. The same rules apply to anyone who works at home. And when you're at home and you're trying to say, "Okay, I'm not in the office, I can go to this site." "No." Because the same rules that apply here, also apply there, and we block the ability to go to any site that is found on the blacklist. That's improved a lot lately because now we have almost zero PC compromise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable is the blocking of blacklisted sites, a URL that is, either by intelligence or by McAfee, detected as a malicious site.

I have used McAfee Web Protection for two years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

The scalability of McAfee Web Protection is excellent.

The technical support is great. When we put in a ticket, they respond in a few hours. If we put in that the server is down, we get a call in half an hour.

I used Sophos before; Sophos Web, as well as the Sophos app. We wanted to expand our capability using other products. And Sophos doesn't give you that capability to do it all. Another thing is, I'm the manager of the operation. And something I don't want is to have so many different parts from different vendors. And then when you want to put in a ticket, now you need to call one vendor, then other vendors. And I was looking to have it all in one place, everything that I need. And McAfee Web Protection gave me that solution.

The initial setup of McAfee Web Protections is straightforward. It took around three days to complete. The implementation strategy was; first, block blacklist all the websites. Second, we move monthly monitoring different sites that people go to or sites that people need to go to, but we detect that it is malicious. Then we make an investigation because we are the entity that makes investigations. Maintenance is every time they update when new versions come out. It takes a few hours. That's another thing that's nice about McAfee Web Protection, it's straightforward. You download the update, put it there, and in a few hours, it is there.

We used a consultant to help us set it up. Unfortunately, he was not that good. They were out of McAfee people. He was a consultant and knew the product, but he was not a McAfee person. How they managed it and how they worked was not straightforward.

I think it's in less than a couple months, we are receiving a return of investment because when we start blocking a malicious site that before was compromised on our computer here, is the time to clean that computer, reimage that computer, we stopped that. That's why we say, the last year we have maybe one or two computers compromised because they go to a bad URL and download an app at work. We detect it fast and block the site. Also, we can control where you go and what you see. If you go to a particular site, we can block videos or pictures. That means the efficiency of our people goes up. Now you have a return of investment because people are not losing their time watching videos through YouTube or other sites and we can control that through the website, through the equipment.

When we started to buy the appliance the starting point was a little expensive. It depends on how people see it. In my case, they give a nice price. We are a government agency and they have a contract with us here in Virginia, they gave a nice discount and everything. We bought two appliances that have enough power for managing almost 30,000 users. We are using less than 1% of capacity. And this was a great feature for us because we never come to capacity, but we know that we have enough power to move anything that we want here. I would rate McAfee Web Protection a nine out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I think right now that the product is the top one in the market right now. And we used another before then. One of my guys is working with it. He's the expert with this. And he told me that he's very happy with them.

Private Cloud
Jean-Luc Des Groseilliers
Owner at JLDG
Good reporting and protection, stable, and doesn't take much system bandwidth

• "It doesn't seem to take too much system bandwidth, and I also like its reporting. Once a month, it gives me a reminder of the activity. It reminds me that the protection is on, and if there are any issues, it summarizes those minor issues. During the month, it only notifies when there is something special."
  • "The True Key version for mobile phones should be improved. The password manager is not as seamless as on the desktop. Once implemented, on the desktop, when you go to the site, it automatically fills and connects you, whereas, on the mobile phone, it doesn't do that quite seamlessly. You need to open the True Key application and then select the password you want to use. It then opens in the browser. There are fewer steps in the desktop version as compared to the mobile version."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the LiveSafe version for the endpoint protection of my main computer, two portables, and a mobile phone. I am also using the True Key password manager that is a part of the package. It also has a feature to monitor identity theft.

How has it helped my organization?

When I look at the report, I see that it does the job. It notifies me if something happens with identity, email address, or telephone numbers that are still active, and I can act on it. Its identity protection had detected an old email address that I was not using anymore and reported it. Because it was an old email address that I was no longer using, there was no danger.

What is most valuable?

It doesn't seem to take too much system bandwidth, and I also like its reporting. Once a month, it gives me a reminder of the activity. It reminds me that the protection is on, and if there are any issues, it summarizes those minor issues. During the month, it only notifies when there is something special.

I'm not over-notified about things. When I get a notification from the McAfee system, it is really something that needs my attention.

What needs improvement?

The True Key version for mobile phones should be improved. The password manager is not as seamless as on the desktop. Once implemented, on the desktop, when you go to the site, it automatically fills and connects you, whereas, on the mobile phone, it doesn't do that quite seamlessly. You need to open the True Key application and then select the password you want to use. It then opens in the browser. There are fewer steps in the desktop version as compared to the mobile version.

I have been using this solution for around five years.

I never had any hiccups. The upgrades or updates run smoothly. I don't remember having any issues after an update. I am very satisfied so far.

If I were in a situation where I needed to protect more devices of my family, I would be able to go with it. I don't expect that it would cause any problem.

I am using it extensively. I use it daily on my phone and portables.

I never had to use their support. For the last five years or so, I've not had any issues.

I have used Norton, Avast, and Symantec. Avast was kind of giving me notifications left, right, and center. These notifications were sometimes not that meaningful, which was annoying. McAfee provides a good monthly summary, so you don't have to run after it. During the month, I only get the notification of important issues. When that happens, you know that you need to take action. Otherwise, you basically don't hear about it.

I went to McAfee while switching my main computer. I wanted to move my existing software, which was an older solution, but it was more expensive than what McAfee had to offer. I had used McAfee ten years ago, so I was familiar with the company, and of course, the product had evolved quite a bit. For my needs, the cost was okay, and as compared to others, it was a little more competitive at that time.

