McAfee Web Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Protection is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Web Content Filtering tools. It is most often compared to Zscaler Internet Access: McAfee Web Protection vs Zscaler Internet Access

What is McAfee Web Protection?

McAfee is one of the world’s leading independent cybersecurity companies. Inspired by the power of working together, McAfee creates business and consumer solutions that make the world a safer place. By building solutions that work with other companies' products, McAfee helps businesses orchestrate cyber environments that are truly integrated, where protection, detection, and correction of threats happen simultaneously and collaboratively. By protecting consumers across all their devices, McAfee secures their digital lifestyle at home and away. By working with other security players, McAfee is leading the effort to unite against cybercriminals for the benefit of all.

McAfee Web Protection is also known as McAfee Web Gateway, McAfee SaaS Web Protection.

McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee Web Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

McAfee Web Protection Customers

Sicredi

McAfee Web Protection Video

Archived McAfee Web Protection Reviews (more than two years old)

CF
Security Operations Global Leader at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Permits the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of category blocking and anti-malware control

• "It's a solution that permits making a granular configuration and it is easier to deploy the same configuration on a lot of devices using the central console. It is the master of the product."
  • "The configuration could be simplified because it is more complex to make the configuration on McAfee. What can be improved is the support of the agent on smartphones, IOS or Android. That still now is not available yet."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is to permit the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of a category blocking and anti-malware control.

What needs improvement?

We are not satisfied with the compatibility of the solution with other devices, like smartphones. In the next release, we would like to see the support of smartphones. It's one of the things that we have been asking them for five years.

I have been using McAfee Web Protection for around six to seven years.

It is absolutely stable.

Scalability is good. It is easy to expand. We have more or less 100,000 of users right around the world that use this solution. All the people that work in our company use this solution to browse the internet. Anybody from the financial department, manufacturing, development, etc..

Currently, it's used by 100% of the people that work in our company. We have no visibility to expand. It would be useful to move from an on-prem to a cloud solution.

It is complex to set up the infrastructure. Defining the rules that permit or denies the internet address is complex. Also if you have to connect the appliance to different active directory domains, there is a complicated procedure to create the token that you have to upload on the device on.

The deployment took three to four weeks.

We used McAfee Professional Services for the deployment. They offer support for the first two weeks of the activity.

What other advice do I have?

McAfee Web Protection is good technology. Absolutely. It has a very particular configuration that you can implement in a granular way. What is probably not easy to do is to do something simple.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

LV
Manager of BI at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Easy to use and it protects our BI data from web-based threats

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it protects against threats that are coming from the web."
  • "The solution should be more proactive in regards to sending you updates."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security related to data that is coming from the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

This product simplifies the risk of creating additional customized solutions for data threats.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see easy-to-use documentation regarding new threats.

The solution should be more proactive in regards to sending you updates. Rather than simply being informed of an update and then have to click on it if you want to, the service packs should be installed automatically.

The stability of this solution is ok.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good, but it's always "I'll call you back", especially when there are no threats.

We usually just call our IT department and they take care of it. On a couple of occasions, I have called them directly. I'm in the BI world, so our environment needs to be very secure. I think that they should have different levels, or tiers, like a general user, advanced, and your pros. Instead of going back and forth several times, talking with customer support, it would be easier.

We did not use a solution prior to this one.

Using this type of solution is best practice in the industry. It is easy to use and it is affordable.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We handled the deployment in-house.

The IT department was responsible for choosing the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product but at the same time, I would first check to see if there are any newcomers in the market. I would then do a proof of concept and test it out.

Learn what your peers think about McAfee Web Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VT
Business Analyst at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution, although it needs more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the user security side of things.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease in the configuration for security roles.

What needs improvement?

We need a better customer experience and more flexibility in the product. I would like to put in more roles for the users.

The solution is stable but it needs more. It is rigid.

Another person is responsible for dealing with technical support, so I do not have experience with them.

We did have an older product but this one had more features so we made the change.

This…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the user security side of things.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease in the configuration for security roles.

What needs improvement?

The solution is stable but it needs more. It is rigid.

This initial setup for this solution was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
The URL filtering policy makes rules to block a website where a user should not be able to access it

What is most valuable?

The feature which I have found most valuable is the URL filtering policy.

This feature:

1. Gives me a opportunity to make rules for blocking a website where the user should not be able to access it.
  2. Then, McAfee Web Gateway also classifies the sites and categories them.

How has it helped my organization?

In a company, where about 1000 end users are active, the McAfee Web Gateway are protecting us from threats.

Sample: A user clicks a link in a spam/phishing email, the URL gets blocked by the reputation/category. The end user is protected from phishing attempts or ransomware campaigns.

What needs improvement?

From the McAfee site, I see no areas for improvement.

As a company or an IT department, you should have a look at the Advanced Threat Defense to build up your security solution with the McAfee Web Gateway.

For about two years.

No. No issues at all.

No. No stability issues have been noticed.

The McAfee customer service is great. As mentioned in my earlier review, this is a top 10 customer service.

10 out of 10. McAfee's technical support is a great way to solve your problems.

Fast response, great assistance, and understanding from the tech support team.

A lot of config will need to be done. If you don't know what you are doing, or if you don't know the product and it's config, you should contact either McAfee or a partner to them for help.

In-house.

As a consultant, this isn't applicable to me.

Even if the product, as well with the Advanced Threat Defense costs a lot, it's a long-term investment and will help you with attacks.

However, the first protection should always be knowledge by your users, and second protection should be products, such as the McAfee Web Gateway

The implementation was already on it's way, so no evaluation of other products was done.

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at the Advanced Threat Defense implementation, and implement it with the McAfee Web Gateway. This is a more advanced filtering of files which could inflict damage upon your company or end users.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are gold partners to McAfee where we are working tight together with them.
it_user365724
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has built-in AV & malware inspection. Full granular policy customization capability.

Valuable Features:

This product has built-in AV & malware inspection. Full granular policy customization capability. SaaS and integration with ePO completes a full security solution (HIPS/IPS/IDS/SWG/AV).

Improvements to My Organization:

Less complex policy to administer, complete visibility with a single pane of glass when integrated with ePO.

Room for Improvement:

Add McAfee Client Proxy agents for mobiles to Web SaaS instead of the consumer based mobile security platform. Adding CASB feature would get McAfee ahead.

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Download our free McAfee Web Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links