McAfee Web Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Protection is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Web Content Filtering tools. It is most often compared to Zscaler Internet Access: McAfee Web Protection vs Zscaler Internet Access

What is McAfee Web Protection?

McAfee is one of the world’s leading independent cybersecurity companies. Inspired by the power of working together, McAfee creates business and consumer solutions that make the world a safer place. By building solutions that work with other companies' products, McAfee helps businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of threats happen simultaneously and collaboratively. By protecting consumers across all their devices, McAfee secures their digital lifestyle at home and away. By working with other security players, McAfee is leading the effort to unite against cybercriminals for the benefit of all.

McAfee Web Protection is also known as McAfee Web Gateway, McAfee SaaS Web Protection.

McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

McAfee Web Protection Customers

Sicredi

McAfee Web Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Web Protection pricing:
  • "It is not very expensive. It costs 100 Canadian Dollars per year per license. I buy one-year or two-year protection. The license covers my PC, laptops, and telephone. The cost is per user but for multiple devices. It has just the standard licensing fees. There are some options for extended protection. For example, if I wanted to have a VPN, there will be an extra cost. So, there are upgradable features, but I'm very happy with what it is giving me with the basic plan. It gives me the basic privacy protection that I need."
  • "$150 Canadian per year."

Daniel Colombani
Lead: Incident Response, Investigation & Vulnerability Management at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Easily blacklist malicious sites both on premise and on the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are using version 8. It is a Hybrid deployment. McAfee uses its own cloud. We monitor everything that is going outside of the United States, and that's why we can see any communication between our users who are outside of Virginia or the United States. We use it to see the communication between our users and outside the United States. We have almost 700 users. We have different departments and all the users. As well, we include servers for this; that we can block any server trying to talk outside to any site.

• "The most valuable is the blocking of blacklisted sites, a URL that is, either by intelligence or by McAfee, detected as a malicious site."
  • "We used a consultant to help us set it up. Unfortunately, he was not that good. They were out of McAfee people. He was a consultant and knew the product, but he was not a McAfee person. How they managed it and how they worked was not straightforward."

What other advice do I have?

I think right now that the product is the top one in the market right now. And we used another before then. One of my guys is working with it. He's the expert with this. And he told me that he's very happy with them.
Jean-Luc Des Groseilliers
Owner at JLDG
Good reporting and protection, stable, and doesn't take much system bandwidth

What is our primary use case?

I am using the LiveSafe version for the endpoint protection of my main computer, two portables, and a mobile phone. I am also using the True Key password manager that is a part of the package. It also has a feature to monitor identity theft.

• "It doesn't seem to take too much system bandwidth, and I also like its reporting. Once a month, it gives me a reminder of the activity. It reminds me that the protection is on, and if there are any issues, it summarizes those minor issues. During the month, it only notifies when there is something special."
  • "The True Key version for mobile phones should be improved. The password manager is not as seamless as on the desktop. Once implemented, on the desktop, when you go to the site, it automatically fills and connects you, whereas, on the mobile phone, it doesn't do that quite seamlessly. You need to open the True Key application and then select the password you want to use. It then opens in the browser. There are fewer steps in the desktop version as compared to the mobile version."

What other advice do I have?

The LiveSafe version works very well and has a very small price. It is definitely a solution to consider. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10. It is very rare that I find something perfect. There is no major issue with the product so far. Once in a while, I do the review, and it seems like its engine is performing well in terms of protection.
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Web Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jean-Luc Des Groseilliers
Owner at JLDG
Great for scanning and for protection against unsafe websites

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for protection, basically for scanning. Sometimes it pops up to warn me that I'm connecting to a site that is unsafe and it blocks access. I work as a CIO along with others in the company and we offer our consulting services to different companies. I'm a customer of McAfee.

• "The solution does what it's meant to do."
  • "Lacking filter for spam."

What other advice do I have?

I receive a monthly report and I've never had a problem so I presume that it's doing its job well. I don't get any viruses or have any issues. It's not strong in terms of spam filter so I do get that at times. Eventually, I'd probably consider added a spam filter but it's not a big issue for me. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
MarkGrover
Information Technology Security Consultant at Infosec Consulting ltd
Web Protection that does what it says it will and what you want it to

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is the malware protection capability. Sometimes we use it for the firewall features, but normally it is just a straight antivirus product for us. I work with clients to get it installed and I also use it personally.

• "It has dependable anti-malware and intrusion prevention features all-in-one package."
  • "The manufacturerers should have more transparancy about exactly what is getting filtered when you use the product and why."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to people who want to use McAfee Web Protection would be that I recommend the product. I think that it is good. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Web Protection overall as about an eight. It has got some room for improvement, but I also never give people a ten. It does what I want it to do, generally. I think it definitely does what it says it does.
CF
Security Operations Global Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Permits the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of category blocking and anti-malware control

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is to permit the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of a category blocking and anti-malware control.

• "It's a solution that permits making a granular configuration and it is easier to deploy the same configuration on a lot of devices using the central console. It is the master of the product."
  • "The configuration could be simplified because it is more complex to make the configuration on McAfee. What can be improved is the support of the agent on smartphones, IOS or Android. That still now is not available yet."

What other advice do I have?

McAfee Web Protection is good technology. Absolutely. It has a very particular configuration that you can implement in a granular way. What is probably not easy to do is to do something simple. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
ST
Network Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable and affordable with good malware protection

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution on my system to protect me from getting any malware. It serves security purposes, for the most part.

• "The solution is not too expensive. It's affordable."
  • "The solution could always use more security features. If it was more secure, it would be an even stronger product."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with McAfee. I would recommend the solution to others. It works well for me and it is affordable. In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
Download our free McAfee Web Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.