It was very simple. I added identity theft and True Life and just followed their guidance to install. It was simple, and I did not have to contact anybody.

Recently, I changed my telephone, and it was really simple to disconnect the old one from the protection and connect the new one.

It is not very expensive. It costs 100 Canadian Dollars per year per license. I buy one-year or two-year protection. The license covers my PC, laptops, and telephone. The cost is per user but for multiple devices.

It has just the standard licensing fees. There are some options for extended protection. For example, if I wanted to have a VPN, there will be an extra cost. So, there are upgradable features, but I'm very happy with what it is giving me with the basic plan. It gives me the basic privacy protection that I need.

What other advice do I have?

The LiveSafe version works very well and has a very small price. It is definitely a solution to consider.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10. It is very rare that I find something perfect. There is no major issue with the product so far. Once in a while, I do the review, and it seems like its engine is performing well in terms of protection.

Learn what your peers think about McAfee Web Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jean-Luc Des Groseilliers
Owner at JLDG
Great for scanning and for protection against unsafe websites

• "The solution does what it's meant to do."
  • "Lacking filter for spam."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for protection, basically for scanning. Sometimes it pops up to warn me that I'm connecting to a site that is unsafe and it blocks access. I work as a CIO along with others in the company and we offer our consulting services to different companies. I'm a customer of McAfee.

What is most valuable?

My aim is to make sure that when I try to connect to a website, for personal or business reasons, I'm not taken to an unsafe site. Sometimes you are on a site with a connection to a document or something and the message pops up that it's unsafe. That's what I'm looking for in this solution and that's what I get. It's a good product.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by providing a little more information. Sometimes I'd like to  know why a site is considered unsafe. Is the site on a list or is there a component within the site that is problematic. That could be a feature they add in the next release. If I had  more details, I could make an informed decision as to whether or not I wish to proceed. I would also like to see more coverage for spam.

I've been using this solution for five years.

This is a very stable solution although sometimes I get a pop up about the amount of resources being consumed and access is slow as a result. The solution may be a bit demanding in that sense. McAfee could perhaps try to make it more seamless or less demanding on system resources, but other than that I didn't see any specific slow down. It doesn't prevent me from installing safe packages.

I previously used Norton but that was a bit cumbersome. And I also tried AV Defender for a short period, it's a company from the Netherlands, I don't think it's a main player.

The initial setup was very straightforward and I did a refresh at one point which I do once in a while. It went very smoothly so I don't have any complaints. Deployment takes a few hours if you're installing an entire computer but McAfee itself took maybe five or 10 minutes.

I believe the license costs something like $150 Canadian per year. It also covers my laptop and my phone. I believe I can cover up to five devices.

What other advice do I have?

I receive a monthly report and I've never had a problem so I presume that it's doing its job well. I don't get any viruses or have any issues. It's not strong in terms of spam filter so I do get that at times. Eventually, I'd probably consider added a spam filter but it's not a big issue for me.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

MarkGrover
Information Technology Security Consultant at Infosec Consulting ltd
Web Protection that does what it says it will and what you want it to

• "It has dependable anti-malware and intrusion prevention features all-in-one package."
  • "The manufacturerers should have more transparancy about exactly what is getting filtered when you use the product and why."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is the malware protection capability. Sometimes we use it for the firewall features, but normally it is just a straight antivirus product for us.

I work with clients to get it installed and I also use it personally.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for us is the anti-malware. It does have the IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) capabilities in there. I have used that personally as well and it is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

I do not know if you really need to improve Web Protection. The only thing I can think of that might be negative is that sometimes I get a feeling that web protection products are purposely filtering some sites that are not really malicious. I do not know if they try and guide you toward particular websites or away from others for marketing purposes. I do know that if you do not use web protection, you tend to see more websites. The dangerous ones are filtered. Maybe more transparency on what the filters do would be good.

I have been working for maybe about 10 years now with McAfee.

The stability of McAfee is good. No complaints.

Web Protection is scalable.

I have not personally contacted technical support but I have gotten feedback from people who have. Most people are satisfied with the fact that they do not have to struggle with the product so there is not much reason to be in touch with the technical support team. I have not heard people saying anything bad about the support itself, so I guess that is a good thing.

I previously used Websense by Forcepoint a long time ago. The main difference is that Websense was an appliance. So that was installed in the server room and then configured with policies and it was centrally managed. McAfee is not server-based, so you can install it on your own device — anywhere that you like really. McAfee may be easier to deploy and handle.

I think the initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people who want to use McAfee Web Protection would be that I recommend the product. I think that it is good.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Web Protection overall as about an eight. It has got some room for improvement, but I also never give people a ten.

It does what I want it to do, generally. I think it definitely does what it says it does.

Hybrid Cloud
ST
Network Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable and affordable with good malware protection

• "The solution is not too expensive. It's affordable."
  • "The solution could always use more security features. If it was more secure, it would be an even stronger product."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution on my system to protect me from getting any malware. It serves security purposes, for the most part.

What is most valuable?

The solution does a very good job of protecting my devices from malware.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is not too expensive. It's affordable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I'm not an IT person, and therefore can't speak to if there are any missing features. For me, it works quite well and I have no complaints.

I've been using the solution for the past two or three years.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I'm not sure if it can scale. I simply enter the key I purchase onto my device in order to protect it.

I only use it myself on my device. There aren't any other users on the license.

I've never dealt with technical support in the past. I can't speak to how knowledgeable or responsive they are. I've never really had issues with the solution.

The solution begins to install automatically when you enter the license key into the website. It's not a difficult process.

The solution isn't expensive. It's very reasonably priced. I pay a licensing fee in order to use the product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with McAfee.

I would recommend the solution to others. It works well for me and it is affordable.

In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Download our free McAfee Web Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.